Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books on Medieval Europe and Rome

Heres another great book

Richard Muir - Castles and Strongholds, Macmillan Press, Published 1990.

It covers the development of Castles and fortifications in England from the ancient Celtic times to the English Civil War period.
    _
    The more the words, the less the meaning and how does that benefit anyone? BIBLE: Ecclesiates 6:11

i dont think anyone mentioned ibn fadlan's tale, the arab emissary visit with the vikings, it was used for that crichton book 'eaters of the dead', i found the book quite amusing actually, as an arab lifestyle just seemed to be a million ways different than the vikings ways, hence the recurring shock the arab storyteller kept experiencing...

pillage, plunder, burn...

I am doing a degree in Classics, so my recommendations are going to be based pretty much exclusively on Rome.

LIVY: THE EARLY HISTORY OF ROME

A great account of ancient and republican Rome dealing with the birth of the city, it's growth and wars with others, the ethics of Roman life, ending with the invasion of Gauls who sack the city. It's great and easy reading and there are some really memorable moments like Horatius, a single man who takes on the whole Etruscan army one at a time so his comrades can escape.

TACITUS: ANNALS OF IMPERIAL ROME

Another great (but biased) account of Roman history- this time under the empire. It details the politics and intrigue of the imperial house and has some good accounts of the wars in Germany and Africa.

ROME AND THE ENEMY: SUSAN P MATTERN

A modern author dealing with the intricate details of how Rome kept control of it's provinces, with military social economic and psychological factors all taken account of- essential reading for any empire builder

There are also some great Greek military histories around, and I recommend

HERODOTUS: HISTORIES

An account of the war between Greece and Persia, excelent on battles and culture clash. Particularly memorable is when 4000 Greek soldiers fight to the death against 3,000,000 Persians.

THUCYDIDES: HISTORY OF THE PELEPONESSIAN WAR

Account of the war between Sparta and Athens by a man who was actually there.

HOMER: THE ILIAD

If you don't know about this book, I feel like reaching through my monitor and kicking you in the face. This epic poem details the Trojan war, and is a beautiful work of literary art. It shows the creulty of warfare, the paradox of only being able to have a good life if you risk death for glory in battle, set against gods who care nothing about men. I could go on for hours, but I will spare you. But please try to read it.
    "When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box." -Italian proverb

Great list Nice job to everybody for their contributions.
    Here's min:

Lionhearts: Richard I, Saladin and the Era of Third Crusade by Geoffrey Regan (Walker Publishing, 1998)

Excellent read which offers nice bios of the two warriors behind the Third Crusade. Recommended.
    "Your army flees! A pox upon the cowardly wretches!"
    - Catholic Army Routing 1

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Thumbs up

-
    I wish to add a link, rather than a book, which contains dozens of books in PDF format:

Case Western Reserve University Library

You can find several volumes of a wider English history published in 1905, a history of Roman Empire and other books not essentially related to history.

I've been printing one of the beasts for the last three and half hours.
    _
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Deus lo volt Chronicle of the Crusades by Evan S. Connell

If you haven't read this, go out and get it immediately and prepare for a mind blowing read. No namby-pamby politically correct nonsense here-- the man writes like he was there. Magnificent. Gruesome. Unbelievable but true.

Deus lo volt
    Join Today!

Hmmm. Medieval warfare: A history sounds pretty good. I'll have to see if I can find it on any sites I regularly buy from.
    “A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship But it is not this day, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day This day we fight” – Aragorn, King of Gondor

-=Allies & Axis Total War=-

A couple of my personal favorites are

Iron Men and Saints
    The March of the Barbarians

Histories of the crusades and the barbarian invasions out of the steppes. Both are fantastic books authored by Harold Lamb. A must read.

the night in medieval england-1000-1400 mongol warrior 1200-1350/imperial chinese armys[2]590-1260 AD/the armies of islam7th century-11th centuries. all good books with nice ilustrations and maps plenty info as well. also the bowmen of england a nice paper back chronicling the longbow men of england/wales can justify why they were considered the best bowmen troops of all time. [open to debate?]

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have a look at
    Emperor:The gates of Rome

dont remember the name of the autor.It was released in 2003

Its about Julius Caesar.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Wink

-
    Not a history book at all but, Victor Hugo's 93 (Quatrevingt Treize) pictures an outdated medieval/feudal population on the background of royalist Vendée revolt in 1793. You have a 'good' impression ('good' according to the intents of the author) on how a feudal baron or serf would believe, think and live.

This was discussed at the COM a few weks ago, in the thread for the Childrens' Crusade.

_
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

I'm reading The Punic Wars by a bloke called Nigel Bagnall, reprinted in 1999 by Pimlico. It's first class on the strategy of the two empires, and pretty good at the tactical level.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BlackFireStorm @ Oct. 03 2003,02:48)]The Name of the Rose
    Umberto Eco

The one good book by Eco, too bad the movie murdered it. As a story it is worth reading by itself, and the incredible erudition of Eco makes it a must for medieval culture buffs.
    Every decent medieval history book I can think of has already been listed. That said, there's not much up there for medieval fiction. I saw the above reference to Eco and thought I would point out that he has another very good medieval book. It is called Baudolino and recounts the life of a medieval conman. Not a whole lot of military tactics in it (though there is warfare) but an enjoyable read overall. Very funny. Read the first chapter if you see it in the book store. I guarantee it will hook you.

For anybody interested in the Normans let me suggest the following:
    The Normans By R Allen Brown
    A good overall synopsis of the Normans, their civilization and things they did other then conquering britain such as conquering sicily and half of italy.

Harold and William By Benton Rain Patterson
    This gives insight into the events leading up to Hastings in 1066 and then the battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings as well. It also gives some insight into Harold's and William's lives, their families, their beliefs as well.

Knights By Adrea Hopkins
    This book has some information about Norman knights that may be interesting to some, as well as a plethora of medieval paintings as well as some done just for the book. I found this book to be enjoyable and I think many of you would like it just the same.

Anyways...thats all I have for now, maybe some more later, take care all.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Sharon Kay Penman's books. Great medieval historical fiction set in England and Wales. I've read her series covering the lives of Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, Simon de Montfort and Edward I: Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning. Also her work on the life of Richard III - The Sunne in Splendour, where she presents a compelling portrait very different from the traditional Shakespearean one.

She's very readable yet challenging and sophisticated. Good dose of battlefield storytelling in each, and she's good at it.
    An E:TW AAR on the American Revolution: The Long March of Liberty

Very Interesting Rufus, I will check those, or at least the one on Richard III...

www.deremilitari.org

Everything you need to know about medieval warfare.
    .increase the peace

Can i suggest some great works of fiction too:

1. Colleen McCulloughs Masters of Rome series (the nearest thing to Historical Fiction Heaven that i have ever read). There are 6 books charting Romes story from the rise of Marius and Sulla to the fall of Caesar.

2. Kevin Pressfield's 'Gates of Fire' and 'Tides of War' and 'The Last Amazon' all telling of Ancient Greece c500 b.c. Again absolutely breatjhtaking in their range and ability to bring the whole era to life-the battle scenes are particularly compelling

3. Ross Leckie's 'Hannibal', 'Carthage' and 'Scipio' poetic (rather than historic) and takes some liberties with the established history but haunting nonetheless

Oh and let me strongly endorse Rufus's suggestion about Sharon Penman's books-she is my fave Historical fiction writer bar none-brilliant brilliant imaginings of a great era in English (and Welsh) history...'The Sunne in Splendour' was and is the only book that has had me weeping at the end

My only gripe with Sharon Penman is that she takes so long to write her books......

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

I just got this book:

Quote[/b] ]Medieval Warfare: A History.
    Edited by Maurice Keen.
    A collection of essays on Medieval warfare from the Vikings forward 700 years. It pretty much perfectly covers the era that MTW and VI are set in and reveals some truths about how battles were fought and the development of siege warfare. Always readable, never stuffy, invaluable in order to get a deeper grasp of the era of MTW.
    for $5 on eBay
    robotica erotica

Here is one I found in the bargain bin at Borders.
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to The Roman Empire. This is a title in the long and numerous series of Complete Idiot's Guides. This is the series that comes in an orange colored cover, as opposed to the For Dummies series that is yellow. The author is Eric Nelson, Ph.D., and it is great for reading while you are on the can.

The Civilization Of The Middle Ages (sometimes printed as Medieval Civilization) By Norman F Cantor

a very ingrossing beginners guide to medieval europe, from the fall of rome till the discovery of america, providing first as a pretext the earlier history of civilization in very brief form

its a shame so much of Livy's works have been lost to us

Hey, some good books to read about history, are the usborn world history books. They have lots of pictures timelines, and information on the more important events that took place during the period in question. They also talk a lot about city life from the peasant point of view and the wealthy point of view. Hope this helps.

Quote[/b] ]The Civilization Of The Middle Ages (sometimes printed as Medieval Civilization) By Norman F Cantor
    Right now I'm reading Cantor's The Last Knight: The Twilight of the Middle Ages and the Birth of the Modern Era. It's a look at the life and times of John of Gaunt, using him as a prism through which to view the transition from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance. Very interesting, very readable, very relevant to MTW fans
    An E:TW AAR on the American Revolution: The Long March of Liberty

Cool

Hi All,

To complement the above thread.

The following books are also excellent - both informative and interesting to read:

Dungeon, fire and sword : The Knights Templar in the crusades / John J. Robinson.

A great account of all the crusades with detailed battles and strategy as well as an in-depth look at the Knights Templars. Thoroughly enjoyable narrative.

Warfare, state and society in the Byzantine world.
    Haldon, John F.

Intricate details of the armies, campaigns and tactics used by the Byzantines. Tells you about the real sizes and the truth about the Kataphraktoi and Pronoia Allagion.

A Short History of Byzantium. Norwich, John Julius

The most famous book Byzantium - excellent narration, solid facts and moving. By far the bext book on Byzantium.

Cheers
    To persevere
    beyond the crimson horizon
    pervading the darkness
    enduring forever

Osprey is one of the best publishers on mlitary history, and they are very interesting books.

Try the firedrake.com (books by Cicelia holland)
    Prince Alexius of the Byzantines

I'm currently reading an excellent book by Amin Maalouf. i hope it hasn't been listed (I didn't see it mentioned). It's called The Crusades Through Arab Eyes. It's very difficult to put down and rather interesting to see the non-western side of the events. Cheers
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire-

But I see my favorites have already been listed except for one:

TheHeimskringla

by Snorri Sturluson (who you may have seen as general should you play as the Danes) is basically a history of the Kings of Norway done in epic poetry. It goes from the age of myth to the year 1177, linking Odin with St Olaf: history with myth. You also get to the see the Norman invasion on England through the viking eyes, and the Joms Vikings make brief cameos throughout. It reads much easier than other epic works from the same time, such as the Song of Roland. Really a must read for any serious Viking or Dane player.

Why can't we get handwritten books any more. Illuminated script is a joy to read.

I recently got my hands on a beautiful replica medieval bestiary. If you, like me, are sick and tired of the lies put forward by modern biology books, get your hands on a bestiary There's not a single mention of dinosaours, evolution or any other claptrap, and provides interesting religious links between each and every one of God's creatures and the Bible. Admittedly, not everyone's cup of tea, though ideal for someone like me, who permanently resides in a medieval mindframe :)

I am now interested in finding books on the other three essential areas of medieval science; Physicianship (human anatomy and health), Alchemy and Astronomy.

If any of you know of any translations of medieval texts that cover any of these topics, I would be grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanx
    thomasdimontessi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast