Thread: Mark Antony

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Default Mark Antony

Im curretnly playing through Rome2
    and have now completed as Antony three times in a row, so might be a good time to move onto Octavian.

So it got me thinking, most of what we know comes from the victor of the conflict, and the sources are very much biased, in my opinion.

SO

What are peoples thoughts on Mark Antony?
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Mark Antony

Mine are colored by McCullogh's excellent fictionalization. Not really in depth on the particulars.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There is always going to be bias when you're being bankrolled by the dynasty that won! Barring some massive finding of papers we are left with Plutarch and Cicero. We get a wild man, drinking and gambling his way nearly to empire. How did he get in that position? Brain? Brawn? Right place? One can't be certain.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It’s been a while since I read up on this, but at least part of it must be due to him being Caesar’s political proxy during the run up of the civil war. Caesar needed an elected official on his side - and M. Anthony was of the right age and ambition - and would be unlikely to win without Caesar’s support. This would have positioned him as a prominent member of Caesar’s entourage, more so than his later rival, the unknown and untested Octavian.

And we shouldn’t take Roman gossip at face value. Quite a few members of the Roman political elite had attracted nasty rumours during their early career, including Caesar himself.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    It’s been a while since I read up on this, but at least part of it must be due to him being Caesar’s political proxy during the run up of the civil war. Caesar needed an elected official on his side - and M. Anthony was of the right age and ambition - and would be unlikely to win without Caesar’s support. This would have positioned him as a prominent member of Caesar’s entourage, more so than his later rival, the unknown and untested Octavian.

And we shouldn’t take Roman gossip at face value. Quite a few members of the Roman political elite had attracted nasty rumours during their early career, including Caesar himself.
    Nasty rumors were stock in trade for Roman elections. No libel or slander laws of substance back then. Attack ads are NOT a new invention.

I think Antony had been tapped as the "successor" in Caesar's faction -- he had served Caesar loyally and (at least on the battlefield) well. His mismanagement of Italy and Rome when Caesar departed for North Africa and his thwarting of Caesar's efforts clearly had him pushed to the side. I think Caesar had tapped Octavian to be his faction successor at that point -- but Caesar expected to conquer Parthia and points East and then return to Rome to live out his last decade or so. He figured he had 15 years or so to groom Octavian and could therefore afford to discard Antony.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    There is always going to be bias when you're being bankrolled by the dynasty that won! Barring some massive finding of papers we are left with Plutarch and Cicero. We get a wild man, drinking and gambling his way nearly to empire. How did he get in that position? Brain? Brawn? Right place? One can't be certain.
    Cicero, is quite an interesting point to discuss.
    We know he wasnt being bankrolled, unlike Virgil, and he hated tyranny and felt government powers must be limited. The attack on an enemy of freedom (the second philippic against antony) is a good read.
    I seem to also remember in Virgils Aeneid the shield of Aeneas shows depicts Rome's glorious future, including the battle of Actium in 31 BC, where Augustus defeated Mark Antony, setting the beginnings of a new hopefully peaceful fuure.
    ShadesWolf

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Nasty rumors were stock in trade for Roman elections. No libel or slander laws of substance back then. Attack ads are NOT a new invention.
    Didn't this impact also the fact that he was dating Cleopatra? Her being so famous made the rumours even more spicier for the common Roman folk.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Didn't this impact also the fact that he was dating Cleopatra? Her being so famous made the rumours even more spicier for the common Roman folk.
    totally agree mate, the Cleo thing must have seemed really spicy
    ShadesWolf