Thread: Shogun Warlord Edition War Stories.

Post your war stories here battle stories,Campagin stories.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

for a real treat, search the forum for posts from Maltz (m.i.a.) and you'll read some great stories.
    also, i had a pretty well-illustrated thread about a huge river battle...

LOL, Bring it on Vanya

------------------
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Ah hah, I have one:

Once upon a time, the Oda clan decided to crush the rebel defenses in Kaga. The rebels consisted of many WM and YS, although the upgrades were not high. The oda attacking force consisted of highly upgraded Naginata, SA, YC, HC and some Arques.

The rebels dfended with 3200 troops and the attacking force 3600.

The defenders took up position in the two forests on the hills and oda made the mistake of attacking the far woods first [stupid error on my part, misread the mini-map]. Huge numbers of WM suddenly charged on odas flank but luckily he had prepared and sent two cav. units round the side. The Naginata held up the WM while the cav caught up and slaughter ensued. Whilst Odas attention was diverted to this lightning attack the second half of the rebel army attacked and only some rapid shooting halted the advance. Meanwhile two Kensi were deployed, one to each battle. The one fighting the Monks only survived a little while, taking 40 lives with him. Oda had survived with very few casualties when the rebel reinforcements arrived however the units were very tired so all archer units were pulled back and to replace them, 2 CA units and a NC. The NC suffered heavy losses to the rebel A and S but held them up long enough for the remaining Kensi and the archers to arrive and slaughter them. The last remaining units were taken care of without mercy. The tired units had suffered large casulties but ended victorious.

Rebels
    Total Troop Count:: 3200
    Total Men Killed:: 1316
    Total Men Lost:: 2527

Oda
    Total Troop Count:: 3600
    Total Men Killed:: 2524
    Total Men Lost:: 1341

Unit Type: Kensai
    Is General: NO
    Is Daimyo: NO
    Leader Name: Asakura Nobutsuna
    Kills This Battle: 159
    Losses This Battle: 0
    Soldier Honour Armour Weapon Kills Friendly Kills How Soldier Left Battle
    1 ------ 8 ------ 3 ------ 3 ------ 159 -------- 0 ---------- VICTORIOUS

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zone (edited 12-30-2001).]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

part I

It's late 1590s, and the time is winter.

The formidable Mori clan had won serials of decisive victories against the once mighty Hojo at Kai area.

While the overall troops of Hojo still greatly outnumbered Mori 3 to 1 (about 30000 vs 10000), at least in the Musashi area, a window of opportunity opened.

And if the Mori could succeed in taking Musashi, they would be in great shape in consolidating the newly conquered provinces. Otherwise, the sheer number of Hojo might force them to abondon the hard-earned territory.

So, lead by the fearless rank 5 general Kurushima Michifusa, they attacked.

However, Hojo sensed the great invasion and shipped great reinforcement.

And instead of facing 2000 enemies, the 1500 brave Mori soldiers found that they had to face 4300 heavily armed Hojo troops instead.

And it turned out to be most glorious and most bitter campaign for Mori ever.

For in the end. While Mori prevailed against the overwhelming odds against them, only 200 of the 1500 Mori remained, while barely 600 of the original 4500 Hojo troops left to taste the bitterness of defeat.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 12-30-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Rather than posting make a site which could be a good idea, and the org would put a link to it on the main site.

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

*L*I really don't have any really good storys to tell. My battles are either dismal failures or Trully brilliant victories. I'v rarely had a trully close battle. Last game, I got 700 kills and lost..65 men. ANother game I killed 90 and lost 250. Never even.

However, I'm quite proud of what I did today.

I was faceing off with Mori at Kawachi province. He was loaded with Samurai archers and YA, I had Monks and YS. I had been bitterly defeated 3 times at this province by there archers pounding my Ashi and Yari into dust while I tryed to defend. THis time I learned. I did not defend at the bridge.

I put my monks, archers and Daimyo on a medium sized hill to the west and my Yari samurai on a slope to the south edge. The computer attacked my WM on the hill. THe Samurai came down from the southern slope, 2 units closed off the bridge and the rest attacked the rear gaurds Mor ihad setup. Meanwhile my Monks absolutely trashed his army and they ran. Then the rear gaurds broke and about 400 men from the original 1600+ men headed towards the bridge. *LOL* They chouldn't pay the toll to my Yari samurai who had taken the bridge and EVERY LAST MAN was killed. THis batttle whould have brought a tear to Lord Odas eyes.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength."- Shang-ji Yang, essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

I got a good one (IMO) I finished this campaing (I just cant spell that can I? about 1 and 1/2 hours ago)

In 1564 the oda clan was hard pressed the great fortress of Owari had been taken in a monstrous battle Odas warriors fought bravely and in the end Oda Nobuhiro himself was killed. Nobunaga who had been in battle in the east came to the Secondary Citadel of Totomi to take comand of the Clan A brave force of 1000 warriors were holding the training grounds of Shinano but Lord Nobunaga knew they would not last more than 2 seasons of Shimazus pounding attack. In the first attack about 1500 shimazu troops were sent they were repulsed with medium casualties (I didnt play this one i was too busy trying to pull troops from my eastern campaing, Hojo was putting up stiff resistance) My troops lost about 150 men the second attack was a little bigger Shimazu sent a larger force about 1700 men it was again repeled with medium casualties (about 500) once again I didnt play. Lord Nobunaga knew that the 3rd attack would be led by Shimazu Takahisa himself So Nobunaga also went to lead his troops in Shinano. He also sent 120 NDs from Kai 120 SA from Totomi and 120 NC from Musashi it came out to about 1400 troops. Shimazu sent 2300 fresh troops (3/4s of those it had in the area, The rest were putting down revolts i think)

Since i was defending I could choose were to put my men. On the Eastern side of the valley there is a large forest the land around it is tough to move in and it was winter making it very tiring for any troops that would try to attack the forest. I put my troops as close to this forest as I could (since it didnt let me put them INSIDE the actual forest. Once i started i moved them inside the actual forest. I arrayed my SAs facing outwards in 3 line deep formation and gave them leave to fire at will. There were 2 120 Yari Ashigaru right behind the SAin 2 lines and my 47 man YA I put on the western edge of the forest to see if they could flank. My YS were behind the YA and my 1 120 ND was on the easter edge of the Forest. The NC were outside the forest on the Eastern edge. Shimazu sent 2 YC up the southern edge of the cliff to attack my SA a quick charge from the YA killed many of them and they broke after my 47 man YA hit their flank. All this time my SAs fired on the NDs and YS that were coming up the Southern side. The NDs were decimated before they even got close to the Forest only 20-something (dont remember the actual number) survived to charge at my lines and those were killed. I Issued my YA once again even though they were tired (Main reason i sent them out again: Try to slow down shimazus YS and SA. They broke after about a minute of Melee but since my main force was YS i didnt care ) they had also given my archers enough time to wreak havoc on the enemies YS. Unknown to me at the time some SAs were trying to sneak up the northern face of the cliff. Luckily I noticed and sent my NC. out of 240 SA only 24 escaped my NC too were hurt badly. Only 74 made it out of thereBy the time my YA broke the YSs numbers were down to only about 1/2 of their original number When they were on the eaves of the forest in sent my YS and told my NC to flank to the right. (I was pretty sure their archers were also out of arrows) There was a fierce fight between My YS and the enemies YS but since my men were fresh and theirs were tired after a long climb and a tough fight with the YA my men prevailed (with heavy casualties though) My NDs were about to flank when the archers charged them and with the archers came Shimazu himself they took care of most of the archers but that heavy cavalry was too tough for them and they broke. Luckily Shimazu had too little troops left that werent ingaged in battle to exploit the destruction of my right flank (southern) he Thats when Lord Oda went in he fought with shimazu himself and smote him down with his own sword(ok this is a little far-fetched my YS took care of shimazu after they finished their fight but hey it sounds better 1 daimyo killing another than A YS killing one. In the end the Shimazu Clan stood broken. 1573 of their men had died that day but Lord Oda also paid a heavy price only 578 men survived that bloody day. It is said that the ghosts of those killed continued to fight for several days *cough* AOE *cough* This proved the decisive defeat for shimazus eastern front and it was destroyed completly shortly afterwards. Unfortunatly Lord Oda died in the retaking of Owari...

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 01-02-2002).]

campaign is too easy, not that ive tried it since the patch on expert

I had a rather excellent start for a 1530 (MI 1530, not original) Takeda campaign recently.

I decided to forgo my normal cautiousness for what I thought was a brief little game, and took 1 YC, 1 CA and my daimyô from Kai and attacked Musashi with them in the very first season. Coincidentally, Hôjô decided to invade them from Sagami as well. So there I was, my face towards the Bridge of Death, 2 Uesugi YS waiting on the other side, and the Hôjô force of 2 YS, 1 SA and their daimyô at my side. I waited for a brief while, on the off chance the Hôjô wanted to ally with me and go to the bridge first...

"Sir, why do the Hôjô unit icons read ENEMY and why are they deploying YS along our cavalry's flank?"

"Oh Hell!"

But - I saw the Uesugi YS, the defenders of the bridge, deploying farther to the rear of their spacious defence area (as the AI does), apparently to avoid being pounded by arrows from the other side of the river. And thought: what the heck, this campaign's as good as lost anyway. And charged right across the bridge.

And lo and behold - I slipped two 120-man regiments of cavalry *right* past the Uesugi YS, who could only kill a couple of men off my flank before I charged past them. Then I deployed on a hill and broke out the popcorn as the Uesugi and the Hôjô went head-to-head on the Bridge of Death.

Well, after much slaughter, the Hôjô daimyô was killed (that's what happens to cav when you fight YS on a bridge), and the rest of the Hôjô force promptly routed. Then I wandered along, shot the remaining Uesugi YS full of holes with my CA and swept them up with the YC. Curiously enough, I also had to kill a couple of the remaining Hôjô, because they had routed *sideways* (being a neutral participant in the battle, they retreated towards the side of the map, not either end) and got stuck on the river shore.

When all was said and done, I had taken Musashi on the first turn with minimal casualties, and caused the immediate annihilation of both Hôjô and Uesugi (the daimyô of the latter was apparently killed by rônin or something). My garrison was minimal and I had to fight massive hordes of peasant rebels on Musashi before it was pacified, but still, that was a much better start for a campaign than I expected.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Dagor Aglareb (The Glorious Battle. thank you Silmarillion )

It was Summer of 1567 and The Takeda clan seemed to be doomed it was surrounded by 3 enemies: Uesugi Kenshin in the east was re-building after a large battle in Musashi (though he repeled my Forces he lost 200 more men than mine) Oda had conquered Shinano after 3 battles and their army seemed to have no end (PEASANT HORDE! and some cavalry) Kai was holding up and no one seemed to care about Izu. In the Fall of that year a large (800 men) force of Uesugi soldiers took Sagami without a battle unfortunatly Takeda Nobutora's troops had not been able to raze everything before the invasion. Nobutora was beggining to lose hope. A large Oda force was stationed just north of kai in the newly captured Shinano and 800 of Imagawas best men were stationed in Suruga. Nobutoras heir Takeda Shingen got an Idea he and his best 1000 men would launch an attack into suruga and launch a diversionary attack at Shinano. Nobutora Agreed to this plan except it left very few troops to defend Kai from a Uesugi attack. Luckily Uesugi wanted piece by now and sent an Emmissary there was peace in the east and this made Shingens attack possible. It was excuted in the spring of 1567 with one addition Nobutoras 500 men would be going with shingen since he knew that suruga would be tough to attack he would sent so many troops imagawa would have to vacate without battle, it worked perfectly. Nobutora went back to kai and left suruga to Shingen. In the summer the Largest battle Japan had seen up to that date happend. Imagawa Attacked Suruga and their brought their friends Oda with them. Clan Oda sent 1800 troops (Excacly 1800 im taking this from the logfile, they sent 3 Yari Cav 2 N.cav 4 SA the rest were YA & YS) Clan Imagawa sent 1680 troops most of which were YS and SA (with some ND and YA no cavalry though) while Takeda Shingen had just 1440 troops (1 Nagi Cav 3 Heavy Cav 2 YS 2 ND 1 YA 2 CA, None of these troops were full the most had 115 the least had 62 at the start of the battle)

Suruga is an easily defensible map. In the Southeast it has a Large hill with Forest on 3 sides 2 small openings to the west (it has a smaller forest in the middle of these) I stationed my troops knowing that attacks would be coming from the North and the west. My troops were on the top of the Large hill with the HC at the summit, the NC taking the rear and my Infantry was around these troops. It took a while for the enemy troops to get in position at the bottom of the hill, Oda was taking the west and Imagawa took the North (They thought since they were all Infantry it would be easier for them to cross the Forest) It looked like a Siege more than a battle 3480 men surrounded Shingen and he knew failiure meant the destruction of his clan. His 1440 men would either break the backs of Oda and Imagawa or die. The first attack at Shingens position were 74 Imagawa S.A they were charged just as the cleared the forest by CAs and broken only 27 survived YS were coming up behind the SA and thr CA had to get away thanks to the reliability of Takeda Horses they did. At the same time some Oda YA and SA were coming from the west (the small forest) Shingen immediately sent his YA to attack they were afraid but did their job (only 7 survived the battle ) as the hit the Oda lines Shingen sent his 1 of his ND they broke the remaining Oda SA and YS once they were fleeing Lord Takeda told them to return. On the Imagawa front the YS (75% of their force) had made their way up the hill and were heading for my CA when they were close Shingen sortied my own YS and Flanked with his other ND a great struggle was in the making many Imagawa Samurai were surprised to see Infantry in an army they though was All-Cavalry, they were slaughtered 100s of YS died on that hill. The Imagawa YA were in the west and were not caught by surprise they were sent to flank Shinges YS (there were only 170 in the beggining of the battle if they would have flanked succesfully who knows what would have happened) On the Oda front The 3 YC had made their way through the forest so Shingen sent his only YC to slam into their formation he also move 2 of his HC to face the direction of the oda troops in preparation to charge (This was happening when Imagawas YS were caught by surprise) the YC slammed straight into the Oda YC who were just past the eaves of the small forest there were heavy casualties for oda but if given a few more seconds they would have circled Shingens YC and Slaughtered them, they were about to when HC slammed into their Left and right flank! (These were obviously the 2 that Shingen had made ready to charge) while this was happening 120 YA and 120 NC (Oda) were trying to sneak up behind the hill Shingen saw them and ordered his remaining HC to hit the Oda NC his own unit also went to fight the YA (he was the NC)there were heavy Oda casualties here as well. By this time Imagawas YA were trying to flank the 2 takeda CAs saw this and charged straight into them they ordered the ND that had been pulled back to come up behind them because they knew they could not take 3 YA themselves. The YA were intercepted and did not complete the Flanking. Back in the small forest to the west a large melee was happening between the Oda YC and Shingens 2 HC and YC when Odas other YA smashed into the HC they had seen them from before and were ready but they would still need some help. The NC and YA who were caught by Shingen were slaughtered to the last man (Shingen himself killed 11 of them) Lord Takeda now saw the Oda YA were in Melee with his other HC and YC so he sent the HC he had taken with him (which had 113 men) to help he himself went north to kill Imagawa Ujizane who was the general (Ujizane was the only one to escape his Hatamoto was killed by Shingens unit) The battle by now had turned into a full rout for Imagawa and Odas troops were wavering when the remaining Takeda HC hit the Oda YA they broke and were slaughtered by the hundreds some tried to make a last stand at the eaves of the main forest and were slaughtered to the last man. So ended the Dagor Aglareb. It completly broke the Imagawa clan and only 100 remained to defend totomi which was taken 2 seasons later Oda Nobu... (Nobunagas Father) was assassinated the next season and since Oda nobunaga was among the slain in the battle he had no heir the western threat to clan takeda ended 3 seasons after the glorious battle... these were the stats:

Player Name:: Oda
    -----------------
    Player Type:: CPU
    Clan:: ODA
    Stance:: Attacker
    Koku Allocated:: 0
    Koku Spent:: 0
    Number of Units:: 15
    Total Troop Count:: 1800
    Total Men Killed:: 126
    Total Men Lost:: 1132

Player Name:: Imagawa
    ---------------------
    Player Type:: CPU
    Clan:: IMAGAWA
    Stance:: Attacker
    Number of Units:: 14
    Total Troop Count:: 1680
    Total Men Killed:: 41
    Total Men Lost:: 681

Player Name:: Takeda
    --------------------
    Player Type:: HUMAN
    Clan:: TAKEDA
    Stance:: Defender
    Number of Units:: 12
    Total Troop Count:: 1440
    Total Men Killed:: 1813
    Total Men Lost:: 181
    (Why do you think I called it the Glorious Battle?)

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 01-13-2002).]

I might live to regret this but... http://www.geocities.com/nkw10/games.html

Scroll to the bottom to find 2 different war stories. One complete and the other posted by my lazy, slacker-loser fried Obex. This was done primarily for each others amusement so be gentle.