Thread: Breaking points

1 thing i have noticed in custom battles is breaking points for units.
    At what points do units rout eg how many men left etc.
    I know u vets out there will know when and how to break them
    So how many units u gotta kill till they rout.I know will be different for each unit at different honor etc

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Whats with all the questions...Oh i'm feeling faint oh no zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only joking!

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

The "rout" decision - or more properly termed - morale failure - occurs when a unit feels that it has no hope of survival or success if it continues to fight, and thus routs in an attempt to save the lives of those remaining men.

There is not a single "point" at which a unit with specific stats will fail. Simply put, its a conglomeration of factors - friendly units nearby, flanks covered and supported, number & type of enemy troops, speed that casualties are taken, type of ranged fire taken, etc. If you take a unit and have it drop - say 35% of its total manpower under one volley of arrows/gunfire, its very likely it will immediately break and run. If you have a unit locked in even combat and then is flanked or reared by a high-power attacker that it cannot face, then again - it will break quickly. Tactical positioning (friendly AND enemy) has ALOT to do with morale.

As you can see - there is no "simple" answer. The biggest morale breakers - losing your general, having enemy units in/on/near your flank or rear, having other (friendly) samurai units rout near or thru the unit, and being under Heavy ranged attack - especially from guns. Others are height, lack of support, outnumbered heavily, etc...

Hope this helps!
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

*very faint*

collapses!

------------------
    Lets rain bullets on them. . but make sure you bring the Umberella!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944