Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (hoggy @ May 21 2004,00:24)]Howdy, i have a question. I'm thinking about building Olog-Hai units for METW and they need to be the size of a small elephant like the excellent ones Flip has done for HTW. Do I need to use multiple BIFs to make this larger unit or will it fit on one BIF page if i reduce the number of anims? Hope someone can help.

many thanks - hoggy
    a maximum of 2 bifs per unit are allowed,
    one for the animal/vehiclke and one for a rider/driver.

thus all the animations for the animal would needs be in one bif file,
    but you could put riders in another,
    getting the two to work together will take some effort and is not something i have attempted.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote[/b] (CountMRVHS @ April 27 2004,15:12)]Thanks for the welcome

Now, when you say "contact" those folks, do you mean "contact them about their mods" or "contact them with my question about adding Francland"?

And, how would I go about contacting them, other than scanning for their names and hijacking threads - something I don't want to do

I've got a lot of mileage out of Starkhorn's excellent Faction guide for VI -- is it too much to hope that there is some similar guide for making changes to the campaign map? Is there a repository of this knowledge sitting around somewhere I'm unaware of?

So many questions

Thanks for the reply

~:D
    editing/making a campaign map,

almost exclusively we use Wellington's LukMapMaker (LMM) to make our campaign maps,
    you could do this by hand but it will take you literally ages,

i made a 6 province map by hand in the early days and it was a nightmare.

Download LMM versions 3 and 4,
    the instructions are in the readme files of those tool versions.

B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Many thanks Barocca, I was actually after finding out if Flip's HTW elephants used one BIF or not (not including the riders). The Olog-hai are essentially trolls the size of an indian elephant and I'm just trying to work out if a unit can be elephant sized without being made out of two BIFs. Anyone know? Flip? :)

- hoggy

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

In the Gnome editor for units, there is a column titled 'Scale'. The larger the scale, the more the bif is enlarged.

Good luck

ok i cant find gnome editior any where and it lets you edit units right
    Formerly ceasar010

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Lightbulb

Welcome to the Dungeon ceasar010,

You can find Gnome Editor through Files (in the menu which you can see in the topleft of your screen) => Tools => UnitBuildProj_Editorv2.0 made by LordGnome.

Cheers, Duke John

Hi Guys This is a great Forum I have been following the Tips posted here for some time and have had some nice Successes especially with tips from LOS, Barocca, dessa14, Starkhorn,and KekvitIrae.You guys are really Fantastik(Vielen Dank/Thank You) But i was wondering if anybody knows how to replace an existing MTW Faction's Shield images with a Viking age one? I would like to replace the Burgundian's Shield Images with the irish from the Viking era. I tried copying the Irish.BIF from the Vikings Castleflags to the MTW Castleflags and renaming to Burgundian. Did the same for vikings/prebatshields to MTW Prebatschields, Christian/Schields/Vikings to MTW, Muslim/Schields/Vikings to MTW, and finally Battle/Flags/Vikings to Battle/Flags. then went to early.text and changed Burgundy line to "Irish_lge" "Irish_sml" "Irish" "F1014" "F1014". the Game doe not work then. Does anyone Know what I did wrong? Thank you all for the Help.

Shogun TW question.....

I know it's old, but I've been using it to cut my teeth modding and I've enjoyed what I've managed thus far.

In brief, I'm re-inventing the game in an 18th c. European model.

I'd like to know if there is a way to make the AI deploy it's muskets in two ranks like it does for the Korean Javlines (who seem to be the only troops to deploy in two ranks).

The idea being to replicate 18thc 'Platoon" fireing systems. I have to sckew the AI's numbes and such to make up for the fact that it dosen't use the faster musket reload speed (a shot every 16 seconds) and in a firefight, gets chewed.
    Present your piece..........FIRE

Does anyone know how to remove NTW, I want to play medmod instead. I've already tried to use Crazy Ivans original stats but the graphics are still crewed up.
    Thx all

1) What exactly does "starting honour handicap" column in unitprod.txt file? Does it makes every produced unit start at specified valour level and thus improves stats accordingly?
    I thought, that it could be used to improve accuracy of some missile units without granting them new missile weapon, am I right?

2) What`s the morale bonus (not honour level), specified in unitprod file?

The moral bonus is to do with how easily units flee.

Units with poor moral i.e. Peasants flee easily.

Quote[/b] (Myrddraal @ May 31 2004,16:05)]The moral bonus is to do with how easily units flee.

Units with poor moral i.e. Peasants flee easily.
    Then how does it differ from "honour level"?

Hello

I have some problems to create a new faction I following the guide but nothing happens after. Im not interessted in creating a complete new faction, i want only create one for custom battles. Can you just sum up what is importent for custom battle-factions.

Thanks

Woreczko, honour/valour level is how good the unit is in combat. This increases with battle experience (and other stuff).

Morale determines when a person will flee. If they are heaviy outnumbered and they have lost a lot of men, they're going to have low morale. If their flanks are protected and they're beating the enemy, they will have high morale.
    May your first child be a masculine child.

Quote[/b] (Kaatar @ June 01 2004,12:45)]Woreczko, honour/valour level is how good the unit is in combat. This increases with battle experience (and other stuff).

Morale determines when a person will flee. If they are heaviy outnumbered and they have lost a lot of men, they're going to have low morale. If their flanks are protected and they're beating the enemy, they will have high morale.
    Hmmm, I`m pretty certain that "honour_level" entry is responsible for the base morale of your unit, for example religious fanatics have 8 honour level and they start battle in an impetous state, just like knights (usually), despite they are not awesome fighters.
    However I don`t know what "morale bonus" is responsible from. Most units have a flat 0, but fanatics have 4, clansmen 2, longbows 4 (it`s not a complete list).

Woreczko u may have noticed that units wich say 'poor moral' in the description and run away easily in battle, like peasants, have a moral bonus of -2.

I'm fairly certain about this one.

Yes, but peasants have also -2 honour level. Same goes for urban militia (-1 honour, -2 morale bonus).

Let`s look at archers, they have also poor moral in the description:
    Archers INFANTRY 225 5 1 0 80 60 1 DISCOURAGED "CATH_REBELS(15), CATH_LOYALISTS(15), CATH_PEASANTS(15), CATH_BANDITS(15), CATH_ZEALOTS(15), ORTH_REBELS(15), ORTH_LOYALISTS(15), ORTH_PEASANTS(15), ORTH_BANDITS(15), ORTH_ZEALOTS(15), MUS_REBELS(15), MUS_LOYALISTS(15), MUS_PEASANTS(15), MUS_BANDITS(15), MUS_ZEALOTS(15), CATH_HERETICS(15), ORTH_HERETICS(15), MUS_HERETICS(15), PAG_REBELS(15), PAG_LOYALISTS(15), PAG_PEASANTS(15), PAG_BANDITS(15), PAG_ZEALOTS(15)" FN_ENGLISH "POVERTY_STRICKEN(143.75), DESPERATE_DEFENCE(11.5), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST(92), CATHOLIC_NAVAL_EXPANSIONIST(92), CATHOLIC_TRADER(115), CATHOLIC_CRUSADER_TRADER(115), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST_CRUSADER(92), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE_CRUSADER(92), POPE(57.5), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE(92), CATHOLIC_ISOLATIONIST(57.5), ORTHODOX_DEFENSIVE(92), ORTHODOX_EXPANSIONIST(92), ORTHODOX_STAGNANT(115), MUSLIM_PEACEFUL(115), MUSLIM_EXPANSIONIST(92), MUSLIM_DEVOUT(92), BARBARIAN_RAIDER(46), REBELS(115), CLOSE_TO_SUPPORT_LIMIT(25.3)" { BOWYER } "MISSILE, AMBUSH, ANTI_SPEAR, WEAK" ALL_PERIODS YES "HEIGHT( 85 ), RADIUS( 25 ), SCALE( 120 ), PROJECTILE_TYPE( SBOW ), SAMURAI( NO ), MARCH_SPEED( 6 ), RUN_SPEED( 10 ), CHARGE_SPEED( 11 ), MIN_TURNSPEED( 2 ), MAX_TURNSPEED( 8 ), TURN_TO_MOTION_SPEED( 8 ), MAX_INMOTION_TURN( 96 ), FORMATION_WIDTH_SPACING( 75 ), FORMATION_LENGTH_SPACING( 75 ), ENGAGEMENT_THRESHOLD( 1500 ), CHARGE_BONUS( 1 ), MELEE_BONUS( -1 ), DEFENCE_BONUS( -2 ), ARMOUR_LEVEL( 1 ), HONOUR_LEVEL( -1 ), AMMO( 28 ), FORMATIONS_PREFERRED_NUM_ROWS( 3 )" NO "own_unit_tooltip1, own_unit_tooltip2, other_unit_tooltip1, other_unit_tooltip2" "PESTUNIC, YES, YES" ALL_FACTIONS "Missile, Shocktroop, Spear, Cavalry" "SKIRMISH(2), ADVANCE_PARTY(1),
    OUTFLANKING_FORCE(1), MAIN_BODY(1), HOLD_TERRAIN(0), RESERVE(0), REINFORCEMENT(1), ASSAULT(0), ASSAULT_COVER(2), ASSAULT_COVER_CASTLE_ATTACK(0), COVER(2)" 0 NONE YES 1 NO 0 0 SWORD YES ALL_PERIODS ALL_FACTIONS

They have no moral bonus (so I guess 0) but -1 honour.

Another example:
    FeudalKnights CAVALRY 425 21 1 0 80 40 1 PREFERRED "CATH_REBELS(5), CATH_LOYALISTS(10), CATH_PEASANTS(5), CATH_ZEALOTS(5), CATH_HERETICS(1)" "POVERTY_STRICKEN(23.1), DESPERATE_DEFENCE(23.1), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST(277.2), CATHOLIC_NAVAL_EXPANSIONIST(277.2), CATHOLIC_TRADER(231), CATHOLIC_CRUSADER_TRADER(231), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST_CRUSADER(277.2), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE_CRUSADER(184.8), POPE(115.5), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE(184.8), CATHOLIC_ISOLATIONIST(115.5), ORTHODOX_DEFENSIVE(184.8), ORTHODOX_EXPANSIONIST(277.2), ORTHODOX_STAGNANT(231), MUSLIM_PEACEFUL(231), MUSLIM_EXPANSIONIST(277.2), MUSLIM_DEVOUT(277.2), BARBARIAN_RAIDER(369.6), REBELS(231), CLOSE_TO_SUPPORT_LIMIT(97.02)" "{ROYAL_COURT2, ARMOURER2, HORSE_BREEDER2}" "ATTACKER,AMBUSH,ANTI_MISSILE,CAVALRY" ALL_PERIODS YES "HEIGHT( 125 ), RADIUS( 50 ), SCALE( 138 ), PROJECTILE_TYPE( NONE ), SAMURAI( YES ), MARCH_SPEED( 9 ), RUN_SPEED( 20 ), CHARGE_SPEED( 22 ), MIN_TURNSPEED( 2 ), MAX_TURNSPEED( 8 ), TURN_TO_MOTION_SPEED( 8 ), MAX_INMOTION_TURN( 96 ), FORMATION_WIDTH_SPACING( 115 ), FORMATION_LENGTH_SPACING( 125 ), ENGAGEMENT_THRESHOLD( 2000 ), CHARGE_BONUS( 8 ), MELEE_BONUS( 4 ), DEFENCE_BONUS( 3 ), ARMOUR_LEVEL( 4 ), HONOUR_LEVEL( 8 ), AMMO( 0 ), FORMATIONS_PREFERRED_NUM_ROWS( 4 )" NO "own_unit_tooltip1, own_unit_tooltip2, other_unit_tooltip1, other_unit_tooltip2" HORSE "MAILHCAV, YES, YES, LiHorse" ALL_FACTIONS "Missile, Shocktroop, Spear, Cavalry" "SKIRMISH(0), ADVANCE_PARTY(1),
    OUTFLANKING_FORCE(1), MAIN_BODY(1), HOLD_TERRAIN(0), RESERVE(1), REINFORCEMENT(1), ASSAULT(2), ASSAULT_COVER(0), ASSAULT_COVER_CASTLE_ATTACK(0), COVER(0)" CATHOLIC 0 UNCONTROLLED CAV YES 1 NO 0 0 "BerberCamel, bedouincamelwarriors" FeudalFootKnights SWORD ALL_PERIODS

Feudal knights again have no morale bonus, but 8 honour value and IMHO that is why they have high morale. Maybe moral bonus is just additive to honour, in that case both of us are right, however I`m not sure.

Hi everyone,
    I've read through a few of your excellent FAQs in the Repository, and think I've already found the answer to my question, but I thought I'd do a quick post to check.

I'm doing a research project into developing an AI system to control large crowds of units, and I'm looking for a pretty interface to put over my ugly engine. I immediately thought one of the TW games might do a good job, but thought it best to check with the experts before I spend too much time on what is probably a dead end.

Is it possible to mod one of the TW games to have units controlled (in battle scenes) by my scripting?

As I said, I'm pretty sure from the FAQs that the answer is no, but I thought it worth an ask just in case.

Thanks in advance
    Aelf

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

Not really. You have to make ai scripts using a built-in scripting language, and that's only for historical battles. So it won't work properly.
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Hi all. I finally made a pretty good mod (for a newbie) where I enabled early Novgorod and added the Irisch, Serbians, and Lithuanians. I want to give the mod to my Friends so I downloaded the trial version of Win.zip 9.0. but i can't attach the File to an Email. I think it's too big(500mb). Is this file compressed or did something go rong? I use verizon email service. I would appreciate any tips from any knowlegable modders. Thank you.
    PS. Great thanks to LOS, Dessa, KevitIrae for all the great Posts.

Are you sure its 500mb? If it is, you should definitely take out soem files But if its 500kb, it sounds about right (sort of). If you've added the names and a new unitprod as well, it will probably come to this compressed. But I don't know why you can't send it. Its below the size aceppted by most mail services. it could be not accepting .zip files. You could try changing the .zip to something else, like .txt and telling them to remove this. But if it was really a 500mb file, you can only really use cd.
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Hi guys, I have a question:

How can you determine which title-naming system a mod uses? i.e. when generals are given a title, will their name appear as "Lord FORENAME" (as in Vikings) or "Lord SURNAME" (as in regular Medieval)

I am trying to get the Vikings naming system, but instead it is using the Medieval system.

Thanks.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Is that just for the factions with no surname?

Nope, it works (in Vikings) for factions that have both forenames and surnames. A "Sir Forename Surname" becomes "Lord Forename". That's what I'm trying to get to happen.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Is there any documentation for the binary format of .jjm files? I'd like to ouput my own from my own program.

Well, since there doesn't seem to be any response, I'll give a few more details. Maybe they will motivate someone too divulge.
    I'm about halfway through writing the engine for a operational/strategic game. It's a multiplyer turn based thing, on the We Go principle. That is, all players turn in their orders for their units, then the sim runs, and results are sent out. It can be played either over email or head to head.
    It's not hex based or province based, it's coordinate based. It's not a "Strategy" game in the traditional senese. Resource managment is about supply lines, not manufacturing.
    Each turn could represent 15minutes, or a week, depending on what is suitable for the scale of each particlar scenario. Similarly, map size could cover a few kilometers or a few hundred kilometers.
    I'm hoping to do actual combat resolution in a third-party game. So you could fight your battles in MTW, or Combat Mission or even on the Tabletop with Warhammer or DBA.
    Right now it has some basic map editing tools. In the near future, it will be able to read in DEM or similar topographic data to create the maps.
    Problem is, the formats for map files and similar things are undocumented for most of these computer games. So the user has to convert my maps and troops into the target game's map by hand, a complete waste of time.
    So, I'm looking game that will let write my own maps & OOBs in it's native format. Using the Historical Map format, MTW is fairly open for troop setup and deployment., but I need to be able to input terrain as well as OOBs.
    I've stopped working on most of the game until I can find at least one commercial game (that I like playing) that is open enough for my needs.
    As a benefit to you, I will be releasing modular chunks of the program as they develop. So, if I can get the format for MTW or STW terrain files, you could see a US Geographical Survey to MTW or STW convertor posted here soon.
    Anyway, any pointers toward a source for the file format would be most welcome.

Welcome to the Org, timoshenko
    .jjm files are certainly not images, I think they are like 3D objects. I am afraid that you will have a very hard time looking for an editor/exporter. CA has some unusual tools to make files, the buildings ingame cannot be modified either (except for size).
    Wellington was developing a tool for editing maps, but he is no longer around.

So...good luck
    Duke John

Thanks for the reply, Duke John. If there is no documentation, I'll have to try something else.
    ANway, after fiddling around a bit, I suspect that Historical Battles are single player only, which rule them out for my purposes. Maybe this was an obvious thing to test first, but I didn;t even consider the MTW would be limited that way.
    The maps can be loaded into multiplayer, but the force makeups and postions can't. I'm having a hard time believing the evidence before my eyes. Why wouldn't I want to play my against my friends in an Agincourt scenario? The "you setup in that circle, I set up in this circle" gets old after a while, IMHO. If I'm correct, any ideas on _why_ MTW was designed this way?

Hmm, ok, after digging around, it seems like I may be able to have multiplayer historical's using this flag in the Player:: entry of the .bdf file:
    LOCAL/ARTIFICIAL

But, since I only have one computer and one MTW, I can't test it. Has anyone verified that you can have more than one LOCAL player in a historical map? And if so, how do you set up the server and have clients log on?

The developers had mp-campaign originally in mind. This was changed but there are still traces of that in the files. That entry you found might be a leftover from an unfinished feature. In other words, don't have high hopes that you can pull it off.

Cheers, Duke John

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast