Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Default Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Ok Here is what i got there are a lot of difrences in the Start POS header for VI compared to MTW. the main one that drew my attention is the ability to set a scenario end date in VI.

Changing start dates in MTW Early and High lead to a CTD when the scenario finishes loading. Setting a Star of 1700 and an end of 1800 for the Late period casuses no problems in the first few turns at least. But hnow my head hurst so I am stopping for a while

BTW VI will accept a start date at least as early as 100ad.

So what I am going to try to do to get my game to work the way I want it is try
    setting my EARLY startpos as Late with a start of 1500 and an end of 1900. I will of cours have to make some changes in the Unit Production file(eg Crusader) to have the early units show up. Umm might be a big headache with royal knights as they change in each period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance510
    Ok Here is what i got there are a lot of difrences in the Start POS header for VI compared to MTW. the main one that drew my attention is the ability to set a scenario end date in VI.
    You can also define this in the MTW startpos. Hard coded default is 1453.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance510
    I will of cours have to make some changes in the Unit Production file(eg Crusader) to have the early units show up. Umm might be a big headache with royal knights as they change in each period.
    You shouldn't need to change that so long as you still have three comparable eras. Units are set to either EARLY, HIGH, LATE or "ALL_PERIODS". Two of the first three can be also used in conjunction as follows: "EARLY, HIGH" "HIGH, LATE". Whatever dates you use this should apply so you shouldn't need to change it. So if you could get away with using 2087, 2205, 2321 and 2453 (or 87, 205, 321 and 453) as your early/start, high, late and end dates you can then leave the unit prod file alone. Of course I'm not sure if the engine will accept any of those dates. Note: Using a different time frame will also remove all of the historic events, such as the Cathars, Children's Crusade, Council of Clermont etc. If you overlap the old time frame you will still see those events but happening at the wrong "times" so as to speak.

Caravel,
    Thanks for your reply. I will go over it tonight. I can see i will have some questions. But today is proving to be reall busy from the "real" world standpoint

hi guys, i just kicked in. been playing mTW for bout a year (mostly VI now), and i love it. just....it is all bout conquering, but i want to do more job with agents..and i heard there is an option to edit stats (valour) of your agents up to rank 9 (i wanna see grand inquisitor burn the pope :D:D)

Hi. I'm playing the BKB Super Mod and I would like to take the Indian Elephant unit from Hellenic and add it to the early era for BKB. I have both mods and tried to follow the adding a new unit guide to tranfer it over, but it didn't work out. The Super Early era disappeared from the choices, though I didn't edit it's startpos file. I think the problem is that the graphic for the elephant doesn't exist and I'd have to move the whole file into BKB. I think it uses lihorse. Can anyone help walk me through this. Thanks.

I have a question - can units set on huge ever take just one turn to complete, or is it hard coded at two?
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

BTW VI will accept a start date at least as early as 100ad.
    I'll add a little to that: it will accept start dates much earlier, but it gets buggy below 40AD - this seems to be the real threshold. I've found that if you start before 40AD all/most the kings will be unmarried and will spend the first turn deciding the need for heirs is urgent and marrying local peasant girls. It seems to be related to starting kings all being aged between 30 and 40 years old. And there's also a danger of having kings with a starting age of -64,000 years (approx!), and they will crash the game on the first turn.

If the game starts in or after 40AD, then all the start kings will be married from the beginning of the game and be aged between 30-40.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastJanissary
    Hi. I'm playing the BKB Super Mod and I would like to take the Indian Elephant unit from Hellenic and add it to the early era for BKB. I have both mods and tried to follow the adding a new unit guide to tranfer it over, but it didn't work out. The Super Early era disappeared from the choices, though I didn't edit it's startpos file. I think the problem is that the graphic for the elephant doesn't exist and I'd have to move the whole file into BKB. I think it uses lihorse. Can anyone help walk me through this. Thanks.
    Hi TLJ,

You will have a bit of fun doing this, as the Hellenic TW team did something very sneaky with their cavalry units If you've looked at the BIFs you'll see horses (and elephants) are already included, not put together in the same way as in MTW with a separate rider and mount. To get away with this they've still got the LiHorse listed as a mount for these animations (because a mount is still needed if it's declared as Cavalry), but the actions page entries for LiHorse (IIRC) have been "fixed" so that the "rider" animation (which already includes the horse) is attached to a single transparent pixel rather than the full mount animation.

The "elephant" animation is in the "SMAILCAV" folder in HTW, this will need to be copied across to your other mod (probably in a custom folder) with the bif files renamed appropriately. You will also need a horse animation reserved and not used by any other cavalry unit in your existing mod, then copy over the action page entries for LiHorse from HTW. This is likely to be your limiting factor, as all the horse animations will be used already. One solution would be to "remount" some of your cav units from LiHorse to maybe KHorse, then keep LiHorse with the HTW actions as your elephant "mount". Another possibility might be to change the definition of the elephant to INFANTRY in your unit_prod file. It should still work okay, you just won't be able to select it as cavalry if you do a "Ctrl-C" during battle. Obviously you would need to remove the references to its "mount" from the unit_prod file if you go this route.

It should be possible to do it this way, as I think that's how Cegorach has dealt with some of his cavalry units in the Pike and Musket Mod (eg dragoons which are "mounted infantry" do not select with Ctrl-C).

Hope this helps....

Discussion forum thread

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Although I am currently working on my Dark Ages Total War, I have a side mod for a Teutonic Campiagn (1226-1410). I have been working on some Review_panel graphics and would like your criteque (please be as objective as possible).

I will have more later. I am also wondering if BKB would allow me usage of some of his unit graphics and if the Hellenic team would too. Cheers!

Looks like a nice image, LYC

The one comment I would make is that self-made info_pics have a tendency to screw up if you use transparency within the image - although your bif looks in all respects like an MTW original, they will often have areas of black pixels around the transparency in-game. You can see this effect in some other mods - some XL info_pics do this for instance, and it occurs even if you simply open and re-save an original info_pic with Bif_reader. I've done much fiddling with palettes etc trying to overcome this but in the end settled for a more brute-force solution... namely using a section of the 366x448 parchment scroll as background, then cutting it to a straight edge so ensure a smooth edge where the "bulk" transparency begins. This works fine, and although it adds a bit to the filesize, I believe the black dots are too high a price for shaving a few bytes off. So long as the "parchment" section is properly aligned the joins will not show. I also find its worth keeping various colour tables, and my "info_pic" palette sees some heavy use for preparing ones from new sources.

But if you've found another way round this one, I'd love to hear it

If you want to use HTW bits I suggest you PM Komninos as he was the HTW lead programmer - he doesn't hang round here much any more but has popped in once or twice since I started my Ancient mod (which uses a LOT of HTW bits, with due acknowledegments and permission).
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-15-2007 at 14:15.

Discussion forum thread

Can you give me an example? Oh, a quick clarification, did you add any graphics to Ancient Totalwar? What I really need is those barbarian looking (forgot the file names) units. Are those yours?

Hi YLC,

A few of the Ancient:TW infopics are new, or rather, retouched: Nordic Halberdiers, Carpathian Swordsmen, Celtic Swordsmen, Tribal Warriors, Tribal Swordsmen, Tribal Axemen are the ones that spring to mind, and they would probably be the ones suited for a Dark Ages scenario. Feel free to use them, if they will serve your purpose. I'm not 100% happy with the swordsmen yet, though, so they will be redone eventually (the sword image I used was too low-res to be blown up to that size really, but hey, it's a genuine Bronze Age sword )

The actual files names will be (all .bif, obviously): Nordic_Halb, Carp_Swords, CelticWarriors, Barb_raiders, Barb_swords, Barb_axes (you will spot that the Celtic Swords and Barb swords are basically just mirror images - there must have been a lot of left-handed fighters in the Bronze Age )

See if you can identify where all the bits of the tribal axemen came from

Discussion forum thread

Thanks for the help Mascen Rufus. Looks obscenely complicated, but I may go ahead and give it a shot and see what happens, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    Hi YLC,

A few of the Ancient:TW infopics are new, or rather, retouched: Nordic Halberdiers, Carpathian Swordsmen, Celtic Swordsmen, Tribal Warriors, Tribal Swordsmen, Tribal Axemen are the ones that spring to mind, and they would probably be the ones suited for a Dark Ages scenario. Feel free to use them, if they will serve your purpose. I'm not 100% happy with the swordsmen yet, though, so they will be redone eventually (the sword image I used was too low-res to be blown up to that size really, but hey, it's a genuine Bronze Age sword )

The actual files names will be (all .bif, obviously): Nordic_Halb, Carp_Swords, CelticWarriors, Barb_raiders, Barb_swords, Barb_axes (you will spot that the Celtic Swords and Barb swords are basically just mirror images - there must have been a lot of left-handed fighters in the Bronze Age )

See if you can identify where all the bits of the tribal axemen came from
    Its the reason their are so many right handed people nowadays. They sent all the left handed people to war and stayed home themselves . Really though, thanks a bunch, that saves me some time editing creativly. The only thing left for me is whther or not I can use the animations. I have (read closely) zero skill as an animation editor. My main problem right now is coming up with enough animations for the Europeans because that vast majority are too heavily armored for use in DATW. If their is a guide to Animation editing (particulary for weapons, thats a major one) then I would be eternally grateful. If you want, use the link in my sig to see what I have done so far and give some suggestions.

P.S. - I love ATW by the way. Looks good. I keep trying as the Israelites, and have just a couple questions...

1) Why does everyone hate them? I can't seem to form an alliance with any of my eastern nieghbors, although the europeans welcome me with open arms.

2) Did you some how make assassins more effective? Every time I make an agent, it dies the next turn, especially priests, and particularly in provinces with ports.

3)Why do the Isrealites lack eastern swordsmen?

4) Do you mind if I put a link to ATW in my sig?

Quote Originally Posted by YLC
    1) Why does everyone hate them? I can't seem to form an alliance with any of my eastern nieghbors, although the europeans welcome me with open arms.
    Well, three thousand years later, things still haven't changed much But seriously, I think it's the culture difference - all the neighbours are "Muslim" culture, whilst the Israelites are "Orthodox".

2) Did you some how make assassins more effective? Every time I make an agent, it dies the next turn, especially priests, and particularly in provinces with ports.
    I don't think there's anything you can do to improve assassins stat-wise other than valour upgrades and practice, but there are a few things that may contribute to this - many factions can't build border forts (the "civilised" factions can, though), so I think the AI produces more agents to compensate. Also, I've followed HTW in having valour upgrades for agents, up to +3, so you can get some pretty good ones "out of the box", so to speak. I have considered changing this, but I like the brothel review panel graphics

I still might make it go Brothel1 --> Happiness only; Brothel2 --> Happiness + spies; Brothel 3 --> Spies v1 + assassins, which might help priests and emissaries survive a bit longer!

3)Why do the Isrealites lack eastern swordsmen?
    Purely for faction and tactical variety - but have you noticed the parashim and eastern light cavalry dismounts?

4) Do you mind if I put a link to ATW in my sig?
    Not at all, but would suggest a link to the "Downloads" thread rather than a direct link to the download itself, as that way you won't need to update it when new versions are released

@TLJ: you're welcome - if you come unstuck, just holler!
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-20-2007 at 11:17.

Discussion forum thread

Hi there,
    After posting in the specific mod threads themselves with little luck, I've decided to post my current question here. I use XL, and have recently downloaded the Hero Creator, and my question is obvious, how can I get the heroes on to the XL campaign(s)? I've been successful with the Hero Creator on the original campaigns, but am confused as to which Heroes and Changes Files I load for creating heroes on XL. If it helps I usually play from the Early Period.
    Cheers and thanks guys, Frunk.

Hi Frunk,

I've never used the Hero creator myself, so not sure how exactly it outputs the data, but you will need to enter the info into the XL_EARLY_HEROES.txt (same for high and late if necessary) in the campmap/names folder.

If you're making up new names that don't already exist you will also need entries in LOC/ENG/names.txt to translate them (you can use changes.txt instead, but I never bother - only one file to check that way!)

Good luck!

Discussion forum thread

Hi!

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, anyway..

I'm working on a mod that let's you play the vikings on the Europe map in Medieval. Instead of creating new factions I'm simply reorganizing some of the old ones to new regions, for example the Polish are now the Bulgars and the Italians are the Irish. Some are the same, like France, but basically it's a lot of switching around with the regions and factions. The mod starts in 793 btw..

However, I'm having a problem with the Mod.txt file (Early.txt), more specifically the SetRegion part. I have been assigning new regions to different factions and so on, and it worked fine until something happened and I have no clue what went wrong.. as far as I can see there is nothing wrong, but my mod no longer appears among the playable campaigns next to Vikings, Early and so on..

Does somebody know what the problem could be? It drives me crazy since nothing seems to be wrong, and it's worked up until now. It's extremely frustrating.

Hi Svitjod,

Yes this is just the place for the question Welcome to the Org

Remote diagnosis can be a bit hit and miss - but then it's not always easy close up either.. Anyway, from what you say, I assume that it was working up until you changed the region owners? Does this mean you got your Viking faction working first?

The fact that your campaign is not available in the start selection suggests (most likely, but not guaranteed) that the problem is a corruption in the formating of the startpos file. This could be something as inconsequential as a comma in the wrong place, but there are a lot of options.

So I would start by going over the SetRegionOwner lines very carefully, preferably start afresh - put it away, sleep on it, and have another look in the morning. I find most of my bugs take hours t sort out if I keep plugging away, but usually next morning I see it straight off

Check: are all the :: bits correct? Dropping one of these could kill it. Have you definitely placed the leaders in provinces the faction owns? (Although I did manage once to place a king in "enemy territory" and it still loaded). You haven't duplicated any provinces whilst cutting and pasting? If you miss one out there's no problem, it just goes to the rebels. Have you checked that the new region owners' culture lines up with the culture of the provinces they own (again this is one you can push a fair way, and I'm not sure where the breaking point is....)

Some things to try: remove all the MakeBuilding and MakeUnit entries from your startpos and try again - you may have culture clashes with building types. Disable all your other startpos files (just change the .txt extension to .bak, then you can change it back when you're finished without risking any damage to the contents ), then try reloading the game. Obviously this isn't going to make it work, but it might force the game to give you an error message, which might just help...

Was there ANYTHING else that you changed in that editing session?

If none of that finds it, then holler again

Discussion forum thread

Hi Svitjod,

Yes this is just the place for the question Welcome to the Org

Remote diagnosis can be a bit hit and miss - but then it's not always easy close up either.. Anyway, from what you say, I assume that it was working up until you changed the region owners? Does this mean you got your Viking faction working first?
    Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I'm sitting up close and it's definitely not easy. I could go for some remote diagnosis.. Well, yes it was working even when I had done a few changes to the SetRegionOwner lines, or rather, quite a few actually. I'm doing it for the third time now, having scrapped the two first corrupted files, and somewhere in the editing of SetRegion it just stops working. The mod just isn't there anymore, and for no apparent reason.

I didn't really get my Viking faction working straight away, instead I just started assigning new regions for all the different factions to start with and it seemed to be working fine. I use the Danish as Vikings and have given them Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

The fact that your campaign is not available in the start selection suggests (most likely, but not guaranteed) that the problem is a corruption in the formating of the startpos file. This could be something as inconsequential as a comma in the wrong place, but there are a lot of options.

So I would start by going over the SetRegionOwner lines very carefully, preferably start afresh - put it away, sleep on it, and have another look in the morning. I find most of my bugs take hours t sort out if I keep plugging away, but usually next morning I see it straight off

Check: are all the :: bits correct? Dropping one of these could kill it. Have you definitely placed the leaders in provinces the faction owns? (Although I did manage once to place a king in "enemy territory" and it still loaded). You haven't duplicated any provinces whilst cutting and pasting? If you miss one out there's no problem, it just goes to the rebels. Have you checked that the new region owners' culture lines up with the culture of the provinces they own (again this is one you can push a fair way, and I'm not sure where the breaking point is....)
    Since I didn't change anything else but the startpos file I'm guessing here's where the problem occurs. I'm very thorough when it comes to not leaving out commas and tab and stuff like that, but it's still possible I missed something.

I have started fresh three times now and the same thing happens every time. I'm working on the regions and something just happens and it's driving me nuts. I have not placed any leaders yet but that didn't seem to matter, because if it did, then the campaign wouldn't work from the start, right?

Duplicating provinces doesn't seem to matter either, but I'm still careful not to do that. And that goes for region culture as well. Even though I seem to be doing everything right, it simply stops working. The program is laughing in my face it seems..

Some things to try: remove all the MakeBuilding and MakeUnit entries from your startpos and try again - you may have culture clashes with building types. Disable all your other startpos files (just change the .txt extension to .bak, then you can change it back when you're finished without risking any damage to the contents ), then try reloading the game. Obviously this isn't going to make it work, but it might force the game to give you an error message, which might just help...

Was there ANYTHING else that you changed in that editing session?

If none of that finds it, then holler again
    I have removed all the buildings and units as you said but it doesn't matter. I didn't change anything else in the startpos file except changing "true" to "false" and giving the campaign a name.

Well, thanks for the help. I'm still in the dark here but I appreciate all the input. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Hmmm, sounds very odd, and if you get the same result three times in a row, I would guess there's something you're trying to do that it doesn't like rather than a random error causing a formatting fault. This is the point where I'd get methodical, and literally go through one change at a time, and test it at each stage. If that means doing one province change at a time, so be it. It sounds like one of those problems where you will need to know what it is, before you can understand why it's happening.

The program is laughing in my face it seems..
    Yes, and it does have an evil sense of humour, too.... some of the problems I've come across include things like not liking a particular file name even though the file itself is fine (prod files) and works perfectly when it has a name the game does like!

I don't think changing the title would affect it, although I did have something recently with either the title or campaign description playing up, but I'd need to have a look at my startpos file to recall what exactly it was. Maybe try a copy with and without the title change first before trying the province changes, at least get that out of the equation....

Discussion forum thread

Yeah, its extremely odd. If I could just figure out what's causing it.. but I guess I'll have to do it the way you said. One little change at a time. Tedious, but don't have a choice.

Sometimes this game seems to have a will of its own. Maybe it just doesn't like my mod and it wants me to take a hint. I mean, three times in a row!

Well, anyways. I have a couple of other questions aswell, perhaps you could help me with those too? I am a beginner at modding, and I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.

As I said I'm working on a Viking mod, because I really like that era. And to play the Vikings in VI without being able to raid the rest of Europe is no good. So what I'm wondering is:

-Has this been done before, and if yes, where can I find this mod?

-Is it possible to assign the ability that Vikings have to cross the ocean without ports to more than one faction. And does it even work in regular Medieval, or just VI?

-Are all the units in VI possible to incorporate into in regular MTW?

-Can I assign whatever units I want to a region as its special "bonus", ex. Saxon Huscarles in Mercia instead of Billmen?

-Are the special types of buildings in VI possible to use in regular MTW?

-Is there a way to make a ship jump directly from the Baltic to the Black Sea in one move, so as to simulate the voyage along the russian rivers?

I have more, but lets leave it at that for now. I'm a noob I know..

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Svitjod
    Yeah, its extremely odd. If I could just figure out what's causing it.. but I guess I'll have to do it the way you said. One little change at a time. Tedious, but don't have a choice.

-Has this been done before, and if yes, where can I find this mod?
    There is the AGE OF WARLORDS by BKB - look at the modding section of the MTW part of the forum, though there is no Blatic if I am not wrong, but at least you have America...

-Is it possible to assign the ability that Vikings have to cross the ocean without ports to more than one faction. And does it even work in regular Medieval, or just VI?

I doubt that. It seems a hardcoded option to the faction coded as FN_07

-Are all the units in VI possible to incorporate into in regular MTW?
    Yes, easily.

-Can I assign whatever units I want to a region as its special "bonus", ex. Saxon Huscarles in Mercia instead of Billmen?
    Yes, you can do what you want with this.

-Are the special types of buildings in VI possible to use in regular MTW?
    Yes, as long as you copy/paste them to the right building file.

-Is there a way to make a ship jump directly from the Baltic to the Black Sea in one move, so as to simulate the voyage along the russian rivers?
    Macsen can help you there, he told me it is so easy so I will save him the satisfaction, but it really is easy...

BTW Welcome to the ORG, I have dropped in here (the modding help section) after a long time, I must add, but it is the place where everyone started except the first, few 'discoverers'.

The main thing is to never give up - some 'hardcoded' limits proved to be possible to break a number of times already.

Default Multiplay problem with graphics change - NTW1

I've spent the last few weeks attempting some graphic changes to the NTW mod. Using Duke John's guide, bifreader and photoshop that now seems to be mastered. Changes have been made only to the figures themselves, uniform improvements. The whole thing works perfectly in SP. The problem comes when a number of us attempt a MP game. If I put up a game in the lobby nobody else can see it. With the unimproved version no problem.

The files that I have changed and sent to the other players are:

1. The 'Men' folder
    2: Unit prod
    3. The 'Names' file from ENG/LOC

Any ideas would be welcome.

As we're still not terribly familiar with modding I spose it would be nothing to do with altering the Hi res files and not the Low res ones??

falkonfive

Sample of the uniform changes which may be of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Svitjod
    Tedious, but don't have a choice.
    Not really, no... It's the "suck it and see" school of engineering, it may appear plodding and unexciting, but many discoveries have been made that way

There are two faction-naming "modes" that can used in MTW/VI - and if you compare the MTW and VI startpos files you'll immediately see the difference. Whereas MTW use faction and region names, VI uses numbers (eg FN_England, ID_Wessex, vs FN_02, ID_Landreg_07 etc etc)

So you need to know which mode you are going to use for your faction names. MTW mode really wants a Pope, I believe; VI mode allows you to have the raiding bonus/portless shipping for FN_07. I'm not sure if you can mix the two together such as using FN_07 in with named factions.... but suck it and see, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Cegorach
    Macsen can help you there, he told me it is so easy so I will save him the satisfaction, but it really is easy...
    The secret lies in defining the neighbouring provinces in the starpos file - regardless of what the map looks like, provinces are connected if you tell them they are

So what you'd need to do is edit your SetNeighbours:: lines so that you add the following:

SetNeighbours:: ID_BALTIC_SEA ID_ ......................... ID_BLACK_SEA
    SetNeighbours:: ID_BLACK_SEA ID_ .......................... ID_BALTIC_SEA

This will allow ships to pass between the two seas. Unfortunately you can't restrict it to just the Vikings.

Now you could also be really devious and allow access to the land regions along the rivers as well, so the Vikings could invade Kiev, for instance, or Pereyaslavl. But that would also require the addition of SetBorderInfo:: lines from the sea to the land region, as well as adding the SetNeighbours entry. Maybe try the Baltic-Black Sea link first

I'm a noob I know..
    Maybe, but all the great mods have been created by people who started as noobs, so don't let that hold you back And also when you ask questions it allows us to get some of our "secrets" into the public domain ...

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    There is the AGE OF WARLORDS by BKB - look at the modding section of the MTW part of the forum, though there is no Blatic if I am not wrong, but at least you have America...

I doubt that. It seems a hardcoded option to the faction coded as FN_07

Yes, easily.

Yes, you can do what you want with this.

Yes, as long as you copy/paste them to the right building file.

BTW Welcome to the ORG, I have dropped in here (the modding help section) after a long time, I must add, but it is the place where everyone started except the first, few 'discoverers'.

The main thing is to never give up - some 'hardcoded' limits proved to be possible to break a number of times already.
    I checked out the Warlords mod and its not quite what I'm looking for.

So, the raiding ability is hardcoded, and the FN_07 faction can't be used in regular MTW? In other words, there is no way whatsoever to use this function on the Europe map? Well, that's a death sentence for my mod I'm afraid.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

It can, but you won't get the Pope this way and you will have to redefine the entire faction section for the mod...

So, the raiding ability is hardcoded, and the FN_07 faction can't be used in regular MTW? In other words, there is no way whatsoever to use this function on the Europe map? Well, that's a death sentence for my mod I'm afraid.
    Not necessarily - I'm not 100% certain you can't define an FN_07 in the standard game, only suspect it's so... and the other way round, might be a bit more long-winded but it will work, is to rename the factions to the number system rather than the name system. That would require a "find and replace" edit on all files that refer to faction names (startpos, prod_files, loc/eng/startpos.txt (for faction info) etc). You wouldn't need to rename flags and shields as they're called by names that don't need to be the same as the "in-game" faction names.

If you go this route you won't have the Pope faction (a bit anachronistic in Viking era anyway) and the HRE will lose its "elective" system for new emperors, both of which are minor losses IMHO

In Ancient I have a full-Europe map that still uses ID_province_name notation with FN_xx numbered factions, so it can work on the large map.

@falkonfive

Nice unit changes for NTW

I'm not sure what your MP problem would be but it could be related to the hi res/lo res thing if different players are in different resolutions, but I'm afraid MP isn't my thing, although generally mods do work MP wise so long as everyone has the same install. If all the tests have been done from your development copy to someone with an install that may throw it, try doing a re-install for yourself and use that, rather than your development copy, to test MP.

The other point - it's simple to do the lo-res BIF as well, all you need to do is take your hi-res BMPs (12 for each BIF, as I'm sure you're well aware of now) and simply change image size in Photoshop down to 256x256, resave as the same filename but without the _H, then reload all frames into a new 256x256 BIF, and voila! Matching hi and lo res BIFs with the new uniforms.
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 02-18-2008 at 13:42.

Discussion forum thread

Hi MR,

Sorry about the late reply, only just found it. Thanks for the comments re mods tho like most beginners I guess the more ya do the better they seem to appear and it makes ya want to go back and redo the early ones. Does it ever end??

Sorted the MP problem now, still not sure what it was but tinkered and suddenly it worked. Will take your advice re low res bifs and do 'em. Once the great work is finished in a week or two then we plan to release the mod for general consumption, title 1809 NTW V5. Even tho I say it myself its now a pretty accurate Napoleonic mod and plays rather well. Ideal for the history buffs be they SP or MP. Combined with our historical OB's available on the site it will attract a few Napoleonic enthusiasts I guess.

Falkonfive

Default WIP

See above,

Meant to add these, couple of the latest of about 120 troop types we're using.

F5

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast