Thread: No Dachi or Monk

There Stats differ slightly so which one u like using now?Cost effectiveness.....

------------------

Clan Kenchikuka

Nod vs Monk in 1.02 is a nice topic.

Nods hon3 wep1 cost little less than monk hon2 and monks beat them.
    Nods hon4 beat monks hon2 but cost a little more.

------------------
    Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.
    I'm from Malta, but I'm not a Malteser.
    Visit my resource site here!

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

I only ever use ND in attack, or if I know im gonna b defending a hill. They have no armour so not good defenders. Yet on a hill rushing the enemy as they advance is very effective.

Monks is anther tale. They are pretty good bu not amazing. well positioned gun can rip them to shreds in a matter of seconds.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Well nd can be also in a defencive army. Just use yer ys or nag to hold along with wm but nd are the perfect guys for the flanking business

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

A lot of people i have faced will shot at an h2 monk instead of h4 or even h5 no-dachi, making 1 unit of monks good at absorbing all fire during a quick advance, won't work if your not attacking though.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

WM used to be the highest cost of my army. With the recent downturn, boss says cost need to go down by 1.02%.. wrong its 10.2%. Now ND or YS are the costliest, with two units of cheap H2 WM. They amaze me on how good they still are fighting higher honor nd and ys, not the most kill but effective. And they (WM) are still never the 1st to route.

------------------
    tootee the goldfish
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

Krast used to avoid using Monks in STW because they made things too easy.

Krast developed a 'no monk' army as a device to help learn the game when still a pup.

And that feeling remains now, even though the monks aren't so much better any more.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Newbies tend to take WM a lot when they play. Its a shame really because WM can easily be beaten when hit from flank aswell as front.

I remember this one guy I played. He chased my YC all round the map with his h5 WM,they got so tired. My YC ran behind my lines and rested, the WM attacked me in the centre and I simply wrapped my two flanks round the back of him. He must have made 4-6 kills!

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Monks are quite weak compared to other units in MI, and compared to their former strength in STW. NC and HC beat them, and the latter very easily, often leaving more than 45 units still alive in their own unit.

------------------
    Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.
    I'm from Malta, but I'm not a Malteser.
    Visit my resource site here!

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Gah! Arquebusiers!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

'Gah!' right back at your pesky Arqs.

In fact, the best thing about Dach is they cut heads off!

When employed in the pursuit of enemy gunners, Dach provide endless amusement.

Monks, however, never seem to feel quite so exciting.

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

I love to watch the Nodachi raise there swords in unison. The sun shining off of them, there size and height makeing them look like metallic battle flags. Go Nodachi, Go!

;p

Nodachi hands down. Monks cost to much.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength."- Shang-ji Yang, essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

I always build Monks ASAP in the campaign since they smash all the rest of the enemy infantry. However, later I realize that I need numbers of troops too, so I get ND later on when I consolidate. But I will always prefer WM over ND when I can have a choice.

Also I don't like online play, so no comment on that.

The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (:

Blog Entries

i play since 40 or 50 games with 2 WM in my army, just to test them and to get a feeling.

i study always my logfiles and watc some of the movies...

imo the WM is a pretty good unit, they arent the allround killer from STW, they are now more special like the other units...

WM eat spears! and kill ND very fast, with theyr defends they are good on a flank of ur army....u get the timebonuss if u put them of hold....and they can hold with the defence....

against cav, there isnt a big difference between nd ot monk both normaly would lose, but the monk hold longer an fight better

so why u choose nd? coz they cheaper than monks thats it, i would say monks are a bit weaker than nd, ofcourse thats just my feeling...but if ur enemy ast a lot of gus left, they are extrem good...

koc

the nodachi will have 4 honor the wm only 2 so the nd are more stable.When shot at and fight the nodachi will win because they have 4 honor i think

------------------
    Takeda:cavalary legend
    Takeda:cavalary legend

or just dont let any of your foot troops get under fire in the first place.

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Ha I like shooting at them with cav archers lol.

weeellll... for defence i use nags... for attacking i use nods... you will RARELY see a monk in my army... (they tend to be a little rough )

------------------
    Lord make me fast and accurate...
    Because only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain. -Richard M. Nixon

AggonyShim2
    *moons all*

Hard to say which is better, since they both serve different purposes. WM are good all around shock units, which is why they are more expensive. ND are good frontal shock units depending on the enemy unit, but their speed makes them more effective for flanking. Since cavalry are expensive, a couple ND units can assist in the flanking, while YS and WM take the middle.

Of course, ND can also break lines nicely. Send in some wedged ND's, then after a little fighting, send in some monks to finish the job.
    - A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
    - The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

Blog Entries

guys,

plz make sure that u know what u talk about.

nd and monk has the same march/run/charge speed....so ofcourse the ND are not faster!!

koc

defense is the main difference between them.

The concept of ND being "faster" is kind of wishful thinking.

My guess is that it originated in the time of old STW. In old STW, ND is simply INFERIOR than WM in many aspects. 4 points of deference in defense, and WM got this additional fanatic buddist glory kind of thing. ND is cheaper, but if on the same groud, with same honor and updates, WM simply slaughter ND.

When you have two similar units while one of them is superior than the other in every aspect, people start wondering: why ND is there in the first place? (People who play single-player campaigns still wonder the same thing even after 1.0.2).

So people start to develop this false sense of ND being "slightly faster". And since that's about the only thing that might justify the existence of ND, it beomes a common myth.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Monks all the way. But damn they're expensive. Monks can slay equal H/A/D cavalry as well as any infantry unit (watch out for heavy cav or flanking naginata cav tho).

No Daishi can't under most circumstances.

There's also something regal about spiritually motivated killers.

I like having at least 2 monk units just so i know that they can elminate 2 enemy units with little trouble, plus they're fast and that's good for chasing down the cowards.

monks are better than no-dachi, you expect they would be as they cost 250 extra.