Thread: Semi-first online experience

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

Acctually it wasn't my FIRST experience. My first experience was against Magyar Khan about a year ago. Talk about being "Baptized by Fire" huh?

Well, now That I'v resumed playing, I finnaly felt I chould go for a game against a rookie online.

The first battle was in the rain. I suddenly realized I chouldn't use my pause button and that the lag was makeing me think faster then I was used to. Not ot mention I had to adjust to the finese it takes to give orders to coencide with lag. I managed to keep a cool head and lined up my cav archers, seeing as he had relied on guns. Cool, I thought. THen the battle began. I wanted to rush down upon him like flowing water so I put all my Yari in spread and attacked head on. Bah, they clumped together and were flanked before I chould unclump them. My auxiliary Sams were off in left field and chouldn't help. That battle ended in disaster.

Next battle I was defending. I was already adapted a good bit to the new enviorment and pretty confident....except for the fact 6 of my units were made useless by the rain...I set my Yari and Nagi up in one of my favorite formations. The "Baited Hook" patened by me. ;p He began his attack and I didn't feel easy about waiting for him. I had no ranged capabilites and he had archers. SO used the Baited Hook at what it does best. He was oriented to hit MY right flank but I didn't have a right flank to hit..my Army slammed into his unprepared left flank. THe front three units of the hook were Naginata and 'Caught' the army. THe 'Bait' stopped his army on my right from helping the left, at thereo wn sacrifice. He stopped the death blow though, that is the 'shaft' moving up into the now empty center like a spear and split the army. However because of the way my army was oriented, my nagi ended up flanking while his army faced the front of the shaft and the only unit in the back of the shaft not fighting went off to help the desperate bait. It was a pitched battle, we were locked. His right flank destroyed my bait but as they were about to flank, the remnants of my right flank regrouped and routed the remnants of his right, followed by the death of there general and the destruction of the rest of there army. I thought i had won... But then, like a demon there stood two fresh units. My exausted men, battered to just around 90 men not includeing the guns tryed to attack and failed, they ran. My guns ran with them, and that was all she wrote.

In the final battle, it was on the 4th. I was a bit demoralized from the last battle, and seeing as he was now defending a hill, I almost gave up. But I rallyed myself and did a amazeing job, but STILL not enough. I began by sending my right flank off to go to his side. This was to hopefully upset his disposistion as I commited my main force to the left and then moved that 40 seconds later. My right flank stopped, just skirmishing with theres and the left attacked from the side. My Nodachi was caught on the slope but a Yari and Nagi(general) got the flank and turned -his- right flank.(My left is his right)but his center and left held strong and routed my army. It was a well executed plan destoryed by the unfairness of hills.

Heh ad to leave after that, I hope to play him again tommorow.

Weren't these just the most pitifull storys ever..? ;p *LOL*

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength."- Shang-ji Yang, essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

I had similar experiences online and i just cant win... I usually just play SP now I let the comp do whatever it wants until 1550 (I start in 1530) then I attack its much more challanging if they have more/better troops then you

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Katasaki-san, welcome back to the wonderful, woe-begone world of MP. Your battle descriptions evoked many of my own online battles (well OK, MOST of my online battles - especially the "sudden loss" parts ).

Don't be discouraged..if you follow the usual player path, you'll get better, then worse, then better, then worse, and so on.

As much as I enjoy single-player, playing other humans just fascinates me, even if I lose.

*I am Kukri Kono...and I've come here for a good butt-whuppin'!"
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Hills. "[They are] not only essential, they are absolutely necessary."

Its a fact of life. Hold the high ground and yee shall enjoy an advantage. There is nothing 'unfair' about them as all is fair in love and war.

But enough about the philosophical aspects of the game.

These experiences will, should you keep up your STW MP experiece, make you better. You take green generals and put them through a trial by fire. Those that survive will emerge stronger, more flexible and more capable. Eventually, perhaps even you would be able to muster 300 kills when losing the the Wet Gunny Wedgie Army of Doom -- a feat accomplished only twice in the history of Man.

You learn more from defeat than by victory. So take these tough games as a learning experience. Even MagyarKhan was at some point a green, innocent, wide-eyed newbie with nothing but geishas and sake on his mind...

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Thanks for the encouragement. I acctually tryed to use Wet Gunny Wedgies to get around and break the fresh units from behind. But my Samurai began to run just as they were getting onto the flanks of the enemy and that caused them to instantly break.

Bah. Oh well, I'v got an idea for today on how to beat him.

P.S. My game name is Yuan Li

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength."- Shang-ji Yang, essays on mind and matter.

[This message has been edited by Katasaki Hirojima (edited 02-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Katasaki Hirojima (edited 02-01-2002).]
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

Krast lost his first fifty online battles.

Gah!

Krast learned the hard way .... now Krast can play!

Keep learning! Keep playing!

And cut heads off! Gah!

carefull with mentioning my name. i am known for my rudeness

but i am glad to see you are happy and the online community provide you with a challenge
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Now play lordted

When I play an online battle, I have to find the mind of "no mind" because my heart rate goes up, my breathing quickens, my skin gets all clammy, and I feel the adrenaline making little prickly points on my face. Is there a 12 step group for this? I LOVE IT!

if you are new, dont worry about losing, you can just think how they beat you and use it as a learning experience.

p.s. even the mighty LordTed lost his first few online battles

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

only the first few?

------------------
    tootee the goldfish
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

no comment

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Even the Great Khan was a new player at one time.

For some, ability shines out soon after they begin. For others it is a long road full of trials and painful lessons.

No matter. In the end the experience of the game is the thing, win or lose.

I had my first victory today. ^_^

This guy tryed to Naginata Cavalry rush me but as soon as he saw that my army was mostly Yari Samurai and Guns, his cavalry took off in the other direction. I marched after him. He eventually saw a 'opening' when 2 of my yari were going up a small hill by themselfs. He sent most of his cavalry at them. They held there place and my Naginata and Yari hit them from the left/rear flank in waves as each new unit reached the center battle. My Arqebusiers took up a posistion to the right flank of the battle and fired into the cavalry. A minute later his cavalry was laying in a big brown and red pile on that lil hill. His musketmen ran, then his cavalry and my Horse Archers ran forth and chased them to the end of the map. ^_^

------------------

good for you, beating a nagi cav rush is good.