Thread: Screenshot Speculation

If you're reading this, you've probably scoped out the screenshots in the posted articles. Well, looking at them closely has opened more questions than answered them! Most of those shots were from a Single Player Campaign (as evidenced by the armor and weapon bonuses) unless they've answered one of our hopes and let MPers buy weapon and armor upgrades! So what do all you think?

Battlefield Ninja - This could be a good or bad thing. In the screenshot, the armies are using 120-man units, but the ninjas only have 40 in their units. Also, it has them concealed in the woods, while their main army is not near the woods. In another thread, FearOrBeSori hoped that they would get bonuses in forests, and other "ninja-like" abilities. One big question is morale - can they act independantly of the army, and not get scared? I would think so, but how would that affect their other morale checks? More importantly, their icon has an AMMUNITION bar! Are they archer types? Or do they throw shuriken around at closer range?

Korean Irregulars - Their icon, at least, gives them long swords or naginata-like weapons, so we assume that they are more assault-oriented than the yari ashigaru, but not as heavy as the Specials (WM, ND, NG) Also, would they be available for only the Mongol player, or can the Nipponese rent them out, too?

Kensai Swordmasters - there's only one guy in his unit, so we expect him to kick major butt. Again, he'd better have a morale bonus, or else he'd turn tail and run. How expensive to make and maintain? Is one great guy really better than a whole unit of pretty-good guys? That one soldier does take up a whole slot of the sixteen units. Does that mean, if we want six swordmasters, we only get ten other units? On the other hand, those of us who remember the Days of the Demo, someone made a Seven Samurai scenario, with seven indivdual soldiers, half an ashigaru unit, versus two full cavalry units. Those indivduals had a major high honor bonus which allowed them to win, if you were careful. Do the swordmasters, therefore, get combat and morale bonuses from scratch?

Coastlines - a wonderful beach shot. BUT.... we've seen how badly the AI handles edges - anyone fighting near a cliff, or next to one of the tiny temples has seen how the individual units often get hung up, and destroy any nice ranks you've set their unit up in. Will units follow the coastline better than they follow cliffsides? I certainly hope so! Since they've added "rocky outcrops" and new terrain textures, we'll see what they did about edge-detection and unit pathing, too. Are rising dust clouds to be part of it? Cool!

Before I close off, I just want to say "Lookin' great!" to CA and DT, and thanks for all the hard work - we're loving it! I hope that will be "Playin' great" when the time comes! Well, that's enough outta me. More later. Any opinions?

-- B)

[This message has been edited by BanzaiZAP (edited 12-21-2000).]

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

I have some of the same question regarding the Ninja units: what exactly will they do, and why so many of them? Where's the eliment of surprise with a group like that

Korean Irregulars must be near YS capability else the Mongols seem easily countered IMO. Granted I have no idea how tough the Mongols will be, and whether they have other foot troops besides the KI (my guess is they do).

Swordmasters- well I guess the idea is to give us a RPG feel It better be a blast to use these guys with the inherent slot-penalty!

And lastly, coastlines! I love the added terrain, and hope that sand, like snow, imparts some form of fatigue penalty! After all if you've ever tried playing Beach Volleyball you KNOW how much sand drags you down.
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Having seen how the honour system can produce freakishly powerful units, it is certainly possible that the Kensai could be a useful unit even if there is only one man.

However, I hope he is not just a 'terminator' unit, but has other, more subtle, abilities. Giving morale bonuses or even honour bonuses to nearby troops would be one idea. The problem is, he seems much too much like a scenario unit than a unit which could be used in MP.

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

There's more discussion about this in other thread, which I won't bother repeating, but some points:

As I have said, I don't think the big-sworded unit in the tactical battle screenshot is a Korean auxiliary: after all, the army in the image is a Japanese army.

Historically, the Mongols were the ones to introduce squares of spear-equipped troops (à la phalanx) to Japan, which tactic was later adopted for Ashigaru use in the Sengoku period. The most likely form the Korean auxiliaries will take, assuming it's not the one in the screenshot, is that of something like YA, but perhaps with slightly better quality.

Dust clouds belong in any game with Mongols, and it's quite conceivable that they will be present in WE/MI as well.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Where are the screenshots? The one at totalwar.com doesn't reveal much.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda TosaInu

http://www.boy-co.demon.nl
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

The screenshots are at pc.gamespot.com or pc.ign.com and a couple of other sites.
    DP is correct - Shiro