Thread: Archers in melee

How do you get archers and calvery archers to fight in hand to hand mode? I try changing in from skirmish, but they never seem to attack. I can mever figure out how to get my calvery archers to charge. Thanks

hold down control and the bow that a archer normally shows, will turn into a sword so u can use em to attack!
    Honour to Kenchikuka, may
    the Gods have mercy for those who fight against us!

Alt, not Ctrl, actually.

This subject is getting a bit old.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Sorry the subject is old, but i am new to the message board and couldnt find the answer. Please remember not everyone on here is a Shogun expert.

No offence at all, Slingblade: just an offhand comment to add some meat to what would otherwise have been a single-line post.

But we might really need a FAQ, now that I mention it.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".

Are you offering to write it, Anssi?

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

I think there is already a very good FAQ that some member of the community started and kept updated long time ago in the days of the old www.totalwar.org ...

I though there was a link in the community website but i cant find it... anyone remembers where is it??

Metha

------------------
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

I'm not going to write a FAQ, I have enough on my plate with this moderator thing as is!

Indeed, a FAQ already exists. In fact, I have it. It was mentioned on the Community Site forum some time ago, but that thread may have got lost in the mists of history already. Anyway, AFAIK it is still available on several well-known community sites, like possibly Terazawa Tokugawa's ( ). Browse through the Community Site link list and see if you can find it.

My revision of the FAQ is 4.0; it was last updated in "8/3/2000 or 3/8/2000, whichever you prefer." (The funny thing is that it could be in March just as well as in August! Probably August though.) It is a very good compilation of tactics posts here at the Org, and is very informative, if a bit motley-looking.

Many of the newer (read: recently invented) innovations are not included, however: maybe we would really need someone to carry on JeffM's glorious legacy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 12-20-2000).]

I found it !!!

It is here at the .org !!!, but of course, how stupid of me !!!

Jeff was the man thats right, here you have the adress if you want to compare versions just in case.
    http://www.totalwar.org/files/Documents/Shogun_FAQ.doc

I would strongly recommend anyone that want to update it to let the .org or Jeff himself know that you are planning to continue his work

Good luck!!

Metha

------------------

[This message has been edited by Methabaron (edited 12-20-2000).]

Gentlemen:

I have read that FAQ, and, with respect to Jeff, I think it was carelessly written and contains many unclear passages. That's no reflection on him, though, since all he really did was cut and paste other people's writing from the boards.

I would be willing to pen a FAQ, though only with the blessing of the senior members here -- a blessing which, being a newbie here, I doubt I could obtain. (I would submit, though, that being new doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't do a solid and helpful job, especially if done with your help.)

I have written strategy guides before: one of them, for PSX Jedi Power Battles, was read by thousands and thousands of people, and is located here (among other places):
    www.jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

also
    darthwart.tripod.com/page1.html

(I mention this only so that you can verify that my authorship is fastidious and competent.)

So three things:

1. I would need the blessing of this board to go ahead with it.
    2. It would be a true FAQ, not a strategy narrative, since that could conceivably take months to write. (i.e. "Is it just me, or why does Lord Hojo have 20,000 guys midway through the game?" or "What is the best way to take a bridge?")
    3. People here would have to help me write it, in the sense that you guys would have to come up with the questions you feel are most commonly asked.
    4. Somebody with some knowledge of webpages would have to host it; I know nothing of this stuff.
    5. (Most seriously)the FAQ would focus on Single Player, since I am still unable to connect to Multiplayer. Being in the main a strategy FAQ, however, I don't think this would be such a serious drawback...

Well...?

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited 12-20-2000).]

A FAQ is almost necessary for this game, and if you, Darth, wanna put it together, then go for it. Just be prepared to get all kinds of flak by people who think you should reword bits, or include other bits, etc. It's a noble intention, and I really hope you don't let other people discourage you! The usual response was "If you don't like mine, make your own." As long as you don't have any outright errors, I don't think anyone would mind, and a whole lot of novice players will thank you! (and a bunch of us experienced player, too!) As someone who contributed chunks of JeffM's FAQ, you have (at least partial) blessings. And yes, it should stick with gameplay, and not get into tactics. That should be it's own document.

-- B)

Actually I had already read that FAQ several times trying to find the answer. It had some great points, but was a little limited. Thanks for the help

Darth,

Be my guest !!!

The fact you are new should not deterr you from the project... when you finish the FAQ or probably MUCH before that you will be already a vet I am sure

So go ahead and good luck

As a little contribution to what should be in the FAQ I would humbly suggest one of the topics possibly required in it: it would be nice to have all the movement composite keys,

Alt + left click
    Alt + right click
    Windows Key + left click
    Etc etc....

Most people ask about how to pivot and change orientation a group of units while keeping the formation and how to keep the formation while moving... etc etc. Indeed there is only a few ppl that truly master the art of formation movement.

Metha

------------------

It's great we found someone to do this (and this quickly!). STW deserves a FAQ, and Darth-san seems fit for the job (I read some of his JPB FAQ, and it seems to be good work).

The strategy questions should be the main focus of the FAQ, but I think it could slowly be expanded to cover other things. Perhaps someone else could help Darth out with some MP questions and answers, and there should also be a section on tech problems like the infamous NNvidia Detonator Thing (I had to explain that one *again* just a few minutes ago at www.pelit.fi ).

The FAQ would also have the URLs to the most useful STW web sites: the perfect newbie starting package!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 12-21-2000).]