Thread: Castles and maps

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

I want to tie a spefic castle map to a province, ie if you attack Brittany you would always get the map of the castle of Mont St Michael etc.

This way I could make some castles to increase the historical side of my mod
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

How to add a specific castle battlemap; Brittany:

1) Go to the folder "Medieval-Total War/Battle/Maps" containing all the battlemaps. By taking a look at the names of the castlemaps you will see the system used.

An exemple: CastleHilly02_2_1

First in the name is "Castle". Second comes the terrain(in this ex. Hilly, but could also be either "flat" or "plain").

The 02 means the second map serie with a hilly landscape; in other words a map-serie with almost identical terrain, but with different castle levels and upgrades. The most series CA has used for a given terrain-type is 5.

The _2 tell us it is a keep => _1 is a Fort,_2=Keep, _3=Castle, _4=Citadel, _5=Fortress.

The final _1 indicates "Curtain Walls" upgrade => _
    0=No upgrade to the castle-level, _1=First upgrade, _2=Second upgrade

2) Open the startpos file you want to use. Find Brittany under the header
    //========================================
    //Region Attributes
    //The special characteristics for a region

Here the region architechture, landscape, starting culture etc. is specified. For brittany you will find the landscape to be "HILLY".
    Notice the column "MAPGROUP". All regions have the
    number -1. This is the number that ties a battlemap to the region. -1 simply means random, that is; the game selects a random map among the castlemaps that have the correct landscape (Brittany:Hilly) and castle-upgrade(15 levels: Fort,Fort Motte, Fort Motte with Bailey, Keep ... and so on).

3) In the startpos file: Edit the mapgroup-nr. for Brittany to for example 7 (instead of random number -1).

What you then have to do is to make a map serie for your brittany castle; 15 maps, one for each castle upgrade. It sounds harder than it is, because what you do is to make a single landscape-map and just build a larger and larger castle while saving the map with the correct name at each castle upgrade. The names of the 15 maps must now be in this form:
    castlehilly07_*Castle-level*_*Upgrade-level*

The reason for using 7 instead of 6 (as CA has used the 5 first ones) is to prevent the game from selecting your brittany map for another region with mapgroup-nr set to random(-1). Apparantly, if there is no nr.6 the game will not be able to select the nr.7 randomly. Only when you instruct the game to use map-serie nr.7 for a given region in the startpos-file will it then be able to select it.

I made this mistake in my first attempt, and ended up assaulting my Jerusalem castle when I was actually taking Scotland

4) The map-files you make in the battlemap editor are saved in this folder: "Medieval-Total War/Savemaps"
    You must manually move them to the "Medieval-Total War/Battle/Maps" folder for them to be available for selection in SP campaign. Each map gives two files, so one serie will give you 30 files to move.

Good luck

Fury of the Northmen mod

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

nicely explained Norseman,

i am going to pin this and put it in the list of things to go to the FAQ,

i am assuming from your post that this works?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Yep. It works. Before VI came along I added Jerusalem, the Krak, city walls of Constantinople and Tower of London to my SP campaigns, and so far it has worked fine. I haven't tried them out yet in VI, but I can't see any reason for it not to work.

Only problem I had in the start was some CTDs when loading the battle due to mistakes done when making the maps. So if your game CTD or hangs, take a look at your maps and make sure they work ok in a custom battle.

Fury of the Northmen mod

Is there also a possibility to assign normal battlefieldmaps (not castles) to a specific province, or is this random?
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Oh WOW
    Oh Wow
    Oh wow

This is brilliant, thanks guys, this really adds a new dimension to my Hundred Years War mod. I can actually create and use actual Castle battle maps for the siege.

Thanks again guys
    ShadesWolf

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Oct. 26 2003,04:06)]Yep. It works. Before VI came along I added Jerusalem, the Krak, city walls of Constantinople and Tower of London to my SP campaigns, and so far it has worked fine. I haven't tried them out yet in VI, but I can't see any reason for it not to work.

Only problem I had in the start was some CTDs when loading the battle due to mistakes done when making the maps. So if your game CTD or hangs, take a look at your maps and make sure they work ok in a custom battle.
    Could you possibly send me these maps to get them to work in my game? I would love to use them. E-mail address: chrisspolanski@msn.com. Thanks
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Quote[/b] ]
    Could you possibly send me these maps to get them to work in my game? I would love to use them. E-mail address: chrisspolanski@msn.com. Thanks
    Sure, if you can wait some days (or maybe a week or two). As soon as I can find the time I will try to make them look better and try to fix some smaller problems that can be annoying, especially when the AI tries to assault.

The city walls of Constantinople looks a bit peculiar. There is of course walls from one side of the map to the other, but I had to make walls along the outer edge of the map as well. Otherwise the AI would'nt assault or shoot holes in the wall, but simply walk of the map and walk on again on the backside of the city wall. So please just try to ignore those extra walls

Fury of the Northmen mod

Great I now have it working perfectly.
    ShadesWolf

Is there a way to make a specific map for a region crossing? ie one map appearing a when you cross from region A to region B.

Zitat[/b] (komninos @ Nov. 05 2003,12:01)]Is there a way to make a specific map for a region crossing? ie one map appearing a when you cross from region A to region B.
    Does anyone know how to do this?

In that point Shogun was much better: Every province had it´s own map and you could think about strategies to use this specific landscape for your actions, before attacking or defending.
    It wasn´t randomly which map to take and every region had its own charakter.
    Now all look the same, it doesn´t matter.
    I remember a map in Shogun (have forgotten its name. It was quite in the middle of the campiagnmap) where you had a huge hill: There to positioning your troops, on the top of the hill, kills every enemy.
    It was so much fun to know before the battle which units to add to the province.
    Now its a nightmare to know which to take.

I hope you know how to make, that you could add a specific map to a specific province.
    If so, please tell the community how to make it.
    Imagine a Middle eart mod, without the specific landscape of Mordor or Rohan.
    This would only be possible with a specific map, which will be used if you attacking a specific province.

»Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

The only logical place a specific battlemap can be set, if possible at all, is in the startpos files under the header
    //Border Info
    //Attributes of borders between provinces
    //and the maps available to each border

Let's take a look at one of those lines:
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_WESSEX ID_MERCIA 7600 7592 0 LUSH
    AT_WESTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND FLAT RIVER

This is the border crossing from Wessex to Mercia. When the game finds a map it will select randomly among all those maps matching the border descriptions:
    1)COAST or INLAND
    2)Terrain type (FLAT, HILLY, PLAIN, HLL2FLT, etc.)
    3) RIVER or NO RIVER
    The selected map will then be given correct climate (ex:LUSH) tiles and (ex:WESTERN_EUROPEAN) architecture.

This leaves us with the 3 numbers as unknowns:
    7600 7592 0
    However, I don't believe they have anything to do with selecting a specific map. To me they look like positional coordinates on the strategy map, like those used when positioning the images of ports and castles. The third number(ex:0) is probably the direction of the image.
    Actally I don't even think they are used anymore in VI, because in the VIKING.txt startpos file all those numbers
    are set to 0.

To conclude: I don't think it is possible to set a specific battlemap unless there is only one map that matches the given landscape description (INLAND,FLAT,RIVER), but that would mean that every border with the same description will get the same battlemap.

Fury of the Northmen mod

Sorry to hear that.

It´s really a pitty: Then all the maps that I´ve made for a specific landscape in Greece, would not have the right provinces at the campaignmap.
    So Attika would randomly be in Sparta (Lakonia) (because both are Southern European, Arid), Sparta in Attika and so on.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Quote[/b] ]
    Could you possibly send me these maps to get them to work in my game? I would love to use them. E-mail address: chrisspolanski@msn.com.
    To TheSilverKnight: The last three castle map-packs are sent. Notify me if you have'nt received them.

Fury of the Northmen mod

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

I did not recieve them. Try sending them again please.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Quote[/b] ]
    I did not recieve them. Try sending them again please.
    Sent them again. If you haven't received them this time, have you given the correct address? Did you receive Tower of London?

Fury of the Northmen mod

I have a slightproblem guys

My castles walls wont fall down, does anybody have any ideas as to why, If you want to take a look at it I can send u a copy.
    ShadesWolf

You don't have any problems, it is just the way the game is. For some strange reason the "falling wall" animations don't work if you haven't quit the game inbetween your last map-save and battle. Don't ask me why...

Fury of the Northmen mod

Ah - Thanks m8,

I will try it again tonight, I was a little angry when it didnt work, so I hadnt launched it since, I went on moding the campaign side of it, working of religion/ culture...

Thanks again Norse....

I will report back tomorrow.
    ShadesWolf

Ok I have checked it out, and now it works
    ShadesWolf

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

this topic has been moved to Repository,
    if you have anything to add please contact one of the Dungeon Moderators,
    Cheers,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.