Thread: ** Guns acting silly on manual attack ***

ok guy pust a line of arch in the front of hist guns as a SHOCK troop wile my guns attack his arch his guns aw blasting away ok I get it ...

BUT ! when I tell my guns to attack manualy ranged they attack for a bit and then PROCED TO WALK AWAY FOR A BIT THEN STOP FACEING THE WRONG WAY" ummm whats going on .. is it something hes doing ???? or am I missing something ????
    http://shogunnewbie.tripod.com
    redzone
    hints
    Tactical Tips
    tactics
    logfile reader
    logfile viewer

First off, calm down, because I had to read your post 5 times before I got the hang of it. lol. And I don't know if I even got it.

Secondly, check that your guns weren't on special set-ups like hold position. Also the guns may toggle continously between skirmish and engage at will. At skirmish they won't fight hand to hand.

Thirdly, I hope you decided to use guns at hand-to-hand when it was raining. I am sure you don't want to waste one of the most powerful units in the game on a fine day.

Fourthy, why didn't you simply blast away the dirty archer unit with a cav...guns would eventually lose vs archers...lol.
    Of course if the enemy would have had units firing at your cav, the musket move would have been acceptable...

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.
    I'm from Malta, but I'm not a Malteser.
    Visit my resource site here!

Terazawa sorry :~(

I mean a NON open fire ranged attack with your guns.

cuz if i leave them on openfire they just attack the shock troops in the front

I think it was because they were too close even tho they looked like they were not. or maybe cuz they were GROUPED ? so I been useing the zig zag tactic on my guns when they have shock troops in front of there guns set them up like

\/\/\/

and have them aim @ the guns behinde what ever shock troops in front of it

lol shoud Ireally do that ? force melle on light rain or heavy rain days with my guns ???

once again sorry Terazawa :~( I wan upset loseing a gun war I out #ed them in
    http://shogunnewbie.tripod.com
    redzone
    hints
    Tactical Tips
    tactics
    logfile reader
    logfile viewer

Set your guns in a straight line. That /\/\ only means your guns are shooting each other.

Try this: X-X_X-X_X-X where "X" = yari samurai and the - mean GUNS in 3 row deep formation.

Put the yari sams in rows of about 30 men wide.

This formation gives you the best defense to firepower advantage. Your guns are lined up with narrow yari samurai units protecting them. If your guns get charged, they will pull back on their own, leaving the yari's to face the incoming attackers.. BUT your yari will not be in front of the gunner's bullets. If the yari get charged, the guns will decimate them.

Use guns on HOLD POSITION orders always. Telling them to "attack" seriously reduces their range and almost nullifies their offensive potential.. because by the time they reach the enemy's range, kneel, load and fire, the enemy's samurai will be hacking them to pieces.

The only downside of your technique is that your army will spread all the way cross the map. Thus most of the troops are rendered useless.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Not really. It gives your opponent 2 choices: Flank (and face the yari and whatever melee units you have as rearguard) or face the guns in a head-on charge.

If they flank, you move the guns in the opposite side of where the are flanking and move them into position so that they face the incoming flankers. If he splits his army in order to flank, you MOVE some of your own melee units (hopefully no-dachi or monks) and attempt to flank HIM in return.

As far as being spread too much.. well, this formation is not to be used as ONE formation of units. If you have 16 unit army made of 8 guns and 8 yari sams, you can split it into 2 groups of 4 guns 4 yari. You can use 1 group to "defend" the other group's movement, specially against flanking.

Guns MUST be used in 3 row deep (preferably 2 row deep) or you are not using half its firepower.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Gothmog:
    The only downside of your technique is that your army will spread all the way cross the map. Thus most of the troops are rendered useless.[/QUOTE]

And... the wider the formation, the more hits they take from gun fire in any single volley.

[This message has been edited by Vanya (edited 02-12-2002).]
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

If they are wider they will take less gun hits, right? Isn't it depth that creates more dense target?

Actually, any shape in tight (or worse - wedge) formation is bad. Width means more guys up front that can be direct fire targets. Depth means more "through" casualties - as in the guy in front got shot, the bullet went THROUGH him and just killed a person (or ppl) behind him.

In practice - length is better because while your men are direct targets - at least they have good accuracy and fire rate.

If you have only a few units, go loose tho - it helps ALOT.

Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Loose reduces the accuracy of your guns. remember, these are not sniper rifles.

With guns, wider is better. If you can, make your gunners be 2 rows deep. That way if an enemy charges you will have 50 out of 100 men in your unit firing at any one time... if you made your guns 4 rows deep, only the front 2 rows will shoot.. thats 25 guns shooting at the enemy only.

One formation I tried using 2 gun units on a steep hill was putting all 100 men in single row on the top of the hill and 2 row deep a few yds in front of them (about halfway up the steep hill, so the gunners above them wouldnt hit them). Put 2 yari sams on each flank of each unit and 2 warrior monks/naginata as rear guard.

It was beautiful. The enemy army made up of no-dachi and yari sams was massacred from long range. The 100 men firing at once on the top of the hill (who had the longest range) was simply murderous. I whacked an entire yari sam unit from 100 men down to 25 in the 3rd volley.. and by the time the top gunners were firing their 5 volley, they came in range of the gunners that were lower.. and WHAM! 50 more guns to bear.

Sometimes you have to make compromise because you don't want to take up too much width otherwise your line will be stretched too thin.

It's common practise to make gunmen 3 ranks deep, such that they could rotate the fire. If you put them in two rank deep, all will fire at the same time, but will reload much slower.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Tac

I like your idea, but in practice it breaks down pretty quick.

It works well against a "rusher,'" but if i were facing you, I'd line up my guns and blast away. Strip your guns and force you to charge with YS that are missing anywhere from 10-20 men each. While your YS are catching stray bullets mine are fine. Charge my guns with Cav -- I got counters for that. Charge them with footies--even better for me.

As for the 2-deep, 3-deep issue. You are correct about that in a 2 deep line 30 out of 60 can shoot (a strong volley)--for a volley or 2. But a three man line reloads faster and stays fresher. Thus while your guys are getting more and more inaccurate due to tiring, mine are staying more accurate, and have a higher rate of fire --- so after a bit of gun play, I'll have ur muskets running.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN