Thread: Japan\'s darkest day scenario?

Ok, I am bad at locating stuff, and as lazy as a pig today. Where do I download stuff for JDD scenario?

Thanks.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

All files are available for download in http://www.totalwar.org/maps you'll need Baroccas campaigns http://www.totalwar.org/maps/spc.shtml

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Thanks a bunch.

Oh, this one looks pretty tough and very enjoyable.

I haven't finished a campaign but was testing it a little for Barocca before he released it. I had more trouble with the Japanese clans than I did with Mongols. I went into battles against the clans thinking I was going to most likely win based on my experience with normal Shogun. Then I'd sit there in disbelief watching my shattered army flee the field.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

I finished the Darkest Day scenario on expert as Hojo and here's what I found:

Generally speaking, the mongels will conquer ALL other clans within the first 10 years. As the clan AI will not defend it's provinces, but instead seeks useless conquest, the mongel AI will walk all over them in no time leaving you facing a VAST army of mongels.

It took me about 3 times to figure the secret to this scenario, but basically, one has to take and hold both Echigo and Musashi (as they are river provinces and easier to defend.)Keep Dewa, Mutsu, Hihatchi producing YS and archers for Musashi and Echigo.

If you can get the mongel AI to concentrate their attacks against those two provinces you have a chance at defeating them, as it hard to hold any other province against MASS mongel HC and LC.

Eventually, after you've repelled multiple attacks, the mongel AI will stop attacking and begin to move troops around uselessly. ( the secret is to stop the the mongels from getting anymore reenforcements through pillaging.

After the mongels stop attacking, concentrate on taking the provinces AROUND and BEHIND the main mongel armies. ALL the provinces BEHIND the main forces are empty and you can take them with very few troops and even shinobi will work.

Once you take most of all Japan back concentrate on Nagi Cav and No Dachi as they are more effective against the Mongels then most of the other units. Heavy cav are good too, but NC are cheaper and it will take ALOT of units to finally take out the mongels.

Good scenario and VERY hard to beat on expert.

Ironman scenario plays almost the same as this one.

I've tried playing as other clans, but when I do, Hojo always gets creamed and the scenario ends in a mongel victory. So you always have to either play Hojo or the mongels to win.

Senior Member Senior Member Jaguara's Avatar

I couldn't figure out if when Shingen36 said "mongels" was talking about mongols or mongrels...oh wait...they both work! Nevermind...

No offence Magyar!
    Toda Nebuchadnezzar : Trust Jaguara to come up with the comedy line

"The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance"

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

*and eerie silence*
    *tumbleweed rolls past*

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

I hate typos! :P

Mongrels works as well as mongols don't it!

I must be doing something wrong but unless I'm able to regularly reinforce my river provinces, I have a tough time dealing with all those friggin' Mongol reinforcements that pop in on my flanks & rear! The other night I had a brown flood of MHC on my right flank & rear whilst a hide tide of MLC pelted me from the left!

I always fare better in a province where I can defend on a high hill with Ashi-X, or where there's a large forest area so those MHC are forced to venture into the trees and be skewered by my YS.

Barocca's JDD-SE offers much better surviving chance for the Hojo.

Basically that clan will wipe out every other clans except for yours and Mongols.

But you have to intercept the golden horde from getting too many reinforcement.

Moriboy I am not sure what exactly you are talking about when you mentioned the difficulty of defending river province. For me, that's the basically where I masscre the golden horde in a cowardish shooting contest.

Basically just line up some x-bow men or guns (only awailable from SE), supported by archers. X-bow men need to be placed in the front because of their shorter range and because x-bow bolts travel flat.

Make sure you place units so that they are all out of their missile troops' range such that every mongolian or korean has to cross the bridge to get you.

Once you defeat the 1st 16 units, wait till the reinforcement shows up, rince and repeat.

Due to the lightning speed of MLC and the MHC, make sure that you don't go over your head in pursueing the fleeing army over the bridge.

Basically you only pursue them with your cavalry, and only pick on their foot soldiers when mongol cavalry are either dead or more than half way back to their home.

And while doing this, keep an eye on the left and right flanks for the mongol reinforcement. Depends on the troop types and the fatigue level of your mounted soldiers, you decide when you quit the pursue and order your cavalry back to your own side of the bridge. Usually if you time it right, you can simply "march" them back.

Of course you want to have a lot of missile troops.

I haven't played ronin yet, and yes, I think it's doomed if playing special edition, when other clans have legendary everything.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 02-25-2002).]

Gothmog, I always get a lot of kills but at some point if I run out of arrows and don't have guns, or if I have guns and it's raining, I've got to send melee troops to the bridge and if he's got a lot of those damn MLC they shoot the bejesus out of my guys. It's also fun when 8500 mongols pour into the river province from everywhere. Sure it's easy to rout the first wave, but when theres 8 units of MHC & 6 MLC coming in on your rear & flanks... I nearly always win but suffer terrible casualties, usually 30-35%. I always make sure I can reinforce the province each season.

There are a few other odd things in JDDse, I was playing Imagawa and deliberately got him killed so I could play as Ronin.I surrendered all his lands in eastern Japan to have more of a challenge against the Mongol & Hojo.

I've only noticed the following oddities when I play as Ronin:

You can't build emmisaries, geisha, shinobi, or ninjas. If any are training at the time of the Daimyo's Ronin generating death, you'll get those but no more.

When enemy troups rout through yours get out of their way or, order yours to face them and hold position & hold formation, and while you're at it, hold your breath. If you attack routing troops from anywhere but the rear you lose up to 30% of the unit engaged, no matter how good or well appointed they are, or how feeble the enemy troops are. I lost a third of an honor 6 fully upgraded unit of 75 MHC (ultra bad BMF's that scored 430 kills, losing only 5 in a previous battle)when they attacked an honor 0 routing band of ashi-x. Strangely enough, this isn't always the case, but unless you have massive troops to spare, assume that it will.

I know this has been posted before but in this scenario, Ronin archers are mega-deadly. I've watched archer units drop nearly a fifth of an advancing unit in a single volley, and if the enemy are standing still...

Oh well, I just thought I'd share this with anyone who wants to try Ronin in either JDD or JDDse. Have fun!

I see, or maybe one can fiddle with the files to give ronin some edge to start with.

But ronins do get this insane bonus on archers.

Also, I think one should ALWAYS bring some guns for the defense in single player, even in bad weather. I know they will reload very very slowly, but their virtually unlimited ammo will be invaluable after you fend off the 1st wave.

I leard this lesson recently.

It was in JDDse, I was able to corner the Mongols and all the sudden Hojo attacked me. 2900 vs 1800 something. Since it's snowing slightly, I took 3 archers, 1 x-bow men and a CA with me.

Since Hojo horde mostly had legendary everything, it was pretty tough to fend off the 1st wave to begin with, and after that, most of my archers were out of arrows, and the CA was almost decimited by the massive cavalry attack.

Then the 2nd wave came in, this time besides the cavalry and foot soldiers, they also had SIX BNs and a Kensai! If I had brought a couple of maskets, things would be a lot easier, but instead, I had to get into hand-to-hand with the enemy. I was able to stop the second wave, killing all but one single battlefield ninja.

But ALL my remaining units were exausted.

They stood no chance against the fresh deep blue wave, so I withdrew all of them. It was a perilous retreat, eventually the 3rd wave of Hojo cavalry caught up, and I had to sacrifice two units of YS as rearguard.

By the time my reinforcement (one musket, one SA, one X-bow, one YS, one Nag, and one HC) arrived, barely 30 men of the 2 YS units remained.

And this 6 unit fresh units worked wonder. SA and X-bow soon ran out of arrows, but muskets kept firing even when the snowing was falling, routing one unit after another, with the help of that Heavy cavalry.

Moral of the story: bring some muskets along, regardless of the weather.