Thread: sahara - unlocking it for VI

Hi modders

just downloaded the gnome editor and did my first bit of modding - nothing drastic just some fun (unlocking some units into the campaign )

now have a taste for it i'm keen to have a go at unlocking some territory and the one that's crying for release is the Sahara area. I'm trying to download Patrick's Africa Ad-on for 1.1 (currently 220 in a very long que ) but am not sure if this is compatible with VI

...but if its not too complicated a procedure is anyone able to give me a step by step dum dums guide to unlocking this land... go on... you'll be my friend for life

pretty please

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

The 'Africa' add-on is NOT compatable for VI.

However, it does show exactly what would be required in order to add this new province (ID_AFRICA) to VI - should be a simple task.

I suggest you try downloading at a different time.

why thank you sir- that's exactly what i had in mind

(add emoticon that depicts man dothing cap in wellington's direction)

I tried unlocking Sahara recently, and got the MTW non vi Africa mod, but after a few attempts and all seemed right it wouldn't allow anyone to invade Sahara without CTD otherwise I got it to work, build units/building etc.

Possibly some of the other modders might advise what sort of problem it is which causes a ctd in a seemingly fully activated province when someone invades it.

Mainly you need the africa mod to get the border info changes , the rest are straightforward.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Talking

Ive managed to activate Africa/Sahara (VI), and its working really well so far. Ive invaded, built, left and sailed from the Sahara.
    Here are all the entries in the start pos:
    DeclareLandRegion:: "ID_AFRICA"
    SetRegionUnfloodable:: ID_AFRICA
    SetRegionUnquakeable:: ID_AFRICA
    SetRegionRebels:: ID_AFRICA 12
    SetNeighbours:: ID_AFRICA ID_ALGERIA ID_LIBYA ID_MOROCCO ID_TUNISIA ID_ATLANTIC_COAST
    SetNeighbours:: ID_LIBYA ID_TUNISIA ID_EGYPT ID_AFRICA ID_GULF_SIDRA ID_GULF_GABES ID_NILE_COAST
    SetNeighbours:: ID_TUNISIA ID_ALGERIA ID_LIBYA ID_AFRICA ID_GULF_GABES ID_AFRIKA_COAST
    SetNeighbours:: ID_ALGERIA ID_MOROCCO ID_TUNISIA ID_AFRICA ID_MOORISH_COAST ID_AFRIKA_COAST
    SetNeighbours:: ID_MOROCCO ID_ALGERIA ID_AFRICA ID_STRAITS_GIBRALTAR ID_ATLANTIC_COAST ID_MOORISH_COAST
    SetNeighbours:: ID_ATLANTIC_COAST ID_MOROCCO ID_AFRICA ID_ATLANTIC_OCEAN ID_STRAITS_GIBRALTAR

SetBorderInfo:: ID_AFRICA ID_MOROCCO 4576 21712 0 ROCK_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_MOROCCO ID_AFRICA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    (DO AN ENTRY LIKE THIS FOR EVERY ADJACENT PROVINCE EG LIKE AFRICA TO TUNISIA AND TUNISIA BACK TO AFRICA)

SetCastle:: ID_AFRICA 5360 23120
    SetOrigin:: ID_AFRICA 8376 23592

SetAttributes:: ID_AFRICA "Africa" 0 MUSLIM_CULTURE ROCK_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC -1 120 "Africa Castle_xzy" INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER TRUE(DONT FORGET TO CHANGE THIS AS IT WAS FALSE BEFORE)

SetRegionOwner:: ID_AFRICA FN_ALMOHAD
    (OR REBELS, BUT IF YOU ARE STARTING SAHARA AS REBEL THE NAME OF THE REBELS IS THE BERBERS)

AND that is it, although Im still figuring out how to set a port there.
    Quick question to Razor though, did you change the victory conditions from false to true? I think that why the error was coming up when there was an invasion.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Exclamation

Good work Lord Guilt, this post should be added to The Dungeons Faq post in the Repository...LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Talking

Nice one LOS. Always good too be noticed. Fantastic work you guys do by the way.

Member Member Bevan of Hertfordshire's Avatar

Lord Guilt could you by chance put more detail into the numbers of the border attributes

Thanks
    Bevan
    And so Lord Woodhouse, barged into the Kings bedchambers with waders and a fishing pole (possibly drunk) and said; My Liege, the Rivers are so high that you need waders to stay above them My ancestor to his Highness Edward IV

try this

SetPort:: ID_AFRICA 700 21425 3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChaosDrake @ Oct. 26 2003,23:54)]try this

SetPort:: ID_AFRICA 700 21425 3
    Nice one ChaosDrake that helped alot, for some reason I just never quite worked it out.
    Thanks Guilt

Thumbs up

Quote[/b] (Bevan of Hertfordshire @ Oct. 25 2003,20:27)]Lord Guilt could you by chance put more detail into the numbers of the border attributes

Thanks
    Bevan
    Hey Bevan of Hertfordshire (Whose lands are near me )

I hope the following helps. This is every entry I added into BorderInfo, which I hope is what you wanted:

SetBorderInfo:: ID_AFRICA ID_MOROCCO 4576 21712 0 ROCK_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_AFRICA ID_ALGERIA 4576 21712 0 ROCK_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_AFRICA ID_TUNISIA 4576 21712 0 ROCK_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_AFRICA ID_LIBYA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_MOROCCO ID_AFRICA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_TUNISIA ID_AFRICA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_ALGERIA ID_AFRICA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_LIBYA ID_AFRICA 23192 23600 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_ATLANTIC_COAST ID_AFRICA 26168 22592 0 SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC COAST FLAT NO_RIVER

It basicaly just tells the game what kind of terrain you would get in battles if you are going into or out of the Sahara. Just an obvious point, there is no entry for Africa to Atlantic Coast because you dont fight there

While we are on the subject, I'd like to inquire if it is possible to break the Sahara/Africa province into multiple provinces. If there is a ridiculously obvious answer to this question, please keep in mind that my modding efforts are limited to fairly minor changes to startpos and prod files.

Thanks

The Kensai surveyed the Samurai assembled between him and river. There must be at least a thousand. He thought, This can't possibly be fair. Evening the odds, he donned his blindfold, set aside one of his two blades, and charged.

I think its possible, but Ive just started to try and break them up so Il post in if I do it.
    BUT if theres anyone else who can do it please save me the trouble

it was not my work, i have looked only in the startpos file from the mod of bkb, the thanks must go to him he has make the work i have only copy and paste
    and im waiting for the final version of his mod its great
    thanks must go to the blind king of bohemia he does the real work

Thanks for the tip I think I did change the victory conditions.

BTW I found another use for Sahara... I boosted its base farm income to $50k/year so rebels always had heaps of money and could build bigger armies... a simple change but interesting as you could both come up against bigger rebel armies and get good rebel troops by bribing...a mixed bag from a strategic point of view.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

hmm maybe i was trying to be too smart but i added provincial title and some trade goods to ID_AFRICA and have ended up with LIBYA as a no go and all the starting homelands mucked up (byzantines have hungary, england have wales and loads of others)

i'm going to try it again with the extra bits- two quick q-

- under SetRegionOwner did you remove ID_AFRICA from 'disabled lands' and add it to the rebel list?

- did you change anything in the high and late startpos? (or just the early?)

Thumbs up

Yeap I added it like so:
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_AFRICA Berbers
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_GOLDEN_KHANATE Cumans
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_VOLHYNIA Cumans
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_FINLAND Finns

But unfortunately for your second question Ive only tried it in Early.
    Let me know how you do with adding the provincial titles, didnt think of that.

Member Member Bevan of Hertfordshire's Avatar

Cheers lord Guilt that really was a great help
    And so Lord Woodhouse, barged into the Kings bedchambers with waders and a fishing pole (possibly drunk) and said; My Liege, the Rivers are so high that you need waders to stay above them My ancestor to his Highness Edward IV

jeebus i don't think you can split up provinces on the map without changing the map to represent this you will also need to add the provinces to the startpos and etc
    thanks dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Hi, everyone

Just like most of you, I tried to enable Sahara (ID_AFRICA), but without any luck...
    I followed Lord Guilt's instructions and all seems fine when I start the campaign, even resources or trade goods.
    However when I end the turn and press the END YEAR button, the AI thinks for about 0.5s and then the feared CTD emerges...
    I've checked the data twice
    Sintax error?
    Or what?

Hello Aymar de Bois Mauri just had a read through all the info from before and it looks sound. Ive tested it loads of times but if anyone else has had probs, post in so I know its an isolated problem.

Quick question: When the error comes up what are you doing with your faction? (I assume you are the Almohads right?) Are you moving troops in and/or out of Sahara, are you creating buildings like a port or castle or assigning titles? If you test it one at a time then you can eliminate the problem. Do this because if it loads up fine up until the first turn its normally one of the above actions thats causing the problems.

But without knowing what you actually got in your Startpos I wont know what the error is.

Edit- Also did you use the gnome editor, excellent package but I prefer moding manually because Ive had errors come up when moding with gnome.

Quote[/b] ]When the error comes up what are you doing with your faction? (I assume you are the Almohads right?)
    Yes, I'm playing the Almohads. Several things. I tried building in Sahara, another time moving troops there, another just training troops (I put a castle and harbour in the Make Building after the first two crashes). Then I removed the buildings and did nothing, except building and training in other provinces. Same thing happened. I believe it's some sintax error that I just can't find...

Quote[/b] ]Also did you use the gnome editor, excellent package but I prefer moding manually because Ive had errors come up when moding with gnome.
    I use Gnome in various situations, but not on this one...

Damn If you like Aymar give me your email and I can send you a copy of the original startpos with just the sahara added on. Have you added it on top of other mods? If so youre gonna go insane looking for it.

Just thought of something, have you got the viking addon installed?

Or an even better idea, if you already got the original startpos saved, copy it and add on sahara mod to it just to see if it works (without including tradegoods/resources and titles for now), because Im pretty much 100% sure its accurate.

Quote[/b] ]Damn If you like Aymar give me your email and I can send you a copy of the original startpos with just the sahara added on. Have you added it on top of other mods? If so youre gonna go insane looking for it.
    Don't worry, man
    I won't go insane if I won't go looking for it...

I've introduced the data in a campaign available on the ORG called "Twenty Kings of Europe".
    It's not a MOD, just a modification to start at 1071 (Manzikert) and to enable Hungarians, Papacy and Novgorod to be able to play in Early.

Quote[/b] ]Just thought of something, have you got the viking addon installed?
    YES 2.01 patch to be precise.
    Is that the problem?

Quote[/b] ]Or an even better idea, if you already got the original startpos saved, copy it and add on sahara mod to it just to see if it works (without including tradegoods/resources and titles for now), because Im pretty much 100% sure its accurate.
    Yes. I have them.
    I'll try it, thanks for all the help...

P.S. : My e-mail is in my posts...
    But you don't have to send me that yet.
    I'll try your sugestions first.

Nah, you know what I dont even know why I said that because I dont think it makes a difference if you got vi or not. Been working too much overtime lately.

Anyways Il check out that twentykings in the org. Always wantedto be the Pope

Quote[/b] ]Been working too much overtime lately.
    Then relax.
    No worries...

Quote[/b] ]Anyways Il check out that twentykings in the org. Always wantedto be the Pope
    If you play it, be sure not to touch the GA buttons on the strategic map.

I'll explain:

-If you play the Pope, don't touch Hungary's or Novgorod's GA objectives or it will crash the game. It happens to me.
    -If you play one dont touch the other 2 GA's.
    -With the original factions there's no problem.

P.S. : If it doesn't crash with you , tell me what's your secret...

Thanks for the tip Aymar Il check it out tonight

I know, I should relax, well thats what the Doc keeps telling me I suppose working a 13hr daily shift is not helping. My advice: Dont become an accountant, long hours, impossible workloads and contrary to what everyone says, Its not bloody worth the money

Er...sorry about that , my rant of the day, anyways suppose I better get back to work, only another 9hours to go Whooppee

Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the tip Aymar Il check it out tonight
    Anytime...

Quote[/b] ]I suppose working a 13hr daily shift is not helping.
    13??

*thinking*

POOR GUY

*thinking*

Quote[/b] ] My advice: Dont become an accountant, long hours, impossible workloads and contrary to what everyone says, Its not bloody worth the money
    Thanks I didn't

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Moved this to the Repository as we are getting crowded with pinned topics ...LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!