Thread: How to change the GA points for homelands

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

The devs stated that you could change the homeland GA in Viking Invasion ex pack but still no mod has included them so i hope someone will know...
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

They are listed in the campaign files, in the campmap\startpos folder.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

The only ones that i could find was the ga conquest rewards i couldnt find the homelands
    any help???????

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

CA

The file you want for homeland is regowner_table in the root. I am sorry it's a bit of a mess. All it needs is a sequence of FN_FACTION,points.

There are 16 period in the game from early to the end. The year where the points are counted cannot be changed, so you are basically stuck with just editing our stuff.

The first 16 is for region zero, don't change that. The next 16 pairs is for region one. If shows who should own this region at which check point and how many points that region is worth. In the game region one is Scotland, and the table shows that in the 9th check point if FN_ENGLISH holds Scotland then they gain 1 point.

Again, it's not pretty but if you needs to change the goals then this is the only way.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

HI eat cold steel thanks for the suggestion BUT i cannot open that file in the properties it sais file type file and the windows search to open it found that its a trojian virus programm
    im on winxp home what can i do to open that file is it hardcoded?????
    again HELP
    ive found a programm that opens the file
    i was a complete idiot...
    but as that i have a BIG QUESTION:

WHY THE GLORY GOALS ARE HARDCODED?????????

any answeres would be sencierly appreciated...

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

open the file from notepad or wordpad, it is not a virus,

and it is awful in there,

i strongly suggest BACKUP the original before you start work,

then breaking it into 16 entries groups,
    an entry is FN_NONE,1,

each group of 16 entries represents one province starting at zero,
    dont change the entries for province zero

once you have finished working on it remove any "markers" you put in it and remove carraige returns and page breaks.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I have been wondering is it possible to add GA for factions like Novgorod (after they are changed to playabe)?
    I am the law and you can't beat the law.

Just Another Cretin, eh? Member L`zard's Avatar

Barocca

Any comments on this.....?

Have you cracked the 'code' in regowners vis what faction/what province?

Anyplace to read more about this?

I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius; I keep them in a jar under my bed.

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

??
    ECS explained it quite well earlier in this thread
    (fourth post)

the numerical sequence of provinces matches the province declaration DeclareLandRegion in campmap/startpos/early.txt high and late text files have the exact same list as early

region zero is the first 16 pairs - do not edit those,
    region one is scotland and is the second set of sixteen pairs,
    region two is North Umbria and is third set of sixteen pairs,
    etc etc etc
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Tx The reffereces to the viking campaign threw me off the scent.
    I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius; I keep them in a jar under my bed.

gotcha covered :-)
    changed thread title :-)
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

If you use the // as your marker, you can divide the file up by the regions and it works fine with the game. My file is divided and has each region labeled. I've made a few changes so I haven't added it to the files section. If I get time I'll undo the changes to it and post it.
    "The only thing worse then being witty is not being witty"

Good news, Gaddow, thnx for the post on this

Any chance you could mail me your modded txt.s? I'd like to see what you've done.

lzard2@comcast.net

Thx Gaddow I'm gonna start playing around in the regowners just to see if it affects the AI's play and what other effects it might cause.

I'd be happy to send my results to anyone interested in this. And to recieve modded txts and results of other's experiments as well.

If I see anything interesting, I'll pst concerning same, eh?

Gaddow,Wes, et all;

At the bottom of the regowners_table is a large concentration of FN_NONE entries, which in amount comes to 36 regions, the right number for the sea-regions declared in the basic VI startpos list, and no doubt IDed the same way as the land regions.

I've not seen anything in terms of GA pts associated with sea-zones, but it might make for interesting experiments.

I'll post later on concerning said experiments......

I'm really interested in whether changing the values for the GA affect the AI behavior in any way at all, but testing will require some serious auto-runs.

Anyone that starts to see something out of the norm, plz post your observations, eh?

BUMP, excuse Me

Hasn't anyone noticed that if your mod has a different starting date in the startpos file than the original ones the GA checkpoints are a bit "scrambled"?

My startpos starts at year 1000 and the first checkpoint is in 1350, the precedent ones are missing even if my game would start earlier then 1087.

If I modify the starting date to 1087 than I have the normal checkpoints starting at 1100 (then 1125,1150, 1175 etc...)

I wonder why it starts in 1350... probably because so they skips the crusade part

After endless CTDs and various strange behaviours of the games I came to the conclusion that GA points don't work for heavily modded stuff.

They could be fine if you keep the same original factions and starting dates but if you have new factions and your mod starts at different dates that the original ones, no way to make it works.

To be more detailed if you open the GA panel for a new faction this makes the game to CTD, as probably it lacks the shield image for the new faction.

Ok, you can make a new one and maybe it could even work, but then what's the point if the GAs are all scrambled (the first in 1350) just because you want your campaign to start at 1086 instead than 1087?

And then the RegOwnersFile::"custom file" command in the startpos file doesn't seem to work so you always have to rename the original one and copy over your modded one.

And then you consider then that the glorious achievments other than province hoarding are hardcoded and you have clear that modding GAs is a complete waste of time...

Sorry for me being a bit drastic but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Solved the CTDs opening the GA parchment for the new factions.

You have to add a shield BIF file for every of your new faction in \campmap\parchments\glory naming it the same way you declared your new faction (FN_XXXXX).

Maybe some light for the modders who just want to modify the original early, high and late campaigns. Still no way to makes GA work for different starting dates...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Re Berengario I @ Dec. 16 2003,19:04)]Solved the CTDs opening the GA parchment for the new factions.

You have to add a shield BIF file for every of your new faction in \campmap\parchments\glory naming it the same way you declared your new faction (FN_XXXXX).

Maybe some light for the modders who just want to modify the original early, high and late campaigns. Still no way to makes GA work for different starting dates...
    Bless you, Berengario.

Now L'zard should be able to find out even more with his testing, and I'll be able to stop the most frequent question I receive regarding the Medmod. (Why does the game crash...?)

If it can help someone messing with the regowner file you can split it using "//" and line breaks as long as you put the commas after every value.

In short words you can have different lines for every province:
    //ID_SCOTLAND
    FN_SCOTTISH,3,FN_SCOTTISH,3,...FN_SCOTTISH,3,
    //ID_NORTHUMBRIA
    FN_ENGLISH,1,....FN_ENGLISH,1,
    etc...

Remember the first couple of values states the owner of the province at 1087 and the value is conventionally "1".

Your the MAN, Berengario

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (WesW @ Dec. 17 2003,02:10)]
    Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I,Dec. 16 2003,19:04
    Solved the CTDs opening the GA parchment for the new factions.

Berengario;

How simple, How profound AND it works like a charm

One can even import new bifs to replace those hi-jacked from 'old' factions, lol

Now, to get the flags to match, and work on all the facshield problems, eh, Wes?

Your a very good man, Berengario Very good

Wes...Why don't you recruit this superior intellect to the team, eh?

Quote[/b] ]Do these .bifs need to be of a certain type, or can one get away with copying and renaming .bifs from the /shields folder?
    I used copied and pasted BIFS from an existing faction to see if it worked and it did.

I'll use "original fine arts" for the final realese of my mod either. (BTW, when messing with BIFs for the control panel remember not to save them with readbif but use CA's Purplegrab to avoid the "black spots".)

Anyway I have 4 working new factions in my Beta mod with GA fully working. But I had to set the startdate to 1087 to make the checkpoints to work.

Another aspect is to balance the points assigned to your GA because otherway Scottish for example won't never have any chance to win because they won't crusade.

You can't change hardcoded GA for existing factions, the only way is to change their name in Declarefaction part of the startpos. I changed FN_ITALIAN to FN_VENETIAN and so they don't have the hardcoded crusade GA even if they're still the 9th declared faction.

A lot of work changing all the references in the files though, but it's feasible.

Quote[/b] (Re Berengario I @ Dec. 19 2003,00:53)]You can't change hardcoded GA for existing factions, the only way is to change their name in Declarefaction part of the startpos. I changed FN_ITALIAN to FN_VENETIAN and so they don't have the hardcoded crusade GA even if they're still the 9th declared faction.

A lot of work changing all the references in the files though, but it's feasible.

Oh, Wes~~~~

Hire him, fire me, eh? Barengario has point, as far as I'm concerned. This man figured it all out.........

Any of this sound familiar?

Quote[/b] (L`zard @ Dec. 19 2003,02:08)]Oh, Wes~~~~

Hire him, fire me, eh? Barengario has point, as far as I'm concerned. This man figured it all out.........

Yeah, he's come along at just the right time alright.

Using his info on the shield bifs, I went through and made a little chart listing all of the graphics I think you need for new factions, including GA's. We should be able to use BKB's new factions to do the new names and such, and I have been studying how to change the stats for kings and heroes, so now it's just a matter of picking faction colors and designs. I'm still relying on you for the colors and designs, btw.
    All the work I have done on the update this week was forced me to start making more specific decisions on exactly which factions will be in the mod. I have also had to begin laying out the unit lineups for some of the upcoming factions as well, and that will be in the faction descriptions doc with the update.

Quote[/b] ]Hire him, fire me, eh? Barengario has point, as far as I'm concerned. This man figured it all out.........

Yeah, he's come along at just the right time alright.
    You make me blushing

The reason behind is very simple: we are trying to create 2 very similar mods (I play your mod Wes because the vanilla one bored me after 2 weeks of peasant slaughtering ) and we crash against the very same problems.

We have a different approaches relating to the playability side as with the MTW strategic game engine is too easy to raise money and to keep peace over your dominions, which is so far from the reality of the middle-age times that it doesn't immerse me in the feeling of that era.

But that's me and I'm not so presumptuous to think that everyone would have fun struggling on conquering a single province for years.

I'll be glad anyway to share what I discovered about the engine and I care nothing to have my name on your mod entry screen.
    Probably I couldn't realease my mod to the public because it has a "viking add-on cd" size, so if I can help to make a successful mod like yours better I'm here. After all I'll play it too .

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Moved to the Repository to make room, we are accumulating to many pinned topics again...LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!