Thread: "-green_generals" command line

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question

I have recently enabled the -green_generals command line in MTW to make the game more realistic, but I wonder how it works. If I start up the game through the pop-up menu that appears when I insert the CD, is -green_ generals enabled? Or is it only enabled when I open in through the desktop shortcut?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

It will only be available through the short-cut that you have added the command line switch to The launcher run by the cd will only run the vanilla game.

*Ringo*
    Denuone Latine Loquebar?

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Wow, stop the press What green_general command? Never heard of it, I know that .nuttermode. is supposed to make the AI more aggressive, but what it's with the green_generals line, what does it do and how do you enable it?

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Read A Beginners Guide to MTW, see the section 'Cheat Codes and Command Lines'
    Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
    Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
    Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
    My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore

Blog Entries

Thank you for your promt answer, Ringo.

Voigtkampf, you can add several commandlines to the target box in the properties menu of the shortcut to MTW. These are:
    -ian - debug mode, runs in a smaller screen, you can move the camera about more in the battle maps to get close up views, you can disable the AI or switch factions using the number keys. The A key allows you to put the game on auto run.
    -loyalty:X - sets the auto tax to maintain X loyalty where X is the number you want. Always use more than 100 at the very minimum unless you want a lot of rebellions. I recommend 120 for a reliable income and reasonably reliable loyalty or 180 to maintain very high loyalty and rarely see a rebellion.
    -strictserver – a multiplayer related command that is on by default for all VI installations. Just leave it alone.
    -green_generals – for VI only. When a general dies his replacement won’t be identical to him in stats, vices and virtues. Instead the new man will be slightly weaker.
    (I copied these from Froggy's guide).

The target normally is C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.exe –strictserver

So it will become C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.exe –strictserver -green_generals
    (since it green_generals only works in VI).

This is because VI did something about immortal generals: they too died of old age. This seems logic, since royal families do die of age. But dead generals would be replaced by a general with identical traits, so it was only an aesthetic improvement. With the commandline -green_generals, the replacement generals will have (slightly?) lower stats.
    I'm curious to know if this also applies to generals who die in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Feb. 02 2004,19:26)]The target normally is C:Program FilesTotal WarMedieval - Total WarMedieval_TW.exe –strictserver

So it will become F:Program FilesTotal WarMedieval - Total WarMedieval_TW.exe –strictserver -green_generals
    Well oops I didn't notice until now that I had changed one of the shortcuts to the more typical C: and left the other on my own setting of F: aka my secondary hard drive. Better fix that now.

You know I'm finally getting used to seeing myself quoted in random topics on assorted forums - I don't have a heart attack each time I read a topic and find myself quoted or referred to at some point. Now I just turn pink Still strange reading something and thinking it seems familiar, only to see it credited to yourself at some point. At least this means my work is functioning as the source and repository of information it was intended as.

EDIT:Well I just checked all versions of the beginners guide and the unit guide which shares that appendix and they all have both shortcuts listed as F: so there is nothing to fix. Well that was easy Where did the C: come from?

Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Blog Entries

Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ Feb. 02 2004,21:07)]EDIT: Well I just checked all versions of the beginners guide and the unit guide which shares that appendix and they all have both shortcuts listed as F: so there is nothing to fix. Well that was easy Where did the C: come from?
    I apologize for giving you that trouble for nothing. I had corrected it in the first instance, but forgot to correct it in the second instance (I used cut and paste from your guide). It has been edited already.

Quote[/b] ]You know I'm finally getting used to seeing myself quoted in random topics on assorted forums - I don't have a heart attack each time I read a topic and find myself quoted or referred to at some point. Now I just turn pink
    Glad to hear it, because it is only going to get worse. Now they are quoting you correctly. The next stage is that people are starting to quote things you haven't said. So I suggest you contact a cardiologist.

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

hmm, does the green generals line affect current saved games? can i still play my current/saved games after i input the line?

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Thank you, Motorhead, I never read that part.

Lord Ludens, special thanks for taking trouble to find that and copy it over here. I never messed with the command lines and I only knew of the .cheats. - the green_general command line should add to more realism, I just might try that out… The next orange juice is on me

Now I dare myself into the unexplored depths of the higher programming… Oh, dear…

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Arrow

I've used this switch ever since VI came out and ECS told us about it. It is very realistic, now idle generals lose stars over the years, ie after 40 years their rank goes down by one (they die and another guy takes over), thus you won't see the map littered with Spanish and Byzantine 300 year old 9 star generals unless they actually fight battles to preserve their rank or gain new stars.
    Their v&vs are also reduced by one level (I think) upon their death, so I can only recommend using this switch.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

Blog Entries

Quote[/b] (Brutal DLX @ Feb. 03 2004,10:20)]It is very realistic, now idle generals lose stars over the years, ie after 40 years their rank goes down by one (they die and another guy takes over), thus you won't see the map littered with Spanish and Byzantine 300 year old 9 star generals unless they actually fight battles to preserve their rank or gain new stars.
    Their v&vs are also reduced by one level (I think) upon their death, so I can only recommend using this switch.
    Thank you for this information, Freiherr.

Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Feb. 02 2004,19:26)]Thank you for your promt answer, Ringo.
    no probs

*Ringo*
    Denuone Latine Loquebar?