Thread: Story - Battle Analysis

Hi all, I participated in a battle in original STW and did a thorough analysis of it. Its written in a combination of styles. One as a militry leader and one as a 'combat reporter'. I am providing a teaser of it below.

If you would like me to post the rest of it send encouraging words. It took me 4 hours to analyze the battle, fight it and then write about it so be nice... as you are normally. I can't promise it will be as interesting as one of Vanya's sagas and its certainly written in a completely different style/ manner so let me know if you want to see more of it by replying to this post.

On that note here is a teaser...

"Summer Battle"

Order of Battle:

Forces of Light: (Defenders)

Glorious Mori (Me)
    YC4, ND3, ND3, SA2, YS3, Ar3

Brave Shimazu
    Ar4, HC2, CA2, WM2, ND2, YA5, YA3

Bold Takeda
    YA7, CA2, Na3, Na2, YS3, YA2, YA2

Loyal Hojo
    YA6, HC2, HC2, WM2, YS3, Ar2

vs. Evil Pig-Dogs of: (Attackers)

Cruel Chokosobe
    Mu3, YC2, Na4, Na3, SA2

Tyrannical Oda
    CA5, CA3, SA2, YS2, YA2

Treacherous Imagawa
    Mu4, YC3, CA3, CA2, YS2, YA4

Cowardly Uesugi
    HC4, HC2, Mu3, Ar2, Ar2, YA5

Situational Analysis:

Enemy Forces:
    The treasonous Pig-Dogs of Chokosobe, Oda, Imagawa and Uesugi are collaborating to usurp the rightful power of the Mori Shogunate. Our Shinobi tell us that the stinking betrayers will attempt a lightning thrust using attack vectors directly toward our known starting location in the SW corner of the Vale, attempting to bypass allied forces and strike at the heart of the Shogunate.

Enemy starting locations are only important in that they determine which Clan will come from a particular direction and what obstacles they will encounter first. Imagawa attacks from the NW corner thru Hojo towards Mori. Chokosobe attacks from the N central and will attempt bypass of Hojo to assault Mori directly. Oda attacks from the far NE corner and should be last to battle, aiming directly toward Mori, but must pass in front of Shimazu. Uesugi attacks from the most awkward position, passing directly in front of both Takeda and then (potentially) Shimazu before encountering Mori.

Both Uesugi and Oda are lead by very experienced & dangerous Daimyos but bring unbalanced armies to the field, especially Uesugi, whereas Chokosobe and Imagawa are led by somewhat suspect Musketeer Generals but have better balanced armies. Uesugi has a particularly unbalanced army, one difficult to manage, which may prove their undoing. Oda has a missile heavy army and little offensive melee power, also better suited for the defense. Chokosobe, while well balanced, is also better suited for the defense. Only Imagawa has a truly offensively oriented army.

If our enemies attack as quickly as expected the Cavalry of all Clans may combine and will quickly outpace their foot support. This may make them easy targets for our combined might. In this case we will attempt to quickly eliminate both the Oda and Uesugi Daimyos and route the rest of the Cavalry, turning the tide of the battle greatly in our favor.

If the enemy instead matches the speed of their Cavalry to that of their slower foot troops we will end up with a different battle. In this case the clans may fight as isolated commands. Both Chokosobe’s and Imagawa’s Generals may have a difficult time controlling their Cavalry units, who in turn may display some resentment and hence confusion on the battlefield. Routing these Generals should be a top priority. Of special concern in this battle will be Chokosobe’s employment of tough Naginata. But the most dangerous Clan in this scenario will be Uesugi, IF their Daimyo can effectively wield his forces into a synchronized combined arms element. The weather may play a factor here.

While guns could play a role in the battle I feel that the Chokosobe General does not have the experience to employ them effectively. The Uesugi Daimyo probably does though and hence must be considered the greatest threat on the battlefield and should be given top elimination priority.

Next... Analysis of Allied Forces...

------------------
    "To fight is to live"
    "To fight is to live"

How many points:
    -for each generals
    -for entire forces

------------------
    "Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
    -Frontenac
    (I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
    -Trad. libre
    "Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
    -Frontenac
    (I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
    -Trad. libre

Good question. I just realized my forces of battle could be confusing.

Please note that the number next to the unit abbreviation is Honour level... NOT number of units of that type. Each unit is listed seperately with its Honour level next to it.

As for total points. I am assuming you mean koku. Not sure. It was either 5000 or 10,000 cause those are the only settings I ever use. Probably 10K if I had to guess. So divide each number by 4 to get koku per Clan. So 2500 per Clan (General).

------------------
    "To fight is to live"
    "To fight is to live"