Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battle Map Editor - Q & A's

Dirk, when I tried to answer your PM I got the message that your inbox was full. I'll answer here instead:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dirk @ Mar. 19 2004,07:58)]Norseman,
    I've tried to send you some files and used the following variations of your adres:
    hjar rand@hotmail.com
    hjarrand@hotmail.com
    hjarand@hotmail.com
    No matter waht I tried, they just keep coming back.
    What am I doing wrong ?
    Dirk
    It is a "_" between "hjar" and "rand". It doesn't show very well when it becomes a hyperlink.
    Maybe I should write it as this instead, with "AT" replacing "@":

REMOVEhjar_randAThotmail.com

Norse

Fury of the Northmen mod

Sorry Dirk, I forgot one thing. You need to zip the files, as hotmail thinks one of the map files is a potential virus and won't deliver it.

Sorry for the trouble.

Fury of the Northmen mod

The pics in this thread are not working at the moment: My website provider has some technical problems.

If they will not be solved, then I will upload them to another place.
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

I have a question: I´ve never found a "steppe" definition in the startpos file.

How to define steppesmaps?
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote[/b] (Antalis:: @ April 14 2004,11:06)]I have a question: I´ve never found a "steppe" definition in the startpos file.

How to define steppesmaps?
    Didn´t you answer this yourself on a previous post in this thread?

Yes I guess you´re right.

Thats the only definition, which I havn´t tried to define, but I guess its simple.
    I guess I have to define: INLAND STEPPES NO_RIVER.

Have to try it.

But look in the startpos.txts: There is no such definition.

edit: No it doesn´t work like this in this case.

Any comments?

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

But here a new information:

About the Historical battles:

Look in the BDF file:

Player::"Alexander the Great" 1 1 LOCAL "Alexander" 0 false 38000 15000 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE
    Player::"Darius III" 14 14 ARTIFICIAL "Darius" 0 true 28822 5742 0 MUSLIM_CULTURE

38000 15000 are the coordinates where the camera is at the beginning.

0 = The direction of the camera.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Quote[/b] (Antalis:: @ April 15 2004,06:19)]But look in the startpos.txts: There is no such definition.
    Maybee CA intended it to be like this so you must be able to change it to anything you´d wan´t. I looked in the start.pos file and yes there´s no definitions. That´s why I think that you don´t have too define them.

Well maybe, but how will MTW knows when to use it?

Thats the question.

Maybe MTW uses it like using the plains definition.
    So it would not matter if you name it plainsinland01 or steppesinland01, but I doupt so, because why making two different names for one landscape type.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Could it be that steppe is arid climate then?

No, also plains lbms exists in arid, also in temperate and lush.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

This topic deserves some serious contemplation since the potential for using this "undefined" map could prove unlimited. Why not turn this issue to the CA-team?

Yes the possibilities would be huge.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

OK, I have read this relatively old thread through, but I have a question.

I made a very large castle for my castle map. Flat land around it, very plain, several levels to it. I always use the snap to corner, center etc thing and my walls are unbroken and look very nice. It works as a castle map, but I would like to edit it some more. As it is, if I were to raise ground like I want to, I would have wall sections seemingly isolated on a mountain side. So, I want to shorten the walls to they don't connect all the way around. Then I can raise mountains to cover some of the area a wall section otherwise would. What I mean is something like this:

(pretend this is a top view)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    / \
    \ / btw, the ^^ things are mountains,
    \ / the \ and _ are walls.
    \/

I hope you get the idea. As already stated, there are a few things a castle needs in order to function like one, namely unbroken walls that connect, gates, and perhaps a keep. Can I get around this? In a previous post someone said that writing castlemap in a certain file in a certain place would fix it so you could play around with it. This has not been my experience. I did that after getting the map to work, then I edited it to the way I originally hoped to get it, saved, wrote in castlemap, and tried to play a battle. I wasn't deploying inside the fort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question, how do I get gates in my custom maps to work? I have not been able to make working gates so far, and I have absolutely no idea how to make them or even if that is possible.

One more thing, can I edit some files or something so that I can get towers that won't fire any missiles?
    You know, Frankenstien was Jewish too.....

You need indeed a castle with walls running all around.
    There should not be a gap between the walls.

So if I get your idea right, it isn´t possible.

Mountains are no walls.

About the gates: Use working gates: There is one gate: "locked gate", don´t use it.
    Other then that it should work, if you have a closed wallsystem.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Thanks, I guess. You gave me an answer, but I am dissapointed. I was going to use texture to make the mountain impassable so that it sort of continued the wall and in play you couldn't march up a vertical height to get in the inner ring. I was hoping that I could trick the program somehow to think it was a castlemap without all the requirements.

Anyway, can I send you my map? see if you might understand why the gates won't work?

I am asking this to save time, because my map takes a while to load, and editing it, saving, loading a try out battle and redoing it is tedious. OK, pretend I made a square castle, connected walls, a working castlemap. If I were to raise ground in front of a wall section to sort of hide it, and create an illusion that the wall is built into the mountain, the section will not be at the same height as the others. Will it still be recognized as connected by the program?

I could also connect the first wall, the outer wall, and leave the others open ended and looking built into the mountain. BTW I have five or six seperate walls, each built inside of one another. With the other requirements, will it be recognized as a castlemap?
    You know, Frankenstien was Jewish too.....

You need a ringsystem.
    Thats all.
    Then the gate will workingt.
    The MTW engine is very limited in that case.

And to try to build the walls inside the mountain doesn´t working at all: The walls would fit to the heights.

And yes, if you try to hide it with hills in front of the walls and its a wallsystem it should work.
    Try it.
    But it looks not very well.

---
    If it will be recognized as castlemap?
    Guess so, but you have to test it.

Maybe remove the seperate walls and use only closed wall systems as ringsystems.

If that really doesn´t working then I can send you my e-mail addy with PM.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Hello Antalis & others interested in the map editor, I am new to this site, but have a question that nobody can answer in the total war forum. You & the readme text describe how to use the river, but I cannot find it to use in a map, even in the textures. I know about raising sea levels, and have built some interesting moats, but where r rivers, and is there another way to add a coastline besides paintng sand on a hill & raising the sea level to suit?

Quote[/b] (DragonRider @ July 03 2004,23:18)]You & the readme text describe how to use the river, but I cannot find it to use in a map, even in the textures. I know about raising sea levels, and have built some interesting moats, but where r rivers, and is there another way to add a coastline besides paintng sand on a hill & raising the sea level to suit?
    If I understand your problem correctly you have a problem placing rivers? Well, you can´t "place" rivers with a terrain button. What you need to do is to lower the terrain into a trech/ canal. By rising the "sealevel", even on an inlandmap, this will fill your river with water. Don´t forget to make the river run from one corner of the map to the other. To answer you secon question there is no other way to create a river or a coastline. Good luck

Thankyou PseRamesses, for your response. I have dug trenches/canals & filled them with water, but my point was that it looks nothing like the rivers in the actual game battles. The readme says that the bridge will fit from bank to bank once I use the map in a custom game, I am yet to try this, but find it hard to believe. But at least I now know that I was looking for something that is not there at all.

Quote[/b] (DragonRider @ July 06 2004,05:34)]Thankyou PseRamesses, for your response. I have dug trenches/canals & filled them with water, but my point was that it looks nothing like the rivers in the actual game battles. The readme says that the bridge will fit from bank to bank once I use the map in a custom game, I am yet to try this, but find it hard to believe. But at least I now know that I was looking for something that is not there at all.
    No problem Dragonrider
    Everything will look ok when you play the map. Belive me the bridge will fit and the river will look like the ones in the game. You can actually elaborate with bridges and rivers quite a bit. Ex; shore-bridge-sanddune-bridge-shore. No matter how long the crossing the bridge will be stretched to fit from shore to shore. However be careful not to place more than one river to avoid oddities. I actually made a map with a river and a trench around the castle away from the river and it worked but I belive I´m pushing the programming this way. I´ve also made playable island maps, completely surrounded by the sea with just a tiny land in the north and south connected to the edge to allow routers and reinforcements. Good luck

Thanks a lot

Default Re: Battle Map Editor - #Q & A's

[QUOTE=PseRamesses]Using the map editor to create a custom battle map leaves me with some questions:
    1. How do I determine startingpoints for each army on the battle-map?

Somebody responded that 1 was not possible. If so can one swap the CPU and Human positions around, because I want to play Hastings as the English on top of the hill. In Custom games I can either get it to make the English on top and attacking(?), or below and defending. This seems crazy to me and frustrating, because I want to defend the hill. It is also annoying that the Huscarl/fyrd units from the VI game aren't in the historic battle, only the early period stuff. Does anyone know how to put huscarls and the like in the early period so that I can have them against fuedal knights.

I'm sure this is a forlorn hope, but thanks if anyone responds.

Regards,
    Ambrosius.

Capitano del Popolo Member saundersag's Avatar

I hope i can be of some use. Firstly you should get a program called dragon editor, you can find this on the org downloads. You also need to have windows service pack 1. Then open up dragon editor you will have to set it in the total war directory. Then load up the early period startpos section. Set go to viking huscarle and frydmen then go across to end and where it says no faction type FN_ENGLISH. Now you will be able to use these units for custom battle games for the english.

N.B you will not be able to play multiplayer with this total war if you do this.

[QUOTE=saundersag]I hope i can be of some use. Firstly you should get a program called dragon editor, you can find this on the org downloads. You also need to have windows service pack 1. Then open up dragon editor you will have to set it in the total war directory. Then load up the early period startpos section. Set go to viking huscarle and frydmen then go across to end and where it says no faction type FN_ENGLISH. Now you will be able to use these units for custom battle games for the english.

Thanks, but I still have to find a way of getting the Human player to defend the hill as the English at Hastings. I heard that someone did a mod for the demo in which you could play as Harold, so I guess it is possible.

Cheers for the help anyway.

I didn't know I could post here. o.O

How to create a castlemap with a river:
    The castle has to be in the south of the map on the other side of the river.
    That's not the case with Orleans map, is it? The castle is in the south but it's not on the 'other side.'

Comments..?

Btw, I thought it didn't matter so I made one in the south with its gate extending to the northern side of the river. It ctded. :( LOL

Hi all, I know this thread is old as petrified crap, but im creating some pretty cool siege maps for Samurai Warlords and am having errors with a few things. The first is the gate, it seems to never open doors, attackers never assault, and there is always an annoying sound of hinges opening repeating when defenders go through it. I followed all guidelines but still the attackers seem to assualt walls and they don't destroy at all.
    They just go through them magically after the message comes up they have been destroyed. Any veteran map maker please help me figure out whats going on, thank you!

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Hi Lord Ahrens,

You can still find some useful stuff amongst the coprolites

Have you checked all the basic stuff three times over? Like all walls join, form complete rings, all placed the same way round etc?

Then have you done anything non-standard: edited textures, changes missiles etc?

I know I've had some maps that have done similar things a long long while ago, but for now can't recall the fixes. Although I think one of them was a wall that looked complete, but had a gap about a pixel wide between sections that stopped it being a full 'ring' - bceause I had placed one section without snapping to grid - it looked close enough by eye, but it wasn't close enough to work.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Thanks Macsen Rufus, this really helped with the issue. I'll do all castle maps for them now and post them up in a month for the mod.
    Last edited by Lord Ahrens; 08-22-2016 at 20:08.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

You're welcome

Good luck with the project, but be warned - making castle maps can be addictive
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123