Thread: Hobilars

I am using hobilars to defeat royal knights in my campaign as English as I am very short of decent units and heavily outnumbered . I send them round the enemy and charge towards the royal knights , once the knights move to engage I set the hobilars to run around the battlefield using waypoints with the knights in pursuit . Then I defeat the main force and reform my forces to recieve the totally exhausted and demoralised knights . It seems to work as long as the hobilars don't rout (or not too early anyway).

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Great unit indeed and your using it ina good way head on with RK they wont have much chanse...i use em aswell when i play English/French and i try to take Aragon just to train em there with weapon upgrades..good unit in desert aswell

Hobies are the nemesis of mounted archers and bows. I love to waste the AI's tactics by having hobies chase mounted archers all around the map.
    They are great foot archer/bows killers, specially when they're left un supported by spears or militias.

i use hobbies as war horses that charge straight into enemy horses.

of course thats in multiplayer when they are V4 weapon 3 and shield 3.

unstoppable.

British Army: be the best

Take over Spain and get jinetted, then you can do the same and take potshots at the RK when they stop to rest ;) Or if you play france get turcopoles from the middle east, or better yet just play as the Turk

The Ai loves holibars. It usually build like 10 of them in aqutaine for no apparent reason

Does anybody else see this happen, or am i going crazy??
    War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

I have seen this, but it does not mean that your are sane...

Conspicuously Inconspicuous Member makkyo's Avatar

I like getting a TON of the hobbies (cheap) and send them to chace down and suround and ranged units the enemy has while the rest of my army can focus without pesky arrows raining down upon them
    They are fast as well and can chase down routers effectively. They seem to be good at cav vs cav battles if your smart
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Fojar @ Feb. 11 2004,04:07)]The Ai loves holibars. It usually build like 10 of them in aqutaine for no apparent reason

Does anybody else see this happen, or am i going crazy??
    In the early game England start of wiht a horsebreeder in Aquitane and nothing else. I would guess that is why you are seeing so many hobilars there.

I just found out hobies are much like steppe cav. slightly better than jinetes because of higher charge bonus and superior to saharan horse. Far from useless if you ask me.