Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poland Expert PBEM Campaign (Early GA)

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

Hi,
    I've been reading the forum with interest and I wanted to see a MTW 1.1 PBEM get going, so I've decided to see if anyone wanted to get one join in. If you are intereseted reply to this post and I'll draw up some rules. I've chosen Poland as nobody recently has done them (or at all).
    Ang

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

There was a Poland conquer the world game:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=11382

I am not sure Poland has any interesting GA. Otherwise Poland is a fun choice for a PBM - one of the weakest choices. I suspect that if she is to survive, she has to be played rather more aggressively than in the French role-playing game.

I chose Polnd exactly because one of the main points in it's GA is to expand by conquest This gives people a reason to attack the rebels to the east.

If anyone wants to lend me a set of ground rules that have worked in the past I would very grateful as I'm struggling to think up my own

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Um - now you mention it, a role-playing Polish game MIGHT be feasible. If you use Revenant's rules for the French campaign, the Poles can still freely attack rebels, Byzantines and Muslims. They can hit back at the Western Catholics but can't grab much of their land due to the Pope's injunctions. Might just be doable - the Poles don't want to go West early on, anyway, as it is much tougher there. They would have to focus on preparing to survive the Mongols and then lead the Catholics by GA, rather than extermination. Sounds like an interesting campaign.

The Poles have the Jagellion University GA goal which is quite a good one, especially since they're severely lacking in infrastructure and income early on in the game and it hampers the military development of Poland somewhat.

Ok..here are the rules
    The Game is to be played with Poland in Early and with Glorius Achievements as a victory condition with the difficulty set onto Expert. Also, i won't insist on a write up but instead strongly suggest it as it gives another aspect to playing the game.

1.The GA's are the most important part of the campaign, we're going for a win by outscoring everyone else. So if any major war is started by Poland in this then a VALID reason must be given. eg Homelands (but must stop after capturing objectives)

2.NO attacking un-excommunicated Catholic Countries without provocation, also orders from the Pope are to be followed (after all you are a devout Catholic). Attacking rebels, Bzantium and Muslim Factions is ok as it very often is justifyable.

3.Roleplay yor king and his V&V's, this makes the game more interesting as it allows for some very interesting reigns.

4.Email the campaign as well as sending it on to the next person, i like keeping checks on how it is progressing my email is angli_@hotmail.com

As soon as we get enough people interested I will start the campaign with me as the first king. (If not enoguh people are interested you may get more than 1 reign)

Well I think I'm interested, always loved the poles..
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

So i'll count you in then? If so PM me your email cos you'll be next in line after me

Okay pm'd u my e-mail... :)

-Frederick the Great

Ok...i'm just looking for 2 maybe 3 more ppl and we can get under way..

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

I'm in it. eastsidecharacter@hotmail.com
    But why MTW 1.1 , if you dont have VI then anyway it'd be better to play 2.1 patched version. What do you think.

Regards,
    EC

Oh lol, I can't play 1.01....
    So I'm out....

-Frederick the Great

Sorry to hear that....Duck
    Welcome aboard East...I havent got VI so i've been pretty limited in joining a PBEM. So iu set one up myself.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

You can play MTW v1.1 using the VI cd...

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Really ? This mena that Vi players can get involved.. If so pls join

Sounds good.
    I got MTW, but not VI.

Ok,
    Heres a list of the players who've agreed to play so far.

1. Ang (Me) King Wladyslaw I The Warrior 1087-1097
    2. Eastsidecharacter King Wladyslaw II The Great 1098 - 1137
    3. o_loompah King Mieszko III The Conquoerer 1138-1178
    4. Buka King Wladyslaw III The Shipwright 1178-1203
    5. Nightcrawlerblue King ??? 1203 -
    6. Omneleupi
    7. Jeff ???

I'd love to give it a go, I've read many of the others. My problem is that I am unsure on how to take screenshots and save them and upload them and such. So if someone could give me the skinny on all that stuff I'd love to try it. I've got VI also. My email is jeff8275@yahoo.com

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jeff @ Feb. 15 2004,00:11)]I'd love to give it a go, I've read many of the others. My problem is that I am unsure on how to take screenshots and save them and upload them and such. So if someone could give me the skinny on all that stuff I'd love to try it. I've got VI also.
    Hey Jeff,

To make a screenshot just press F2, or Print Screen. All the screenshots are then kept in TGAs folder.
    And as for uploading files, here's where you do it:
    PBM uploads
    Remember that it's for PBM purposes only.

Regards,
    EC

Excellent I think I can handle that. When do we start? I've been practicing with the Poles since last night. I'm playing Expert/Early at the moment.

Ok since we've got a few players I'll start it tonite (15/02/2004) and email it on to east....if we run outta players...we'll all try and have a 2nd go ..ok?

The Reign of King Wladyslaw I

The King shifted uneasily in his chair, although his reign has so far been peaceful, he saw troublesome times were ahead.

Whats our financial situation? he barked at the chancellor.
    We have the money sir to expand, but we've upgraded Poland to almost full extent sir.
    Well, what about Silesia then?
    Excellency, Silesia is called the forgotten land by it's people, we have a token garrison there and no permeanent fort
    King Wladyslaw sowre, the HRE was becoming more and more arrogant and reports he recieved earlier stated the build up of German troops along the border.
    Mover half the garrison here into Silesia and order the building of a fort immediately. he shoute at the poor man.
    Of course my liege, is there anything else?
    See if the peasents can be persuaded to work any harder or if we can take more income from the land

The years passed and everythnig was at peace, the king recieved regualr reports from his daughter who was in Moldovia sampling the fine seafood produced there. One day he called the chancellor into the room.

Ah, here you are, please bear with me a second, I have a emmisary from the HRE awaiting me.
    Of course sir, i have a word from your daughter
    When the king came back out he was smiling and unusually happy.
    What is it my lord?
    Ah, I have managed to secure an alliance with our neighbours the HRE With this the King turned to go but the chancellor stopped him.
    Ahem SIR, I have important news from Moldovia.
    Fine then, make it quick, I am to see the Sicilian Princess later on today.
    The chancellor extracted a letter from his pocket and thus bean to read.
    Dear Papa
    There is something which I feel the need to tell you, Moldovia is rich in it's imports from the sea and I, over my time here have managed to determine the garrison here. It was to my surprise that I only counted 100 professional soldiers, all armed with the most rudimentary of weapons. For the good of Poland it may be neccesary to take this province.
    Your loving daughter Maria

The king's face lit up, he like nothing better than a good battle and from his youth he etained the skills of a warrior. So he led an army of archers, woodsmen and horse archers into Moldovia. The enemy say the advancing Polish army and fled into a neighbouring province.

The rest of his reign Wladyslaw spent hoarding a small fortune for his first son and heir Prince Wladyslaw. Moldovia was secure after a rebellion scare and Silesia was flourishing, with a income to match Poland's. The rebels to the north and south had not dared attacked after they saw what happened in Moldovia when a small rebel army tried to attack.
    And so Poland was secure on the world stage, ready to stake it's place in history

(Original bit)

Ok, i've done my bit......my king died at the ususal age.
    But in the few years i was actually on the throne I managed the following :

*Made Silesia into a basic fort province (not much more than fort, farms and watchtowers though I couldn't really afford much more unless I plugged into the florin reserves which i didnt really want to do ). Appointed best govenors I could find (both have around 3-4 Quills)

*Invaded Moldovia without a fight (and secured it to a certain extent, but watch the tax rates.) This'll give us a vital port province where we mioght be able to make some money from trade. (did this so that we'd also start making the GA goals and aslo cut off Hungary from the rebel land between us and Russia)

*We are now allies with England (married off princess) Germany (very neccesary) Sicily (princess married to current king) Egypt (we need all the allies we can get)

*I have stabilised the economy- we're now making around 500-600 every year. Upgraded farmland to 60% in Polans and in silesia to 40% with 60% still building, also managed to raise farmland to 20% in Moldovia.

There is still a heck of a lot of things to do e.g. builing up poland and getting rid of the troublesome rebels near us but we're in okayish shape. The Heir has terrible stats thouh ONLY 1 Command

The file I've uploaded is called The Polish 1098 PBEM.rar if you would like me to zip it instead please post and tell me to do you. A copy is being sent to eastside as I type so I wish him luck and prosperity in his reign.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

While I cannot participate with this, I will keep an eye on this campaign... It will be good to see how this will progress.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Ok...i've finally got a map to post now

Chimp your going to have to take me off the first round. Starting today @ 4pm I'll be working double shifts until next tuesday. We had a couple people go out at work. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if anything changes in the next couple of days I'll email you.

Ok sure thing, you'll just have another go later on ok?

Ok thanks Chimpyang. I could probably get in on Thursday or Friday after everyone else has had a go. I'll at least have until 4pm both those days to play. I am at work right now and unfortunately all attepmts at getting MTW to work on any of our work computers has failed.

What kind of work do you do that you can play MTW at the office I am so very jealous

Hi
    I would like to join this Polish PBM also, if it's not too late.
    I have MTW 1.1(is that ok or i must have VI ver.???)
    e-mail: hincubator AT yahoo DOT com

One thing i didn't understand reading rules of this campaign, how to role-play king according to his vices & virtues.

And also how do you determine lifespan of first king before start of campaign.

Ok..
    First of all Hi and welcome to the .ORG Buka.
    MTW 1.1 is just fine for playing this one, unlike the VI ones
    And to explain the Role Playing ting, if your Kings has a V&V of Great Builder then your actions withing the game must try and reflect this, or if he is a Greeat Warrior, it's sorto f expected that he joins in the fray whenever possible right?

We can't actually determine the lifespan of a certain king but there is a known bug in MTW 1.1 thats been ironed out in Vi that the King always dies at 56 if not earlier. For my reign (the first one) I don't actually know when he took up the throne so I just say that his reign begins as the campaign does.. It makes life a lot easier I might look it up if i have some spare time though....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast