Thread: WM / NoDachi main difference ?

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

What is the main difference between
    Warrior monks and NoDachi samurais
    (exept the cost 400/500 koku ) ?

In wich situations should I use them ?

------------------
    What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

Nodachi and WM have same attack values and the same moral bonuses. The armor of the no dachi is weaker (against missile they die faster than many units including monks) and also their hand to hand defense value is worst than monks. So in a direct confrontation with a WM unit of the same level, No Dachi will loose.

No Dachi are faster though so they are good for flanking maneouvers. No dachi die fast because of its poor defense value but kill fast too. Just dont committ them as main assault shock troop but for back up in reserve when everybody else is tired or flanking manoeuvers and they will live long enough to help you.

Metha

------------------
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

But the legendary swordman event is needed
    for No-Dachi warriors.
    I have always difficulties to have it.
    And you ?

------------------
    What I hate the most:

And wich unit is better against cavalry
    (and expecially heavy cavalry) ?

Note : When I use WM I have serious
    difficulties vs HC (thats normal).
    Is the Nodachi better vs cav ?

------------------
    What I hate the most:

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Under normal conditions ,Hc are very effective against Nodachi.
    When ever we talk about unit v unit.It should always be remembered that other factors come into it.
    Flank attacks;weather,how tired the men are ,etc.
    That's it.

And between these two units,
    wich is the most used ?

------------------
    What I hate the most:

For the Legendary Swordsmen, it depends. Just keep fighting. Sometimes it takes me 8 years, other times less than one. Once, I got it Summer 1530. Just fight your heart out.

In my opinion, if you assume standard conditions, WM will outperform ND against HC...

Personally, I figure you just shoot them all.

That's my two koku!
    Ashigaru Proletariat of Japan, UNITE!

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I have found that ANY cav unit will have a field day versus no dachis when one on one. Thus it is critical that they be chaperoned while in the field of battle.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Now that I'm improving my micro-management, I much prefer No-Dachi to monks. They are faster (only slightly) and have a higher attacking power. They are also substantially cheaper, thus allowing you to boost their honour.

Certainly they require protection and IMO should never be used in a head-to-head against another units (except Ashigaru maybe) or in any other situation where they will come under prolonged attack. But as flanking units, No-Dachi are second to none, particularly considering the price.

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

no-dachi r great and r very useful 4 flank-charging but vs monks they don't stand a chance. In my experiance no-dachi r better protected vs missile fire particually as monks get tottaly decimated vs CA but 4 casualties per volley DAMM I LOVE CA!
    O4B / Masked

The official party line here:

No-Dachi and WM are "assault" troops. These are effective against spearmen, but get decimated by cavalry. Spearmen, on the other hand, are effective against cavalry, but get decimated by assaulters. Paper-scissors-stone and so on.

The Legendary Swordsman event occurs when one *single* warrior in your armies has enough kills. The best way to achieve this is to set a powerful unit alone against more numerous but individually poorer enemies, preferably in a location where your unit will take few casualties (so the legendary guy doesn't get killed before the end of the battle). Defending on a bridge is one good way to achieve this. There are others.

Another method, favored by some, is to auto-resolve easy battles (like castle assaults using overwhelming force). You'll get the 'Event in no time (by what I've heard, that is), but some people consider this cheating.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

No Dachi can't stand up to Cavalry, so WM are the better call if you din't have any Yari around.

As has been stated, No Dachi are best on the flanks or against Yari. Slogging up the middle will only get you depleted units, or worse routing troops!

BTW ND and WM are exactly the same speed!

And lastly, the Legendary Swordsman event occurs when a samurai has raised his honor two above his starting point, thus the quick win and auto-resolve the castle seige works well for triggering the event

Now that I've written all this I'll have to actually do what I recommend But you guys know how it is, when there's a battle going on it's so tempting to throw the nearest unit at the problem rather than the right unit.
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

In an ideal world I wouldn't send either WM or ND against cavalry, and certainly wouldn't let YC or HC charge any of my assault troops. In emergencies WM can be used against cavalry, but only because they will hold out longer than ND. Depending on honour and circumstances they may need support.

If you are having trouble killing cavalry then deploy a couple of yari units to intercept them. Even ashigaru (100 koku) can take apart a unit of heavy cavalry (600 koku) if kept in tight formation. Assault troops are not designed to kill cavalry (scissors-paper-stone again).

The most important point to remember about combat: honour is crucial.

On a personal level I prefer No-dachi, but only because monks are the best unit in the game. Perverse maybe, but I would rather win with ND than with WM.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

I agree- after walking through the campaign with all monks (with armor and weapon upgrades, and honor bonuses from the temples) I decided Monks are "too" good. I like to use a unit or two just in case I attack without sending a spy into a province first, but like others here I like YA/ND/Teppo combos

Oops- I mean YS, not YA- although YA have their uses

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

I love No-Dachi,I use them like fire and forget missiles.I set them in wedge formation and fire.12 missiles slam into the enemy,followed by volleys of gun fire can cause a sudden rout,ecspecially if one of my missiles hit a Taisho.I may take a few missles out and add three Yari Cavalry for flanking and Anti-cavalry work.I'v beat the comp with this combo,so it does work.All you have to renember is you need more melee then guns,it dosen't take to much teppo to make a enemy run.Once a units on the run,put the YC on their heels to make sure they don't come back.

It's my fav combo,though it's risky.If the enemy dosen't run,I'm left with nothing to defend my 4 poor lil teppos and I doubt the YC will stand long against YS or anything that may be left.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Tang Dualism can bo overcome.With sufficent enlightment,we can give substance to any distinction:Mind without body,north without south,pleasure without pain.Renember,enlightment is a function of will power,not of physical strength."-Shang-ji Yang,essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

I have seen a lot of No Dachi warriors
    on-line...
    In fact, the Teppo/NoDachi combo seems to
    be very used. Am I right ?

------------------
    What I hate the most:

I find that if I kill an enemy Daimyo in the field I almost always get a legendary swordsman event the next turn.

------------------
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.