Thread: Need Help - Historical Campaigns in WE

I've been going through the Historical Campaigns for the Warlord Edition, and right now I'm stuck at two missions. I don't recall what their names are, but in one of them I am fighting against the Takeda, and I only have Yari Samurai and two units of Naginata (with the exception of the small Heavy Cavalry unit with the Taisho). Almost half of my army is on the other side of the map, while the rest is right next to a whole crapload of cavalry and YA. The mission requires that I destroy my opposition, and I have found it to be impossible. I have tried driving my infantry into the cavalry, only to find that there are 4-5 cavalry units coming from the right, and they get there before my reinforcements from the other side of the map can arrive. I have tried holding the two major forces (the immediate threat at the front and the incoming one from the right) with two-three infantry units, while pulling back everything else and trying to consolidate all of my units (reinforcements included). I have tried just about everything, and nothing seems to work. The best result I've had is having all my men killed, with the enemy having several cavalry units and a few YA units left over. It's pretty damn annoying, and impossible for me to beat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also having trouble beaing the third mission of the last campaign. This is the mission where you are supposed to kill/rout all the units in a castle, along with three Heavy Cavalry units that are outside the castle (but coming in strong). I have only been able to get the units inside the castle to come out by drawing them with my Samurai Archers; but even then I end up losing all of my men (how the hell are you supposed to end up with 100 men afterwards to take the castle?). My major problem is with the Kensai units. The damn enemy gets two units of four Kensai to run around with. Every time my men seem to be getting the edge, the AI sends the Kensai in to kill all of my men. It's pretty damn frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Kensai kill everything I throw at them, with the exception of the Heavy Cavalry units, which get torn up in the process (and half the time, my Taisho dies in the action).

Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Inquisitor, I am not sure which battles do you mean, but I'll try to do my best.

The first, given the difficulty of that battle, should be the one when you have 3SA and 1 YA on the left, 1 Nag.cav, 2YC and your ND taisho in the middle and a hell lot of YS,YA on the right quite far away from the rest. I cannot remember to any HC unit, if there is any then I am talking about a different battle. The enemy has 4 or 5 YC on the right, 2 Bninja in the middle behind your lines and there is 1 musk and some YS coming. Now, in this battle:
    1) Charge the enemy cavs with your YA!
    2) Sacrifice 1 SA to withhold the rest if necessary.
    3) Pull back the remaning two SA.
    4) Help the YA with all of your YC and YA.
    5) Try to ignore the Bninjas, shoot them with your archers and charge them with your Nag.cav if necessary.

Ignore the Kensai in the second battle! You don't have to kill all the enemy. Just sneak 100 men into the castle.

PS. It would be nice to be able to see those threads in the strategy archive that give hints about historic battles.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Hmm... I'll see what I can do about sneaking in the 100 YC to the castle. I was under the impression that I had to kill/rout the enemy as well, but if it works, I'll do it, hehe. And I think we're talking about different battles. I don't have any NC or YA in this battle. I have two ND, two YS, three YC (two 60 & one 100), two HC (one with Taisho), and three SA.

Thanks for the reply!

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

I know of the second battle you talk about Inquisitor. It is Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

You have your cavalry away from the castle facing the muskets.

The enemy HC charge into you at unbelievable pace. The problem is you have to make ur units all run away from the castle to where your taisho is. Then kill the muskets. That done the enemy have no fire power and start to move out of the castle. Send one in tact unit round the outside of the walls of the castle(the long way) around to the open gates. The enemy should leave that unit alone and then move against your army. It is then just a simple fight. Your unit will then hopefully get inside the castle and then tis easy.

The only one that can really defeat you is time. He is your enemy and so defeat him to win.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Sounds like that would work... Although I naturally assumed that the AI would be content to sit in the castle if I didn't attack or leave a SA unit out there for it to decimate... At any rate, thanks for the help! Do you know how I can get past the first scenario I was talking about?

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Sorry Inquisitor, but I need to know the names of the battle, and who's campaign it is.

I would go find it out myself...but im so bloody lazy I can't be bothered.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar

The first mission I was talking about is:

Tokugawa Ieyasu - Mikata Ga Hara (the third mission in the campaign)

I know how to do that one because I was stuck on it for ages to! I found the easiest way to do it was to use the army that starts right next to the enemy to attack them (dont worry you will probably lose this fight but your reinforcements will rout them easily) and run your taisho up behind your reinforcements. The hardest bit now is to take out the cavalry on the hill. To do this you just use the guys in the forest (make them all attack different units) and then it will just become a small rabble which will in time rout the enemy. This worked for me first time I tried it and I hope it works for you to.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

I must confess that I never got to the third battle because everytime I tried to play the second battle with the castle where u have to attack the castle and are attacked from behind aswell it crashes to desktop.

Sorry I cannot help but looks like you have an answer there. Good luck!

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar

The Tokugawa Ieyasu v Takeda Mitaka Ga Hara battle is a tough one indeed. Took me ages to figure out how to win it and then I only did it by the skin of ny teeth. On entering the battlefield I selected all of the units which are close to the main enemy cavalry units and put them on a quick march across the map to the trees below the wood with your hidden YA. The Takeda cavalry will pursue and engage some straggling units but don't let that delay your march to the trees. Once your daimyo reaches the trees bring the hidden YA units out of the wood above to form up with your daimyo in the trees below. The tree cover will stop the archer cavalry getting at you easily and will prevent charges by the enemy. Sit tight in the woods and put your YA units into wedge formation. As individual enemy units head towards the woods where you are concealed send single YA units to meet them one at a time. Make sure your diamyo is out of the fray at the back of the wood and well protected. With a bit of luck this should hold the cavalry units at bay and you wil probably get to kill Takeda at some point which will lower enemy morale. Once the enemy units start to break and run - chase them down. It won't be a spectacular victory as you will probably come out of it with less than 100 men - but you still get to live and fight another day.......hope that is of some use.

Toda - that crash to desktop problem is directly linked to the patches - get rid of the patches and you can play all of the historical campaigns without a hitch. I got rid of both patches, but someone on the main STW tech forum suggested the crash was intorduced with patch 1.02. If you don't mind losing the patches give it a go.....

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Thanx mate will see what I can do.

------------------
    He is the Messiah
    No i'm not the Messiah
    Only the true Messiah would deny it.
    Alright then I am the Messiah.
    HE IS THE MESSIAH HOORAY!!!