Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding New Faction in VI guide

King of Macedon Member themonkey's Avatar
    I'm in jail, they said I need a ugly bloke to bail me,how long will you be?

The Whole campaign does not appear,Well I was going to do it again any way as if you read
    My Update in the Help with Ireland Mod topic my Good
    PC had got a fault

But now I have fixed it (XP REINSTALLED)
    and I plan to download all my tools

So basically i'm starting the mod again and this time I've got 2 HDD

Macedon: Total War
    A modification for Rome : Total War

Macedon total War needs your help!,send me a PM if you want to help in any way!

Campiagn Map makers especially!

Hey, Starkhorn, I was wondering if you could help me. I used your guide to making a new faction (absolutely awesome by the way) and I ran into trouble near the end where I am supposed to copy some folders in the Textures/Men directory and rename them Custom0-Custom6. I did this and everthing else in that section of the guide. But I still CTD, I am wondering if I was supposed to paste the new folders(Custom0-Custom6) in a new spot?(I left mine in Textures/Men)
    When the Pope takes over half of Christian Europe in a malicious war-mongering campaign, you know that it is time to take it easy on the modding...

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Assassins_Shadow @ June 28 2004,13:48)]Hey, Starkhorn, I was wondering if you could help me. I used your guide to making a new faction (absolutely awesome by the way) and I ran into trouble near the end where I am supposed to copy some folders in the Textures/Men directory and rename them Custom0-Custom6. I did this and everthing else in that section of the guide. But I still CTD, I am wondering if I was supposed to paste the new folders(Custom0-Custom6) in a new spot?(I left mine in Textures/Men)
    You need to change every instance of the old name in the unit_prod file with the new name i.e. every PlateS becomes Custom6.

BTW, like your sig
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Hi Stakhorn
    Thank you very much for your guide
    Unfortunately i don't have Viking invasion.
    But i managed to create my faction, only modifying the Aragonese one...
    BUT How can i edit the names of my faction and his kings in Medieval TW?
    I don't think that my faction meets well spanish names....
    Thanks

Fredderik,

You need to update your default_heroes.txt.
    Have a read of section 3.2.15 in the guide where I've attempted to explain it, it should be virtually the same between MTW and VI, although of course there will be newer entries in the VI version.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Ok
    Thank you very much Stakhorn....But where can i update my default_heroes.txt?
    I'm italian and we only have patch 1.1.
    Actually in my Medieval total war directory i don't have any default_heroes.txt.
    Thanks for the help

I have an idea
    If default_heroes.txt is not too big, you can send it to me by e-mai...Then i'll try to put it into my loc/ITA directory.
    If it works...I would be lucky
    My mail: valarfed@inwind.it
    I'm sorry for being soo boring...But i want to see my names

Question

hey Starkhorn
    1st of all, i'd like to say thanx for your efforts and congrats on a great guide

i went through this guide and made a new faction, loads and everything, i messed something up and cannot figure out how though,
    i made a kickass king in an impoverished wallachia for early...
    he shows up as
    King blah I
    age 37
    married royal
    Influence: 4
    Piety: 9
    Dread: 9
    Command: 0
    Acumen: 7

this is what i entered...
    SetStartLeader:: FN_FREE21 0 3 1 1 1
    and...
    FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_FREE21 1
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    0, 0, 8, 9, 9, 7, -1, mightywarrior2

i am wondering why the king's command appears as a zero...i am unsure as when i change the 2nd number in famous_kings, the command remains at zero??? i dont get it...i figure its late and i missed something simple.
    any aid out there?

pillage, plunder, burn...

About Colours and shields:
    I modified all themwithout troubles except the ones i see in strategic map.
    What file should i modiofy to see "MY shield" in the men on strategic map (my kings my generals).
    And what file to see "my shield" during the battle on the flag of my general?
    Thank you

Starkhorn, the last section of your guide, the one dealing with the new folders (Custom0-Custom6), is giving me trouble. I did exactly what you said. Renamed the folders and their contents (only .BIF and .LBM files), and I changed every Peasant, ChainHlm, HlPlArSH, etc. to Custom0, Custom1, etc. in the Gnome editor. When I try to fight a battle, however, it says unknown error (0)(00000).

Please help... I'm just some newb who can't figure out what to do.
    When the Pope takes over half of Christian Europe in a malicious war-mongering campaign, you know that it is time to take it easy on the modding...

My previous post wasn't exactly correct, sorry. When ever I try to fight a battle with my new faction the load bar fills up completely, but instead of CTD a message box appears that says "Hard sprites failed to Load" then underneath that it says "Unknown error (0)(000000)" after this is displayed, the campaign map loads back up, on the next year, but there is no evidence the battle ever took place.

Alright, I got my faction up and running, but the game still crashes when I try to play battles. It says Hard-sprites load error (0) (000000). I've gone through and renamed the files that i had to to Custom0, Custom1, etc. Any help as to whats wrong?

ahh the dreaded Failed to load sprites message. :

I've had this many times when starting with mods and every single time it's because I didn't update or re-name the files properly.

Either I had mis-spelt custom, or forgot a file or screwed up when updating the entries with gnome editor.

The only way to solve is to check and double-check and triple check each file, each directory and each entry with gnome editor.

Basically if you are getting that error then you've not renamed the files properly and only you can re-check what you've done.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Sven,

Try putting 7 as the command level which will give you a 8 star general....remember the index starts at 0. I'm not entirely sure why putting 8 down doesn't give you a 9 star general though.

I know though that the rank overflows and goes back to zero once it goes higher than 9.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Fredderik,

Well I wrote the guide for VI so I don't know if things are different in MTW 1.1 so I can't really help too much.

Anyway, section 3.2.15 specifies clearly where the default_heroes.txt is located so please read this section. If it's not there then simply use windows explorer to find it but it should be in campmap/names or at least it's there in the English VI version.

Section 3.2.10 shows how to update the shields for the strategic map. If you aren't seeing that then you've not followed that section properly or something different is needed for MTW 1.1. I've not attempted any modding with MTW 1.1, so I'm not really able to help.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Thanks a lot stark. I'll try that.

Umm, stark, when you say to look through the files to see what I did wrong, which files are u talking about? The CRUSADERS_unit_prod11? The Custom files? The entire directory?

First check that you correctly copied and renamed the directories correctly to custom0, custom1 etc. Then check that you correctly renamed each file in each directory.

Finally check field48 in the crusaders_unit file to ensure you updated each entry correctly. i.e. for each unit that had peasent as the body unit, that you correctly renamed it to custom0, etc

Hope that helps.

cheers
    Starkhorn

ps flint, MI ? So do you personally know Michael Moore ?

Sadly, I don't know Michael Moore (...or maybe that's a good thing), but anyways, I checked all those files and everything looks perfect, but I'm still having the same problem.

YES Nevermind, Stark. I got it working now. I had my files written as Custom_0 etc. I fixed that probelm. Thanks a bunch.

Ok stark, I gotta bother you again. My faction runs perfectly fine, but there's one minor problem that I can't figure out. I created a Muslim faction, and I wanted the king to be called the "Grand Sheik". However, although I entered everything correctly (supposedly?) in the default_faction_specific file, my king ends up with the title "King" and not "Grand Sheik". What did I do wrong this time?

Hi Stakhorn,
    In fact MTW has a lot of differences: There's no default_heroes.txt
    And there's no castleflags directory...
    But i managed out to find the right files...Except the flag we see on our castles in strategic map.
    And i can't find the king's names too.
    But i managed too to play with fun my mod. Obviously it's not perfect with these bugs.
    Your guide was very useful
    Unfortunately i think that VI is better for modding...

Hey stark, i got three problems:
    - my Muslim leader is being called "King" instead of
    Sultan, though I've enetered everything correctly

- my Celtic leader has the name "King Roman Numerals
    #..."

- i'm getting a response when i try to start up a campaign
    game that says "Attempted to place a unit in a region
    owned by a faction with a different cultural origin."

Can you give me some help, please?

Unsure of the first issue as I had something similiar a few months back but I can't remember the solution.

I'll need to see your entries in the SetStartLeader:: line and your famous kings line...

The 3rd issue is because your trying to make an unit which is forbidden to be made for that faction. This could be because of religion, faction or region specific issues which are specified in the unit crusader file

So what units are you trying to place and where and for which faction ?

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Ok, here's what i got, maybe u can sole the King Roman Numerals.... name problem for me:

SetStartLeader:: FN_ALMOHAD 0 5 0 1 1 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 0 7 0 4 7 1 3 10 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_EGYPTIAN 0 4 0 0 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_ENGLISH 0 7 0 2 0 0 2 1 2
    SetStartLeader:: FN_FRENCH 0 5 5 3 1 1 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_GERMAN_HRE 0 7 3 4 2 3 1 1 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_ITALIAN 0 5 2 3 3 0 9
    SetStartLeader:: FN_POLISH 0 4 2 2 1 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_SPANISH 0 4 0 6 2 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_TURKISH 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

SetStartLeader:: FN_HUNGARIAN 0 7 1 1 1 0 1 1 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_NOVGOROD 0 3 0 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_PAPIST 0 8 2 1 8 20 2 1 2 7
    SetStartLeader:: FN_SICILIAN 0 1 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_DANISH 0 7 2 3 1 1 2 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_ARAGONESE 0 3 0 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_BURGUNDIAN 1 4 0 0 0 2
    SetStartLeader:: FN_SWISS 0 3 0 0 1
    SetStartLeader:: FN_FREE21 0 3 0 0 1

//name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    2, 6, 4, 3, 5, 3, -1, attacker3
    5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, -1, attacker3

The line below is wrong:-

as you have 2 entries then you need to specify a 2 after the faction name i.e

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_FREE21 2

try that and let us know.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Oh darn, ure right, I didnt see that. Ill try it and see what happens.

Sorry stark, but that didn't work.... all the kings in the game have their names messed up.

My game says this "King_Title##21 This label does not exist"
    Got any solutions?

Have you set-up your forenames and surnames correctly ? What have you got as your set forenames and set surnames lines ?

I changed my default_heroes,txt and startpos to match your exactly and I had gotten the same problem as you. My solution was to change the 1 to a 2 and then my kings name appeared correctly so you've got something else wrong. Suggest you recheck everything again with a fine tooth comb.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast