Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding New Faction in VI guide

Hmmmm, one problem to the next

Alright, I haven't solved the king name problem yet, tho here's what I have:

SET_FORENAMES:: FN_FREE21 10 6
    SET_SURNAMES:: FN_FREE21 7

But now I have another problem thats bugging me even more.~

I created several units for my faction (copying existing units but changing their names and stats). However, my campaign will not run these units. They'll only appear if i set them as the Faction Leader's unit. But there can only be one unit used as the faction leader so several of my units are left out. They function perfectly fine because I've tested them all as the king's unit, but they won't show up in my campaign otherwise. Even when I set the "MakeUnit:: " to include these units in my provinces initially, my campaign will disappear from the list. Got any ideas as to how to solve this, stark? Sorry I'm bugging you so much, but you've been a big help thus far.

Ok stark, I figured out that unit problem so don't worry about it. However, I still got that king deally troubling me.

Starkhorn,

I don't seem to be able to download or find your guide anywhere, anychance you could give me a heads up?

thank you

fenir
    Time is but a basis for measuring Susscess. Fenir Nov 2002.

Mr R.T.Smith > So you going to Charge in the Brisbane Office with your knights?.....then what?
    fenir > hmmmm .....Kill them, kill them all.......let sega sort them out.

Well thats it, 6 years at university, 2 degrees and 1 post grad diploma later OMG! I am so Anal!
    I should have been a proctologist! Not an Accountant......hmmmmm maybe some cross over there?

thanx stark...
    i figured out that last problem on my own, just got all mixed up with those faction leader numbers and such, oh so tricky...
    now i'm tackling the swiss faction unit leader thing, as it got all messed up with me, now the game won't recognize swiss armoured pikemen, oh well, i stuck that in a different thread as to not really crowd this one with my screwup...
    take care everyone

pillage, plunder, burn...

by the way starkhorn, i fu wanted to use your guide to add say 2 more factions, well after the 1st one worked, how many of those facShields and colors can be used like the ones used for the Picts...which ones?
    and how would u # something in Names.txt if u wanted to make a whole new list of names?

newagebassist20,

Ok try something like

SetStartLeader:: FN_FREE21 0 0

I can't quite decide whether its your default heroes file or the default faction file. The King_Title suggests it doesn't know the title of your leader and it's not the name. Recheck all the entries you made for the name of u leader in section 3.2.1. It's very, very easy to make a mistake here.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Fenir,

I've updated the link on page 1. Try it now.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Sven,

I can't seem to find your other post so can you post the link here or the problem and if I can help then I will.

I'm unaware of any limit on the faction colours or the number of faction shields.

Note since writing that guide, a tool called the faction colour tool has been written by someone so you might want to look at that this tool when deciding your faction colour.
    It's in the orgs download section I believe ?

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Alrighty stark, I got my king's name to work out fine now... tho he's still called King and not Sultan, but I guess that'll do for now. Thanks alot once again, I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you soon enough.

hey starkhorn
    this is the link to the post, and the odd problems i was having,
    contemplating just starting over and making a whole new faction mod

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/foru...ST;f=5;t=20275

Thank you Starkhorn,

fenir
    Time is but a basis for measuring Susscess. Fenir Nov 2002.

Mr R.T.Smith > So you going to Charge in the Brisbane Office with your knights?.....then what?
    fenir > hmmmm .....Kill them, kill them all.......let sega sort them out.

Well thats it, 6 years at university, 2 degrees and 1 post grad diploma later OMG! I am so Anal!
    I should have been a proctologist! Not an Accountant......hmmmmm maybe some cross over there?

Folks,

Just to let you know that there is a new version of the guide v1.1.

There isn't alot new or different to be honest. Corrected some mistakes. Changed it so I make people check each change after they make etc.

The biggest change is a fairly simply one. Instead of editing the unit or building files or heroes files directly, I show a way to make a copy of your own file for each mod. That way your normal EARLY, HIGH and LATE campaigns won't be affected.

Anyway have fun.

Cheeers
    Starkhorn

hey starkhorne,
    what's up?
    tried your spacing solution, same results...but i posted all i found out by messing with it in that other thread,

Brilliant.This faq made it much easier for me tomod the gameand i dont have the problem with CTD at battles because i use all new troops for my new faction and dont allow them to train the any from the 6 problem folders associated with faceplates.Excellent work senor.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

anyone else made a new faction with this guide, and all is well, except which unit is your faction leader???
    stumbled with that one...

Hi HUN.I have found that using the Gnome Editor i have been able to edit the Crus_Unit_Prod11.Go to the unit you wish to use as your leader.Scroll along that line to column 49 and if you wish that to be your faction leader then enter in "FN_FREE21" in that section.If however you modded an existing faction then you simply enter in the name of the faction "FN_ENGLISH".Hope that helped because i'm stuck on the names part.ALL MY KINGS are named KING V and KING II and so forth.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Default Re: Adding New Faction in VI guide

Hi,

I tried to get a copy of the guide to adding new factions by clicking on the link in the initial post for this thread, but this took me to a page that reads "No input file specified." Is these a new link to the guide?

that link doesn't seem to work and id like to use
    will it be up again soon??
    On Multi Player, rik_lionheart, play me sometime!

Unhappy Re: Adding New Faction in VI guide

yes...link doesnt work for me either and my old files are trashed, so i cant find the guide either...oh well, i'll keep looking around
    stark will know what to do

Starkhorn's guide can be downloaded here for now:

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mt...tion_guide.pdf

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

The Pale Horseman Member Galagros's Avatar

Okay, before I even start let it be known that this is my first attempt at modding any part of MTW.

That being said, I have just completed 3.2.12 of the guide and have ran into difficulties. I went to start up the game and see if everything was good so far. but the game wouldn't start up. I had to ctrl+alt+del and end the program because it wasn't responding. I shrugged and tried it again ... to no avail. So I restarted and tried once more only to get the same result.

I'm reasonably sure that something I did between 3.2.2 and 3.2.12 is causing this because I was stumped at the end of 3.2.1 for a while when it says you should see your faction available in the campaign until I read some things in this thread. I started the game up fine many times.

Any and all help will be much appreciated.
    Favorite Authors (At the Moment)
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

To be a little more informative, I'm now certain it was something I caused while attempting the mod because my backup version of MTW works perfect. Also, after I put in the game and hit "Play Viking Invasion" two programs start up; Medieval_TW.exe and ~f39a36.tmp. Happen to know if the second is supposed to?
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

He Who Must Have More Mods Member Gray's Avatar

It seems the link isnt working. :(
    Just when I started thinking about some modding...
    "Never interuppet an enemy when he is making a mistake" ; Napoleon Bouneparte

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

Muwahahaha, I just wanted to stop and say Thank You Starkhorn. Because of you I have proven that I am a smart monkey, albeit a slow one. I decided a week ago that I wanted to mod the game to add a faction that I wished MTW had. Well, since I never dabbled with it before I headed over here to garner advice from the masters, where I saw this thread. I hunted down a copy (wich was extremely hard, it seems most of the links are dead or something) of your tutorial and started trying to build my dream faction.

Well, I failed miserably on the first try, and the second, and the third for that matter. Then I decided to swallow what was left of my pride and follow the instructions to the letter. A mere 2 hours and 20 min later, and a little troubleshooting on my part, and I have my (or should I say yours?) very own Dutch Faction. Tee hehehee.

Anyways it is a very nice faction although I used it just long enough to get a feel for modding. So thank you starkhorn and all of you other vetran modders who have taken time out to help us poor lost souls, and newbie modders. Here's one on me.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Member Member Crusader4thepeople's Avatar

Ok a couple of questions

When looking at the campmap/startpos files for XL and BKB Super Mod, i found that there were no FN_FREE21, but instead FN_(Faction Name)

Is it possible to make REL_JEWISH JEWISH_CULTURE for a Jewish Faction

And if i make multiple Eras, do i need to make a FREE_(number i havnt used yet) or can i use FN_FREE21?

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Starkhorn's v1.1 of the guide? The version available in the original post link is the only one I can find; and is the original draft version 1.0 which has some errors which he fixed in the later version.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-...uide_v1.1.zip#

Heh, I've been looking for it for a loooong time.
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

Sorry to double post, but I hope someone can answer this...

I'm on section 4.2.14 - SetShieldImage and something is wrong. Before I started that section everything was running smoothly, but now the game won't start run. Instead the program doesn't respond when I go to start it up. I've checked everything I've done at least 6 times now and I did everything exactly as the guide said. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Galagros, modding is a hair-losing experience, isnt it?

Make sure you're not falling victim to the faceshield bug. It's the one caused by not doing the copying of the PlateCav, Peasant etc, folders to Custom0 - Custom6, etc. and making the corresponding changes in the units.txt file.

Other than that, go back to where you were before the problems started, get it working at that point and then make one change at a time. This will help you narrow down the possibilities of where the problem occured. Typos are almost always the culprit, especially when the changes are made in the buildings and unit text files, since they are formatted so crazily.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Thanks, I'll try that out next time I go for adding a new faction.
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast