Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: BKB Super Mod

If you want to be historically accurate, Klibanophoroi should not be used after the battle of Manzikert in 1071, so they should only be available in early.

Early begins in 1087 (I think). There is link to forum about this. http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=15877

It would probably be ok to make them available in early, since it probably look a little while before they were completely phased out.

A good lineup for the Byzantines would be:

Stratiotoi (Byzantine Lancers)
    Trapezitoi (as Spanish Jinetes)
    Skutatoi (Byzantine Infantry)
    Peltastoi (as Skutatoi, padded Bambakion armor, round Theuros Shield, spear & javelin)
    Psiloi (Trebizond archers)
    Kavallarioi (Byzantine Cavalry)

plus the assorted mercenaries.

I agree with Stratiotai, Psiloiand Skutatoi, but can't with Peltastoi (those were men with special shield throwing spears, but in greek armies not in byzantine, I think). I don't know Trapezitoi and Kavallarioi. There is forum about this http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=15040

BKB,
    I've got an idea about military academy. It seem that this building is pretty useless (except turks of course).
    This idea is, that after construction of this building you could be able to train generals. It would be small unit probably mounted on horseback useless for combat but with high speed (12,24,26 or something like this) and command. What do you thing. Terrible prerequisites, long creation time, high cost, useless in combat but with high command.

Byzantine Peltastoi were not the same as ancient Greek Peltastoi. I believe they were an economic measure. They were Byzantiums Medium infantry.

Do a search on Byzantine Peltastoi (or Peltasts), you should find something.

from the post you linked to:

So, the Byzantine Infantry belongs in this classification, doesn't it?

skutatoi would be more like the (armoured) Byzantine Infantry of the game, although with the addition of a spear, rather than just a sword.
    the more common, lower-level, unarmoured byzantine infantry would be more like the Round-shield Spearmen of the game (for spear soldiers) and like the Trebizond Archers (for archers). they also had some light infantry with javelins and small axes.

however, as rosacrux pointed out, the names of the units described different kinds of soldiers from time to time.

End Quote

The unarmored round shield spearmen are Peltastoi.

May I ask for your sources of informations. Web pages please.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I can't open the thing with either of the links. BKB's, when I try and unzipp it, it says it's corrupted
    Oh, and I have no idea what the hell a Rar is.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Lord, Cartographer and Poet. Member King Azzole's Avatar

download winrar steppe. Do a google. It will unzip it for ya
    Charge, repeat as necessary.

Thank you thank you thank youu I figured out. Geeze, I was flipping out there for a bit

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

No problemo Yeah i was having a problem with the ZIP myself but the RAR worked.

OK my comments so far BKB:

Shamans ROCK Good work and good description Very professional.

Cumin Warriors are well balanced. I put them against a group of 200 byzantine warriors first, and the cumins lost but took roughly 100 byzantines with them. Good balance between bows and swordplay. I then placed them against Fuedal menatarms and the fuedals won of course, with 45 remaining. All in all a very well balanced and needed Cumin unit.

A few gripes now. I noticed assassins still cant be trained by the cumins. I assume spies cannot either. Any reason for this? Otherwise shrines work now, gonna be lots of fun Once you name the kings Khans instead of King and possibly rework noble titles Duke of ... doesnt seem right for cumins. Perhaps Lord of ... or even Khan of ... would be much better than Duke.

BKB full marks on the shaman. I just downloaded your patch to see it( i havent got mtw yet).When i heard you were going to make one, i was a bit sceptical, but it looks fantastic, i can't wait till i get the game next week, so i can see it in action, because of course i will be getting your mod straight away, as i hear you are one of the best modders around. keep it up.

How about gicing the cumins some sort of field shaman, possibly some sort of berserker unit. it could work.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SpetzNatz @ April 07 2004,11:15)]May I ask for your sources of informations. Web pages please.
    SpetzNatz,

These are some of the books I own concerning the Byzantines:

Maurice's Strategikon

The Byzantium series by John Julius Norwich
    Vol.1 - Byzantium: The Early Centuries
    Vol.2 - Byzantium: The Apogee
    Vol.3 - Byzantium: The Decline and Fall

Byzantium and its Army 284 - 1081

Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th - 9th Centuries
    Byzantine Armies 886 - 1118
    Byzantine Armies 1118 - 1461

I prefer books, rather than the web.

King Azzole & BKB,
    I believe Tudun would be an appropriate governors title for the Cumans.

Ruler = Khan
    Regional Governor = Tudun
    General = Tarkhan

This title should more appropriately be used for the Avars and Khazars.

Beg is also another option, this is the same as an Ottoman Bey.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Thanks for all the info and feedback. I will probably make a few more agents and make paganism a little stronger in the game. I will change cuman king to khan and give them the agents they are missing.

Sorry about the win zip version- i'm waiting for tosa to combine it.

I'd love to see some new screen shots

I'll try to post some over the weekend

Quote[/b] (The Blind King of Bohemia @ April 07 2004,14:41)]Thanks for all the info and feedback. I will probably make a few more agents and make paganism a little stronger in the game. I will change cuman king to khan and give them the agents they are missing.

Sorry about the win zip version- i'm waiting for tosa to combine it.
    One thing I noticed I didnt like about the pagan shrines. It seems they spread paganism rapidly in adjacent provinces. Poland and Hungary were within 20-30 years 50% pagan And i only had a small shrine in the adjacent provence. Is there a way to make paganism not effect adjacent provinces? That would be much more realistic and fun

That could be due to the Pagan shamans they really spread the paganism I'll see what i can do about that

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Those shamans ROCK One pass in constantinople and I had 10% of my Greeks praying to Odin Byzantine Empire is having MAJOR problems with the aggressive west, while the turks are far more passive. The Croats are very powerful, very agressive, and I am still amazed by the potential of these croat light cavalry.

Byzantines can get only alliances with other orthodoxians? Good job on that

Croats: Balkan warbands (IMHO best unit of the game), Croat light cavalry (second best unit of the game), über generals ( seven star king??) and a nice starting position between weak Hungary, even weaker Germany, uninterested Venice and the struggling Byz Empire.

Balkan warbands are overpowered. Im sorry, but getting these very good spearmen, or better, heavy halberdiers, for a spearmakersworkshop is powerful. The Croats recruit them from start
    Croat light cavalry is fast, powerful, and well defended. They can easily dispatch other cavalry (even kats as they are very slow), take control of the battlefield and smash anything they want. Well, that's not necessarily bad, but in combination with the balkan warbands they're really effective.
    The biggest problem are the Croat heirs. They've got 6 stars or more, and this gives their units effectively another 3 valour. Of course our Byzantines have that too, but they also have the suckiest starting position of the game, while the Croats are a lot saver.

England was broken again this time. They attacked the French immidiately, were massacred, had a civil war, and then war with the rest of the isles... I hope they'll do better next game.
    Genoese and Venicians are really passive in my games. There is actually almost no struggle on the Italian peninsula at all... But maybe that changes when I play a different faction.
    The battle on Iberia, in Scandinavia and the balkans is really good. Neither side can gain the upper hand, as the most powerful forces (Almoravids and Byzantines) face usually a coalition of all the others. Valencia survives until El Cid dies. His 9 stars save his little kingdom, but his sons cannot keep it up. Spain is quite weak actually, but together with Navarre and Aragon they can hold their own against the Almoravids.
    The Norse, the Danish and the Novgorods are fighting in equal force a battle for the baltic. They're almost equally powerful, as the novgorods can't get up a good navy, while the Scandinavians can't get up an equal land force.
    Cumans are doing well, as are the other eastern europeans. As no one fights eachother there until the Byz are whiped out it's usually a silent place

Going good, the patch has solved many problems, but haven't dealed with the little overpowered Croats (Im paranoid about them, I know ). Raising the building requirements for certain units should deal with it.
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Hmm, i think i might bring up the requirements for Balkan warband and lower the strengths of the CLC.

Strange about the italians, usually i see genoa attack france and venice attack byzantines

What is that about the byzantines? They can only allie with orthodox factions or do they just choose not to allie with others because that doesn't happen on my game. Did you install everything correctly?

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Well, the byzantines (and all the other orthodoxians) get very easily alliances with other orthodox christians, and rarely alliances with other religions. Not bad tho It just suprised me as it wasn't the case in the original game.

I dont know, I have played the Byzantines, the Almoravids, the Armenians and the Scottish until around 1200, but I haven't seen much Italian battles
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Quote[/b] ]I noticed assassins still cant be trained by the cumins. I assume spies cannot either. Any reason for this?
    Back to this point - it was a plain case of forgetfullness. However, I'm making up for it by not just giving the Pagan's emissaries and spies from Christians but making new agents Wait till you see these guys shifting across the map - the Pagan culture and religion is really becoming worthwhile now.

Excellent news Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve. Im sure the new pagan units can be benefitted from the mongels in super late also.

One note: Its not the shamans that are spreading the paganism. Its the alters. I moved all my shamans away from the adjacent provences and still paganism is rising. It just doesnt seem right to build a shrine and then see adjacent christian states fall to paganism. Although its to my benefit its unrealistic, and detracts from my enjoyment. Id rather earn my paganism.

i finally saw the pagans in action, i put them in stw and i can say the look fantastic. what are you intending to make as the new agents then???
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

I have not had a chance to try either of the updates, but I want to thank you BKB the time and effort you put into these mods is greatly appreciated.

Quote[/b] (Leoghan Ban @ April 08 2004,17:34)]I have not had a chance to try either of the updates, but I want to thank you BKB the time and effort you put into these mods is greatly appreciated.
    here here, i completely agree with you. BKB's mod is definetly up there with Barroca's STW for MTW:VI mod, and also the LOTR mod. IMO this mod is superior to the medmod, but thats just my opinion.(not to take anything away from the guy tho)

BKB, is Super high still due on Easter, or no?

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

hmm nice question m8.
    i do the same question BKB when the mod is going out =PP
    Death is the only true in life

Err, i'll try but i'm actually enjoying playing the game at the moment as england. At war with 5 factions and actally doing well. Just had a fantastic battle with France, beat a force of equal size Cannae style

Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast