Thread: Doing a Warhammer

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Battlefield ninja, sword-saints? Anyone else think STW is going a bit Warhammer. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the Games Workshop tabletop games and some of the computer versions, but I like STW even more. And why? Because it has no gimmicky units (although the monks are a border line case). Strange and extreme units are fine in a fantasy or sci-fi game but I question their place in a more historical war game.

Of course I may be jumping the gun a bit. These features may be incoporated smoothly into the games, but they do concern me a little.

In fact I would like to see the Total War engine applied to a fantasy game like Warhammer. STW combat is what Shadow Of The Horned Rat wanted to be. But the whole point is that it would be a fantasy game with fantasy units, not a historical game with fantasy units.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

[This message has been edited by Slyspy (edited 12-21-2000).]
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

It does worry me a little as well.
    I mean whats next?
    Godzilla attacks Tokyo,koku production halted.
    That's it.

According to Stephen Turnbull in one of the Honour Day interviews he did, Ninja were in fact used on the battlefield: he in fact specifically stated that he would like to see battlefield Ninja in a patch, which is probably what led them to be included in this expansion pack.

As for Kensai, they certainly did exist. Now, their usefulness as individual units on the battlefield is another matter...
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Well, I suggest we wait and see what it turns out to be in the end.

Historically, ninja's did appear on battlefields.WHether or not they are used realistically in this expansion is yet to be seen.
    The same goes to the sword saints I guess.

Historically they may go a bit overboard here. But Historic accuracy is not the only aspect of this game. These new units will add an extra dimension to gameplay. And that's pretty cool imo.

But, the moment a greater daemon of Slaanesh or a Snotling Pumpwagon appears on the battlefield, yes, I'll start worrying too.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

worrying? i will buy that version to. i always wanted an fantasy version
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Fortunately, it's a patch/add-on, so you can keep to the original if you don't like the new units and such.

I can see it now:
    New Shogun
    Shogun Classic
    Diet Shogun
    Shogun-free Shogun...
    The mind boggles....

-- B)

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

I know that ninja did feature on the battlefield and that kensai did exist but I question their inclusion as battlefield units in the game. How many were there historically? How will they be implemented? After all the least balanced troops in the original are the Warrrior Monks. They did exist, but never in the numbers which you get in an average STW campaign. Will it be the same with ninja units? Did battlefield ninja even operate in units? Will kensai be limited to one per faction, acquired through a special event, or be built ad hoc by everyone? So many questions!. I'll just have to wait to find out I suppose. Just please keep fantasical units restricted to fantasy scenarios.

------------------

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

diet shogun...that's funny.

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to pull the units from Final Liberation or Chaos Gate and plug them into STW.