Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP US NAME THESE NEW FORUMS

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

The topic has been here about a month why wait another week lets put the names submitted thus far to a vote now LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

Sounds like a plan. We can always change the names later, IF people don't like them.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

I agree.

Stop f*****g about guys and just give them names. Anything is better than Edit1/Edit2/Edit3.

If your looking for democratic input for such a basic decision then you may well wait longer than it takes Iraq to achieve the same principles.

Just do it.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Hi Welly,
    seems Tosa is lurking about somewhere,
    no sooner did you post that than the names got changed to temporary ones,

we promise to have the new names selected before the end of 2004
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Thumbs up

LOL

Nice Job. Names sound fine to me
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

I would like to propose that Edit 1 be called The Panopticon. Here's a refresher on the term:

"Bentham's Panopticon is the architectural figure of this composition. We know the principle on which it was based: at the periphery, an annular building; at the centre, a tower; this tower is pierced with wide windows that open onto the inner side of the ring; the peripheric building is divided into cells, each of which extends the whole width of the building; they have two windows, one on the inside, corresponding to the windows of the tower; the other, on the outside, allows the light to cross the cell from one end to the other. All that is needed, then, is to place a supervisor in a central tower and to shut up in each cell a madman, a patient, a condemned man, a worker or a schoolboy. By the effect of backlighting, one can observe from the tower, standing out precisely against the light, the small captive shadows in the cells of the periphery. They are like so many cages, so many small theatres, in which each actor is alone, perfectly individualized and constantly visible. The panoptic mechanism arranges spatial unities that make it possible to see constantly and to recognize immediately. In short, it reverses the principle of the dungeon; or rather of its three functions - to enclose, to deprive of light and to hide - it preserves only the first and eliminates the other two. Full lighting and the eye of a supervisor capture better than darkness, which ultimately protected. Visibility is a trap."

Edit 2 might be called Babel, and this is from "The Library of Babel" by Jorge Luis Borges:

"The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite and perhaps infinite number of hexagonal galleries, with vast air shafts between, surrounded by very low railings. From any of the hexagons one can see, interminably, the upper and lower floors. The distribution of the galleries is invariable. Twenty shelves, five long shelves per side, cover all the sides except two; their height, which is the distance from floor to ceiling, scarcely exceeds that of a normal bookcase. One of the free sides leads to a narrow hallway which opens onto another gallery, identical to the first and to all the rest. To the left and right of the hallway there are two very small closets. In the first, one may sleep standing up; in the other, satisfy one's fecal necessities. Also through here passes a spiral stairway, which sinks abysmally and soars upwards to remote distances. In the hallway there is a mirror which faithfully duplicates all appearances. Men usually infer from this mirror that the Library is not infinite (if it were, why this illusory duplication?); I prefer to dream that its polished surfaces represent and promise the infinite ... Light is provided by some spherical fruit which bear the name of lamps. There are two, transversally placed, in each hexagon. The light they emit is insufficient, incessant."

For Edit 3, Tartarus is a possibility, and here's a fair depiction of that realm:

"Tartarus is the lowest region of the world, as far below earth as earth is from heaven. According to the Greek poet Hesiod, a bronze anvil falling from heaven would take nine days and nights to reach earth, and an object would take the same amount of time to fall from earth into Tartarus. Tartarus is described as a dank, gloomy pit, surrounded by a wall of bronze, and beyond that a three-fold layer of night. Along with Chaos, Earth, and Eros, it is one of the first entities to exist in the universe.
    While Hades is the main realm of the dead in Greek mythology, Tartarus also contains a number of characters. In early stories, it is primarily the prison for defeated gods; the Titans were condemned to Tartarus after losing their battle against the Olympian gods, and the hecatoncheires stood over them as guards at the bronze gates. When Zeus overcomes the monster Typhus, born from Tartarus and Gaia, he hurls it too into the same abyss.

However, in later myths Tartarus becomes a place of punishment for sinners. It resembles Hell and is the opposite of Elysium, the afterlife for the blessed. When the hero Aeneas visits the underworld, he looks into Tartarus and sees the torments inflicted on characters such as the Titans, Tityos, Otus and Ephialtes, and the Lapiths. Rhadymanthus (and, in some versions, his brother Minos) judges the dead and assigns punishment."

GdC

"Kill them all: God will know His own."
    --Simon de Montfort

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

i'd like to thanks everyone for contributing to this topic,
    i do hope we are all happy with the names chosen,
    sorry about not calling a vote, but hey - we probably would have never got around to tallying the results anyway

B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12