Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP US NAME THESE NEW FORUMS

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

we are restructuring the Dungeon,
    adding new cells for all the new prisoners and slaves,
    new chains and shackles for the current crop of prisoners,
    and cleaning things up a little bit, the pile of bones in the corner over there was getting a little extreme...

This is what the three edit forums will be used for,

Edit One
    Main Dungeon Forum
    - for the mods currently in progress,
    general questions and general chatter,

Edit Two
    Secondary Dungeon Forum
    - For all FAQ's and How-To's,
    and where questions, once answered will be moved to,

Edit Three
    basically an archive of old stuff,
    the junk and clutter,
    Old Stale Mods,
    Closed thread's that have been combined into another,
    ie,
    some of the FAQ threads are closed and the information in them has been copied into a "collated" topic, those will be moved to edit3,
    and where old general chatter will be moved

==================================

Now we need to name them

Edit One - proposed name,
    Engineer's Guild - (mods in progress and Q's)

Edit Two - proposed name,
    Engineer's Academy - (for the How-To's and FAQ's)

Edit Three - proposed name,
    Engineer's NoteBook - (for storage purposes, old/stale mods, old news)

Comments??
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

First comment: I like this. The way the org patrons are getting more paticipation.

Second. Suggestions:

Ermm none at the moment. Yours sound good though.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Question

I think we should expand on them a bit though.
    Otherwise it sounds bit too linear ?

I think you should keep the dungeon theme, simply because people are used to it an current posts refer to it.

In keeping with this, I suggest the thrid forum, the junk forum, be named The Oubliette. Not exactly the frightening wit we've come to expect from the giant death lizard of tokyo, but it does make sense, when you think about it.

EEUURAAH.
    Why Yelping Godzilla?
    YG: Post-modernist architecture plus sensitive feet.
    Does that explain your lack of recent rampaging?
    YG: Partly. Remember Tokyo, like Rome, wasn't built in a day. Although the Toho studios were.
    Heh. How many times can Tokyo be destroyed anyway?
    YG: As many times as it takes.
    Oh. Well, what's with all the dam busting?
    YG: -shrug- Gets hot in the suit.
    Uh. Ok. What can we expect in the future?
    YG: To run out of newspaper and chickenwire.

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SeljukSinan @ Aug. 16 2003,17:56)]I think we should expand on them a bit though.
    Otherwise it sounds bit too linear ?
    um, not sure if i understand 100%,
    suggestions?

brain storm a few, doesn't matter how silly they sound,
    they might spark an idea and send someone else off on a tangent which leads to excellent names

what about,
    Interrogation, (edit1)
    Torture Chamber, (edit2)
    The Pit of Despair... (edit3)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Damn, you beat me to "Torture Chamber"

'Interrogation" sounds great for the first one.

How about "Holding cell" for the second one? Or "Solitary Confinement" or as you as mentioned "Torture Chamber"

For the third one I suggest "Bottomless Abyss" or "Bone Room"
    or "Bone Pit" or "Grave yard" or "Skeleton Closet" etc...
    Eppur si muove

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

How about:

The Rack - self explanatory

The Box - jailspeak for solitary confinement,think Papillon

The Bone Yard - where old ideas end up,think Cool Hand Luke

Ask a Corrections Officer about Dungeons.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Well Abyss is cool, Torture Chamber as well
    I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Although modding may be painfull sometimes, I think the different the some names are a bit off. This section of the forums isn't about torturing, it's more about engineering, inventing. The Oubliette however sounds very characterfull and fitting, but is probably an unknown term by many.
    I also thought about the dungeon as a place, deep down the castle, where the Medieval counterparts of geeks and nerds are discussing ways to change the layout of land, plans to overthrow the entire world and perhaps test out the brand new Super Knight 2000.
    Names I was thinking about:
    The Engineers Guild
    The Oubliette
    The Toilet where all good ideas are made

Oh and is it perhaps possible to make these 3 forums accesible from the main forum page. At the moment it's not so accessible. If the story writers get 2 forums accessible from the main page, then surely we would get 3 forums right

In my opinion these changes are counterproductive and are probably going to drop the amount of message posting. As a sysop of a BBS I can tell you that nothing destroys message posting quicker than too many topics. I have learned the hard way that less is more. Additionally people get a 'comfort' level in navigating and they don't adapt well.

I can imagine that some of you are rubbing your hands with glee at the prospect of starting an argument or flame over this. I am not going to debate this with anyone. I am just sharing my experience. Kindly respect it.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

I like The Dungeon for the main, how about "The Catacombs" for edit 2 and, and "The Keep" for the archives edit 3 LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

How about the Armory, black smith?
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

About the second forum with the FAQs and how-to's. Is it for us not possible to post there? If we are I suspect that alot of questions will be posted there since new people don't understand a FAQ and will post a question in the FAQ's thread (which they should).
    And probably some people will ask how to edit their mod in regards to some FAQ or how-to and we will end with two different forums that have more or less the some content which will only add to confusion instead of clearing it.

The third forum seems a bit useless to me. Old mods and threads move to page 20, why make a seperate forum for them?

I would rather see a third forum that deals with finished mods where non-modders can safely venture without being scared by the Star-Trek talk of modders. In this forum there will be topics in which mods are "advertised" with screenshots, links to download, FAQ, installation guide, etc. Hopefully more people will then dare to install a mod since it might seem a bit frightening to some.

Cheers, Duke John

Quote[/b] (Duke John @ Aug. 17 2003,13:30)]About the second forum with the FAQs and how-to's. Is it for us not possible to post there? If we are I suspect that alot of questions will be posted there since new people don't understand a FAQ and will post a question in the FAQ's thread (which they should).
    And probably some people will ask how to edit their mod in regards to some FAQ or how-to and we will end with two different forums that have more or less the some content which will only add to confusion instead of clearing it.

The third forum seems a bit useless to me. Old mods and threads move to page 20, why make a seperate forum for them?

I would rather see a third forum that deals with finished mods where non-modders can safely venture without being scared by the Star-Trek talk of modders. In this forum there will be topics in which mods are "advertised" with screenshots, links to download, FAQ, installation guide, etc. Hopefully more people will then dare to install a mod since it might seem a bit frightening to some.

Cheers, Duke John
    no patron posting into edit2 (FAQ?)
    an interesting idea,
    but i think we'll allow it for the moment, if you are correct and it gets out of hand we will restrict it,

for now the idea is

edit1 is where you ask and answer Q's, advertise mods, explain discoveries, etc.

edit2 is where we keep all the answered questions, how-to's and faq's,
    it should eventually make searching for a scrap of data easier, reduce redundant/duplicate returns on a search,
    PLUS, edit2 gives us somewhere else to pin stickies,

edit3 is is where the moderatos move any really old posts that "may" contain usefull stuff, then we edit them and feed them back into edit2, we have 1100 topics spanning 32 pages, about 80% can probably be deleted as redundant.
    plus we can sticky older mods in edit3, advertising them if you will..

Ideally I'd love to have the time to take the FAQ and all the Q&A's and "translate" them all to html pages,
    but thats the kicker, i don't have the time, i have done some but real life is kinda busy lately...
    If anyone wants to volunteer i can send them a master html file and instructions, but 90% of the work is cut and pasting.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote[/b] ]Ideally I'd love to have the time to take the FAQ and all the Q&A's and "translate" them all to html pages,
    but thats the kicker, i don't have the time, i have done some but real life is kinda busy lately...
    If anyone wants to volunteer i can send them a master html file and instructions, but 90% of the work is cut and pasting.
    I would volunteer to help, The Dungeon is like my second home so anything to help with the remodeling, again the Names I suggest are as follows The Main should stay The Dungeonthen we go down a level to The Catacombsand for the archival section The Keep while not sub terranean it still conjures up dark, dreary, creepy images just my 2 cents
    Taking life one day at a time!

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

I thought the theme of the Dungeon was wizards working in the basement, or some-such.

I was thinking 1)Alchemist Lab, 2)Library or Repository, and 3)Basement or Storehouse.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

if anyone else has any ideas please post them now,
    this will be going to a vote soon,

cheers,
    Barocca
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Edit One - Current Projects

Edit Two - Instruction

Edit Three - Archives

Inventive eh? Seriously only the Edit Three thing is worth looking at there...

|OCS|Virus

well I have a couple names if you are interested

edit 1

moding, mods, and general questions.
    Got a question on how to mod or moding, ask it here.

Edit 2

FAQ's and usefull tid bits.
    were common or important questions are kept and asked.

Edit 3

dated mod's and old threads
    were mods and dated or closed threads are kept.

these are just my suggestions, short and strait forword, you cant realy get the names confused for what they arn't, some ppl might not know what "The Oubliette" means =} hope what I have said helps

but personaly what I would have done is just made two forums, kept the main dungeon thread and what it basicly is, and sence there are a lot of pin-up's {which is why I assume you wanted to make more forums not sure though} I would have just made a seperate forum for the pin-up's instead of breaking it into three catarorys, moding is realy its own catagory and seems like it is a little hard to break it down into smaller forums. just my .02

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

I'ld personally guess that 2 forums would suffice at the moment.

Edit 1 running business and old topics.
    Edit 2 stickies and important/informative insights/faqs/guides/reads (so it's a library in the largest sense).

But anything that works for you is fine with me.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote[/b] (TosaInu @ Aug. 28 2003,06:00)]I'ld personally guess that 2 forums would suffice at the moment.

Edit 1 running business and old topics.
    Edit 2 stickies and important/informative insights/faqs/guides/reads (so it's a library in the largest sense).

But anything that works for you is fine with me.
    Why not reverse those two. The usual human inclination is to start at the top, so if all the FAQs and HOWTOs are in the first forum, they are more likely to be seen, read and possibly reduce the noise in the second forum.

Quoting TosaInu
    Edit 1 stickies and important/informative insights/faqs/guides/reads (so it's a library in the largest sense).
    Edit 2 running business and old topics.
    Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket. - Anonymous soldier.

Makes sense to me. Shall we make it that way then?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Please make is that way, name the forums, Edit 1...is driving me crazy.

Lancer
    I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Yeah, I agree, just name the forum with whatever you have decided. Also, is it possible to incorperate the Dungeon's sub forums into the "drop down" list at the bottom of the forum's template? Its a little out of the way to have to return to the Guild's index, then the Dungeon, then edit1...

Just a thought
    Eppur si muove

Konnichiwa Martyr san,

Good thought.

These forums are already in the Forum Jump at the bottom (scroll down the entire list).

But another Forum Jump has been added too, you may like it: go to your control panel and select the LiteSkin in account option (update). You'll then see a Forum Jump for the Dungeon subforums on the mainpage. I'll apply this extra dropdown list to other skins if it's considered a good feature. Those are one ways though.

There's yet another way, available in every skin. You don't have to return to the Guild Index, but you can also enter the Dungeon Index (see the 'grey' Navigation Bar at the top please).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

How about calling them Early, Middle and Late (ass per the startpos files) - which has some discernable connection to MTW modding

Edit1 = Early = the current posts
    Edit2 = Middle = FAQ's, Guides, other 'important' information
    Edit3 = Late = other posts that should be retained for posterity

Just a thought.

Welly

My 2 florins/100...

Edit1 = The Cellars (discussion and questions about modding)
    Edit2 = The Library (modding FAQs and How-To)
    Edit3 = The Crypt (old and scary stuff)

Quote[/b] (TosaInu @ Sep. 13 2003,10:40)]Konnichiwa Martyr san,

Good thought.

These forums are already in the Forum Jump at the bottom (scroll down the entire list).

But another Forum Jump has been added too, you may like it: go to your control panel and select the LiteSkin in account option (update). You'll then see a Forum Jump for the Dungeon subforums on the mainpage. I'll apply this extra dropdown list to other skins if it's considered a good feature. Those are one ways though.

There's yet another way, available in every skin. You don't have to return to the Guild Index, but you can also enter the Dungeon Index (see the 'grey' Navigation Bar at the top please).
    i like the drop box,

please enable it for the other skins,

please rename the drop box text to simply
    "Forums in this Category"

:-)

LK is on holidays, i'll contact Shand and LK and see where they would like to go with the names.
    I would rather we vote on the suggestions made,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although the names are not set in stone, why don't you put up their provisional titles? They are much better than Edit 1, Edit2 and Edit3, aren't they?
    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Yea I think we should start voting on the options we have. Let's do this:

-give it one more week for people to think of suggestions for names
    -then start voting

ok ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast