Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval: Total War XL

Default Re: Medieval: Total War XL

Hey Viking Horde, just another suggestion in late the French are too overpowered, their farmlands are very rich and they have reasonably good troop producing buildings, so they can make heaps of troops, plus they have most of the titles that give command bonuses available straight away, and get quite a few good hero generals. I suggest to balance them more you could remove the title giving buildings (such as Marshalls Palace and so on) so they at least can't have 6 star generals running around everywhere. I tried it and this makes them much more manageable, and gives the English, HRE, Aragonese and Burgundians a chance.

EDIT - Also making the French lose their ships will help out the English, so that they are able to reinforce Aquitine when the French invariably decide to attack it.
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 08-18-2004 at 08:22.
    CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR - A medieval mod for RTW
    http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

Hi Armchair Athlete
    Thanks for finding a solution for the problem, becouse Im too bussy making new units . My mod mod now has a total of 23 new shields and im still adding. ~:p

I have a little question about the scots, are the units setup (are they too bravehart looking). The highland scot should maybe be special units for all and lowland scot (the faction) more like the english having FMAA and stuff. The question is much the same with the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Athlete
    Hey Viking Horde, just another suggestion in late the French are too overpowered, their farmlands are very rich and they have reasonably good troop producing buildings, so they can make heaps of troops, plus they have most of the titles that give command bonuses available straight away, and get quite a few good hero generals. I suggest to balance them more you could remove the title giving buildings (such as Marshalls Palace and so on) so they at least can't have 6 star generals running around everywhere. I tried it and this makes them much more manageable, and gives the English, HRE, Aragonese and Burgundians a chance.

EDIT - Also making the French lose their ships will help out the English, so that they are able to reinforce Aquitine when the French invariably decide to attack it.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Achilles

How about adding some Historical battles in the Game and some events in Campiagn like the welsh rebellion of 1402 led by owen Grifynder and make the black death have more of an impact.

Turkish mounted Handgunners
    Bulgarian Armoured Pikemen
    Japanase mercenary samurai
    Norsemen Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles
    How about adding some Historical battles in the Game and some events in Campiagn like the welsh rebellion of 1402 led by owen Grifynder and make the black death have more of an impact.

Turkish mounted Handgunners
    Bulgarian Armoured Pikemen
    Japanase mercenary samurai
    Norsemen Warriors
    Hmm.. Maybe I will (If I have the time, RTW release pressure ). I have never made a Historical battle before, so it could be fun. Are events not hardcoded?

hmmm well Scottish/Irish history is not really my forte, I'm sure there are some Brits out there that know more about it than me but I dont really think the unit list is too much like a scene from Braveheart. I dont know if you are adding any new units to either faction for the final release. In the Late period however, the Scottish had much more organisation in their forces, and Scottish Pikemen were well renowned and also some were used as mercenaries by the French in the 100 years war (its just that English Longbowmen > Scottish Pikemen). So maybe in the Late period you could make Scotland have a County Militia constructed and give a valour bonus to Pikemen in Scotland. From what little I have read they also definately had men at arms at that point in time, so maybe you could give them Feudal Men at arms. I was under the impression that their men at arms were inferior to their English counterparts, so dont give them Chivalric MAA. The Irish I have no clue about whatsoever. Doesn't Scotland have quite a few mines though? If that is the case, then you could put a gold and silver mine in Scotland (fully constructed) this should help out the Scottish economy (Scotland has poor farming and farming in the rest of Britain is not that great either).

EDIT - Also giving the Scottish King more stars could help them survive a bit better. Same with the Bulgarians (they always seem to be killed off fairly quickly too).
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 08-18-2004 at 10:57.

hmmm well Scottish/Irish history is not really my forte, I'm sure there are some Brits out there that know more about it than me but I dont really think the unit list is too much like a scene from Braveheart. I dont know if you are adding any new units to either faction for the final release. In the Late period however, the Scottish had much more organisation in their forces, and Scottish Pikemen were well renowned and also some were used as mercenaries by the French in the 100 years war (its just that English Longbowmen > Scottish Pikemen). So maybe in the Late period you could make Scotland have a County Militia constructed and give a valour bonus to Pikemen in Scotland. From what little I have read they also definately had men at arms at that point in time, so maybe you could give them Feudal Men at arms. I was under the impression that their men at arms were inferior to their English counterparts, so dont give them Chivalric MAA. The Irish I have no clue about whatsoever. Doesn't Scotland have quite a few mines though? If that is the case, then you could put a gold and silver mine in Scotland (fully constructed) this should help out the Scottish economy (Scotland has poor farming and farming in the rest of Britain is not that great either).

EDIT - Also giving the Scottish King more stars could help them survive a bit better. Same with the Bulgarians (they always seem to be killed off fairly quickly too).
    Giving the scots FMAA is proberly good, but they will have them from early period (because it will take a unit space in the prod. file!). I don't know about the mines, but if there is gold then they should have some.

Evil Sheriff Member Despot of the English's Avatar

Just a small thing. I was just thinking about the Norman Foot Knights: perhaps it would be better to call them Norman Men-at-Arms because they're not really knights are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Despot of the English
    Just a small thing. I was just thinking about the Norman Foot Knights: perhaps it would be better to call them Norman Men-at-Arms because they're not really knights are they?
    Hmm. I don't know, have not reed much about them.

Actually they were properly dismounted kights in most cases. Famous for their double handed swords (when fighting dismounted) and their kite shaped shield. The Normans in Sicily anyway did not bring many retainers and so forth, it was usually the poorer ones that individually went in order to make a fortune plundering the richer towns and cities in Southern Italy, and hiring themselves out as mercenaries (until they realised that they were the most powerful in Southern Italy and unnited). In England it was a different story, they did have squires and so on, but these I think can be filled quite well by the already existing FMAA, CMAA and so on.

Actually they were properly dismounted kights in most cases. Famous for their double handed swords (when fighting dismounted) and their kite shaped shield. The Normans in Sicily anyway did not bring many retainers and so forth, it was usually the poorer ones that individually went in order to make a fortune plundering the richer towns and cities in Southern Italy, and hiring themselves out as mercenaries (until they realised that they were the most powerful in Southern Italy and unnited). In England it was a different story, they did have squires and so on, but these I think can be filled quite well by the already existing FMAA, CMAA and so on.
    I have allready added Norman Footknights, but I could of couse make them Sicilian only and have Norman knights dismount info FMAA or something like that. The main problem would be Norman knights dismount into Norman Footknights when dismounting. I have found a good Norman shield at www.mackenziesmith.com, very good armour there. It's just a shame it's in the US, becouse I would love to get my hands on a Crusaders great helm or some gothic armour (if I had the money :p ).

Quote Originally Posted by VikingHorde
    I have added the volga bulgarians who are a muslim faction. I will maybe add the Portugese, but then I'l have to take out one of the other factions. I finde the swiss a bit odd faction, not having a big role in medieval history. They are so small, so maybe the will go. Any surgestions?
    I have had some minor problem with the mod (vasted 3 day, sucks), but it is working fine now . The last shields are being made and i'm balancing the factions. I hope the mod is ready Monday
    Good historical fact with the Volga Bulgarians being muslim not pagan. I was skeptical until I did a bit of research and found out Islam spread through trade relations with the Muslims.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo
    Good historical fact with the Volga Bulgarians being muslim not pagan. I was skeptical until I did a bit of research and found out Islam spread through trade relations with the Muslims.
    Jepp, I was allso supprised when I reed it, becouse I had them as pagans in the beginning. They were the most northen muslime people back then and still are today (I think).

So how is the final release coming along? I bet you're a bit distracted with the RTW demo out now! Any plans for modding RTW yet?

So how is the final release coming along? I bet you're a bit distracted with the RTW demo out now! Any plans for modding RTW yet?
    Im downloading the demo now, so it will be fun to see how modable it will be (if the demo can say anything). I think the full game will come in oktober or november, but we will see

The final release is coming on nicely, have been bussy adding the last units and balancing the game. It will proberly be about two weeks sadly, becouse there is still a lot to be done. The unit morale needs to be ajusted a bit and the loc files need to be translated into german and spanish once im done with them (allmost done).

A MTW mod could be nice, but we will see. The next project will be FotN, but I might do some modding on my own too.

Member Member william the bastard's Avatar

wait for your work you done great work mate sorry for my f...ing english spoken need to practise more but french forums are more boring than this one
    Sorry for my French

Member Member william the bastard's Avatar

Forgot
    Good luck with FotNM mod I waiting for it
    Sorry for my French

Quote Originally Posted by william the bastard
    Forgot
    Good luck with FotNM mod I waiting for it
    Thanks, I think it will be a cool mod once it is finished. I like the viking era, but VI was a little to small IMHO.

I would like to get some feedback on unit morale, allso a view on how morale should be would be great. The final release is making good progress, so better unit balance could be cool.

I think it was a fairly good move to increase units morale to make the game harder, expert will definately be a challenge now! However, with some units, low morale was their only real weakness. For example, with Halberdiers you also boosted their attack and morale. There is now no real reason to use Chivalric Men at arms, as Halberdiers have a higher attack (once the armour piercing effect is taken into account), higher defense, bonus vs Cavalry, higher armour and equal morale for only less speed. A bit the same with Foresters, for only 75 florins you get a very high morale, high charge, armour piercing unit. I think that if maybe morale increases were done by a constant factor accross the board, (like you did with farming increases) adding +2 or +4 or something, it would not boost those low morale units unreasonably. In effect, I guess it would be a bit like playing expert difficulty in normal, but made harder due to the trade reduction and additional provinces reducing blitz strategies.

EDIT - also, if you wanted to greatly boost the morale of some units, you could just increase their cost or something.
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 08-26-2004 at 02:14.

I think it was a fairly good move to increase units morale to make the game harder, expert will definately be a challenge now! However, with some units, low morale was their only real weakness. For example, with Halberdiers you also boosted their attack and morale. There is now no real reason to use Chivalric Men at arms, as Halberdiers have a higher attack (once the armour piercing effect is taken into account), higher defense, bonus vs Cavalry, higher armour and equal morale for only less speed. A bit the same with Foresters, for only 75 florins you get a very high morale, high charge, armour piercing unit. I think that if maybe morale increases were done by a constant factor accross the board, (like you did with farming increases) adding +2 or +4 or something, it would not boost those low morale units unreasonably. In effect, I guess it would be a bit like playing expert difficulty in normal, but made harder due to the trade reduction and additional provinces reducing blitz strategies.

EDIT - also, if you wanted to greatly boost the morale of some units, you could just increase their cost or something.
    Halberdiers proberly have the biggest balance problem, so im going to edit them a bit. Foresters are allso i bit overpowered. Maybe reducing the morale by 2-3 on a lot of units would be good. My biggest problem is the +4-5 morale on expert, making units fight to the end (like knights).

Just one more minor suggestion VH could you possibly make Polish retainers a little more useful? Maybe make them all periods as opposed to only high and late or increase their movement speed to 20,24,26 (fast cavalry). As they can only be had in high and late there is not much point building them, as they are impetuous like Chivalric Knights, but with worse stats and can only be built in two provinces. Mght as well just build Chivalric Knights. Making them available in early I think would be the best way to go.

Hey Viking!
    You have to wait until i have finished German version...I have a lot of work to do, so it wont be finish in the next time...im very sorry, but i do all I can.

Greetz teutonic
    Im from Germany, so my English isn't very well. ;)

@Teutonic
    I have just send you the files, so you can translate them when you have time. The files are better organized now, having most changes at the end of the file.

@Armchair Athlete
    Could be a good idea, i'll write it down in my changes list for later use.

There seems to be a problem with the musicpack, I think the startposfiles,
    when I start MTW it says something like Error Burgundians_DN....
    AKA Cromagnon2

FotN? my acronym translator failed me on this one.........

i very much like the look of this mod as i have played the vanilla version of M:TW to death over the last two years, but i have a few Q's:

1) does XL require its own clean install, or is it an expansion?
    2) if it is a TC, do the events from M:TW (vanilla) still exist?
    3) when was 2.0beta released?
    4) will the next/last version due out in a week or so be 2.0final?

thanks

PeegeeTips

Quote Originally Posted by Dyonisius
    There seems to be a problem with the musicpack, I think the startposfiles,
    when I start MTW it says something like Error Burgundians_DN....
    The music pack only works with the 1.2 version, not the 2.0 beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine_Tergiversate
    FotN? my acronym translator failed me on this one.........

i very much like the look of this mod as i have played the vanilla version of M:TW to death over the last two years, but i have a few Q's:

1) does XL require its own clean install, or is it an expansion?
    2) if it is a TC, do the events from M:TW (vanilla) still exist?
    3) when was 2.0beta released?
    4) will the next/last version due out in a week or so be 2.0final?

thanks

PeegeeTips
    FotN is the Fury of the Northmen project.

1) My mod needs a clean install, because almost all mods changes the original files. The old game can still be played.
    2) Events? I think so, but don't know for sure what you mean.
    3) The 2.0 Beta was released about 26/7.
    4) Jepp, it will be the final. There has been some delays, but it will be out in a week. The last graphic will be done this weekend and the next week will be used for balancing, improving AI setup, and removing the last few bugs (if any).

EDIT: The 2.0 beta is an addon.

ace, cheers.

i'd love to have a condensed list of which mods work as an expansion, which are a TC but don't affect the original game, and which overwrite the original game completely.
    but cheers for the info.

events as in "The Blind Hermit has proclaimed himself in Wallachia, and calls for an end to serfdom in the kingdom" - and you find that the provinces loyalty has gone through the floor, quick, lower the taxes and beef up the garrison!

i'm moving house on Thursday, so will be without t'internet from wednesday onwards fro about three weeks, i guess i shall have to d/l it at work and burn it to CD. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine_Tergiversate
    ace, cheers.

i'd love to have a condensed list of which mods work as an expansion, which are a TC but don't affect the original game, and which overwrite the original game completely.
    but cheers for the info.

events as in "The Blind Hermit has proclaimed himself in Wallachia, and calls for an end to serfdom in the kingdom" - and you find that the provinces loyalty has gone through the floor, quick, lower the taxes and beef up the garrison!

i'm moving house on Thursday, so will be without t'internet from wednesday onwards fro about three weeks, i guess i shall have to d/l it at work and burn it to CD. :D
    Okey, those events are still there (both old and new game). The final version of my mod will be an overwrite mod, but the old game can be play with the new map. It reduce download size and I find an overwrite more stable than an addon. All info about the mod and download links are on page one.

thank you.

Default Very good mod!!

I just started playing, and like what you have done to the old units and shields, they look much better. Also like that the AI builds less peasants, so making it more challenging. Hope you also make new info pics for the new units, I really like that.

Cheers!!
    AKA Cromagnon2

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast