Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval: Total War XL

Default Re: Medieval: Total War XL

Hi VH, I have something for you to check. I started a new game as the scots in high era on expert last night. I had added the copied end date line to the XL text for the high era changing the date from 1066 to 1814 (not sure why that date). So the game started and everting went well until I noticed that Mercia under the English had a metalsmith but no Iron resource. The units they were making had the weapon improvement. I checked in the XL high text for buildings and found that merica was set to have a metalsmith. I then checked the late XL text and it was there again, only in early is the metalsmith not present. In my Volga game the metalsmith has never been built there, so it must be fine.

So How do I remove he metalsmith building? Do I just need to remove the line from the text?

Thanks again

VH I decided to just chance it and remove the line for the mercia metalsmith, as you know this removed the building when I loaded up a new scots game. Sorry I'm a bit excited as my first modding adventure went well
    I'm in a massive battle in my Volga game with the fatmids, they had some arab infantry who threw spears!?? Did you say you had removed the throwing spears from both types of arab infantry?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    I'm in a massive battle in my Volga game with the fatmids, they had some arab infantry who threw spears!?? Did you say you had removed the throwing spears from both types of arab infantry?

Yeah, I noticed that just a couple weeks ago myself, and have been meaning to ask VH about this as well. Are they still supposed to have throwing spears, or aren't they? Either way is fine; I'd just like to know for sure!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Yeah, I noticed that just a couple weeks ago myself, and have been meaning to ask VH about this as well. Are they still supposed to have throwing spears, or aren't they? Either way is fine; I'd just like to know for sure!
    They should not have throwing spears in the 2.1, so if you are playing the 2.0 version, then they will have throwing spears.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Quote Originally Posted by VikingHorde
    They should not have throwing spears in the 2.1, so if you are playing the 2.0 version, then they will have throwing spears.

I actually am playing with 2.1, hence why I was a little confused....

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I actually am playing with 2.1, hence why I was a little confused....
    Thats odd, maybe I forgot to edit all 3 era's . I will check it out later today

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

This may not be the place, but I would just like to express my huge thanks to VikingHorde and those who helped develop the XL mod. I am having such fun with it - tough enough to be really interesting, especially with the Cumans.

Thank you very much for a wonderful addition to my favourite game
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai
    This may not be the place, but I would just like to express my huge thanks to VikingHorde and those who helped develop the XL mod. I am having such fun with it - tough enough to be really interesting, especially with the Cumans.

Thank you very much for a wonderful addition to my favourite game

I'll second that. No matter how many times I've said it before, I can never praise him enough for this terrific mod. Huzzah for VikingHorde!

To Haruchai: Congratulations on being made a full member, by the way.

VH, following on from the thread I started in the main hall I was wondering if you had thought about moding the Border watch towers and border forts. Spies on both sides seem to be at such a disadvantage that someone suggested making BWT only buildable after reaching the Keep and BF after reaching Citadel level. I've also thought that making them more expensive and longer to build would be better, given the massive results they achieve.

Any thoughts?

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

Hello everyone, I just downloaded the XL mod, and I am new to mods , this is my first one, i was wondering if someone could tell me how to install it. I have some questiosn too. 1) how do i install MTW twice?, the option isnt given to me. 2) do i install the mod with MTW or can i install it to MTW VI ( i have the 2.01 patch) 3) if i can only install it with MTW, do i need the patch installed for it too?

thanks, hopefully i can start playing it today
    Formerly Maximus Aurelius

Hi mate you cane install MTW twice first install MTW and the patch for it then install Viking with the patch for it then go to your program files and make a copy of your MTW folder and renamed it MTW XLthen you put the first mod patch from XL 2.1 then put the second mod patch 3.0 on it then go to your MTW XL folder and make a shortcut from your logo then have fun XL is a great mod they all are i have XL , BKB and fall of rome they are really great i hope this helps you mate

Quote Originally Posted by axel
    Hi mate you cane install MTW twice first install MTW and the patch for it then install Viking with the patch for it then go to your program files and make a copy of your MTW folder and renamed it MTW XLthen you put the first mod patch from XL 2.1 then put the second mod patch 3.0 on it then go to your MTW XL folder and make a shortcut from your logo then have fun XL is a great mod they all are i have XL , BKB and fall of rome they are really great i hope this helps you mate
    Erhhh, first the XL 2.0 should be installed, then the XL 2.1 patch

@Third spearman from the left
    I don't know about changing the needs to build them. If the AI can't build anything too improve province loyalty, then it will become inactive. I tryed to change it before and with poor results.

sry mate

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

Ah, thank you axel, it works great
    Formerly Maximus Aurelius

your welcome mate enjoy XL its a great mod

VH can I refer you back to my earlier post.

VH can I refer you back to my earlier post.
    Sorry, I don't understand. Is it about the borderforts or? (maybe I just get too little sleep ).

yes the border forts post, I was just wondering what you thought, thanks.

Sorry if this has been addressed already but the thread is HUGE. I'm playing Aragon/Early and keep getting save game CTD's, usually (it seems) after a Crusade. I'm patched to 2.1 btw. Anyone have/had the same problem??

Thanks

@Third spearman from the left
    I think it's a bad idea to change the border fort needs, because AI will get inactive when it can't get a higher loyalty. I tryed to change it some time ago and did not get good results.

@Cid
    It sounds like a corrupted savefile, it sadly happens sometimes in MTW. Try a early'er savefile and see if it works. It could also be a corrupted game, so a reinstall could be needed (remember to save your savefiles).

I wonder if VH or someone who has played the Cumans before can help.

I have just discovered that Bashkorts are no longer available to build in Late (after 1305) having developed from an Early campaign. This removes one of my main units and there doesn't appear to be any kind of replacement spear unit apart from basic spearmen that have been available from the start.

I don't have knowledge of the Cuman tech tree - is there a unit of spears I can build in Late to replace my beloved bashkorts? They were getting a bit outclassed, but it seems unfair that I lose one of the very few units that make the Cumans different
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai
    I wonder if VH or someone who has played the Cumans before can help.

I have just discovered that Bashkorts are no longer available to build in Late (after 1305) having developed from an Early campaign. This removes one of my main units and there doesn't appear to be any kind of replacement spear unit apart from basic spearmen that have been available from the start.

I don't have knowledge of the Cuman tech tree - is there a unit of spears I can build in Late to replace my beloved bashkorts? They were getting a bit outclassed, but it seems unfair that I lose one of the very few units that make the Cumans different
    I have not tryed playing them, so I did not know that they get outclassed. I will correct it in the next patch. The cuman campaign you wrote is good reading by the way

I've found them still to be good in partnership with the Cuman warriors, though even heavily armoured they are not a toe-to-toe match with catholic units. But they are not meant to be, and their javelins can still give armoured troops a nasty shock.

As I move into the Late era, I have to be much more mobile to stand up to the western forces, which is as it should be. I would be happy to be able to continue building bashkorts after 1305 and live with their inferiority and have to adapt - that's the fun of the Cumans to me! But losing bashkorts in Late with nothing at all to replace, is going to be very tough.

I like the way you have restricted factions to just their own troop types regardless of territory conquered (in most cases) it provides a real challenge for me. The Cumans have a very limited roster, and the bashkort is the only way I can keep heavily armoured cavalry from ripping up my Cuman warriors if they get past my SHC screens. Normal spears have suspect morale and are not as mobile or flexible.

Thanks for the kind words on my Cuman campaign. If I can give you any feedback you might want for future patches, I will be only too glad to help if I can!
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Have you tried building Cuman Heavy Cavalry or Cuman Warriors yet? According to the "MTW_XL_LATE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT" file in my XL mod installation (using Gnome Editor), both those troop types are restricted to EARLY and HIGH periods, just like the Bashkorts.

It should be a simple matter to fix, just by changing column 20 from "EARLY, HIGH" to "ALL_PERIODS". It must be an oversight, because no one would deliberately restrict a faction's mainstay units like that.

P.S. I too have greatly enjoyed your campaign chronicle - keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Geezer57; 02-01-2006 at 01:53.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer57
    Have you tried building Cuman Heavy Cavalry or Cuman Warriors yet? According to the "MTW_XL_LATE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT" file in my XL mod installation (using Gnome Editor), both those troop types are restricted to EARLY and HIGH periods, just like the Bashkorts.

It should be a simple matter to fix, just by changing column 20 from "EARLY, HIGH" to "ALL_PERIODS". It must be an oversight, because no one would deliberately restrict a faction's mainstay units like that.

P.S. I too have greatly enjoyed your campaign chronicle - keep up the good work!
    Oddly, both CHC and CW are available and I'm now into 1345. I tried changing as you suggested but it doesn't work - perhaps it will only affect new campaigns?

The bashkort becomes unavailable in 1321 exactly. I checked my save games and in 1320 one can build them, 1321 nothing. (I always thought Late began in 1305 for some reason )

The GA Homelands points (ie the little diamonds that go red or blank) are missing too. Perhaps as the original MTW doesn't have the Cumans lasting into Late, there are some references missing (I know nothing about modding so I am likely to be fishing in the dark here! )
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Hi all,
    in my Volga's campaign my Bashkorts have also stopped being produced after 1321 however I thought like the slav units it was a case that they had been outclassed. I'm hoping that an invasion of wales will give me Welsh longbows, hope so.

VH, are you working on a new patch at the moment, or are you just making notes for a later date?

Hi all,
    in my Volga's campaign my Bashkorts have also stopped being produced after 1321 however I thought like the slav units it was a case that they had been outclassed. I'm hoping that an invasion of wales will give me Welsh longbows, hope so.

VH, are you working on a new patch at the moment, or are you just making notes for a later date?
    I am currently making notes for a new patch, but I have not made any big work yet. Im still getting info from the .org and .com, but much of it is still under debate. I will add more unit pics in the patch, so new graphics stuff will be added

Just another genius Member aw89's Avatar

Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence, oh, and when I'm asking questions; Is the combat algorithm released? (where?)

Quote Originally Posted by aw89
    Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence
    Norman Knights = Chg 8/Atk 5/Def 3/Arm 4/Mor 9
    Chivalric Knights = Chg 8/Atk 4/Def 5/Arm 6/Mor 8

Looks to me like Normans would be a bit better, due to their higher attack, if used intelligently (i.e., flanking or rear attacks). Chivalrics would hold up better in a heads-up slugfest, due to their better defense and armor. Normans without armor upgrades could even be used in the desert without too much penalty, but Chivalrics would cook.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Quote Originally Posted by aw89
    Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence, oh, and when I'm asking questions; Is the combat algorithm released? (where?)
    Inside the MTW folder with XL mod installed, there is a exel file with data about what is needed to build units and buildings, plus the unit stats of units. With the 2.1 patch installed, there is a folder with lots of info (also inside the MTW folder).

Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast