Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danish

Default Re: Danish

Taking Lithuana then Kiev. Build a Russian empire!
    Ego Imperator sum.

Lightbulb Re: Danish

Viks are AWESOME in early, esp with weapons upgrades. I tend to send em on a training/ equip tour from Norway (bonus) to Sweden (iron for weapon upgrd) and then out to combat. I also like to get the armor upgrade in Sweden to avoid spending extra cash on Norway as I only use it as an econ/trader prov (money's real tight as Denmark, gotta streamline or you go broke)

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

ummm, I'd disagree as the cheap longboats that you should get into the water ASAP should establish trade routes enough to make your country rich.

Also, I usually focus military buildings and armor in relatively poor provinces like norway so that richers provinces like sweden can build up their farming and trade faster.

but keep pumping those ironsmiths out though

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

sweden should only build huscarle facilities and metalsmiths before economic upgrades are maxed.

Smile Re: Danish

I find it easiet to take sweden first. i build vikings to protect denamrk incase the germany become cockey, and i than set up sweden as my ship builder, i build as many longboats as i can and when i have the men i take Norway, like has been mentioned before they give you a huge bonus for vikings.

i take ireland next and use thier gallowglasses to help fend off the scotish highlanders, i slowly take control of english when ihave the men to assualt thier castles, or i will be excommunicated by the pope.

i take over england and flanders, keep a strong garrison in flanders and a strong navy and you should be able to look after yourself, besides if all falls with the Germans you can retreat to England and prepare for revenge.

try and get the pope on your side (allaince). he will favour you over your enemies and if you build churches early he will award you for your "acts of god"?

What mainly sucks is that the danes cant mount a crusade. .if they could than they could easily rule the world.
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Initially when I played the Danes, I concentrated on Sweden and Norway first, but I found that income was always a very limiting problem until well into the 1100s. In my more recent campaigns I took Saxony first, and then concentrated on taking all the provinces that border Saxony: Pomerania, Brandenburg, Franconia, and Friesland, in that order. I would build watchtowers in each to improve loyalty, and then forts in all of them so I could produce vikings wherever I needed them, rapidly. Then I would attempt to make peace with the HRE. The HRE often gets hit by several factions at once early on, so often enough they are willing to make peace.

I then keep a large army in Saxony and build watchtowers and a motte and bailey for all the forts in the surrounding provinces, keeping only a small garrison in each. If one is attacked, I withdraw to my fortifications and use the large army in Saxony to repulse the attack. As soon as income allows, I improve the farmlands in each province by 20%, the more lucrative ones to 40%. This "star pattern" defensive approach allows you to effectively defend several provinces without having to maintain large garrisons in each.

I've noticed that conquering a lot tends to increase Influence and thus will often improve the command rating of my heirs when they mature. Early on I tend to use mostly vikings, supplemented by a few archers, and spearmen in regions where neighboring factions have cavalry. In the early years I will usually build only one spearmaker and one bowyer (spearmaker in Franconia for an eventual weapons bonus, bowyer in Saxony; I build a palace and courts in Denmark so I can produce extra Royals as needed).

Support cost is important and doesn't seem to be discussed much (just as cash flow seems to be often overlooked in favor of sound long term investments). Vikings are only 37 florins to support, as are archers. Spearmen are 50. Militia are 30. Bang for the buck, vikings are a great bargain, particularly when you factor in that they only require a fort to train. Hence, I will often garrison my inner and outlying provinces with a couple of militia units for their lesser cost, and defend them with a large, viking-heavy central army in Saxony.

After taking these provinces, I take Sweden. Sweden is a trade cash cow once you get it going. I usually focus my early expenditures on developing fleet production in Denmark (after palace and courts), trade in Sweden, and troops other than vikings and royals in Saxony and Franconia. After taking Sweden, if I can't afford to bribe the army in Norway, I'll assemble a strong army and attack. The +1 valor vikings from Norway are very nice, but aren't really necessary early on. Once I've secured Norway, Sweden, Saxony, Pomerania, Brandenburg, Franconia, and Friesland, I'll suspend expansion for a while and focus on improving agriculture, building ships, establishing trade, and improving my troop production capability, in that order. Then, assuming I'm not being attacked by a significant force, I'll turn my attention either to England or to the rebels in Livonia and Lithuania.

When I employ this strategy it's usually the Polish who attack me first (aside from the HRE trying feebly to hold onto their northern lands), as they tend to covet Pomerania and Brandenburg. The Pope tends to get upset if I attack them, even in defense (though he doesn't seem to care when I attack the HRE), so what I usually do is repulse their attack, and then follow through by attacking and sacking both Silesia and Poland before withdrawing back into my lands. This cripples them, yielding a nice amount of cash, and they don't usually attack again for a very long time, if at all.

Building a "kamikaze" stack of vikings to use for raiding can be very effective. By destroying a rival's defenses, infrastructure and agriculture while maintaining your own, you keep your technological edge, particularly in troop effectiveness (vikings). If you let your neighbors develop the better troop types, then you have to keep up in the arms race as well, and your vikings eventually lose their effectiveness. The longer you can prevent your neighbors from developing the better troops, the longer the viking remains the unit to be feared in the region. Early on, when everyone else is producing peasants, militia, spearmen, archers, and horsemen, vikings tend to rock if you manage them wisely on the battlefield.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Praetorian on Crusade Member Oshidashi's Avatar

I think Ive read every post carefully now but I haven't seen anyone metioning the effectiveness of bribing rebel armies. You people must be able to build that skinny guy called diplomat or what.

Secondly you mostly talk about what regions you take without metioning that you carefully have to watch international politics.

If you don't take the above in account, then you can still manage the Danes quite well if you FFS build a very large fleet and use the god given Vikings.

My perfect Danish game went roughly as following:

Take the beautiful land of Sweden with it's richness on all fronts (the chiqs there are also quite adorabel) first within no longer then two turns. As someone (sry forgot) posted earlier, they almost always retreat. Then bribe the 5 viking units at norway, there's probably a wonderful governor or general in the army to. Getting those wonderfully men with great acumen and/or command is a real nice asset of bribing.

While your conquering the north, you send your lovely daughter to marry a drunken german prince. This alliance is important and you should act by your thrustfull word by stationing your primary army in sweden. This will make the Germans keep their forces in Saxony low. I recommend you try to keep the same amount of men as they have in Saxony, in Denmark, but of a better quality ofcourse (e.g. vikings and royal knights or a combination of troops which your good at fighting with).

Domesticly you start building the following:

Denmark: farm 20%, Spearmaker, watchtowers, 40%, keep, harbor, shipwright, merchant, 60%......
    Sweden: Only financial shizzle till 60% and between building that also build an armourer and ofcourse the watchtower and improvement.
    Norway: Financial shizzle primarly but after you have a keep and the 40% you should make this nation ready for building some fleet to.
    Retrain as many units as you can with the armourer in Sweden.

This all will make you a king of a small but efficient empire. In politics, you concentrate on making as many alliances as you can. Early in the game choose out of England, The Novgorods or The Polish to become NOT allied with. This gives you an important backdoor for if my tactics won't work and although this is unlikely, I have seen everything happen in MTW politics, it's far more dynamic or unpredictable then at RTW.

The alliances you make add to the valour of your skinny diplomat and this will make your bribes cheaper. Yes, you should bribe your way into the powerhouse of Europe, and eventually beyond.

As soon as you have 2 or 3 ships and half an army stack full in Sweden at least you can think of expanding to the mainland or England. By this time probably one of the two baltic states have been conquered by another faction, driving away the (remaining) rebels of the one state towards the other. Bribe this army as soon as you can! If there are two stacks of rebel units bribe the one with the best governors in it. You also have to send in your swedish army as it's eager to fight being upgraded with their first armor rate which makes them delicious to fight with in the early days. If there's only one stack, you are lucky and immediately ready for your next expansion.

Europe will likely by that time be a battlefield where English, French and Germans will be killing and exhausting eachother. You are still concentrating on the fleet which goal it is to reach the straits of Gibralter and collect uge trade reveneus. Because the 3 nations I named are killing each other and occupying territories with too little men to keep law and order, they create new rebel armies and countries and even sometimes end up with a civil war which triggers the unstoppable expansion of your empire. Bribe the armies you think are worthwile to add to your army and occupy the territorries with enough man to create a stable environment for economic growth. Occupying the coastal territorries with enough men won't be a problem as you have a dominant fleet and you can transport to anywhere you want. Don't forget to build harbors so you can continue to profit from the easy transportantion.

After conquering a few provinces you'll probably have....I'll finish this later as the klock seems to have jumped hours to the next day while I was lost at The Org....

Last couple of post have had some excellent advice . Danes
    are much fun to play.
    PB-PL Commander/CC2 Commander/MTW Commander

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgfred
    Last couple of post have had some excellent advice . Danes are much fun to play.
    The Danes are a blast. On Early, I like to see how far I can get before I need missile troops, just because!

Vikings/huscarles, with support from feudal sergeants, mounted sergeants, and highlanders/gallowglasses can handle pretty much anything in early. feudals absorb charges and hold the line, mounteds chase down opposing archers, the HL/GG swords make for a good reserve/spear counter/chase unit/cannon fodder, and the axemen crush all comers. No flying pointy sticks necessary.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Danes are deceptively simple faction..... it looks hard at start.. they have 1 province with a big HRE under them... but the HRE will never really have enough to hit you while you can be filthy rich very quickly.

As others have said, just take Scadanavia ASAP, and then start building ur ships, you might op to take the province right under denmark as it still makes you a 1 province defense anyway and giving a blow to the HRE early never really hurts ur later expansion plans.

Get ur ships going ASAP , then start looking for opportunities, usually the easiest way to do it is to take Ireland then start going for England.

If you want you could also expand towards the east into Russian land as the Novogrod are really weak...... but the downside is you have to deal with the Mongols this way .......

The smarter way is probably build up ur economy after taking England and totally spread out ur ships and ensure total naval domination, wait for the others to wear themself out.... by mid Chivaric time when the Hoard should have ripped apart the eastern factions and most of western europe either killed each other or the Almo train rolled over them...... strike!!!! i highly suggest going for the Iberian area first, it's easy to defend and give you great access either way, and more importantly whoever's holding it is probably the strongest faction running around in the west anyway. then try to connect ur empire in Europe steam roll over whats left of the HRE and French English in a 3 way strike.

now it's only a matter of steamrolling....... to deal with the Mongols the easiest way is probably just mass arbies with lots of Chiv sergents.....

A strategy that I've often used (and found to work ) is a) unite Scandinavia, b) take Britain, Ireland and Flanders, c) make a HUGE navy and then hit Sicily, the thee Byz islands and (if you can) Constantinople and Outremer. After this, the medieval world is at your whim

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor
    A strategy that I've often used (and found to work ) is a) unite Scandinavia, b) take Britain, Ireland and Flanders, c) make a HUGE navy and then hit Sicily, the thee Byz islands and (if you can) Constantinople and Outremer. After this, the medieval world is at your whim
    This is a strategy I use, almost in this order. I somewhat ignored sicily in the past though, as I was never in a particular habit to check each province for resources or trade goods. It's now on my list of places to hit. As to Crete, Rhodes, and Cyprus they don't have any trade goods or resources, so I find they are generally better left alone so that they can be used to sell your trade goods to them and make even more money. They might be useful for troop deployment.

As the Danes, don't forget Portugal. Caravels get +1 Valor when trained there. No wonder I had difficulties with some Spanish fleets. In addition, it has 2 trade goods, and as I recall, it picks up 2 more late in the game (not very useful, but still worthy to note).

I'd add Venice to the list, and Antioch and Tripoli if it can be managed. With those and also not forgetting Lithuania and Livona will give you the greatest trade benefit (not to mention each being in different parts of the regions giving you decent troop deployment grounds. It does mean a larger number of provinces that need to be defended.

In my latest couple games (1 Conquest and 1 Glorious Achievements) with the Danes, the Turks collapsed in the first one leaving Antioch to the rebels (which I promptly picked up (I could've also picked up Tripoli, but I didn't realize that additional trade goods would become available, so I ignored it). For the next dozen years or so there wasn't much threatsa the other neighboring provinces were also in the hands of the rebels (it was only when the Spanish swept through Africa, and then the Byzantines pushed them back the other way that there was the potential for danger. They never bothered because I maintained atleast 3-4 legions in the province at any one time. At a moment's notice I could recall the troops if I wanted to, but was never necessary.

In my current game, the Italians collapsed and I picked up Venice. Sweet catch, especially with some of the other factions around at the time. In this same game, I also bribed the army at Constantinople (starting a big war with the Byzantines which I ended up coming out of reasonably well, and still holding onto Constantinople. I'll have to try the same with Antioch ;)

In addition in this game, I assassinated the spanish King just after he took the throne (thereby he did not have any heirs and the faction collapsed, leaving alot of territory... only Byzantine came close as a major power).

Finally there is Khazar which can be picked up after the Golden Horde has blown their load and is on their way to oblivion.

Is it just me or does the Mongols go from a heard of Mountain Lions, to a couple Leopards with Laryngitis. It could just be the Viking Invasion expansion that I have, but I haven't seen the Horde do much rampaging (it hasn't affected the Byzantines tactics any, other than losing a few provinces). Likewise the Almohads have made a poor showing with the Spanish dominating in most of the games I've seen. In addition (and this is not something I've seen before I got the Viking Invasion expansion) when the Pope gets eliminated for the first time, when they return, they become completly militaristic attacking any nearby provinces that look weak. At the rate they were going they would've hit the Baltic Sea. I've only ever seen the pope sit there like a bump on a log.

Abridged Summary: Early, Hard Dif Meddy/VI Vannila

Um, Peace with HRE is def a big thing. I've noticed that England will fall on its own accord from France. I took time, took Scandinavia.

Built up ships, got trade going to i guess Byzantium territories.

Was racking in about 5k+ per turn, built vikings (high end) and invaded rebel territories east of baltic. Bribed territory that has Crossbowmen and Lithuanian nobles. Nobles suck, but having 120 crossbowmen b4 everyone else is good, cause all russia has is light/ med cav.

Conquered Russia using army built around crossbowmen and Huscarles. Note that the crossbowmen were wracking in about 100+ kills each per battle, which is amazing. Even mounted crossbows are worth having if fighting against light infantry or cav. They killed about 2-7 per volley.

Back on subject. Conquered Russia, took rebels. Used Priests to help stabilize occupation, due to the fact that the northlands are usually all pagan, except for Moscovy.

Next stop was poland. I prepped several armies. Between Bribing provinces and 3 full stacks, poland fell in 15 turns. At this time HRE was reduced to 3 provinces from France and Poland, I went in for kill.

Having nigh unlimited money alows you to start a blitzkrieg that is almost impossible to beat. If you cant beat them, bribe them, and if they cant be bought, beatem.

You need to take Sweden and Norway ASAP to get the extra income. Leave Denmark for producing your boats, while using Norway to produce your exellent Vikings with the +1 valour bonus. They are fantastic bread-and-butter troops right from the start. Sweden I try and develop weapon upgrades first, and later in the game I use it as a place where I send all my battle damaged units to either be merged into new units with other damaged units, or retrained with weapon upgrades.

Also once you get a good trading route going, and a decent merchant in Sweden you can make some serious florens with it.

I build up myself 6 units of vikings, i search through my ranks for high accumen, I then take sweden on my second turn, i wait several and take norway.

Spend your time making alliances and marrying your daughters. I then build churches and ports, merchants and then farms. i make bishops whom i move out to russia, i then start building my spearmakers and swordsmiths for my Chivilic men at arms (on of the best units in the game).

Take a foot hold in Russia, and expand if people are attacking you, you can pretty much take Russia in 10 turns if your clever. I did it in 5!

I then moved out towards england. a very easy place to take from denmark. just have fleets in all the sea regions, build ou armies and attack every province at once, English cant defend themselves and after three turns they arm for a cease fire.

You may be excommunicate, but so are the rest of the major powers, just wait until the pope dies.

move out and take the coastal regions, wait until the germans have to fight the almohads and they start to die and lose their land, then erupt out of scandinvia and take germany then move on and take europe.

i play on the points scheme, more fun that way.
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

Defeater of the Wicker People Member The Darkhorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT
    I do not know if this is a bug or what but many times i've played the danes , when in the later stages it's hard to produce male heirs. When I was almost conquered the whole world my line ended... :-(
    Actually, I've never seen any real bad effects from just having the guy jump on one of his sisters if he's in his thirties and no one will marry you. Nasty, but it works. The drooling idiot vices are just random anyway.
    We are men of action...lies do not become us.

Defeater of the Wicker People Member The Darkhorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yalpe
    I tried a different approach to make the conquest of Norway much easier. This was on normal difficulty so I don't know if it would work on harder modes but I will try in the future for sure.

In 1087, attack Sweden with your king alone. This way they AI won't retreat and you will get to fight them. If you win, it is -120 vikings to fight in Norway and it isn't really hard to win 21 vs 120 on normal. I proceeded like this :

Close in to the first squad of enemy vikings so they charge you, then tell your knights to charge to the left and begin a flanking motion until you are behind their general's squad, and charge them, this way, the first squad will be stuck behind the general's one and they won't attack, soon you should kill the general and their moral at the same time making them rout. Fall back a little and charge the other squad immediatly. You should win this with a few casualities (I had 6 deaths) but they should rout pretty fast. You can then capture the rest of the vikings.

Now you will get to fight 240 vikings instead of 360 in norway.
    This works even better when you play with huge units like I like to. It doesn't alter opening setup any, but....units are exactly twice as large (except Rks...I wonder why?)....so they are automatically thrown together in any provence where there's two on default....making only one unit! King still faces 120 Vikings, but only one unit of them. You can just charge and damn the consequences b/c they can't flank you while you're tied up with one unit as they could on default unit size...plus you're king will replace his losses in a few turns!
    We are men of action...lies do not become us.

Question Re: Danish

I'm playing as Danes in my first campaign. I've got my build order pretty messed up in most of my provinces, but that's just part of the learning process. I also messed up and got into a stupid war with Spain just because I was bored -- There goes a huge chunk of my trading income. I have taken all of the Brittish Isles except Ireland. It looks pretty worthless financially.

I have two questions:

1. If I take Ireland, will I be able to make the javelin throwers? (I was not happy when I took Wales, invested in all the buildings to get a bowery, and could not make longbows)

2. I read something in another thread about a Swiss faction appearing at some point in the game. Since Switzerland is my main financial breadbasket, I'm a bit worried about this. When can I expect it to happen, and how bad will it be?

Thanks for your help,
    Gunslinger
    'People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.'

—George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    2. I read something in another thread about a Swiss faction appearing at some point in the game. Since Switzerland is my main financial breadbasket, I'm a bit worried about this. When can I expect it to happen, and how bad will it be?

Gunslinger
    I think you mean Sweden is your financial breadbasket. Switerland is in Germany.
    What, you never seen a Polock in Viking Armor on a Camel?

Yes, you are right. I realized my mistake the next time I turned on the game. Don't know how I got that confused.
    'People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.'

—George Orwell

Ok, here's another (hopefully more intelligent) question. When I'm on the defense, I spend all kinds of time forming my units into a beautiful defensive formation with all of the lines dress right dress, etc. I put all of the appropriate units on hold hold, and begin the battle. About one third of my units then immediately begin moving out of the formation, drastically changing the way they face, and generally destroying the perfect formation I just put them in. They do this while the enemy is still clear on the other side of the battlefield (So it's definitly not some kind of impetuous charge). Why do they do this? How can I stop them?

My second question is similar. Sometimes on the attack I want to group a large portion of my army in a formation and march it to the enemy line for a head-on attack. The army never makes it more than about 10 steps before it is utterly dissarayed. If I push the spacebar to see where they are going to end up, they are all over the map, and most of them have their flanks to the enemy. I've tried the ALT+left click and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience,
    Gunslinger

—George Orwell

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    Ok, here's another (hopefully more intelligent) question. When I'm on the defense, I spend all kinds of time forming my units into a beautiful defensive formation with all of the lines dress right dress, etc. I put all of the appropriate units on hold hold, and begin the battle. About one third of my units then immediately begin moving out of the formation, drastically changing the way they face, and generally destroying the perfect formation I just put them in. They do this while the enemy is still clear on the other side of the battlefield (So it's definitly not some kind of impetuous charge). Why do they do this? How can I stop them?
    Sounds like you are setting them up too close to one another. Units have to have a little space to themselves, if you set up with one unit in another's space then one will relocate when the game begins. It will move until it can stop so that none of its space is within the space of another unit.

At least, from your description of the problem that's what it sounds like. They can be pretty close, just won't tolerate overlap of any portion.

My second question is similar. Sometimes on the attack I want to group a large portion of my army in a formation and march it to the enemy line for a head-on attack. The army never makes it more than about 10 steps before it is utterly dissarayed. If I push the spacebar to see where they are going to end up, they are all over the map, and most of them have their flanks to the enemy. I've tried the ALT+left click and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience,
    Gunslinger
    hmm... so select the units you want, place them in the formation you want, and hold down the ALT key while you left mouseclick the spot you want them to go. Should work, they should go to the spot in the same formation facing the same way. It's worked for me a bazillion times. ALT and double left click makes them run and maintain formation and facing. Thats a stumper. You hold the ALT key while you left click?

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Thank you, that definitly clears up one of my problems. I was running the ranks right into one another to keep the formation tight and compact. I tried leaving a little space, and that cleared things up. It even helped a little with the problem of units leaving their position while moving. Maybe when they are too close, the uneven terrain they move over causes them to overlap at some point, and the computer changes their facing to adjust?

On another note, all of the experts here give some great advice, without which I would still be stumbling around in the dark. I do have one very small difference with popular opinion which has worked well for me. Everyone says to line your spear-type units up four ranks deep. I totally agree that they would fight best that way, and if a spear unit is on its own on the battlefield for some reason, that's how I use it. However, when I set up a classic defensive formation (on a hill with spears in the center protecting my archers, and swords/axes/cavalry on the flanks) I only put them three deep. With two units of spears forming my center front, this allows them to cover a lot more ground, leaving me more room to spread out my archers for better accuracy, and maybe freeing up one other unit from line duty so it can be used for flanking, etc. The reason I get away with weakening my line like this is because the AI (very wisely) NEVER attacks me head-on in the center of my line with a large number of units. It usually attacks en masse on a flank or else tries to send mini waves of single units near the center of the line. In most cases, my spears see very little action because any unit which gets near the center gets pinned, flanked, and massacred.

Maybe later in the game the AI will have units good enough to feel confident hitting me head-on, but for now it just doesn't want to tangle with my upgraded feudal sergeants while they are in a good formation, so they are mosly a deterent to keep the bad guys away from my archers.

—George Orwell

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Remember that spears get a bonus for up to two extra ranks (in most units the front two ranks fight, if you watch the units closely you'll see that the men in the back aren't fighting), so while the wider front has its advantage, you're robbing them of an important bonus.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I love using the Danish, their location is awesome for an all-out Northern invasion of Germany

-ZainDustin

The Sword from Anatolia Member Seyfullah's Avatar

Post Re: Danish

i would like to tell you all about my danish campaign. i just started and i m not past 1130 i think. i took sweden by making the vikings retreat. later, after training some more troops i attacked norway. using a perfect execution of flanking-at least IMHO- i slaughtered the vikings. after i built my first ship i discovered that the polish had pomerania. i attacked them but they sent in a stronger army and my inexperience here cost me an army of about 350-400. i tried to abandon the province but they caught my people and the ransom was too much. anyways a second ship into the baltic sea while expanding trade to england, i took my chances with lithuania and livonia. after i brought in more troops to calm civil strife the polish attacked me. anyways i defended ably and killed their king in battle. later they married one of my princesses and now we're allies. i also allied with the brits, exchanging princesses, and the HRE. the reason behind this: they are fighting the french and the french have flanders. later i plan on turning on one of them. currently i m second in GA points.

i am open to suggestions since this is my second actual campaign...
    more updates coming later...
    Last edited by Seyfullah; 04-15-2006 at 22:51.
    "For I wish my torch was not with me
    because of its light I can now see
    what is around me and tremble"

-from a poem I wrote

Danish are good early on with the vikings.
    But you gotta get some good troops I like halberd especially because I always take the baltic states and later on have to defend against that insedious mongol horde.

I like Danish because it requires a lot of skill really, simply taking over all the good rebel provinces and rolling in trade money mmhmm good stuff.

Danish, imho, are the easiest faction to play with. HRE is a paper tiger that usually gets killed by the French. At the same time, HRE is a buffer between you and the rest of Eaurope, so you dont have to worry about anyone invading your lands. You have *the* best province on the map, Sweden (Constantinople comes close, but it doesn't have Iron), cheap longboats, AWESOME infantry, easy expansion into Finland/Novgorod and Livonia/Lithuania, as well as the ability to hit Scotland and plow your way down to Flanders. And that's just the opening gambit so to speak.

The only downside to playing Danes is that you can't Crusade. Then again, if you actually could do that, the Danes would be even more ridiculously overpowered than they already are.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Whenever I first installed MTW I looked through all the factions and thought "What's gonna be the hardest faction to win with?" and I saw the Danes. They had one measily province, and was somewhat "surrounded" by the Germans. So, I chose them, and massacred the map with them. I love the Danes.

-ZainDustin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast