Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Danish

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

Default Re: Danish

With the Danes its simple. Keep Denmark well garrisoned to deter the HRE or whoevers occupying Saxony and rampage across Scandinavia. Then expand eastwards across the North and Baltic seas. Build up a trading empire with the British Isles in the west( Maybe add Normandy if you want to reclaim all the Viking lands :) ) , the rich Steppe provinces( Novgorod and Crimean region). Then, you will rule the world.

LTRFTW

MTW-VI/Early/Expert

Was trying to see if it's possible to get gold/gold huscarles before they disappear. It's tricky but it's do-able.

First off you need to hurl everything into Sweden. The AI retreats to Norway. Immediately set to building a fort in Sweden. Pull your king back to Denmark and make vikings there. Then, suicidal as it sounds, you need to attack the HRE, preferably before they build forts in their northern provinces. Spam vikings and the odd archer unit from Denmark and keep pushing at the HRE further south. At the very least you need to take Saxony, Friesland, Brandenburg and Franconia off them. These will be your money-producing provinces.

I've done this three times now and have usually enjoyed good success. On one occasion they stopped me at the Alps but had to cede all of Germany to me. On the other occasions I've cleaved straight down to Provence and a warm water port, or Venice and a warm water port and they've been so badly mauled they've sued for peace. The Pope turns a blind eye for 15-20 years, doesn't say a word to me.

Build farmland in your German provinces, and fleet production facilities in Saxony, Friesland and any other coastal provinces you've captured. DO NOTHING BUT TECH FOR HUSCARLES IN SWEDEN AND DENMARK. Once you have huscarles, tech for the armour in Denmark, the weapons in Sweden. By concentrating on nothing else in those two provinces you can get to gold weapons by 1194 in Sweden and gold armour earlier in Denmark. REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING ELSE DO NOT PAUSE ON YOUR BUILD REQUIREMENTS IN SWEDEN. Money will be tight but you should be able to have no build delays for your Swedish tech tree. You can afford to skip a few years in Denmark, enough time to add a church for extra morale perhaps. You should be able to get ten units of gold/gold huscarles out before you can't manufacture anymore. In addition you'll have as many or more gold/silver or silver/gold huscarles as well. I use these as reservoirs of replacements for the gold/gold huscarles. I place two gold/gold huscarles and two lesser teched ones in an army. The gold/golds do the fighting, losses are replaced from the tag-along units. You can end up with some mighty warriors this way.

NB. One of your ten huscarle units will likely be Snorri Sturlson, a 4* Danish hero. I've had him every time in my games. Hope this interests any lovers of the huscarle unit.

The danes can conquer vast amounts of territories if one is knowable of their "strengths" ie cheap and accessible longships and vikings. However the first time that i played them i was not and ended up trying to expand around the baltic, facing the Novgorodians, eventually defeating them, and then trying to expand all over Russia. However i noticed at some point that the Byzantines with which i was contesting russia had dissapeared, and wondered what happened to them, when the Mongols in full strength appeared...

That was a terribly desperate campaign in which i fought for every piece of land that i have taken, trying to tech up to arbs in the process, and unable at that stage to do viking raiding as many other kingdoms had taken it to the seas and were actually very string there.

Quite a campaign.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456