Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hungary

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Default Re: Hungary

I have recently attempted the Hungarian 'Kiev gambit', which is racing east as fast as possible, massively fortifying Kiev and holding it with Halberdiers and Arbalests against the Mongols (+2 armour, cathedral for morale)...it's worked...sort of, we're now in about 1287.
    The Mongols got repeatedly slaughtered in 8 consecutive bridge battles and are now holed up in Volga Bulgar, but this has left me with a long strip of land from Croatia to Pereyaslavyl, every province needing very large armies and fortresses as I have the massive Polish empire to the north and the equally massive Byzantine empire to the south. Quick-footed diplomacy and a lot of shipping has kept me from being picked on so far, but it's only a matter of time before someone decides they like the look of Hungary and Croatia...there's no one weaker than me for picking on. An interesting experiment, then, but probably not a viable long-term gamewinner. I always believe that, as Hungary, you have to wallop either Poland or the Byzantines fairly early, and I've had more luck walloping Poland.

Hungarian armies are still awesome early on though. Szekely, fast cav, knights, eastern horse...ride over everything that isn't already stuck full of arrows!
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hungarians are my personal favorite faction at the moment, armies are unbelievable early, then you get the chivalric units in high. Szekely and Avar Nobles are awesome units early on, Avars are equivilant to Khwarzmian cavalry, except you're not in desert and the requirements for them are much less, even though you can only get them from moldavia in early, they are good enough to make up for it. Plus you get joggaby and slav javilinmen, which are very nice to have against the bizzies. Even if you can't beat Kataphratoi straight up, you can wear them down w/ szekely and then tear them up w/ javelins, so hungary, in a way, is fully equiped to take bizzy down. Usually, though, I like to leave them after I conquer Trebizond and Anatolia, so i can minimize interference from the mongols from that side when they arrive. Meanwhile, your cavalry trounces that of other catholics, and it isn't too difficult to snag a few provs from italy (like venice) and a few provs from HRE. I usually like to leave Poland alone until I've dealt w/ the mongols, that is unless they pick a fight w/ me. My eastern expansion stops w/ Kiev, and I don't go any farther north than that. As for the mongols, I just load up Kiev w/ tons of halberdiers and arbalesters and any particularly outstanding units of chivalric sargeants, and hold the bridge for dear life.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Remember, though, that Volhynia is one of only three provinces where you can train Szekelys, the others being Hungary and Moldavia.

Blog Entries

Taedius, this is true, but I have found that I only need to provs to train szekely, I would rather not overexpand my empire instead of having an extra szekely traing ground. Given that they are horse archers, I don't usually have more than six or seven in any given army, and with hungary you still have other units to support them, like avars and maa's and seargeants.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Haven't you people heard of paragraphs?
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Achumungi-Yngilbuvvyurdmunt

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Stop being mean to people.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cazaric
    Haven't you people heard of paragraphs?
    Well, I think they wanted to make only one paragraph!

Seriously, it's quite bearable, don't you think?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Easy, guys. We're here to talk about Hungarian strategies, not criticize paragraphs (or lack thereof).
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Blog Entries

Oh, owwwww, my pride, he insulted my paragraph! Really, if Lord Cazaric dislikes my (lack of) paragraphs, he's free to do it. I don't really care. It takes a lot more than someone disliking my one paragraph to hurt my (lack of) feelings. Sorry Martok, I know that was off topic, just felt like saying that and officially ending it(hopefully).

Easy, easy! greaterkhaan, it was a joke!
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Achumungi-Yngilbuvvyurdmunt

Blog Entries

Lord Cazaric, same to you. I suppose I should stop trying to use humor, perhaps its a little too dry for online use. As I said, I didn't really care about the comment. Anyway, no hard feelings, right?

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

With Hungary, I recommend avoiding the Byzantines during the Early period since they have better quality units. If you want, attack them until you hit Constantinople then stop. Let be swallowed by the Muslim factions they always piss off. Take the POlish areas and when you reach Baltic, make Pomerania and Prussia your trade provinces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12