Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England

Crusading may be specially interesting at this point because the Italians have just been ex-commed. I, however, tend to respect treaties and not attack allies...

On Crusading through HRE, since i am at war with them, how does it work? Can i have passage and still get new units into my crusade? Or does it always behave as an agression?
    Or can you have both? Passage of crusade is a war action but you still have incoming units because of local zeal?

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

even if you are at war, the AI usually allows your crusades to pass through so you can have it it in a high troop concentration border province to drain away their troops or risk having little troops to resist an invasion.

it's a delicious conundrum that you put the enemy into.

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Default Re: England

This is a tactic i used yesterday, i was at war with france and set a crusade to Egypt through provence. Even though i was at war with the French they allowed the crusade to pass, i then invade next turn and the french are seriously depleated in numbers. (my Inquisitors had whipped Zeal up to 98%!)
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

how the heck did you get the zeal to 98%? that's unreal. unusually inquisition spirals out of control far before hitting that high and even if using cardinals to prevent that, one or more of the agents would likely be killed by rival agents.

soaking off enemy troops using crusades is a well known tactic though.

they always allow enemy crusades through for fear of excomm.

I think if you attack while the crusade is in the province, then the crusader troops will actually join in the fight.

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

There are a few Provs Around Italy that are at 100% Zeal, I have 2 5* Inquisitors wondering round, but i must adnit i've never seen Zeal this high in so many provs before. I'll get a screen shot for you tonight.
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

i found british fun there longbowmen are great unit i used them to my best advantage and i found them easy i took over the hole world and completed the campaighn
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Quote Originally Posted by littlegannon
    i found british fun there longbowmen are great unit i used them to my best advantage and i found them easy i took over the hole world and completed the campaighn
    Maybe you could post a screenshot and share your achievements

Longbowmen are a godsend as the british. I've used them to annihilate entire infantry units as they approach, and they also have a good enough range that they're rather effective against some of the heavier mounted units such as knights and order cavalry. In any campaign against armies equipped heavier foot-soldiers than you have, longbowmen are a must. I don't like to waste my heavy cavalry against such troops. Better to destroy them at a distance before hitting them with my knights rather than wasting good soldiers against fresh troops.

I also found Hobilars quite useful early in the game. They provide the player with a cheap alternative to the heavily armored knights of his French adversary. A few hobilars can make mincemeat of an advancing line of infantry. I've used them many times to pick apart the less-experienced units in my adversary's line and break apart his force before i move my infantry in for the kill. If you find yourself exposed, those hobilars can even stand up to a unit of knights for a short while, long enough for you to reorganize your line and prepare to defend against the armored onslaught. As the English player, don't underestimate the power of your light infantry or even your vanilla archers. They will play a crucial role in your victories early in the game before you're able to build up more advanced training facilities in your territories.

That said, even the best troops won't protect you from the attacks of multiple neighbors on multiple fronts. If you displease the pope, or if you expand too quickly without a mind towards protecting your borders, you'll find that you're rapidly faced with attacks coming from all sides. The best strategy for avoiding this is to first consolidate your empire. Annihilate France and create a solid state on the mainland. When you feel the time is right, move into germany and attack into the East, but always watching for the Spanish, who are likely to attack, especially if you are not on good terms with the Pope. Stay on good terms with the Pope. You'll thank me later when you can still engage in huge crusades, when most of Christendom remains allied with you and when you don't have huge armies of Spanish Crusaders rampaging through your lands.

Other than that, I have no other really good recommendations.

Normal England
    In early you are one of the lesser catholic factions. However, you can reap certain advantages. By conquering Ireland and Scotland, you get Gallowglasses, kerns and highlanders. The gallows and highlanders are fast flanking inf. Without too much armour. The kern is a jav man, and well used can wreak some hardcore havoc. One big tip, please remember to bribe Wales, it has 3 units of longbowmen at the start of early. You’ve also got the fyrdman, who only require a spearmaker for feudal sergeant stats, but only in england. oops, forgot hobilars, the old spam flank unit, as in very early, any horse unit is an advantage, u have hobilars.
    In high you have the priceless billman and longbow combo. This can be used to spank the knight heavy French a lot. Similar situation in late.

English tactics: as with many people, in early, I advocate a shield wall. This allows your gallows and kerns to shelter in and then flank to cause great damage. You may not have as many cav as the French but always keep a token force to defend your cheaper archers.

In high, I use 3 units, (honest.) bills as the wall, longbows to pepper my enemies and the ever cool CK. Obviously, I use arbalesters from time to time along with a few others but this works fine.

In late a pike wall may be used instead f bills but I still prefer bills, more frontage. You will however realise one thing. Bills can be overrun from cheap units onthe pin. This applies to all units, however, a unit like bills is one you don't want pinned, they are great for whooping cav ass 6 ways to sunday. Such power is not to be wasted on inf who aren't even heavily armoured. In addition, they aren't that heavily armoured themselves so aren't the ideal for that either, they are still nevertheless highly dependable line inf with 2 valour and morale bonuses in Merica. Of course, it goes without saying that you'd be a total idiot to ignore longbowmen. Such lethal weapons and long range are slightly armour piercing and are devastating when used correctly. It is also highly interesting to note their capabilities in hand to hand combat. Armed with an armour piercing axe, they can do surprising damage to an enemy toe to toe. Needless to say though, that is a waste of their talents

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Is it practicable to do any "development" with England prior to the conclusion of your almost inevitable war with France?

I've tried grabbing Wales and Scotland while leaving Flanders alone; I've tried grabbing Flanders and abandoning Anjou and Aquitaine and offering peace, I've tried not taking anything. War with France happens almost immediately and I am more or less forced to keep hammering them until France is gone or France has no border with me.

Just want to make sure I'm not going starkers.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

Post Re: England

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Is it practicable to do any "development" with England prior to the conclusion of your almost inevitable war with France?
    If I may...I found it useful to develop my merchant buildings, as well as building ports. These helped me to establish a better economy to weather the coming fight. I also spent money for the buildings required to create Archers, Cavalry, and Spearmen as these are the building blocks of your defensive armies. I also let the French attack me first, so that I could wear them down in defensive battles on my home soil. This tends to leave them ripe for a counter-offensive latter from the Aquitane, Normandy, and Anjou. It is a bit touch n' go I'll admit. Holding on to your capital is critical in the early stages; everything else can be sacrificed if need be until you stop their assaults.

Hope this is a little help.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I think you're right. It just galls me to be so strategically passive in the early game -- its the only time that His Holiness leaves you alone.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Smile Re: England

I think you're right. It just galls me to be so strategically passive in the early game -- its the only time that His Holiness leaves you alone.
    Bearing in mind that I am a reformed "papist", I can quite understand your frustration. It is no wonder that England broke with tradition; it only remains to ask, why not sooner than the reign of Henry VIII ?

Had a good laugh on reading this post Seamus.

ps: You can always postone the war for a few turns by marrying off one of your princesses (an ugly one mind you) to a French prince. Once the war begins at least you can rest safe in the knowledge that you have tainted the the French royal bloodlines!
    Last edited by rotorgun; 10-26-2005 at 23:44.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

As a reasonably good catholic and knight of Columbus, I am a strong supporter of the Holy Father.

However, were MTW real, I'd be doing MANY MANY Novinas courtesy of my confessor based on my responses to his missives. In my first -- discarded -- game, I began to wonder if I could produce a chapter-house anti-crusade (I'd been excommed again) aimed at Rome....

Good point on the princess and the frog(s) -- but is there anyway I can pass off some Scottish Lassie as a princess so one of my own doesn't have to "take one for the team?" Maybe if I just sent his royal frenchness a quartet of Manx choirboys

Smile Re: England

As a reasonably good catholic and knight of Columbus, I am a strong supporter of the Holy Father.

However, were MTW real, I'd be doing MANY MANY Novinas courtesy of my confessor based on my responses to his missives. In my first -- discarded -- game, I began to wonder if I could produce a chapter-house anti-crusade (I'd been excommed again) aimed at Rome....

Good point on the princess and the frog(s) -- but is there anyway I can pass off some Scottish Lassie as a princess so one of my own doesn't have to "take one for the team?" Maybe if I just sent his royal frenchness a quartet of Manx choirboys
    I praise you for your religous fervor; the Knights of Columbus are a wonderful organization. I wouldn't take this "excommunication" thing too seriously though. It is almost a given that England will be put between a "rock and the hard place" because her hereditary, and natural enemy is, and was historically, France. Send an envoy to the Pope. Kiss his Holiness' ...er...hand.
    Make some type of contrite offer of alliance. Then...whip France's derierre!

I must make a second confession, I am also a descendant of Gaul with some Scottish blood mixed in there for good measure. Perhaps someone had performed such as you have suggested above. (Sacre Bleu!) LOL
    In any case, send the quartet also. If he doesn't care for the princess, he'll at least have some music to distract him...oui?
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

Alright then.

Sitrep:

Time: Early, not yet 1100; at war with nobody, allied to much of christendom -- but neutral with France (took Flan turn 1, smashed 3 French assaults in Norm/Acq, lost Anj but regained on a rebellion).

Control: Scot, Numb, Wal, Merc, Wesx, Flnd, Norm, Anj, Acq. Loyalty 125+ save Scot at 105.

Forces: Half stacks in Acq, Anj, Norm, Scot (all peasant), Full Stack in Flanders (king, 2 arc, 3 LB, 2 Hob, 4 Hlndr, 1 Sp, 2 Ital Inf). Other Garrisons down to 2 peasants.

Money: 0 -- and profit of less than 100 florins/turn.

Pope: Threatened ME with Excom when Anj rebelled, still have two years to run on the ban.

Now, what the heck can I do to ramp up my economy? Once I've got some chink, it'll build fine ( I learned how to stoke it), but for now.....

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Seamus

Several options
    1) Conquer a few more provinces - Ireland is definately worth it for Gallowglasses and Kern, Scandanavia - rebel so no excom . Also give the French the beating they deserve - after all you are meant to be English. Don't worry too much about being excommed- check the age of your King, if he is relatively old, then sort out the French, you get excommed, King dies, problem over. If he hangs on, invade somewhere like Denmark with just your King - after a couple of goes, he will get killed. War gives you more money through more provinces and ransom - always try to capture the king - big pay day when you do that.
    2) Build some ships and start trading. England must rule the waves, so set up a province and pump ships from it for the rest of the game. Your navy should stretch from Norway to the Black sea.
    3) are you set on auto taxes - the computer always does a good job of maximising cash.
    4) 2 peasants per Garrison sounds a bit high - disband the extra for more cash.
    5) Are your governers the best available.
    6) You don't have any urban militia in your armies - have you built any militia buildings? - they help happiness and hence cash.
    Hope this helps - the English are always a bit strapped for cash for a long time, then you seem to hit critical mass and the money pours in.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Post Re: England

Hey there Seamus,

Along with the ships, which come well recommended by King Kurt, don't forget to build merchants, especially in provinces with goods to trade. These can be upgraded later to master merchants etc. I also built mines whenever possible. The initial outlay is high, but the investment brings good returns once they are paid for. I'm dreadfully sorry to say so old boy, but I agree with King Kurt about France. It is the quickest way to gain some capital to finance your building projects.

I hadn't thought about the militia, but he's right; providing stability and order for a reasonable price (I think the upkeep is the same as for Peasants) is what Malitia are all about. Tax rates can be played with to increase revenues also. Just make sure that the provinces never get above yellow. I have never tried to let the AI run my economy. It might be all the rage in any case.
    Good luck and good hunting!
    Last edited by rotorgun; 11-11-2005 at 03:30.
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

Well, I sensed that might be the only direction, so I renewed the war with France by simultaneously attacking all 4 French provinces. All 4 field battles went my way (1 narrowly, 1 without a fight). I have received my notification from the Holy Father, and have only one turn in which to resolve my siege assaults. Fortunately, only one province has a garrison of any size left and my biggest field army is there and only I-d-F has more than a fort to get through (and my Anjou rebels came with their own catapult ). Hopefully, I'll be managing all 4 provinces in short order and then, hopefully, I'll have some cash. Of course, virtually all buildings were destroyed so it's start from scratch....

Question Re: England

Seamus,

What is the status of acumen ratings for your noblemen? Are you putting those with good acumen in charge of your best potentially richest provinces?
    I know that this helped me a great deal when playing my last MTW campaign.
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

Yes -- though I have not been able to "churn peasants" until I could get a "5" -- most of the provinces have a "3" or a "4."

Just took all 4 remaining French provinces in two moves -- French are now defunct and looting has aided my economy. Sadly, I lost about half of one group of longbowmen with poor placement and an equal number of highlanders. The rest of my losses were very replaceable ones.

Now trying to get some ports and trade posts up.

Ditto to whatt everyone else have said on building up your economy via ships and trading merchants but whilst you are doing this and building your infrastructure up in the French provinces keep an eye on the Spaniards.

(I'd keep a large garrison at Aquitine)

I'd also (depending if my navy is large enough and I have ships in the Med) kick the Italians out of Toulouse (sp?) and Genoa whilst blockading their ports.

(This bankrupts them in a couple of turns)

I am playing England in my second campaign (hard). I bribed Wales on the second turn. (If I tried to move my emmissary directly to the rebel army from Wessex on the first turn, the bribe was over 4k. If I moved it to Wales and then waited till the next turn to actually attempt the bribe it was closer to 2k). I moved to take Flanders pretty quickly because it's rich, and I didn't like having my kingdom divided. I didn't want to wait 15 years to build a keep, port, boatwright, and my first boat before I could connect the kingdom via the ocean.(and that 15 years is only if I neglected all of the other building I wanted to do in Wessex) After I took Flanders, my forces on the mainland were pretty thin, and the French started counterattacking in some of my exposed provinces. So, I retreated the weaker armies to their castles, and started wiping the French out. I actually got pretty far before the pope spoiled my fun. The French were left with Toulouse (which Aragon took from them) and Brittany. I really wanted Brittany because it's a costal province and I could hold it with no other factions on its border, but I also didn't want to get excommed. So, I left it alone for 10 years, and then attacked the full stack army that was there. I reduced that army to about 130 men, and they retreated to the castle. I got my warning from the pope, and I actually withdrew from the province after looting a huge stack of money. I think I'll just let them build up for another 10 years, rinse and repeat. They are not an offensive threat to me anymore, I can make decent money by slaughtering them every 10 years, plus I don't have to worry about them re-emerging with three stacks of advanced units out of thin air in the middle of my territory. They should also be useful in that role, because once the pope warns me about them, I'll have 10 years to fight the Spanish, Danes, or HRE without interferance (I've read that the Pope can only concern himself with one of your enemies at a time). The HRE made some small attacks on me. I actually had to retreat to the casle in Ile De France until help could arrive. Fortunately, the HRE was just sending in 3 or 4 units at a time from provinces that had double stacks, so I was able to defend, and then make peace pretty quickly.

There are two downsides to all of this. 1. With everything else going on, I didn't make it to Navarre, and now the Spanish are holding it with a prince, 5 Jinnettes, and some other stuff. #2 I'm broke. I spent a lot of money making Urban Militia because at the time they were the best I could do for infantry, and instead of economic buildings, I was making spearmakers, bowyers, keeps, etc. Right now I've got Wales completely ignoring its economy in order to focus on all of the castles and bowyer upgrades necessary to start pumping out longbows.

I bribed the clansmen in Scottland, but it was costing me more in support costs (i.e. peasant peacekeepers) than it was making from farming income, so I just pulled out and let the rebels have it.

I've also bribed the vikings in Sweden, built watchtowers, and I've started a fort there. That should be interesting, especially since I can build vikings there. I learned from my previous campaign as the danes, that if Vikings are carefully nurtured valor-wise, and they are given weapon and armor upgrades (from Sweden) they make awesome troops, even against much more advanced units.

I guess my next step will be to try and find some way to take Navarre for the Iron and Jinnettes, and then make peace with Spain. When the Almos hit the penninsula I want to try to attack them and the Spanish in turn, just to keep them even so they keep fighting each other without either one gaining an advantage. That should be a fun challenge.

Good Luck, and any suggestions are welcome,
    Gunslinger
    'People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.'

—George Orwell

I am playing an Early period English campaign as well and intend to go upto the 1400s with it. Right now it is 1110, I control the four core territories of England, I intend to use Scotland as a training ground for generals and newly formed units with low valor, I own all of the French provinces and Navarre.

Like I said, I am going to send newly formed units and generals into scotland, kill off the army, retreat, let it rebel and repeat until I get a core army of kick ass regulars backed up by replacements.

Someone talked about retraining units, what is that? Is it disbanding a unit and the next unit of like type is a fully manned facsimilie? Or is it transferring green troops from a newly formed unit?

Quote Originally Posted by allfathersgodi
    Someone talked about retraining units, what is that? Is it disbanding a unit and the next unit of like type is a fully manned facsimilie? Or is it transferring green troops from a newly formed unit?
    To retrain an unit, drag the unit and drop it into the training box. You need the have the required buildings in the province.

Vince

Wallachian Battle Antelope Member Vlad The Impala's Avatar

As an addition to the previous poster: send the unit you want to retrain to one of your own castles, where the buildings required to train the unit are present, like Vince said. Then open the Unit Training window and drag-drop the unit you want to retrain into the queue.

Wow, I did not know about that and Ivee been playing this game for about a year now... Does the unit keep all the valor, weapon, armor, discipline, moral bonuses and its general stays the same?

One other question, when do the brits get Longbowmen?

Anyways, England, Early period, roughly 1190. I own Constantinople, I raised a crusade, staffed it, (sent my King in hopes that the pedophile would get himself killed) and then sea lifted it from Wales to Constantinople which was occupied by the Egyptians. Long story short, 3500 Crusaders against the 1000 man Egyptian garrison, I won.

A wrench thrown into my plans. Whenever you got your backed turned, someone knives you in the back. The Scicillians (who are really weak) attacked my sea-route to Constantinople, severed it all the way back to the STROG. And this pisses me off, I invaded a Scicillian profvince and the Popefullness told me to knock it off. So I did after, and then the Sicilians attacked my garrison on Sardinia, and the Pope did not Excommunicate them. The Pope is playing favorites and it is time for the English Army to make a tour of the Italian Penninsula....

Quote Originally Posted by allfathersgodi
    Wow, I did not know about that and Ivee been playing this game for about a year now... Does the unit keep all the valor, weapon, armor, discipline, moral bonuses and its general stays the same?
    Armor & weapons upgrades are tracked by the unit, so you don't lose them when retraining. Valor (and I suspect morale & discipline) is tracked by the individual man - if you retrain in a province without the valor (etc.) bonus, the added men will be "green" and the unit average valor (or whatever) will drop.

One other question, when do the brits get Longbowmen?
    The English faction can train Longbowmen in the High period, staring in 1205 A.D. It requires a Boyers Guild (+1 valor if upgraded to a Master Boyer), and there's a +1 valor bonus in Wales.

A wrench thrown into my plans. Whenever you got your backed turned, someone knives you in the back. The Sicilians (who are really weak) attacked my sea-route to Constantinople, severed it all the way back to the STROG. And this pisses me off, I invaded a Scicillian profvince and the Popefullness told me to knock it off. So I did after, and then the Sicilians attacked my garrison on Sardinia, and the Pope did not Excommunicate them. The Pope is playing favorites and it is time for the English Army to make a tour of the Italian Penninsula....
    Whenever you have twice (or more) their number of provinces, the Pope will side with the weaker Catholic faction. You will get warned, then later excommed, if you attack them, but they can attack you without Papal sanction.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

I loved playing as the english, because there are so many possiblities that you can do with this faction. Plus the units that you can get will be really worth it.

First thing that i did was to take an army up and deal with the rebels so that i could unite my island. from there i started to build forces up so that i the french wouldn't try anything. i mostly used the longbowmen and the billmen. When i had a big enough army to start conquer, i didn't go into france but put boats all the way over to where the danes are. The danes were easy to wipe out and this allowed me to take war on germany and france. from there it was to continue on to the east

I have taken a slow and steady approach to the campaign. Trade has been my money earner and is the difference in this campaign. In the past I have ignored trade but no longer. I have tried to have governors with at least 5 acumen and any with large farm incomes have had their farmland improved. Flanders is the biggest money earner so far, generating 2000 florins or more each year with trade and farming. It also only has 60% improved farmland, but that will change. I started in early and it took until about 1180 before I had a reliable income. In that time I had taken all the starting French provinces (and removed the French faction from the game), half the Iberian Peninsula (except Portugal, Cordoba and Granada which are owned by the HRE through crusades) Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Navarre. I am loathe to attack the HRE as they are my main trading partner, along with the Italians.
    Another thing I am doing is upgrading troops when I can with armourers and metal smiths. This does mean that there are a couple of Spanish provinces whose only job is to upgrade my armies, even though they can produce just about all the troops I need. I have identified the provinces that give troop bonuses and they specialise in those troops.
    I am also limiting the number of ports I build. This does slow down my own troop movements a bit but it also means that enemy agents are limited to those provinces of mine that have ports. I then jam as many agents as I can into those provinces and the surrounding ones. The agents I can see are targeted with assassins especially if they wander into provinces without ports. As a result there are now 4-5 4 star and 2 5 star assassins in my employ.
    The pope used to be a pain, now I ignore him and if I get excomm’d he gets assassinated
    "Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast