Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: England

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

Default Re: England

lol, thanks. Well, part of Egypt rebelled so I've sent him to the Holy Lands for his education. He might have a couple of stars before his coronation.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Default MTW:vanilla:Hard:Early

Well, weird situation I got into.

Had no trouble so far, really, just turtled/took potshots at people in kilts for a while.

Wessex: shipyard
    Normandy: Shipyard then tech for knights
    Aquitaine: Farming
    Anjou: Farming
    Mercia: F Sarge -> fast armor upgrades
    Wales: Bows -> Fast armor upgrades
    Northumbria -> Farming

Once I had bribed Wales I used those troops to take Scotland, then took time out to get ports and boats so I could blitz Norway and Sweden. By the time that was finished I had two 7 star generals, (both sixes that I handed Scotland and Ireland to), so I shipped them off south and did the "Kill the excommunicated guy" thing in Prussia (adding Freisland, Franconia, Pomerania, Brandenburg, and whatever is south of Brandenburg.

By now my initial troops were wearing thin but I had bronze arch/bronze F Sarge pumping out of Mercia and Wales, and FK's soon from Normandy. Toulouse and a few nearby points went Reb, so I snatched them, bribing a peasant with a bunch of acumen quills in the process.

Then I got Excommunicated.

Not a loyalty problem, I have no real happiness issues, and my war chest at the time was 130K so I could absorb the trade losses even after the Spanish and Italian started pecking at my fleet in the Med.

By now, the 7*'s were 8 & 9 * killing machines with "Expert Attacker" and the like, so I just killed the Italian boat and landed two full stacks of silver F Sarge/silver Knight in Rome, burned everything, repeated with the Papal States, finis.

Rome IMMEDIATELY popped up with two full stacks of advanced troops and a new Pope. Even Lord FitzGilbert, the hackmaster himself, couldn't take them, and he was now cut off from the sea and from Genoa. So I attacked Tuscany (Italian), to get him a way out. Ended up holding it, and the Eyetals took the Papal States.

Meanwhile, the Hackmaster Mark II (7 stars (made eight on this run) skilled def, expert attack, etc.) was cleaning out Aragon and Spain (Who up until this point were STILL bigger than me).

However, all this time I was allied with France, and I was now a little overextended and (in the Spanish conflict) was Excommed again. So THAT is going to be a problem, since I'm basically undefended in back... I'll probably have to abandon Tuscany to fix it.

Default Re: MTW:vanilla:Hard:Early

And the moral of that story is: Don't try to eliminate the Papacy.

It is far better to contain the Papacy in the Papal states than to wipe them out, as they will always come back no matter what. The initial Papacy that start at the begininng of a new campaign are quite docile happily adding to his ballista collection every year or so while calling for the odd crusade. Wiping them out turns them nasty...

I've seen report of people defeating ten or so reappearances and of the Papacy finally lying down for good, but have never felt masochistic enough to try it myself - so can't confirm if it works or not.

Well, it turned out not to be a problem, because I had an Emissary on the board and could just bribe every French army I couldn't reach and pull out my fleets from dangerous (read: Italy-bordering) parts of the Med. I abandoned Tuscany (scorched earth), dropped my 8* boys in Flanders and Brittany, and wiped off France in three years. Then, autoceasefire, another assassination job on the Pope, he reemerges again, move ships back into the Med, and land my 8*'s in Constantinople and Antioch.

No one had the troops to stop me. Conquest before 1230. I'm playing the Danes now, which is slower but apparently not harder... Gold/Black Vikings are pretty vicious.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

What is aways fun is using the money cheat to get millions of florins, and mass producing peasants. Then you send a massive horde of peasants to storm the globe, and you can usually conquer about half of it before your armies meet too tough of enemy. It is fun, and easy to do with britain.

And I have never been able to eliminate the pope. I have tried again and again, but he just keeps on coming back again...and again...and again. I have got him to lie low for a max of 5 turns with the french.
    Last edited by Motep; 07-27-2008 at 19:49.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

On a small blue-green and slightly damp planet the locals call "Dirt" or something...

Always quite liked the consistant return of the Papacy. With total control of the sea it's possible to pop an army or two with some newby generals at the helm and use the whole experience as a live-fire training exercise

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gNostic Heretic View Post
    Always quite liked the consistant return of the Papacy. With total control of the sea it's possible to pop an army or two with some newby generals at the helm and use the whole experience as a live-fire training exercise
    lol. Honestly, I did not think of it, and left 5 stacks around the pope as a safeguard. (and he still pulled a power force from time to time, and decimated me on auto-resolve...but not on the field...*evil grin*)
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Katanks version of taking out france in 3 turns is very effective and i like that the most.

you just have to be good enough to win the first battle.(not exceedingly hard, especially if you hand out the title that gives +1 command to a unit attacking toulhouse)

it does require a few adjustments tho.
    i found that when i attacked champagne with my kings people i had to find a good balance of people to leave behind, otherwise the plan didnt work. i think i left an extra unit of peasants, and something else behind in flanders(i think it was flanders)
    if you do not usually the germans attack you, and you have a real mess.
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 11-05-2008 at 08:23.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234