Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turks

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

early
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

high
    Lional of Cornwall

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

late
    Lional of Cornwall

dragonchr15

Mercenary

Group: Member
    L-town, NY Posted: Mar. 18 2004,22:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the English campaign which was a lot of fun but Im tired of playing Catholic factions. I need to know how to play the Turkish in the Early period. I read a few posts and some say attack Byzantines becasue you will have to deal with crusades if you attck Egypt while others say attack Egypt becasue they have rich land and can finance your war with Christendom.

I am not sure whom to attack.

Also, can someone tell me a good Turkish army? I read Horse Archers are the key and historically (if i am not mistaken), the Turks massacred the Crusaders using Horse Archers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The_678

Count

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Posted: Mar. 18 2004,22:17

Me I like to rush the egyptians for the richness of their lands. Also if you can capture their king in Antioch its a major advantage for the early game.

My army was mostly Turcoman horse and AHC(Armenian Heavy Canalry) until I could tech up to Saracens and Ghazis.

One thing with Muslim faction though is that you to learn to deal with losing alot of your men. THey just don't have the defense and Armour. But Ghazis are great for flanking and rears. Just don't expect to survive long.

--------------

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

MadKow

Man at Arms

Portugal Posted: Mar. 19 2004,07:01

Likewise.
    When playing the turks i always jump on Egypt and annihilate them ASAP. The chance to ransom their king is a bonus but the provinces you conquer are reward enough. I tend to leave the Byzantines alone, and dig in and build after conquering Egypt. I probably shouldn't stop and go all the way to Morocco.

The reason to leave the Byzantine is to later let them handle the Horde, and attack them afterward. This not always works depending on how the western powers expand.

An early attack to reach Constantinople is very tempting, but you really have to be good at using horse archers because that will be your main unit. Kats with a good general can be a very tough nut to crack. And if you give the Egyptians time to build up you will be facing hordes of camels in their element, the desert.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 19 2004,09:53

Another Egyptian attacker here.

The best argument for attacking the Byz first is to get to them before they are too strong. However, I usually find that a strong Byz Empire is my best trading partner after I attack the Egyptians and hold the key trading provinces of Antioch, Tripoli and Egypt.

You have to build a navy to prevent a Crusade from landing on the key coastal provinces directly by sea. That naval protection has to extend to the Black Sea to prevent a Crusade from going through your back door through Georgia and Armenia. So, you have to have fleets in the eastern end of the map to begin with.

When those fleets are connected, trading with the Byz becomes a treasure trove and a solid base for expansion. Antioch is making more than 3,000 florins a year in trade income alone in my current game. The year is 1192. I have 82,000 florins in the treasury, at least two citadels building and at least two fleets in every Mediterranean sea zone, plus some in the Atlantic.

With an income like that, let the Crusades come. I thoroughly defeated a German Crusade long before making that kind of money.

==================

Turks do depend on horse archers and fighting with horse archers, frankly, takes a certain knack and a lot of practice..

Some people can fight a whole battle with nothing but horse archers, but that's far beyond my skill level.

It's perfectly feasible to drive the Egyptians as far as the Sinai without even fighting a battle, since their armies of mostly peasants will usually withdraw. However, eventually you are going to have to fight them and they will have plenty of camels and Nubian spearmen. This is bad, because camels will more than trump any Ghulam bodyguards or Armenian Heavy Cavalry you have, and Nubians are much better than your regular spearmen.

I build a Jihad very early, let the Eqyptians re-take the Sinai and then declare Jihad on the Sinai. I also hire some well-armored mercenaries. The Jihad gains strength marching through Syria and Palestine. The showdown in Eqypt has me winning by sheer force of numbers. After that, I can afford better troops.

============

Phase one: Horse archers with basic spearmen, plus desert arches, and a few camels. Turcoman horse start replacing the cav archers.

Phase two: Turcomon horse completely replace the horse archers. Saracen infantry replace the spearmen. Turcomon foot replace the desert archers. Armenian heavy camels start replacing the camels, but keep some camels around. They're good for killing crusader knights.

Phase three: Ghulam cavalry starts replacing the Armenian Heavy Cavalry. AHC have a wonderful charge, but can't melee. If the enemy doesn't break in the charge and the AHC can't re-form to charge again, the AHC are in serious trouble.

===========

5 Saracen infantry, 5 turcoman foot, 2 Ghulam cav and 4 Turcomon horse is my typical army until I can afford better units.

============

Finally, it should be mentioned that Syria produces +2 assassins.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on Mar. 19 2004,16:35

Imperial Buffoon

Man at Arms

London Posted: Mar. 19 2004,10:54

Quote (Doug-Thompson @ Mar. 19 2004,09:53)
    5 Saracen infantry, 5 turcoman foot, 2 Ghulam cav and 4 Turcomon horse is my typical army until I can afford better units.

I tend to use something similar but with some futtawas (2) replacing 2 turcomans if I have them and 2 gazis replacing 2 sarracens. When attacking, it's worth replacing one of the sarracens by muwahids.
    Compared to Doug-Thompson's army, mine has a weaker core but is more mobile (gazis are fast) and has better morale. Plus, gazis are really cheap so if I can, I tend to have a couple in reinforcement as well.

Mouzafphaerre

Knight

North of Isle du Milieu Posted: Mar. 19 2004,19:01

-
    Here's what I have been doing:

In the first few decades, or even for a century, I didn't add to my armies. Just built my starting provinces up steadily. Once I was near 100,000 florins (farms provide great income in the Turkish/early provinces), I slowly started taking on arms.

I didn't wage war at anybody; neither the Byz nor the Egy. Instead, built dozens of âlims and flooded the entire Mediterranean world with them, starting from my own lands.

I tried to persuade both the Egy and the Byz for alliances, at the beginning to no avail because of my kings' poor influence, but it proved correct lately.

The Egyptians were too greedy and attacked me from the south, which ended up with them eliminating and me holding the eastern shore and Egypt for level 2. After my first victory or second, the Byzs accepted my alliance proposal.

Level 2 involved building up Egypt against the inevitable Spanish assault, which indeed happened after they customarily ate up the Almos --a rule without exception in my games Also at this stage, I started building my navy and filled the eastern Mediterranean parts.

I had to start over two or three times because the Horde blew into Armenia. That was inevitable death in my strategy but I noticed that the AI is cheating It plays as if it knows about 1230 and the Byz leave Khazar and Armenia empty I imitated that and retreated every single soldier from Armenia in 1229. It worked They invaded Khazar and we haven't engaged yet. ;)

I built all upgrade facilities available so that my armour is level 2 while my rivals' are either absent or partly level one.

Units:

Turcoman Horses are preferable over Horse Archers, while Desert Archers keep up pretty well too. You can use them in melee against routing or really downgraded units. Forget Bedouin Camels unless with really high valour. They route on sight of marching peasants

In general, Turkish/erly units are inferior to everything else around. That's why I didn't engage in hostilities with the Byz from the beginning. However, once you get to Ghazi Infantry and Futuwwas, they pay off well.

Make a lot of spearmen and Muwahhid Infantry in defensive positions.

Hth
    _

--------------

Mouzafphaerre is also known as Hayreddin Barbarossa and Mao Dun

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 19 2004,19:24

why not take on the byz early?

unless you want to make the game hard, take out the byz as soon as you are done with the eggy.

my HAs can run circles around the byz inf and shoot up that unit of varangs while they can't touch me.

then, my heavy mercs roll over the remainder.

the byz have no good production facilities early on except for const. and can be overrun easily after you take trebizond and then const.

popping out a jihad and letting the byz take it back and then hitting it with the jihad also helps for some nice troops and can help ensure you hold const.

once you have const, secure the rest of asia minor and throw the byz back to their measly islands.

I use const. for silver armored ghazis which have much better survival rates and then to build a grand mosque for spamming Imams who naturalize the byz provinces and help improve zeal for better jihads.

I actually find it preferable to build a load of jihads in a province, leave a border province weakly guarded and tempt an attack, retreat my unit to the castle and then launch all my jihads at it which hits the province in a turn due to my navy and then provides a huge influence boost for my new sultan and also give some kick ass troops for cheap.

the eggy are gone for 50 years now and the byz are relegated to a pitiable force wiht no navy stranded on cyprus and forced to trade with me while I make money from their homelands

Fragony

Amersfoort, Netherlands Posted: Mar. 20 2004,04:53

Isolate the Egypt King second turn, and kill the bastard. Why the turks are regarded as hard in early is beyond me. You can overun either egypt or the byzantines in 3 years.

--------------
    Testicules habet et bene pendentes

Nowake

would-be noyon

Bucharest, Romania Posted: Mar. 20 2004,05:45

Also, can someone tell me a good Turkish army? I read Horse Archers are the key and historically (if i am not mistaken), the Turks massacred the Crusaders using Horse Archers.

Use them for luring the enemy, but don't try to shoot a unit down with HA, they'll dissapoint you. Use Armenian Heavy Cav and Ghulams, Saracan Infantry and arbs. When late era comes, you're going to have janissary

--------------
    Staff-member at PixelRage.ro&TotalRome.com militating for EUROPA BARBARORUM
    ez name pr Fire

Mouzafphaerre

Knight

North of Isle du Milieu Posted: Mar. 20 2004,09:23

-
    Why I didn't take either before building myself up is because of external factors. The crusades suck once you get at the initial shot area of them.

I let them die off in Ortho. provinces or get repelled/weakened by the Egys.

Two years ago, I played Turks in high taking Byzs before the first decade was over.

_

--------------

Mouzafphaerre is also known as Hayreddin Barbarossa and Mao Dun

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 22 2004,20:31

Quote (katank @ Mar. 19 2004,19:24)
    why not take on the byz early?

Once the Egyptians are down, the timing of taking out the Byz is up to the player. The question was, who to take out first. I vote for the Egyptians.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 22 2004,20:44

depends though. although it may not matter to you, I find my self wanting to take const. for the income and also make sure they can't even produce byz inf.

giving the byz time to tech up is a very bad IMHO. You can pump turc horse with very low reqs while the decent byz units require far more so taking const. early would be the easiest time.

as well, I don't even need to disband my mercs who survived the egyptian campaign but I can use em directly against the byz.

Also, how can you resist getting a grand mosque up or having silver armoured ghazis?

spamming Imams for better jihads and produce tons of muslim revolts is cool and silver ghazis pulverize enemy troops and actually make it back in semi reasonable numbers

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 23 2004,09:57

Quote (katank @ Mar. 22 2004,20:44)
    Also, how can you resist getting a grand mosque up or having silver armoured ghazis?

spamming Imams for better jihads and produce tons of muslim revolts is cool and silver ghazis pulverize enemy troops and actually make it back in semi reasonable numbers

Now that's the best argument for Byz first I've heard yet.

Building a fort-keep-mosque-castle-fortress-citadel-grand mosque is a real pain. Don't forget that Heavy Jannisary infantry in the High Period onwards, either -- which requires a military academy and all the spear upgrades, too.

I remember the first time I used JHI. People had raved on this forum about how great they were, so I sent them straight up a hill to see.

The Sicilians charged them -- with 200 peasants.

The pitchfork crowd didn't just get beat. They evaporated on contact. You could have run a small engine on the steam.

I think the JHI lost four people out of 200. The next effect of the peasant attack was a delay in the uphill march by about 10 seconds, mostly to let the fleeing peasants get out of the way. The JHI then killed or captured about half the Sicilian army while everybody else tried to help..

Imans are great. The combination of high-zeal provinces they create, a sultan who boosts his piety and influence with successful Jihads and control of the sea is an incredibly powerful combination.

One of the great things about Jihads in high-zeal provinces is the good units you get. You get large numbers of cheap ones, but you can simply disband those. I get tons of Janissary Archers and a few Janissary Heavy Infantry with Jihads. I pick then out after the Jihad's over like gold out of a pan of gravel.

I play with huge units, so the more partial units I get that I can rebuild as complete ones, the better. I'll often run a Jihad from Arabia, for instance, through a province that has some JHI in it just so they'll pick up a few and create another unit.

dragonchr15

Mercenary

L-town, NY Posted: Mar. 23 2004,17:37

Thanks for the replies, they helped alot.

After much though, I attacked Egypt first as suggested earlier and had little trouble slaughtering their peasant/Nubian army. But then, I was hit with a crusade from France and Germany at the same time and to make matters worse, the Byzantines broke our alliance and sank all my ships. I reloaded from a previous point (I knew I was going to get slaughtered for I had no real army), and attacked Byzantine first and I am doing ok for now.

What type of army do I need to take on Byzantines? Also, does anyone here ever do a Braveheart style charge by selecting all your troops and double clicking behind the enemy and watching the action? When would such a tactic be recomended?

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 23 2004,17:47

Guess we should have mentioned that attacking Egypt first requires a pretty quick build-up afterward to be ready for Crusades, huh?

Sorry about that.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 23 2004,19:37

well, I think you should pull all troops to syria on the first turn and then attack the eggy on the second.

going with this, I was able to wipe out the eggy at around 1092.

heading north, I start war with byz in 1095 or so and typically get const. by 1100 or so.

I then clean up asia minor and consolidate into building econ.

by this time, I don't have a navy for byz to attack or chance for them to double cross me.

also, it's physcially impossible for any catholics to launch crusades at me in that time frame unless it's the spanish and they teched straight for crusades.

Perhaps you don't like toplay with my breakneck rush style but I find no problems that way.

for the byz, if you have strong mercs, then head on charge is OK but skirmishing is really the best.

If you have loads of merc heavy inf and cav then you can do head on charge and win.

beware of supa katanks though as they may signlehandedly chew up half your army.

use javs on em. also, if you play VI, hire some druzhina as they are almost always available and dismount them int 60 men FFK which are absolutely fab at chewing up most anything that moves in early.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 23 2004,19:39

thanks for doug thompson's comment but I still believes in that as more of a byz fast comment.

If I go byz first, my muslim brethren the eggy like to back stab and then I'm between a rock and a hard place.

they get time to mass darn nubian spears and peasant and desert archers which is not cool.

also, I might not be so sure of sultan ransom opportunity in antioch if I go after the byz first.

I love the guaranteed 10k or so of ransom as it finances my rushing strategy and later for economy.

dragonchr15

Mercenary

L-town, NY Posted: Mar. 23 2004,20:34

Quote (katank @ Mar. 23 2004,19:37)
    Perhaps you don't like toplay with my breakneck rush style but I find no problems that way.

on the contrary, your strategy sounds most intriguing and insane enough to work. But do you just burn your way through Antioch, Tripoli, Palestine, Arabia, Sinai, and Egypt in 10 years with just your initial starting troops? And how can you take Const by 1100? The game starts in 1095 unless im mistaken.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 23 2004,20:52

nope, game starts in 1087, the death of william the conqueror.

my starting troops are enough to take first palestine adn tripoli, trapping their sultan in antioch which I attack on the next turn for the ransom.

I use the network of inns that the eggy leave behind to hire some troops to be my spear head.

I then take sinai to trap the eggy sultan in either arabia or egypt and then attack him to get another ransom.

I always have a moving wall of best general leading merc force attacking every turn while my king brings national troops behind for sieging and initial pacification of populace while a contigent of peasants move behind to pacify.

This works really well and builds up my general.

The strategy does work. I played at least 3 Turk games this way and my most recent case had me sacking const by 1100.

I've perfected my Turkish start now and by targeting carefully ransom opportunities of sultans and emperors, managed to also accumulate 27k in my treasury by that time even when using two stacks of mercs try it, it works

Jamais Le Dimanche

Mercenary

Group: Junior Patron
    CALIFORNIA Posted: Mar. 24 2004,14:35

I attack Egypt First The Egyptian King starts in Antioch.
    I move all me units into Syria and Edessa. I attack from Syria into Tripolis, which is usually abandoned by the Egyptians, stranding their King in Antioch. I then attack Antioch from Edessa and Send half of my forces in Tripols back into Syria. This usually results in the capture and the ransom of Egyptian King for 10,000 florins give or take.
    If you spend wisely and build some inns, you can then lure the new Egyptian King into Palestine and do the same thing over again by attacking through Arabia and Sinai stranding their King in Palestine, getting a second ransom. This puts a heavy crimp in the Egyptian Economy.
    I then consolidate and concentrat on Byzantium.
    Occaisionally the Byzantines will attack in collusion with Egypt, so you have to do all this as quickly as possible.

Note than early Turkish units are all light, so build quickly to upgrade to Saracen Infantry and Futuwwas befor taking on Byzantium aas their infantry slices through the regular spearmen easily.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 24 2004,14:52

Quote (katank @ Mar. 23 2004,19:37)
    well, I think you should pull all troops to syria on the first turn and then attack the eggy on the second. (etc.)

The blitz katank describes is very feasible. We Eg beaters ignored the time element in earlier posts, it appears.

You should manage your own taxes, IMO, to avoid revolts, but I invade Tripoli and Antioch on the second turn I don't get the kings ransom as regularly as katank, but I use huge units. Maybe that has an effect. Maybe it doesn't. I don't seem to have as many units to spread around all over the map and catch the guy. When I do catch up to him, his successor won't pay the ransom.

Still, I grab Antioch and Tripoli on the second turn. Then concentrate troops in Tripoli on turn 3 and take Palestine on turn four. (Don't leave anything in Rum or Armenia but peasants. I haven't been bothered by the Byz yet.)

Notice that you've grabbed most of the Middle East before the Egyptians have had time to build a fort.

By turn five or six, you can attack both the Sinai and Arabia. None of this requires beating the comp in a battle. The Egyptians just withdraw because peasants can be shot to pieces by horse archers, and the AI knows it. So, don't fill your army with trash spears and peasants, which would be wiped out by Nubians. All those units do is encourage the Egyptians to fight.

Now it gets interesting. As katank mentions, there's an former-Egyptian inn within Palestine. You can hire mercs and have a big battle in Egypt. Or you can bide your time a bit, build a Jihad in Rum, withdraw from the Sinai and declare Jihad to get it back. The Jihad gains troops marching through Syria and Palestine. Then you add some mercs and simply overwhelm what's left of the Eqyptians.

Whether or not you can turn right around and attack the Byz is TOTALLY dependent on whether you got a king's ransom.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on Mar. 24 2004,15:12

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 24 2004,21:47

well, this is kinda relying upon my knowledge of the game engine but the AI sultan always tries to move from antioch to tripoli on the scond turn and thus if you attack antioch and tripoli, he is able to run to palestine.

for some reason, with kings at least, the province they can retreat from is the one they try to go to.

thus, by taking tripoli and palestine, he has to retreat back to antioch, trapping him for a guaranteed ransom.

I thus feel that the Turks have the best starting position in early, esp. on the higher difficulty levels as money is my biggest issue on the higher difficulty levels.

the ransom is also sizeable as the eggy sultan would also have a heir by then for a total of around 10k which is very sizeable.

he then usually gets ransomed to arabia and you can sack sinai to trap him again.

I actually manage to ransom the sultan twice and total of something like 6 eggy princes during a blitz once and along with trapping of byz emperor, got 27k sitting in my treasury even after the extensive merc use to gain the continental lands of the eggy and byz.

notice, blitz technique requires extensive peasant pumping to maintain loyalty and seeking out super scary govs even if they are dumb (you can always strip them of the title later).

PseRamesses

Duke

Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun. Posted: Mar. 25 2004,03:24

I actually play the Turks in the same fashion as Katank and in 75% of my games isolate the egyptian sultan twice. It´s the easiest way to start a Turk campaign.

--------------

*Fury of the Northmen mod*

Gregoshi

Entrance Hall

2 HOF Awards 2003
    Group: Moderator
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Posted: Mar. 25 2004,08:06

Welcome to the Org Jamais and thanks for your contribution to the discussion. May you have many more.

Looks like we have the start of an Eg Beater club bent on overthrowing the yoke of Egyptian rule in the region. You start by pancaking them with Syria and Edessa them up. Once their defenses are cracked and their king poached, your war with the Eggies is over easy. If the Byz attack, you'll have to scramble to meet that threat. Just keep your sunny side up and be hard boiled with the dastardly Byzantines.

Check please

--------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon

Have questions about these forums or MTW/STW? Go here: FAQs

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 25 2004,09:00

Quote (Gregoshi @ Mar. 25 2004,08:06)
    Welcome to the Org Jamais and thanks for your contribution to the discussion. May you have many more.

Looks like we have the start of an Eg Beater club bent on overthrowing the yoke of Egyptian rule in the region. You start by pancaking them with Syria and Edessa them up. Once their defenses are cracked and their king poached, your war with the Eggies is over easy. If the Byz attack, you'll have to scramble to meet that threat. Just keep your sunny side up and be hard boiled with the dastardly Byzantines.

Check please

The pun may be the lowest form of humor, but I still have to admit that was pretty good.

===============

Boy, don't I feel stupid for not getting $10K ransom per game.

Gregoshi

Entrance Hall

2 HOF Awards 2003
    Group: Moderator
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Posted: Mar. 25 2004,10:02

Quote (Doug-Thompson @ Mar. 25 2004,09:00)
    The pun may be the lowest form of humor, but I still have to admit that was pretty good.

Weren't you ever told not to feed animals lest they follow you home? Same applies here.

Follows Doug...

BTW, back on topic, I'm getting ready to start a new campaign and the Turks are #1 on the list of who to play. I got an indirect taste of their campaign thanks to Grothgar's MTW Interactive AAR game. It was very much fun and I'm sad it didn't progress very far, but I hope Grothgar's real life troubles have gone away. Anyway, it got me interested in the Turks. Needless to say, me being me, I will totally ignore the advice given here and forge my own path. Then when I get my head handed to me on a platter, I start over and do it the right way.

--------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon

Have questions about these forums or MTW/STW? Go here: FAQs

Crash

Duke

Maryland Posted: Mar. 25 2004,10:22

Thanks for the great tips, Katank. I'm still learning how to play the Turks now, looking for new challenges.

I have the most trouble with the frequency of Crusades that come through my lands, immediately followed by the GH arriving in Armenia and Georgia. Even if I beat the Byz and the Egyptians one-on-one, I get hammered by Crusaders and Mongols. It gives me a lot of new found respect for the real Ottoman empire.

Personally, I tend to favor the quick strike against the Byz, let the Egyptians fight off the crusaders for awhile. Once Constaninople is secured, then take grab Antioch and Tripoli before finally taking out Egypt.

The Turks are great fun, but take a lot of effort.

Hakeem928

Mercenary

Newfoundland Posted: Mar. 28 2004,15:39

I just tried the 'ransom trick' three times in a row and neither time did it work. Every time, I moved all my forces to Syria on turn one and invaded Tripoli on turn two, and every time they reinforced Tripoli with the Sultan from Antioch, and then proceeded to retreat him to Palestine. You guys must be special or something

--------------
    {insert signature here}

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 28 2004,16:28

You have to invade Tripoli and Palestine at the same time.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 28 2004,21:38

invasion at the smae time on the second turn is key to trapping the sultan.

this means you capture him on third turn and 10k ransom by 1090 makes even the expert level quite a bit easier as I can win most battles agaisnt crazy odds but can't just pull cash outta my @ss.

I think byz first is great and everything but 10k ransom that early guaranteed is too hard to risk losing.

also, the ransom + inss left in plaestine means mucho mercs with which to kill those crazy katanks that the byz field.

then, flood with imams, silver ghazis, etc. for a nice game.

I never have problems with GH when starting in early.

however, today, I forgot about the horde in my high turk game and had my @ss handed to me.

One ways to counter the horde is to have a gazillion Jihad markers around, retreat to castle and the launch all the jihads at the GH.

I was able to outnumber the GH with this tactic

chessy variation,

take the provinces, convert them to 100% muslim using Imams.

assasinate khan and all heirs to make em rebel. shouldn't be hard with 5* assasins from syria.

once rebel, launch a jihad at the province.

rebels owuld hand over province without fight if muslim and this eliminates horde with minimum fuss.

I find the jihad thing even better than bribing for taking them out as the other way is more expensive and you can't bribe them all reasonably.

Aelwyn

The Man With The Golden Gun

M.S.U. Posted: Mar. 28 2004,22:38

I just started a Turkish campaign. I started by attacking the Byz. Those Byz Inf are extremely tough when you only have spears though. I hate facing v7 Byz Inf with a3. The best strat vs them are Horse Archers. Dwindle the amount down as much as possible, then hit them on as many sides as you can. I'm on the doorstep of Constantinople right now, after holding it for only 1 year. But I just butchered 1200 Byz that were presenting a serious threat. The Byz are weakened now, and my alliance with the Egyptians has proved valuable since they helped me attack the Byz a few times. Once I kill off the Byz and tech up, I'll take on the Horde and then the Egyptians, then spread up on both sides and envelop Europe.

Well, thats the plan anyways.

--------------
    I will burn for you, feel pain for you, I will twist a knife and bleed my aching heart...and tear it apart. - Garbage

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 29 2004,10:19

Quote (katank @ Mar. 28 2004,21:38)
    chessy variation,

... assasinate khan and all heirs to make em rebel. shouldn't be hard with 5* assasins from syria.

If that's cheesy, my name must be Chester the Cheetah.

The last time I assassinated the Khan was -- now let me think. Oh yeah, it was last night. This was after I ransomed him and some generals for $16K in a battle that also killed off his heirs.

The combination of waves of Jihads, sea power to allow them all to be concentrated and a gang of 5-star assassins is great. Don't forget the emissaries needed to bribe the surviving rebels and get yourself a nice new army of Mongols.

I used to avoid taking over Russian provinces before the GH arrives -- until I realized that control, however brief, lets me launch a Jihad later. It's a fount of endless troops. Just delete the ones you don't want.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on Mar. 29 2004,10:47

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 29 2004,16:43

Quote (Doug-Thompson @ Mar. 28 2004,16:28)
    You have to invade Tripoli and Palestine at the same time.

Correction: You have to invade Antioch AND Palestine AND Tripoli at the same time. This requires leaving Armenia bare, at least on huge unit size. There's also a small province loyalty problem. Your in the 90s with the newly conquered provinces. Still, it does work.

Not only do you get $11K ransom or so, but you get more income than you can spend the next turn. Finally, the Egyptians are bankrupted by this opening move. Conquering them is easy.

Has anybody ever have a province rebel in the opening moves when loyalty was less than 100 but more than 90 percent? I haven't. I think the game cuts you some slack in the opening moves.

mbrasher1

Man at Arms

The LBC Posted: Mar. 30 2004,19:08

You should attack Egypt on the first turn. Plow south, into Antioch and Tripoli, taking his best money provinces on the first turn. They will not fight and you will have these two provinces plus 10k florins in ransom.

Be agressive with the eggies, you can capture their sultan twice for 10k apiece.

After that the Byz can be manhandled with the mercs found in Palestine. This way it is possible to eliminate egypt and take constantinople by 1100. Your goal should be to have 3 provinces ready for jannies by 1205.

My usual build strategy is
    -- cav in Armenia (AHC) and Lesser Armenia (Ghulam Cav), Turco horse (Turco horse) and Edessa for bonuses
    -- Turco foot in anatolia, futtuwwa/spies in Syria
    -- camels in Sinai or Egypt
    -- ghazi in Arabia
    -- sarcs in Rum (getting ready for JHI with master spears) and Paletine (unarmoured if going to attack Almos)
    -- econ upgrades in Antioch, Egypt, Tripoli

This lets you build buildings nonstop and shift seamlessly from era to era.

The Byz have no other source of good troops but constantinople. But if you attack them first, you will not have enough HAs to deal with their katanks and byz inf -- the only real counter the Turks have at the beginning. The Byz take awhile to get going and by the time they are getting UMs from upgraded provinces, you are knocking on their doors. You should be able to catch the Byz emperor once for 10k. By the time this is gone, your trade will be up and running, from Greece, Const, Antioch, Tripoli, Nicea.

The eggies do not have good troops in early, and are easily scared off. The byz have great troops, but can be countered by those weak HAs. Invade and have fun.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 30 2004,21:04

Antioch AND Palestine AND Tripoli at the same time.

No you don't. Just Palestine and Tripoli to trap him in Antioch.

Attack Antioch next turn.

This will still get you the ransom.

progressing a turn slower means you don't have to leave Armenia bare and has less loyalty problems due to being able to crank up a few watch towers.

Note: you really want to avoid loyalist rebellions this early as this can kill your early rush dead in its tracks and possibly lose you some homelands too.

Agreed with mbrasher1's builds except for me focusing exclusively on assasins in Syria and using Tripoli for Turc. horse due to valour bonus there.

Also, I tend to use Const. for ghazis with silver armour while also spamming Imams there to prepare for masive Jihads which are GA goals and also the Grand mosque can help get you janissaries earlier.

HopAlongBunny

Posted: Mar. 31 2004,07:26

I almost always go byz first. The few times I have gone after Egypt first, the royal family goes down fighting...no ransom for/from dead men

Malcolm Big Head

Man at Arms

Missouri Posted: Mar. 31 2004,08:08

From my limited experience with the Turks it seems that the best sign of an upcoming Egyptian invasion is an offer of alliance. Kill them early and often.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 31 2004,09:03

Quote (katank @ Mar. 30 2004,21:04)
    Antioch AND Palestine AND Tripoli at the same time.

No you don't. Just Palestine and Tripoli to trap him in Antioch.

That didn't work for me, katank. The Egyptian ruler moved to Tripoli and retreated to Palestine from there, while the other unit of troops that were with him had to surrender.

I guess rulers can afford good, fast horses.

No, I can't account for why the same computer program would give different results. Perhaps the places you invade with cavalry units makes a difference. I doubt that my use of huge unit sizes makes any difference.

Also, should the Byz be attacked after the first or second ransom is collected and what's left of the Egyptians left until later?

=====================

I devote Egypt and either Sinai or Palestine to full-time naval production. Otherwise, Crusaders can land in Almohad provinces and march on Egypt, or land in one of the Black Sea provinces and come knocking through Georgia.

Rum: Saracen Infantry
    Armenia: Armenian Heavy Cavalry
    Syria: Assassins, all the time.
    Tripoli: Turcomon Horse
    Arabia: Futuwwa
    Antioch: Trade buildings and ships
    Palestine: Ships
    Sinai: Ships and siege equipment
    Egypt: Ships and camels

Also, I build Ribalts and Jihads everywhere.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on Mar. 31 2004,09:40

mbrasher1

Man at Arms

The LBC Posted: Mar. 31 2004,19:30

Jihads? I have been a bt disappointed with Turkish jihads. I build the marker but how often do you lose a province to an infidel? Not too often.

I did notice that I got LOTS of decent base units -- desert archers and stuff -- not the 3 units or so common in crusades.

Do you guys jihad ex-Almo provinces? I just do not see how they can be of help, unless you invade and withdraw merely to get jihadi troops. Worthwhile?

Playing as Italy, you can get 4000 troops for the crusade by starting in NAples and marching to Venice through provinces that you have increased zeal to 100%. The Muslims have lower zeal provinces, and you have no equivalent to inquisitors which increase zeal until you build a grand mosque. This usually takes along time.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 31 2004,19:40

@doug

the invasion of palestine and tripoli should be simultaneous on the seccond turn.

the AI sultan stays put for first and tries to go to tripoli on the second.

your attack on tripoli forces him to go to either palestine or antioch and the sacking of palestine means that he goes to antioch.

once you attack antioch, regardless of whether you capture him on the field, you get to ransom him as he has no friendly adajacent provinces to retreat to.

I like to then take sinai to split the remaining eggy lands and get another ransom usually.

if obscenely lucky, you maybe able to capture him for a third time (I was able to do this once).

I find totally annihilating the eggy desirable as they usually still have a good stack left and can be annoying neighbors whereas the almos are far better neighbors.

katank

New York, USA Posted: Mar. 31 2004,19:48

@ brasher

I find jihads very worthwhile

Imams from a grand mosque are great for improving zeal. muslims benefit from zeal for jihads much more than catholics do for crusades.

I take Const. and build a grand mosque, then enough for silver armoured ghazis and head for fortress level after some econ upgrades.

Note: grand mosque worth it as it's necessary for military academy and having one ensures janissaries as soon as high rools around.

Absolutely spam those Imams they preach the glory of Allah and give you good troops.

Recipe for instant and plentiful army for cheap: (possible cheesiness warning)

build tons of jihad markers in a province.

make one of the provinces close to it rebel. (preferably a worthless one).

launch all jihad markers at it.

This is the greatest strength of jihads in that multiple jihads can be launched at a single province.

furthermore, if the province is 51% muslim or more, then the rebels would turn over province without a fight. (Use Imams to help make this happen).

I have used jihads to even overwhelm the horde. Besides, they generate tons of high tech troops that you can't get for years. You can disband the rest or send them rampaging to reduce enemies.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: Mar. 31 2004,21:24

Quote (katank @ Mar. 31 2004,19:40)
    the invasion of palestine and tripoli should be simultaneous on the seccond turn.

But that's exactly what I did, katank.

Maybe I was just profoundly unlucky. I'll try it several times and see what happens, then post the results.

Bhruic

Man at Arms

Posted: Mar. 31 2004,21:36

Don't think you really have to resort to cheese to win as the Turks. Although I was extremely lucky in my last campaign. I took out the Egyptians first (without trapping the Sultan ;)), then started building up for the Byzantines. Decided to go for the Almohads first, and control all of north Africa, and wait for the horde to distract the Byzantines. Well, 1179 rolls around, and I get a nice The Byzantine Emperor has died message. Unfortunately, he had no heirs, and the entire Byzantine empire goes neutral. I proceed to pick off neutral provinces until I get most of their territory (the Hungarians got a few). With an empire that size, it's pretty hard to lose.

But with that luck being said, I still could have taken the Byzantines if they had been around. The sheer economic power of the Middle East provinces plus the number of trade items that you end up having gives you a warchest that dwarfs anything the computer can try. You can afford to pay for armies that vastly outnumber the enemy. Even if, for some reason, you take more losses than they do, you can afford to. Makes the Turks one of the easier factions to play, imo (the same is true for the Egyptians, for pretty much the same reason).

Bh

mbrasher1

Man at Arms

The LBC Posted: Mar. 31 2004,22:56

Multiple jihads?? Jeez this org is a goldmine.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: April 01 2004,09:50

Quote (katank @ Mar. 31 2004,19:48)
    furthermore, if the province is 51% muslim or more, then the rebels would turn over province without a fight. (Use Imams to help make this happen).

This makes Muslim factions virtually immune from civil wars, if played properly.

Players retain control of fleets and Jihads when a civil war breaks out. Declare Jihads and use fleets to move them to rebellious provinces, and the civil war is over.

And you get scores of replacement troops, making up somewhat for the troops that rebelled.

Sometimes, the Jihad units have really low loyalty, though.

So disband them when the rebellion's crushed.

Successful Jihads increase the influence of your leader, which makes future rebellions less likely and increases troop loyalty. So your weak, rebelled-against ruler gets better too.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: April 02 2004,11:17

What I still don't know about this game amazes me, sometimes.

There's no maintenance cost for mercenaries while they are in a Jihad. (Same goes for Crusades.)

Turks start out with a mosque in Rum and could start building a ribat immediately if they wanted to.

After they ransom the Egyptian ruler, the Turks can build a Jihad in Rum and inns within Syria and Palestine. They can invade Sinai, then withdraw. Either the Egyptians will take it back or the province will revolt. Either way, there's an eligible target for Jihad.

The Jihad goes to Syria. Load it up with mercs at the beginning of the next move and march on to Palestine. Load up with more mercenaries in Palestine. Advance to the Sinai The Egyptians withdraw.

You probably have enough Jihad-generated archers and other troops to crush the Egyptian remnants without the mercs, but spare yourself the losses.

The next turn, invade Egypt and crush what's left there with a +2,000-man army.

Disband the mercs and go invade Byzantium with your new troops.

One important side benefit is that and mosque and ribat give a total of +3 morale. This gives a big advantage to Turcoman Horse and Armenian Heavy Cavalry made in Rum.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on April 02 2004,11:19

yonderboy

Man at Arms

Posted: April 02 2004,13:56

This thread has inspired me to try the Turks again, and I had some VERY unusual results.

First of all, I went straight for the Egyptians, and thankfully the Byz's requested an alliance right off the bat. Seems they were occupied in the Balkans from the beginning.

The danged Egyptian Sultan started moving south from the very outset, and so when I assaulted on the second turn, he escaped. Sadly, no ransom $$ to finance the war (yet). I attacked Antioch with a mass of horse archers but sadly was beaten back. Antioch survived w/ a measley 8 spearmen in defense. I captured Palestine and Tripoli immediately. The very next turn, the Egyptians sued for peace. I sat there completely befuddled trying to figure out what to do. On one hand I was already outstretched, and the Egyptians had a lovely 8 (or so) star general sitting in Sinai w/ a few hundred men, AND I had already captured 2 superb provinces (Tripoli and Palestine). On the other hand, sitting around w/ an Egyptian-held Antioch on my flank was NOT a very comfortable option. However, I had no heirs yet (1 year til he came of age) and I knew I was ahead in the fighting, so I accepted peace.

This lasted for an uncomfortably long period of time. It was probably only 10-15 years, but we can all see how war was 100% inevitable. Thankfully, the Egyptians struck Palestine when I was prepared, and an epic battle ensued w/ a grand Turkish victory (well okay, I squeaked by, but since seemingly the entire royal family was there, I was pretty darn proud of myself). The next turn, naturally, I took Antioch (killing 600 peasants is fun) and Arabia. Eventually, I hired about 15 mercenary units in Palestine to ensure that the Egyptians were wiped out. Basically, the huge advantage I had in numbers of decent troops ensured that the Egyptians would scurry back into their stronghold in Egypt and then the mercenaries selfishly volunteered to be my front-line assault troops when I stormed the fort in Cairo. My royal family humbly mopped up after all the mercenaries were pretty much dead.

So far, I've just taken out the Egyptians, and am getting ready to attack the Byz. I need to ask you guys something though. I'm building all the royal buildings in Palestine. Mostly just because I want to. Is there any disadvantage to this since Rum is the home province of the Turks? Also... no one really seems willing to ally with me, except the Byzantines. This is, naturally, another reason I'm not eager to attack them. I realize that a lot of the Catholics are looking at me as the barrier to GA points, but I can't even get people like the Danes or Almohads to ally with me. I'm not complaining at all. This seems realistic in some ways. But when I play Egypt and conquer the Turks (hence, having the same territories), I never seem to have that problem. Is that normal?

Anywayz, the Turks are proving to be great fun. So is this thread

--------------
    Someday I'll have a real sig here.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: April 02 2004,14:29

Quote (yonderboy @ April 02 2004,13:56)
    I need to ask you guys something though. I'm building all the royal buildings in Palestine. Mostly just because I want to. Is there any disadvantage to this since Rum is the home province of the Turks? Also... no one really seems willing to ally with me, except the Byzantines. This is, naturally, another reason I'm not eager to attack them. I realize that a lot of the Catholics are looking at me as the barrier to GA points, but I can't even get people like the Danes or Almohads to ally with me.

That is an interesting game. Glad you're having fun with it.

The only disadvantage I can see to building in Palestine instead of Rum is that Palestine had to be build from the ground up, while Rum already had a fort, a mosque, a horse farm and a spearmaker, as I recall. That would save some time.

As for the alliance thing, I think the AI doesn't like to ally itself with warlike rulers. Egyptians finish off the Turks pretty fast with a human directing them, so the penalty is slight. That's just a guess, though.

Doug-Thompson

Duke

Fayetteville, AR Posted: April 09 2004,06:38

Curse this thread.

Now if I play another faction, I feel cheated because I don't get $11K in ransom on the second turn.

Edited by Doug-Thompson on April 09 2004,14:00

WorkNeglecter

Mercenary

Group: Junior Patron
    Italy Posted: April 09 2004,07:25

Quote (mbrasher1 @ Mar. 30 2004,19:08)
    -- ghazi in Arabia

About Ghazis: I can't seem to ever use them correctly. No matter what unit I throw them against, they always start Losing badly and get chewed up. Plus, they stick in there until there are only 5 of them before they rout. I play medmod so I build them in Palestine for +1 valour, and they're usually armored as well. I put them in a wedge and plow them into Order Foot Knights or spearmen and yet they never win. Why do people love ghazis? What am I doing wrong?

Leodegar

Mercenary

Group: Senior Patron
    Posted: April 09 2004,07:45

Quote (WorkNeglecter @ April 09 2004,07:25)
    -- ghazi in Arabia

About Ghazis: I can't seem to ever use them correctly. No matter what unit I throw them against, they always start Losing badly and get chewed up. Plus, they stick in there until there are only 5 of them before they rout. I play medmod so I build them in Palestine for +1 valour, and they're usually armored as well. I put them in a wedge and plow them into Order Foot Knights or spearmen and yet they never win. Why do people love ghazis? What am I doing wrong?

their stats are (without upgrades):

Ghazi Infantry Charge:5 Attack:5 Defence:-4 Armor:1 Moral:8

that means they kill a lot of enemys (high attack), but get slaughtered quick (low defense/armor). to avoid that, attack enemies who can´t fight them effectively anymore.
    best charge them into the rear or flank of an enemy unit that is already engaged.

just try to pin the order foot soldiers with some saracen infantry or spearmen and manoeuvre your gazhis behind them, than let them charge

HopAlongBunny

Posted: April 09 2004,07:56

Quote (WorkNeglecter @ April 09 2004,07:25)
    -- ghazi in Arabia

Why do people love ghazis? What am I doing wrong?

Ghazi are fast with armour piercing and insane morale. Head on into knights they will probably lose; hold the knights with a spear unit and run the ghazi in from the side.

The morale and speed makes them excellent flankers; they are also great at plugging holes in the line, their morale will tend to firm the resolve of any units they assist.

With the added kick of a ribat in the province you build them in, or a leader with a morale bonus, these guys will attempt to do whatever they are asked; not something you can say about many units :)

Haethurn

Mercenary

Posted: April 09 2004,14:34

When I play as a Muslim faction, I like to roleplay. I pretty much try to follow the directives of the Qur'an, which forbids war with other Muslims. Of course, it also forbids aggressive war against non-Muslims, but I can't be blamed for accidently forgetting such a small and unimportant verse...mwahaha.

I go straight for the Byzantines, liberating Georgia and everything to the west up to Constantinople. At that point I stop and send my armies north to conquer the rebels in Khazar and the regions around it. I might also subjugate the people of Novgorod. Only when I have done that will I take out the Byzantines, and I never, ever attack the Almohads or Egyptians. I let them deal with crusaders coming my way.

katank

New York, USA Posted: April 09 2004,19:24

how did you manage that? No war with eggy and enough time to subjugate the nov?

what difficulty level are you playing?

I remember once when I went byz first. Before Const. fell, my muslim brethren were already lusting for my blood. Only timely and ample use of mercs saved me from the location between a rock and a hard place.

ever since, I went eggy first to get ransom and avenge my grievance.

I never had problems with the almos though.

ghazis rock. Use them as fire and forget missiles. They are almost guaranteed to destroy the target unit but themselves as well. No guarantees on survival at all.

use on flanks to get most outta your exploding missile.

when your ghazis start routing, then you know you lost. (happened in one of the Saladin battles for me anyhow

the only ghazis I've ever ransomed back were 1 man units.

They are great morale wise. However, they are really impetuous. Don't expect them to use them for an ambush. One second I'm not looking, they shot at and are hitting some heavy cav head on and are getting massacred by heavy cav.

HopAlongBunny

Posted: April 09 2004,23:16

I agree with Haethurn

Byz first is my preference; Egypt usually attacks me just before the Byz are exiled to their islands...no need to declare war on my Moslem brothers :)

Haethurn is far more ambitious than I. Everything North of the Byz homelands I leave until well after the Horde has been dealt with.

Haethurn

Mercenary

Posted: April 10 2004,00:08

Quote (HopAlongBunny @ April 09 2004,23:16)
    I agree with Haethurn

Byz first is my preference; Egypt usually attacks me just before the Byz are exiled to their islands...no need to declare war on my Moslem brothers :)

Haethurn is far more ambitious than I. Everything North of the Byz homelands I leave until well after the Horde has been dealt with.

When the Golden Horde appeared in Khazar and Armenia I just trained an army of about 3000 mercenaries in Georgia and sent them to deal with the Horde. They didn't capture a single province, and I killed Genghis Khan in like the first five minutes of the battle.
    Lional of Cornwall

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

The first thing this thread needs is a step-by-step walk-through of katank's Kidnap the Sultan opening for early. I'm willing to write it but prefer to let katank do the honors.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Doug-Thompson @ April 15 2004,12:45)]The first thing this thread needs is a step-by-step walk-through of katank's Kidnap the Sultan opening for early. I'm willing to write it but prefer to let katank do the honors.
    I most certainly agree with you on that it´s the ultimate opening move for the Turks. Send him a PM.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

thanks for the honor.

I will start on it immediately.

I'll start up a Turk campaign to make sure of the accuracy and even unit by unit basis for hitting eggy.

BTW, I have also perfected blitzes for other factions like the Sicilians against the Italians, French against English, etc if anyone's interested.

I'm interested. Go for it.

Sure, we are interested
    Lional of Cornwall

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote[/b] (katank @ April 16 2004,19:10)]BTW, I have also perfected blitzes for other factions like the Sicilians against the Italians, French against English, etc if anyone's interested.
    All strats are welcome. I think we players tend to go with our common play style most of the time and needs some fresh input, alt strats etc to excel in this game. Hit it Katank

very long post warning

booted up early Turk expert campaign to demo my blitz strat.

too lazy for screenies but detailed description below:

first year, cueue watch towers in all provinces and move all troops to syria except for a peasant token garrison in Rum and queue up spearmen in Rum completely

note: name govs immediately. Turks tend to get 4 acumens easily. I was able to get 4 acu for all province two of which are 3 dread

these I made the govs of edessa and armenia to make sure I don't need troops there.

second year, survey troops in Syria

move new spearmen to Edessa leave a peasant in Syria

two stacks with 1 camel, 2 spears, 2 HA, and 1 desert archer per stack

with another HA in one and king in the other

needless to say, put 4* camel to command the one the king is not commanding

attack palestine with the camel stack and use sultan to attack tripoli.

eggy retreats without fight from both.

then move peasant in syria to tripoli and move entire force there to antioch. move new spear to syria.

palestine stays put for now.

wins battle and generates a ransom of 8486 florins including the newborn prince for eggy.

upon taking antioch, name very scary gov and build watch towers.

move tripoli peasant to antioch

leave spears if necessary in antioch for loyalty, move king to syria and as many troops as possible provided no rebellions elsewhere.

next year, hit sinai with 4* camel stack, move king's stack to palestine.

Eggy withdraws without fight from Sinai

next year, move camel stack onto arabia where eggy sultan is trapped, king's to sinai. This way, we maximize potential of our 4*.

wins battle, arabia castle comes up the same turn they lose the battle and hence they get to retreat to castle.

assault next turn and gain control in 1093 along with 8117 for sultan and 2 princes and possibly nobles.

send all troops to sinai for showdown in egypt with peasants and spears keeping people loyal elsewhere as well as cranking watchowers.

I sent the sultan's stack into egypt.

apparently, the eggy tries to invade and has larger force but decides they cannot win and retreated.

next year, I took egypt and then stormed.

33701 florins 1096, eggy dead

this is not at all a good showing and demonstrates the lowest performance since I developed it.

I did far better other times

this time, palestine inn was destroyed. otherwise, mercs make process better and faster in terms of organizing forces and thus hit them in egypt 1 year earlier.

also, mercs I hired would sometimes include good light cav including alans that can cause you to catch the sultan before he makes it inside arabia or egypt castle along with his heirs.

thus, once, I was able to get money these times too and thus was obscenely lucky.

Note: continuously amassing overwhelming numbers to make the eggy retreat without battle and going after the sultan allows you to avoid ever fighting the fine leader 6* camel general which can cost you soooo much.

By the time I faced the sultan in Egypt he was 1* from the captures, yet he still commanded.

Now, once the lands are settled down, pull forces to Syria and then Rum to hit the Byz city of Const. through Trebizond.

Once in Const, hold on for dear life and don't give it up.

you may get the inn in trebizond which can complement your palestine in giving mercs for the fight.

note: going after const means the byz emperor often gets trapped in Bulgaria/Greece.

So go after that area first and get ransom for him landing him in the Asia minor provinces.

Hit that and he goes to Georgia. Then, he went to Crimea after I sacked Georgia and finally to the islands.

Once I got a navy, I sacked his island twice to leave him one island.

This gave me 5 or 6 ransoms for the emperor.

This is absolutely best case scenario though.

Anyhow, once I had the eggy and all byz continental possessions by 1105 and more than 50k in the bank despite huge merc usage.

the empire then grew to 1.3 million florins in 1170 with citadels everwhere and me literally not knowing how to spend it all.

Once you have the byz and eggy territories as well, you are pretty much set and the game is yours.

I like to go to Moldavia for Avar Nobles and secure the steppe provinces that generate lots of trade.

This would likely bring you into conflict with the Polish.

to shorten borders, it's best to then conquer Hungarians and have a four province border of Prussia/Pomenrania, Poland, Hungary, Croatia and own everything east of that by killing the Nov and the rebels or bribing them.

Going for economy with so many rich provinces is really insanely good and you will have cash beyond your wildest dreams.

Note: always build watchtowers and then border fort in every new province you get.

the +20 and then +30 loyalty boost greatly reduces rebellions, esp. the loyaist variety which can kill your rush.

this also saves on garrisons and can help you keep you momentum.

phew, long post

I guess I'll post my blitz strat series for all other factions later.

Outstanding.

Good job, katank. Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]needless to say, put 4* camel to command the one the king is not commanding
    Make the the 4* skilled attacker camel in syria the ruler of Rum (gives an extra star) when he attacks you have a 6* general in the first battle or two, after that he should become an expert attacker.

Of course mine started getting drunk the next year.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

that's true. I forgot to add that.

too bad in that campaign, he became not so useful when he got black mailer and lost 3 loyalty. I couldn't trust him with stacks for quite a while.

Holy that blitz strat works insanely well.... took out both eggy and teh byz in a couple of decade (though had a few close calls against the byz... one fight he killed my general but my reinforcement killed his general and both side were routing like crazy LOL both side charge and flee half the time then their is that 9 star jedi prince that killed 100+ camal murabin and just about every damn unit I had before I killed him -_-)

yep.

the blitz at the earliest can net you all the byz and eggy by 1105 or so with about 50k in treasury through some ransoms.

pinn and kill his katanks using missiles.

flanking and rear attacking camels work wonders too.

but still jedis can take out 100's of troops and turn a victory to defeat.

I really hope Rome fixes this.

Yes.... one fight they had 1 super jedi 9 star katatank and a group of urban milita... I musta fired on the jedi with my 3 group of horse archers (2 normal 1 turkoman) using up half of their ammo and the jedi still killed half my army before dieing wtf

trying hiring some mercs.

I'd like to see him survive fire from 2 mtd. x-bows while pinned by a unit of FFK (aka druzhina).

these boys kill jedis easily.

the FFK with hol dhold will last almost indefinitely and the mtd x-bows and javs or naptha if you can would surely finish him.

Okay, it's clear to me that in Early, it's best to surround and kill the Egyptian king first. But what about late? The Egyptians are strong, and there's a nice juicy fortress in Constantinople that would be great for training JHI.

The Mongols also hold a couple of lands that I'd like to have (especially Khazar after it gets the extra trade goods), and admittedly, Egyptian lands are still nice to have. But on Expert, the Turks just don't have the money to fight everyone, or even anyone.

I started by attacking Lesser Armenia and bribing Anatolia, which had the advantage of the Armenian rebels withdrawing into a province where I already held the castle. Byzantium took Trezbizond, so Byzantium looked like it was gonna be my first target. Build lots of Demi-Cannons in Rum for castle assaults (although I was really lucky that Byzantium withdrew out of the province and left me an empty castle).

Only after setting up some decent trade from Constantinople, do I have enough money for a bigger army (and soon a fortress in Rum), so now I can consider attacking Egypt or the Mongols.

mcv.

my strat is only for early. In Late, ally with the weaker of the Mongols/Eggy and let them seesaw. taking Const. and rebel lands is a great idea.

As for not needing to assault, always target the province their king is in with superior forces.

if the AI thinks it might lose the battle, it will not risk getting its king sieged so will retreat.

this is excellent for grabbing Venice intact in early with either the Huns or Germans the very first turn.

a keep with ship production right away in early is extremely sweet not to mention the crazy farming and trade.

Seriously though... the more i play the more I find turks to be ridiculasly good faction overall in early....

Just consider their troop make up... they have by far the best troops for muslim faction and even arguablly the most solid lineup overall....

In early with turkoman horse and bedoiuns you are almost totally uncontestable in the desert.... the almos might give you a run with berbers and saharans (and nerubian spera) but the eggies don't really stand a chance against you.....

while you get THE best spear (and another useful more spcialized spear too) in early... and 3 solid foot archer (desert/fuwuttas/turcofoot... though i personally think turco foot is best due to high defense and valor bonus)

Then let's not even start on the calvaries... ur the only muslim faction that get access to armanians heavy cav provinces .... although u can't get saharan you are more likely to get lesser armania (ghulam bonus) and or the stepp province than the other factions.... with the v2 AHC and ghulams u acturally have BETTER heavy cav than the catholics in early and could still match them reasonablly in high.... all the while you have a huge horse archer advantage and better spearman too....

In high you get even better with JHIs.... how fair :P ... the almos and eggies are just starting to GET horse archers while u already run rampant with them (and probably have v2 turcoman by now) and then eggy get 2 other unit 1 is totally junk (abyssian guard) the other is a decent unit (mamulek horse) but nothing spetacular either...

come to think of it.... how the **** is eggy suppose to be a strong faction.... they have far inferior troops than BOTH the turks/almos/byz in early (their 3 closest neighbor -_-) ... espically the turks but the almos have far better infrastructure and access to good lands with iron AND get probably teh best generals/heirs except for the byzantians....

v2 AHC are actually stronger than v0 CKs with 1 more defense.

I like turcomans for missile dueling but the futuwwas are so much better for fighting.

in High, janny inf is the way to go.

Eggy are fairly strong due to richness of lands.

it's easy to grab Syria off the Turks the first turn and then suddenly, you have 2 borders on that front instead of 6 and your sultan which is previously vulnerable, is now in an ideal position to forward strike into Edessa.

Also, they get Nizaris which are cool and the combo of pumped up saharans and bedouin camels are the cheapest all cav force in the game and is amazingly effective.

also, they can destroy the Turks in short order and get the AHC provinces.

Hi katank

I do enjoy your tips but must question your last point on AHC and CK's. How are v2 AHC stronger than v2 CK's?

sorry, meant to type v0CKs

if not super upgraded or from Toulouse, the catholics still don't have better than v0 CKs and V2 AHC actually have 1 more defense than v0 CKs although less armor IIRC and one on one, you keep your heavy cav advantage for a portion of high at least

Cheers katank, thought I was going mad

As you say valour bonuses will alter the position

Yeah katank but that's assuming ur playing the AI :P .... in truth it'll take the eggies a while to get much saharan (iirc the fastest province to get it is egypt and that's still 4 turns before u can start... that's about how long the turks can start producing AHC and turcoman horse....) cavs and before that they are incrediablly vunerable to the mass horse archer hell of the turks.... having played both sides I find taking and holding syria early on is acturally harder than the turk blitz due to ur inferior units at the start. (though after you take syria ur really starting to get the advantage as now they have no more bedoiuns but still i find their first few counter attack to be scary)

I like tucoman better because they acturally survive the attacks :/.... even while flanking the futuwwas usually die in droves let alone in the frontal attack.... I like how you can use ur turcoman as a front line with some spears and they can basicallly handle everything reasonablly well allowing you time to flank with ur AHCs... turcoman holds the line MUCH MUCH better and easier than trying to flank with futuwwas .... (not to meantion there aren't any province with valor bonus to futuwaas :P

I lost a few futuwwas but I wouldn't say dying in droves.

futuwwas I like just because of the fact that they can act as shock inf.

I don't quite feel comfortable with using archers as line inf except for jannies although turcomens do seem they can hold it pretty well.

they wouldn't kill much though, unlike the futuwwa. they all have their uses.

Eggy in the very early game is usually weaker than the Turks but some tactics and abuse of your BG unit will often get you to kill the Turks rather easily and then you can either carry the momentum into the Byz or give it a little break to tech up and regroup.

bringing out saracens and AHC would be good although every turn means another Byz inf which are nasty and I don't have the patience to tech up all my places before attacking so I usually go with the former route.

I have to vote for Futawwas over Turcoman Foot.

Futawwas aren't as easy to control, and they also have a weaker defense. However, there's a five-point difference in their morale and Turcoman Foot. Futawwas may die, but they don't rout. Turcoman Foot won't die as quickly -- until the rout begins, and then they could get massacred.

Add that to the Futawwa's much better melee value.

yay for futuwwas

I frankly only flank or rear attack with them so they rarely get hit. 4 attack they have is equal to CMAA and JIs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast