Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sicily

Default Re: Sicily

Hello everybody,

The sicilians are by far my favorite faction. I made some mods to reflect more accurately their possessions, they start with Naples only and have to get Sicily and Malta as their homelands.
    But I´m puzzled by the way the game handles the GA points for the crusades. It says the points are counted between 1095-1204. By 1150 I had all the crusading objectives, but found by 1206 with less GA points than I had when I played a strange GA game crusanding to palestine, losing it (on purpose), crusading again, losing again, crusading, losing and so on.
    Is this a bug, can it be because the mod I made (I just altered starpos/EARLY and regowner_table)? Note that the homelands GA points are counted as predicted by my mod.
    How are the points for crusading are counted?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusman
    Hello everybody,

The sicilians are by far my favorite faction. I made some mods to reflect more accurately their possessions, they start with Naples only and have to get Sicily and Malta as their homelands.
    But I´m puzzled by the way the game handles the GA points for the crusades. It says the points are counted between 1095-1204. By 1150 I had all the crusading objectives, but found by 1206 with less GA points than I had when I played a strange GA game crusanding to palestine, losing it (on purpose), crusading again, losing again, crusading, losing and so on.
    Is this a bug, can it be because the mod I made (I just altered starpos/EARLY and regowner_table)? Note that the homelands GA points are counted as predicted by my mod.
    How are the points for crusading are counted?
    All GA points are only counted on the designated dates (1100, 1125, 1150, etc.).

For example: Say you took Palestine via Crusade in 1152, lost it in 1157, and then retook it with another Crusade in 1163. Even though you successfully Crusaded to Palestine twice, you're still only going to get GA points for them once the next time the GA points are counted (which would be 1175).
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Thanks for the info Martok,
    I made some calculations and the results are in accordance with the way you just described. The discrepancy between the tow games of mine are due to previous miscalculation.
    I thought it might be counted this way but disregarded it because "it cannot be that simple" .

anyway thank you.

You're welcome. Just happy to help!

From my current game, which is a bit different...

Using XL Mod

Gamelong allies.. Eggys

Interesting facets..

Almos conquer nearly conquer Spain, and fall apart due to CW, England conquers France & Spain and are THE naval power in Atlantic, West Med

Novrogrod Conquers All of Russia/Germany/Sweden/Danes

The English/Novos form the North Superblock

My game: I planned to consistently backstab the Byz to grab land off of them, which I did, so I tool out the Byz in Europe, while my allies (Eggys) took them out of Asia Minor

I then turned around & took out the Serbs (who destroyed the Hungarians/Ventetians). After taking out the serbs and nearly taking all of Italy... I turned around and took out the Cumans and so now I have all the Balkans as well

I am thinking I should beat up on the Papacy to take Tuscany & Corsica, that way the only thing left is Milan/Genoa (English) and Rome (Papacy). I think I will also take out the Bohemians and take Austria/Hungary

Me and the Eggys form the Med Superpowerblock

The Eggys also conquered north africa after the Almos fell apart..

Eggys(Asia Minor/North Africa)
    Me (Most of Italy/Balkans)
    English (France/Spain)
    Novo (Russia/Germany/Scandinavia)

I like the trade-faction game Sicily, denmark and Italy offer, and sicily is probably one of the best factions for a trade empire. No one will bother you if you leave them alone.
    The thing is, your king's influence will drop over time, as it seems that warfare is the big thing with trade as it's nutrition.

Still, for the sicilian game I began last night I decided to be a good Catholic and concentrate on trade first and then go on the crusades. I don't want wars with my trading partners except the egyptians who have been so heretical as to convert the holy land to their mockery of a religion ;)
    Tunisia always rebels at some point during the spanish wars and that's when I take it. Basically, I'll be a crusader-pirate. If a mainland faction does me injury, I'll DESTROY one of his coastal provinces so he'll learn to behave himself like a good christian.

for buildings, early in, sicily just makes ships and economical, political and episcopal buildings, Malta gets the training centres. Sicily also has the Inn and agent buildings. any conquest on the main land will be assigned to produce more troops, and Malta will shift to a more naval role (ships, ships, ships).

For crusades I train some troops, a three-quarter stack of foot and horse (archers, spears/sarges and mounted sergeants) and the rest will be mercenaries. trading factions can make great use of mercs for the crusades and the odd retaliation against those factions that insult the great kingdom of the two sicilies (which no one has done as yet). Crusades will be preceded by a mass-pilgrimage of catholic bishops to the target province.
    The wealth of Sicily can easily hire all that an inn has to offer, and with their naval routes can deploy them rapidly wherever they are required. If the enemy province is taken, they can either march on into the hinterland to occupy the enemy armies who would like to reconquer their lost grounds, or are disbanded as soon as they are no longer needed (after which the economy surges once more). I find it good fun to surprise my enemies in that way, they invade one of your backwaters because they found you have minimal garrisons, and then you counter attack with a full stack that came from nowhere (in fact, it came from the taverns, inns, bawdy houses and neighbourhoods of ill-repute).

Now, I hold besides Malta, sciliy and Tunisia Antioch (successful crusade), Edessa (secured the flank) and Syria (target of opportunity I can not hold, the eggies attacked and I retried the battle two times so far, my 4-star prince and his armies were defeated in each attempt by the 8-star Amir al-Din).
    My allies the Turkish are reduced to Tripoli by their wars with the egyptians and the byzantines, and it is only my faithfull friendship to their Sultan that allows them to survive the bi-annual invasion of the egyptians. I think I'll keep it that way for now. I can gain little from the Turks now, as I can't ransom their sultans and princes if I take their last holding.
    My second crusade is getting ready to fall on palestine.

So far, the Pope, who has conquered Naples in the 6th year of the game, has been a good ally... not at all the prick he usually is to the italian factions... I mean, even if you are a good catholic italian who concentrates on trade and war with heretics, he will attack you! probably only if the pope has the "ambitious" vice... He seems hell-bent on Naples and Tuscany, whatever era you start.

The Italians are still my friends (and in-laws) and too occupied with their war against Germany to be their usual offensive and treacherous selves. They are, as always, the only real rival if it comes to naval prowess, but I'll indulge them, I'm preoccupied with bringing christianity back to it's cradle. Let the European landlubbers slaughter themselves, as soon as the holy land is mine, the spoils will be taken by myself.

and a question about ships, what is the advantage of dromons? are they more effective trading ships? I mean, galleys are safer ships to have as they have defence, which dromons don't have. Dromons can attack, they can't defend, so I prefer galleys rather than dromons, cheaper too.

Dromons have a slightly lower support cost (15 florins, as opposed to the galley's 20), but their main advantage is their speed -- it allows them to more easily evade enemy ships, despite their 0 defense rating.

That said, I usually use galleys as my mainstay vessel as well. I only add dromons to fleets to beef them up a little.

Both dromons and galleys are coastal vessels - the best by far choice economically and militarily are Caravels once they become available.

Indeed galleys have more staying power and would benefit by the addition of few dromons in a fleet stack.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=Master Young Phoenix;1976283]and a question about ships, what is the advantage of dromons? QUOTE]

Main benefit of dromon is ability to catch enemy one on yours trade route. Galleys are to slow for this and may take them many years to unblock you trade. If you mix galleys and dromons in a same stack I belive stack speed will be of the slowest ship…
    Last edited by cori; 04-20-2011 at 23:10.

Hemamoto Acheyoshi Member Hemant A's Avatar

Hello dear friends.. I hope there are brave warriors still slugging it out in Medieval Total War....... I loved Sicily after watching the Godfather series. Now I relish the opportunity to play as them in MTW:Gold Edition. I started in the early period. Here iam blogging about a brief account of my ongoing campaign

BY observation of the early map I decided on my short term goal to dominate the Mediterranean Sea. Though with only a 1 ship fleet so that I can grow a large treasury early on. Decided only on fighting the Byzantines in Naples and Greece. I grew strong in trade and won attrition victories against the Byzantines and wrested Kiev, Moldavia and Bulgaria. All iz well till now. HAd allies with Only Aragon , Denmark and the Pope. Poor diplomacy and Bad understanding of religion would cost me dearly for the next 100years this i realized in 1199AD. Rhodes , Cyprus all fell giving me all the Ship building provinces i wanted.

THe great sucker punch comes when I opportunistically took advantage of the Pope excommunicating Italy to lanch a Crusade against them and to initiate a Naval war with Italy(because they too had 1 ship fleets on my naval squares . I understood from the Pope that Italy fought France and GErmany and that bought about their excommunication. But the Balkan catolics were eyeing the Black sea and they attacked me (Both Poland and Hungary). To my horror my slow response to their offensive resulted in MY EXCOMMUNICATION. and the erosion of all Alliances with me. I was left with Enemy states all around me and then once my king died(no more excommunication. TO be frank nobody Dared to crusade against me) I married my young King to a beautiful Fraulein who was touring Naples. THis secured my long term alliance with Germany. Aragon and Spain followed suit but all my overtures to Hungary and Poland were turned down. Everytime they attacked K,M and G i got the EXCOM warning. :-(

In the Mediterranean Sea i built up my Home Islands to superior technology to safely churn out high level troops. I didnt realize until 1220AD that Hospitaliers are A crusading only unit. whereas i built all my Crusades from Naples :-D. But I decided that Pope will scream all he wants for a crusade on the holy Lands but with hostile factions around It I deemed it a waste of Florins. I chose on the province hopping crusade and decided to eliminate the Byzantines from Constantinople once and for all. for the time 1133-1190 they remained a useful buffer b/w me and the muslims (esp Turks) . I took pride in sending a supporting army to Cyrenaica to aid the Spanish in their African Crusade to Jerusalem. This angered the Egyptians and my pride took a serious beating when their Dhows sank most of my experienced galleys. Still the SPanish Crusade failed and i had to ransom back my army to rhodes. The reply of that battle I can give you on request.

CIvil war amongst the Spanish meant that I could sweep Cyrenaica, Egypt for myself. A huge number of priests in all provinces kept loyalty. I deduced correctly that Faithful governors alone can keep Provinces loyal without a large garrison. It freed a lot of troops to send to Africa where the Egyptian Jihads await me. Now the prevalence of Catholics in the Holy land coupled with continuing defeats for their JIhad have left their sultan with NO INFLUENCE. Now(1230) the holy land is controlled by arab rebels with top of the line troops. The spaniards took advantage of the revolt to seize Algeria and TUnisia. But they are my allies so i repose faith in them.

After the fall of Constantinople and the death of the Emperor the remote province of Khazar fell under rebel control and they never bothered my inferior infantry. I decided to encircle Poland- HUngary by going all the way upto FInland. But my new ally the NOvogrod prince took FInland with me but gained control of it. THis decision to march upto Finland conquering Lithunaia, Pereysslavi and Ryazan. But indoing so I OPENED myself upto the horrifying spectre of a huge Mongol invasion in 1230AD. Several stacks of tatars appeared in Khazar (Turkish occupied) . 2 turns later an army of 1400 which was there {including the Crimean contigent which I defeated in 1230AD} where completely annihilated. My priest in Georgia{ nearest Turkish province} informed that no survivors remained.

Iam faced with the trifle of evcuating all my men from the russian states and going on to Kiev. Now i stand poised at Kiev facing an imminent double bridge River battle should the Tatars invade from Khazar.......
    is all this general did for a decade. Now He has come of age and is ready to . All of you

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, Hemant A!

Sicily is fun, you can get involved all over the map.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I find them to be good at bribing took out 2 factions by just doing this.I am still not fineshed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12