Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments and suggestions

Thanks, Doug. Length...whatever you need to get all the information and credits in without losing anything. The character limit per post is very generous now because it's been expanded several times due to my own guides, so if you need 100 pages it can be done within the existing topic layout.

I'll look at those threads when I can.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Egyptian early era guide is in, at the end of the Egyptian tread. It is shorter than the original version.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

HRE is in.

Great, thanks. Both summeries are now edited into place.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Hungary's done.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If made a summarized version of the horse archer thread Doug mentioned. It is posted in the entrance hall: How to use Horse Archers
    Feel free to move it here (that what is meant for ).

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

byzantines are done.

Ludens: Looking forward to that HA thread. I'll check it out now.

Byz and Hungary updated, thanks.

I've requested your HA compilation be moved over, Ludens. I'll look at it as soon as I can, it may be better suited as an appendix in the unit guide, a simple cut and paste with the credit going to everyone who isn't me. The idea with this forum is to keep all the threads on page 1, so the fewer there are...

Anyone want to compile the javelin thread? This editing into place I can keep on top of quite easily, as long as victims - er volunteers do the actual work.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ June 17 2004,10:30)]I've requested your HA compilation be moved over, Ludens. I'll look at it as soon as I can, it may be better suited as an appendix in the unit guide, a simple cut and paste with the credit going to everyone who isn't me. The idea with this forum is to keep all the threads on page 1, so the fewer there are...
    Thank you. I would honoured if it would be added to the unit guide, but it is not done yet. I would rather have it available for edits and updates. I still need to find some links to usefull replays.
    Also, if you add it to the unit guide it would discourage discussion on the subject.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

As you wish, I suppose if the forum spills over into 2 pages it'll be the unpopular factions going first.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

This is a forum where some work can be done, more than one or even two mods can chew off (frogbeastegg is also mostly here for her own Guides and busy with the other areas, thanks for stepping in).

We can use this forum to see what's best.

It's possible to 'give' the summaries in the guide topics to a person so they can copy/edit text/guide. Are there people interested in such a thing?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TosaInu @ June 21 2004,21:31)]Hello,

This is a forum where some work can be done, more than one or even two mods can chew off (frogbeastegg is also mostly here for her own Guides and busy with the other areas, thanks for stepping in).

We can use this forum to see what's best.

It's possible to 'give' the summaries in the guide topics to a person so they can copy/edit text/guide. Are there people interested in such a thing?
    me, Tosa

Default Re: Comments and suggestions

Firstly we have reinforcements; give KukriKhan a wave

Right, time to start the ball rolling on a project I was going to do when the old forum broke.

These faction threads are essentially untouched; there are strategies posted but nothing has been condensed into the first post.

Danish
    Turks
    Spain
    Novgorod
    Irish
    Welsh
    Northumbrians
    Poland
    Scots
    French
    Aragonese
    Sicily
    Saxons
    Picts (not really worth it, only has one post)
    Vikings

English, Italy, if I am understanding this correctly these threads have been assigned to ah_dut with the posts in his name so he can update? TosaInu has Byz.

No one cares about the Mercians, that thread hasn't got a single post.

Several factions have already been condensed dwon into the first post. I would list them but I'm lazy. They are the ones not named anywhere else in this post.

So, any volunteers to take on some of the needy factions, either to write a summary of the strategies posted which can then be edited into place by a mod, or to be assigned the first posts in the thread and write then edit the summary into place themselves? I assume it is still possible to transfer ownership of posts on this board.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Glad to be part of this worthy effort. I have some catch-up reading to do, so that I better understand where we are here. Meanwhile, feel free to ask for any assist necessary.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I'm not exactly certain what all needs to be done to prepare a faction for it's own thread, but I'd be happy to pitch in if somebody could explain it to me a little better. I usually play the Italians, though I just started messing around with French. Also, I've noticed there's not much for High strategies. Does everyone start on Early?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 08-12-2004 at 20:41. Reason: Typo
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Yeah, for me I just prefer playing Early.

I personally like blitzing and this is so much easier without even forts in enemy lands which is often possible in early.

I've played some High games and haven't really played a Late game yet.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

@ Cheetah, TosaInu.

I do hope all the excellent guides posted in the "old forum" was saved and will be inserted here and that you rebuild the stucture of the old guides forum with all factions, eras, available for posting. I do miss some good posts from there. Thanks!

Don Corleone, all you need to do is read through the topic and write down all the suggestions people have made, turning a long thread into a mini guide. You can find an example of what I mean in the Almohad topic.

PseRamesses, what exactly are we missing? I thought everything had carried over but I don't know this forum as well as I should.

And it appears KukriKhan has taken early retirement; he's gone from the mod listing for this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    PseRamesses, what exactly are we missing? I thought everything had carried over but I don't know this forum as well as I should.
    Err, I found it all under "table of contents" although I can´t view any of thoose old posts. I just get a message that says that it can´t be found.
    What I originally was wondering if the guides section will be as "neatly" organized as it was at the Org? You know, with all factions on the first page.

Ah, broken links because all the thread on the new forum have a different address. I will fix that now, thanks for pointing it out.

I'm puzzled; this entire forum displays on one page, and apart from the broken links it looks and behaves identically to the old one for me. Perhaps a difference in user control panel settings?

I have updated all the links in the TOC, if anyone finds a broken link please report it here and I'll fix it.

I can merge the TOC, useful tools and welcome threads to free up a tiny bit of display space, problem is my mod powers aren't working correctly in here. I'll get them fixed and then merge the three topics.

Ah, broken links because all the thread on the new forum have a different address. I will fix that now, thanks for pointing it out.
    No problem, I understand it will take a while to get everything in place.

I'm puzzled; this entire forum displays on one page, and apart from the broken links it looks and behaves identically to the old one for me. Perhaps a difference in user control panel settings?
    The guides forum displays on one page for me too;
    First are 7 stickied topics from "Comments & suggestions" down to "Table of contents" then comes four faction guides: Danish, Italian Turks and HRE. Here is the place all faction guides where lined up in the old Org, one by one. Even guides to historical battles and campaigns if my memory serves me right.
    I can´t change display mode for a forum but well for a topic so the problem can´t be that I can´t see something that´s there it simply isn´t there. All the faction-, battles- and campaign-guides, now under "Table of contents" should be here rather than under some obscure sub-topic IMHO since they will be easier to find and more visible for the visitors.

I still don't quite follow; to me the forum is identical to the old one except for a few minor graphical differences. If it was in the old forum it is in this one too. If there is something different or missing then it is quite subtle or hidden in a topic I haven't visited yet.

Daft question: are you only seeing 4 faction threads and 7 stickies? Or are you just saving yourself the hassle of listing them all individually?

I don't remember there ever being a historical battle and campaign thread in this forum; there was some discussion on starting one but it went nowhere. If you could provide a name for this thread I could start searching; perhaps you are thinking of one from another forum? I do remember one in either the EH or MH quite some time ago.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

And it appears KukriKhan has taken early retirement; he's gone from the mod listing for this forum.
    Heh. Do I get 50% pension for that? :)

When setting up the permissions, TosaInu re-made me moderator of category: Junior Patrons, which this forum falls under, so I got listed. After discussion, he decided the combination of Entrance Hall, both Taverns & this forum was too much - none of the 4 would get the attention it deserved.

Knowing that I have a tendancy to bite off more than I can chew, I agreed with him. After summer, and the possible September release of R:TW, we'll be re-shuffling staff again, and I can come back here.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I still don't quite follow; to me the forum is identical to the old one except for a few minor graphical differences. If it was in the old forum it is in this one too. If there is something different or missing then it is quite subtle or hidden in a topic I haven't visited yet.
    Well, for me it´s not.

Daft question: are you only seeing 4 faction threads and 7 stickies? Or are you just saving yourself the hassle of listing them all individually?
    Yes, I only see 7 stickies and 4 faction guides in the Guides forum. I can however see all faction guides under the topic "Table of contents". I just thought it was better in the Org where all faction guides were in the same place and not as now under "table...." and the 4 in the "Guides forum". Do you understand me???

I don't remember there ever being a historical battle and campaign thread in this forum; there was some discussion on starting one but it went nowhere. If you could provide a name for this thread I could start searching; perhaps you are thinking of one from another forum? I do remember one in either the EH or MH quite some time ago.
    Err, you might be right on that one. I just remember that it was suggested and members were positive to the idea, so maybee no guides to them has been done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Yes, I only see 7 stickies and 4 faction guides in the Guides forum. [...] Do you understand me???
    Yes, I shall put away my confused geisha smiley. This sounds like a technical issue to me; it would probably be worth sending TosaInu a PM telling him about this. You should be seeing all the faction threads listed individually in the guides froum as well as the TOC, just like before.

Yes, I shall put away my confused geisha smiley.
    No problem. I value your patience more.

This sounds like a technical issue to me; it would probably be worth sending TosaInu a PM telling him about this.
    Hmm, then I have to go through this process of explaining the whole matter again.

You should be seeing all the faction threads listed individually in the guides froum as well as the TOC, just like before.
    I checked the display options and it seems applyable only to threads not forums so it can´t be that. Could it be some "member-level.issue" then? Maybee I´m not the senior member I once was?! He, he...

Hrmph... do I feel like a fool now. I actually found that only the two last weeks was choosen as an option on the bottom of the page. I changed it to display posts since the beginning and voila´ all posts "magically" appeared. He, he.... maybee it will take this hound a while to learn all the tricks and treats of this new forum. Thanks for your help Frogbeastegg - much appreciated!

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

God, I am so stupid sometimes, it's amazing I know how to cross traffic.

First, I had the same issue as Pse Ramses, I had the display of topics listed to two weeks. Kinda hard to see something that hasn't been touched in 5 weeks. Second, I thought you wanted us to go through and physically cut and paste everyone's posts for a thread into a first posting. What you really mean is you want us to read the entire thread and give a synopis. Then you'll go back and sticky our synopsis within the thread so it's the first post. Aaah. Okay.

Here's what I'll commit to... I'll get the French done this week and the Spanish next week. I've played both so I'm pretty familiar with their early strategies at least.

While we're doing all this, if anyone stumbles across middle or late strategies for any faction, let me know. Lately, I just don't have the patience to start from Early, but even in High it really changes your strategy (for one thing, there's fewer rebel provinces for everyone outside the Balkans).
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

well, stupid me, I had the same problem, but I had my display options set to "Use Forum Default".
    That seemed to work for all the other forums, except for this one.
    That's a bit strange.

Mods, please feel free to delete my "France" thread; its contents are in the "French" thread already; sorry for posting it again.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast