Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gun monkey!

Don't make the guns too weak! Otherwise we shall all witness the rise of the rushers again. If the guns are balanced then using them is also a skill as I was ruthlessly taught by dareal has he beat me numerous times. I never had a problem with guns in stw but I only started playing shogun when v1.02 was already out. Also I was a newbie who got beat plenty of times and may never have noticed guns are too strong but from what I can remember I never had a problem.
    I am great

RageMonsta

?Tera..and how did we pay?....was this before you defected to another clan or after?....dont recall any great loss on our part...though we did trade blows with Elite until we became allies....remind me Tera please. (oh yes and remind yourself who drew first blood with a 3 clan attack against the peaceful nation of Rage..talk about pay back...lol..your lucky to still have legs)

We can keep this clean or otherwise...but dont make statements that you cannot back up... a bit like 'dont attack clans you can neither out fight or out think'.

You knew I had to reply

Tankdogg,

Right now it looks like for a battle on an open map muskets are typically in the 30 - 60 kill range in v1.03 rather than the 60 - 90 kill range of v1.02. Total potential kills on H2 YS at max range are 135 in v1.03 rather than the 200 kills of v1.02. Friendly kills when firing into melee from behind you own troops are 30%. Reload is 3 seconds longer in v1.03 than v1.02. Morale and defend are lower so guns will rout sooner if engaged in h2h. If you can get a musket into a position where it can shoot without return fire, it can still take out two full enemy units.

Although the infantry rush has a better chance of success now because it can actually reach and engage the musket in h2h, the early monk rush should still fail as long as you have enough front line units to hold up the monks while your muskets shoot. The important thing is that heavy cav, naginata cav, monks and no-dachi units should be able to charge and engage an unprotected musket in h2h without routing just from the gun fire. Although the monks are improved somewhat in v1.03, they have no armor now so you are going to have to engage enemy archers with something else before exposing your monks.

Monsta,

Although this alternate stat is being referred to as v1.03, it's not a patch. It's an attempt to address some of the imbalances that remain in v1.02. If players like v1.03 enough, it will catch on in friendly games. Comp games will still use the v1.02 stat even if you have v1.03 stats loaded. Players that want to switch back and forth between v1.02 and v1.03 for friendlies are going to have to have the correct stat loaded or else they go out-of-sync when the battle starts.

You can't fault players for making the most of the units in v1.02. They are just using what's available. We knew that as battle experience with v1.02 was accumulated by all the online players some imbalances would surface. Because you can buy any unit in any amount + upgrade things, balancing this is an iterative process, and two iterations (v1.01 and v1.02) doesn't give a very good solution. Despite this you can have a lot of fun with v1.02. It's gratifying to me after a battle to hear a player say "Wow, that was a great battle.", and the player saying this did not necessarily win. I don't use YA, and I don't use more than 4 guns. No limits are stated beforehand. It's just undestood by most that those two units make the game less fun if used in excess.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I knew you had to reply

Past is past now...as far as I know we didn't receive any big blows in the campaign from you neither...so don't try to speak too...I played some 2v2's with Krast and Fury as allies, when will our time come Monsta?

Tera.

------------------
    Proud member of Clan Kenchikuka.
    evil is within us...

RageMonsta

Maybe when the new STATS (not a patch sorry they already have our moeny!) are ready...then we can purge the on line game of the monkeys.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by RageMonsta:
    Maybe when the new STATS (not a patch sorry they already have our moeny!) are ready...then we can purge the on line game of the monkeys.[/QUOTE]

Unless this 'custom stat setting' is adopted as an official patch, gun monkeys are here to stay. There is no way around it.

So push EA if you want your Skinner Box to be more than a mere decorative figurine in the corner collecting dust and used solely by the elitist few that consider themselves 'gods' in their own eyes, and as such, ordained rulers over the monkeys.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I agree with you, MizuYuuki, that you can't really blame people if they use what is available in order to win, be it Überashis or lots of guns or even the good old monk-rush etc. That was what i meant in my previous posts: Some veterans ( and i am not denying that they are excellent players ) seem to consider "Shogun" as their very own property and although i admit that a wonderful game like this needs constant discussion and development, somehow i do not like the "your fighting-style is cheap and dishonourable"-criticism. A simple request to use only 4 guns or 4 max and -if it must be- Maximum Honour 6 or something for all units or just Ashis when you host a battle would be sufficient in my eyes. As we can see in the present situation the 4 max rule has somehow become a "rule", so what is the problem?
    Boromir said in another thread something like ( sorry can't remember exact words):
    Whenever a new tactic turns out to be effective it is considered by some old vets to be dishonourable. Where does this stop? Does that mean if you have problems with a certain style of play that you announce it to be dishonourable? Sorry but i know some good players who constantly blame their allies or opponents if they loose...They never loose because their opponent was simply better... ( No i don't mean you Monsta, nor you Mag) The Über-ashi for example is a nuisance - i admit- but it is not unbeatable! From my point of view we should not focus too much on the more or less limited style other people use in order to win but we should spend our energy more to develop our own gameplay....
    If you want to be a great player, find ways to beat the "cheap" strategies...its possible with 1.02!!
    That leads me to the 1.03 "patch". If it is just a more or less private initiative and not usable for competitive games, its NO option for me, sorry guys. But we'll see what we shall see....

yours Jemasze

The major problems I see with the honour/dishonour argument are that players are in different stages of development. New players find the game complicated and challenging even on flat maps with relatively static armies. I remember my first games online..it took most of my concentration just trying to form up my army in a semblance of order let alone try to manouver them effectively. To players such as this a victory...any victory is a significant achievement regardless of whether it was brought about by luck..camping..or using an "unbalanced army". For players who have had the game since the beggining and have mastered the art of battlefield tactics simple games no longer entertain them. They expect long closely fought battles with interesting terrain/tactics/units. This is a normal part of life, as we become more experienced our tastes tend to become more sophisticated. Think about the first time you experienced something and how you felt about it compare that to what you feel now...first car...first job...dare I say it first sex . Lets just agree we are all on the same road...just some of us may be farther along than others.
    Better stop now as I'm begginning to sound reasonable

Wraith
    Proud Member of ClanShades

Damn!! Excellent post Wraith!
    Hmmm maybe i forgive your backstabbing in a battle sooo long ago and completely rewritten in Rage-Clans history-books now? LOL

yours Jemasze

Yep Jem, it would be nice to have a face to face battle one day Although I fear I am so out of practice I wouldnt do myself justice...I am a pale shadow of myself from the old campaign

Wraith

Wraith your shit now and always have been hahahahaha.
    I am great

Dogg, nice to see your as gracious as ever. Judging by the contents of your posts rather than lurking in these forums your time would be better spent preparing yourself for your future career. Now repeat after me...."Do you want fries with that?"...

Wraith

[This message has been edited by ShadeWraith (edited 05-08-2002).]

Hahaha

There is nothing so entertaining than a good fight in the forum! Tank you asked for that answer... LOL

yours Jemasze

haha wraith u know nothing of my academic capabilities. I don't know why u r so jealous of me that u go out of your way to have a pop of me. Btw my post here was in response to some other post u made and trying to get me threw out of the tourney and I see u haven't denied that u r shit.
    I am great

[Puts popcorn in microwave.]
    [Heats sake.]

OK! I'm ready now... please don't disappoint me...!

Originally posted by Tankdogg123:
    haha wraith u know nothing of my academic capabilities.

True, but in a virtual community with no face to face contact...you are what you post, and frankly your use of grammar and syntax does not in my opinion mark you out as an intellectual giant.

I don't know why u r so jealous of me that u go out of your way to have a pop of me.

My reasons for "having a pop" at you are not based on jealousy on my part. Im reasonably fulfilled with my life...I have a great wife, lovely kids and a relatively successful career. Why I would be jealous of a foul mouthed semi-illiterate yob with questionable social skills such as yourself would surely be a case for Sherlock Holmes.

Btw my post here was in response to some other post u made and trying to get me threw out of the tourney

I never advocated "throwing you out of the tourney". Indeed, you pay me a great compliment intimating that I could have such influence in the community. I merely postulated on the dichotomy of the community aspiring to be free of unreasonable conduct whilst at the same time providing succour to transgressors in "official" tourneys.
    and I see u haven't denied that u r shit.

As I stated clearly earlier I have other interests in my life than playing computer games. If you believe I am "shit" then thats your prerogative. I dont believe it, neither do I believe that I am great. I just enjoy playing a stimulating game with (in the main) mature adults.

You know why I loathe you, in a discussion we had a long time ago you made derogatory remarks about my mother. When I pointed out to you that she was relatively recently deceased you then suggested I should "dig her up and f**k her". I'm sorry but I cant find it in my heart to forgive you for that comment however young and immature you appear to be.

Wraith

[This message has been edited by ShadeWraith (edited 05-08-2002).]

Quote Originally posted by ShadeWraith:
    ... When I pointed out to you that she was relatively recently deceased you then suggested I should "dig her up and f**k her". I'm sorry but I cant find it in my heart to forgive you for that comment however young and immature you appear to be...[/QUOTE]

GAH! Horrible! [Frowns]

Reminds me of Norman Bates...

[Sips sake, eats popcorn...]

I am sorry if I like to type short hand coz I am too lazy to do otherwise. HaHa that comment about your mother was good I forgot I said that I didn't realise I was so evil hahaha. Now I know why u hate me so much.
    I am great

Quote Originally posted by Tankdogg123:
    HaHa that comment about your mother was good [/QUOTE]

quod erat demonstrandum

Wraith

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

He said that? Dogg that is not on nor is it amusing unless you hang in the same circles as guys like Hitler and Bin Laden. making fun of someones mother, who as far as I know you don't know is just completely pointless and makes you look like a prick, and if the guy mentions she had died recently, continuing with the verbal onslaught is not on, especially that kind of sentance.

Now I see why many people are not "buddy buddy" with you.

And it's people like you that makes all teenagers out to be asses who have heads the size of a beachball, which we are not. I am 15 but I don't act like a prick online, it's completely pointless and pathetic.

Ahhhhh, another few words from my fingers are given again.

------------------
    Give me your heart, and I'll break it.
    Give me your virginity and you'll lose it.
    Give me your money, and I'll keep it.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

And you complain why your topics get closed Tankuy? This thread is destined to be closed.

------------------
    Proud member of Clan Kenchikuka.
    evil is within us...

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Closed.

If I need to explain why, go and did a hole for yourself.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12