Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Complete Total War Unit Guide

Ms: Frogbeastegg:

Simply amazing. I'll be honest. I have not read the hole thing yet but I will be looking at it for a guide, definately.

I almost can't believe the detail. I ironically was thinking what ScudKnight said regarding making a book out of it and printing the rights to it.

Congratulation on a job well done...

Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.
    - Winston Churchill

I thought this quote appropriate.

My son says Peace Out, so I say TW Out.

Lord Michael

A Knight is sworn to duty
    To honor and defend...
    A Lord has right to rule them
    To justify this end...
    The King sends them to battle
    There are many evil foes...
    The Righteous Hand will Smight them
    cut off from them there nose...

Thank you very much, Lord DeVeau.

Ludens, I'll sort that list out when I've got a moment...it'll probably take a week or more.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but I've forgotten to add these 2 corrections to my list.[*]VI horsemen also appear in normal MTW (for the Danes, the Huns and the Poles).[*]Pictish mounted crossbowmen have an upkeep op 35, making them slightly cheaper than ordinary mounted crossbows.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

A quick look at the front of the guide will reveal a new addition - I am not updating this any more.

Simply, I don't have the time or will any more; I am writing a book and it is expanding rapidly, demanding more and more with each idea that I have. At this rate it may even become a two-parter or trilogy, assuming I can ever get it to the required standard for publishing. My attention can only be in so many places and something had to give; it was my guides that gave way. They are complete enough, they are a lot of work to maintain, and to be honest I don't even like MTW any more.

I will try to include these last few points raised before this post, but I don't know if or when that will happen.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ June 21 2004,13:39)]A quick look at the front of the guide will reveal a new addition - I am not updating this any more.

Simply, I don't have the time or will any more; I am writing a book and it is expanding rapidly, demanding more and more with each idea that I have. At this rate it may even become a two-parter or trilogy, assuming I can ever get it to the required standard for publishing. My attention can only be in so many places and something had to give; it was my guides that gave way. They are complete enough, they are a lot of work to maintain, and to be honest I don't even like MTW any more.

I will try to include these last few points raised before this post, but I don't know if or when that will happen.
    good luck froggy

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ June 24 2004,16:33)]good luck froggy
    Thanks

Default Re: The Complete Total War Unit Guide

How much damage do Archers do?

What the attack of there arrow’s, is that the same as there normal?

And how is battle calculated?

(I keep is simple because my English is bad this took me a couple of minutes do to)

Hammer of the Scots. Member r johnson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    You have reached the bottom, congratulations. I bet you skipped most of the guide on the way here just to see how long it was
    How did u know Anyway great guide , i know you said you wern't going to edit it again but Sherwood foresters Unit cost 550
    Support cost 10
    (\_/) Add the bunny 2 ur sig
    (o.o) and help him achive
    (>.<) global domination!
    (_)(_)

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: The Complete Total War Unit Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cwastoinand
    How much damage do Archers do?

What the attack of there arrow’s, is that the same as there normal?
    In general most archers don't do much damage, unles they happen to be longbowmen. However, this depends a lot on the circumstances: targetting ligthtly armoured, unshielded troops or shooting down a hill will make them more deadly. Other missile weapons tend to be more effective.

The attack of a missile weapon is not the same as that of its unit: the unit-attack value is for melee combat. The missile attack is determined by the weapon type (i.e. all short bows are equally effective).

And how is battle calculated?
    I am not quite sure what you are asking. Do you mean to ask how combat is calculated?

Welcome to the Org, BTW .

thanks, so where do i find the stats of the missile weapons?

and yha i what to know a guy falls down (-;

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: The Complete Total War Unit Guide

thanks, so where do i find the stats of the missile weapons?
    In the projectilestats.txt-file in your M:TW folder. The file is a bit hard to interpret, so you will need an editor. Personally, I use the Gnome editor.

and yha i what to know a guy falls down (-;
    Combat is resolved on a soldier by soldier basis: everytime a soldiers strikes another a comparision is made between the attack and defence factors to determine the chance to kill. A soldier can attack only once during a combat round but can receive multiple attacks.

df = Attack - defence (including armour) + bonus (charge, height, fatigue, facing, etc.)

Chance to kill = 19% * 1.2^df
    (This means 1.2 to the power of the df.)

I think a similar calculation is made for missile attack, but then the armour value is used instead of the defence value. I hope this answered your question.

thanks (-; , makes a bit sense now (-;

Another great one :) You rock froggy!

This guide is pure gold for beginner and even more for intermediate. It loses some of its shine for beyond that, but then again people beyond that dont need guides of others; they can well write their own.

Thank you for the effort.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I am a beginner, and find this guide invaluable.

I joined this forum to ask for a unit guide/unit statistics guide and found this gem before I could even ask the question. Now I can finally see which units (Billmen, Longbowmen, Hobilars and Gallowglasses are my favourites) have the best attack/defence. Once I get a new videocard I might even be able to play the game!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the .Org, DocXerxes!

This guide has brought may people to the .Org, myself included. Good luck with getting MTW running again (ATI ftw!).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by DocXerxes View Post
    Once I get a new videocard I might even be able to play the game!
    Don't go for too new a video card - the game has issues with any GeForce cards 8xxx and newer (7600/7800/7900 still seem to work) and any Radeon cards newer than the x800/x850 generation. I've seen reports of one generation newer AMD/ATI cards working, but the ones that do require the "button fix".
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Perfect.

Thank you frogbeastegg!

Whenever I revisit the game I always take a peek at this and your Guide to refresh my memory; and more often than I care to admit I learn something new :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I somehow only discovered this now... 12 years after it has been posted.

Nevertheless, fantastic stuff. Thank you Froggy. Off to play MTW.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

What is missing for new player is the buildings which are required to make specific unit.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    What is missing for new player is the buildings which are required to make specific unit.
    This guide is strictly for units, for build requirements check either the tech-tree (download the original PDF here) or you can check the wiki (link in my signature).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    This guide is strictly for units, for build requirements check either the tech-tree (download the original PDF here) or you can check the wiki (link in my signature).
    Thanks.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456