Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: A Beginners Guide to Medieval: Total War

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: A Beginners Guide to Medieval: Total War

Yeah, it is a rare but known bug. Your leader's influence will rise until it hits 9 and than go back to zero. It seems like some wrap-around effect, but what causes the continual rise in influence is not known. Someone suggested it might be caused by having a (religious?) agent in every province on the map.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

Default Re: A Beginners Guide to Medieval: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Yeah, it is a rare but known bug. Your leader's influence will rise until it hits 9 and than go back to zero. It seems like some wrap-around effect, but what causes the continual rise in influence is not known. Someone suggested it might be caused by having a (religious?) agent in every province on the map.
    Do you mean your religious agent or anyones religious agent? Does it have to be a religous agent or can it be any type of agent? Could it be a mix of agents (like any one type of agent in every provence)?

From the question mark you probably don't know the answer but I figured I'd throw it out in case somebody does.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: A Beginners Guide to Medieval: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei Warrior
    Do you mean your religious agent or anyones religious agent? Does it have to be a religous agent or can it be any type of agent? Could it be a mix of agents (like any one type of agent in every provence)?
    I think it was Ironside who reported that this bug occured when he had a bishop (of his own) in every province. The effect stopped when he moved on bishop to another province, thus leaving one province uncovered. Sorry for not being clear.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

Thanks Ludens. I knew that the cascading influence sometimes happens (although I have yet to see it), I never knew someone came up with a reason why. I missed so much while I was away.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Nice guide froggy, one of the best around :)

An impressive guide indeed.

I have a question. During a defensive battle in which I had to swap tired and out of ammo Irish Dart throwers for fresh ones, I couldn't make them withdraw, but only flee.

It was not a problem since I wanted them out of the field anyway, but the going out in good order instead of running awkwardly would have been more decent, since I was handling that Mercian pretty well.

I have the MTW gold edition from the Era's box. I couldn't see a propoer "withdraw" option, and the ctrl+W doesn't seems to do anything. Having an Azerty keyboard, I haven't tried a ctrl+Z though....

Any Idea?

If you put the cursor over a unit and right click, you get a menu with all the options, to include "withdraw".
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

Deleted - post in error.
    Last edited by Geezer57; 02-07-2007 at 00:42.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caerfanan
    I couldn't see a propoer "withdraw" option, and the ctrl+W doesn't seems to do anything. Having an Azerty keyboard, I haven't tried a ctrl+Z though....
    You can change all of your hot keys in the Options menu.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 02-06-2007 at 20:04.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Awww... Such in a hurry to play the game I didn't even took the time to test all the options...

Thanks guys! My warriors will leave the field with all thair pride and dignity from now on.

"all thair pride"

Very nice. I'll check my english a bit more, next time...

I just wanted to say that this is an epic piece of work and even now some 8 years on there are people like me who still find this thread useful. I have had M:TW for quite a while and have fumbled around the edges until recently when I figured I would give it another spin. To be honest it is graphically challenged by more recent titles however it is really very good for a game of its age and this beginners guide is superb I cannot thank the OP enough for the effort put into it outstanding

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, Ventrian! It is indeed a great piece of work. This and the Unit Guide are why I joined here so many years ago.

And rumor has it that the Lady Frog will be releasing a guide to Shogun 2 soon.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Hi

I have just encountered this phenomenon in my current Caravel v3.3 campaign (Early, Hard, Almos).

I'm not sure how or why, but I noticed something odd was happening and started checking my ruler's influence every turn. It was increasing one or two crowns a year, and then suddenly shot down to zero! A momentary panic ensued as I expected provinces and generals to start rebelling left, right and centre. But nothing happened. And when I checked the income and loyalty scroll all provinces remained at 200 happiness!? Similarly, my generals' loyalty did not seem to be affected, and I received no, 'you have a number of disloyal generals' warning.

I do have a lot of imams on the map, but certainly not in every province. Ireland, for example, does not have a port.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

This is a very useful reference, thanks!
    Maybe there is a newer version of this guide?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Hi Rotsim,

Unfortunately no, the guide is actually very old but it's still very useful for MTW players.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678