Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of Rome - Total War

Hi All

The Topic is pinned.

I tested it again on Expert. After rebellions all over the place (including Rome), and three civil wars. No Pope emerges. My frontier provinces were even going over to the Barbarians due to bribery. I had to side with the rebels all three times, because the bulk of the army was with them

Max,
    You can assign different faction names for the various campaigns. Just create a 374AD_faction_specific.txt file, and declare it in the 374AD startpos file. You can have a seperate file for each campaign if you need to.

As far as the Papal faction goes, I am kind of partial to the Army of Italy, or the Foederati. The leader can be the Patrician of Italy, but this would only be work for the 400's until the Ostrogoth Theodoric becomes the Patrician of Italy.

The Roman Senate would probably work for all periods. For a leader title maybe the Patrician of Rome. What about SPQR? (the Senate and People of Rome)

SPQR can pretty much be taken as anything. The people, Aristocracy, Army, and even Odovacar.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,03:02)]Hi All.

to summarize a few things:

the Crusade option doesn't work very well, german kingdoms (catholics) do crusades against pagan (first) and muslim factions, but not against orthodox.
    In my 406 mod the Germans all crusaded agianst the Orthodox romans right off the bat. Their usual target provinces were Rome, Naples, Sicily, or one of the Spanish provinces.

I had made all the Roman provinces highly developed in economic upgrades (farm3 or 3, merchants, etc.), but not able to produce quality units for 16 plus turns.

I think the rich provinces drew in the crusades, orthodox or not.

AB

Sicilian Vespers.

Ok i see, i will read something about this in Adding new faction guide, and then i'l do some tests.

A_B

Ok, if i've understood, you made very well economical developed provinces, but without any military buidings, is it right?

In this case, i think that the more roman developed provinces should be Constantinople, Milan, Rome, Tunisia, Tolouse, Aegypt, Valencia (or another spanish provinces) and maybe one of the british provinces.

what do you think?

I don't think Aegypt should be a target, as the Arabs won't have Crusades. I would build up the provinces you want to be targets of migrations. Greece may be a better choice than Constantinople. This would reflect the Visigoth and Slav migrations into the balkans.

So you would need target provinces in:

Spain (Andalusia & Leon) = Visigoths, Suevi, Vandals
    Britain = Anglo-Saxons
    Aquitaine = Visigoths
    Italy (Milan & Rome) = Ostrogoths & Lombards
    Tunisia = Vandals
    Greece = Visigoths & Slavs
    Ile de France = Franks

You should rename Crusades to Völkerwanderung or Barbarian Migrations.

I would think you could still have military building in the target provinces.

Also, if Milan is a target, I would move the capital to Ravenna.

Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,08:25)]A_B

Ok, if i've understood, you made very well economical developed provinces, but without any military buidings, is it right?

In this case, i think that the more roman developed provinces should be Constantinople, Milan, Rome, Tunisia, Tolouse, Aegypt, Valencia (or another spanish provinces) and maybe one of the british provinces.

what do you think?
    Max,

In general, all Roman AND Byzantine provinces were built up economically in my 406 mod, but only a few provinces could build military units. Rome and Constantinople were heavily built up. Only a few Roman provinces could be Auxilaria (sp), and were years away from Legionaires (sp) or good cavalry.

Most Germanic territories had enough military buildings to make warbands, and some had enough to make heavy Cav.

This was all in an effort to make things historical. The Germanic factions that were successful in grabing a few Roman provinces could survive quite well. They all tried. It was devestating trying to play as the Roman. However, there was a N. African Roman (roman rebels) faction which was quite fun to play, and the Byzantines were quite fun as well - having to beat off a Persian invasion before turning to face the huns and Germans.

I think i sent you the files, you probably haven't had time to check them out. I probably have newer versions by now.

AB

A_B.

Yes i'm very involved in making graphic changes now, i hadn't time to test your file sorry.
    But I think that we can put your 406ad startpos file in the next mod version.

Have you changed the Crusader_build_prod to have the units buildable only in specific provinces?

Sicilian Vespers.

About the target provinces probably tou are right.

cheers

Quote[/b] (SicilianVespers @ April 29 2004,07:31)]I tested it again on Expert. After rebellions all over the place (including Rome), and three civil wars. No Pope emerges. My frontier provinces were even going over to the Barbarians due to bribery. I had to side with the rebels all three times, because the bulk of the army was with them

Max,
    You can assign different faction names for the various campaigns. Just create a 374AD_faction_specific.txt file, and declare it in the 374AD startpos file. You can have a seperate file for each campaign if you need to.

As far as the Papal faction goes, I am kind of partial to the Army of Italy, or the Foederati. The leader can be the Patrician of Italy, but this would only be work for the 400's until the Ostrogoth Theodoric becomes the Patrician of Italy.

The Roman Senate would probably work for all periods. For a leader title maybe the Patrician of Rome. What about SPQR? (the Senate and People of Rome)

SPQR can pretty much be taken as anything. The people, Aristocracy, Army, and even Odovacar.
    I think you should name it The Emperor's Nagging Wife because we all know that a nagging wife is the root of every man's worst problems.

Max,
    Have you redone the uniticon lbm and Review_panel bif for the Limitanei?

I am just about done with a new one (have to change the shield). I basically used the Auxilia Palatina images (with red patched on the bottom of tunic), removed the armor, and added the red patches to the shoulders. I am going to use the shield from the Limitanei in Ospreys Late Roman Infantry (basically red with a boss, and a gold dotted design).

If you want them, I can send them to you.

Coldstream.

Sicilian Vespers.

Yes of course, send me the files and i'll put them in the mod..
    my email is: maximus2004ad@yahoo.com

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Maybe even keeping the Pope the Pope might be good, as the Pope was remotely powerful in Rome, and especially after it's sacked by Ottokar. Don't know if the pope had any worldly power in 374 though...
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Max,
    I am planning on reworking the other Roman infantry lbms & bifs, to make them more unique on the review panel. I want to try to make the shields match the shields you have created for the battles. I'll send you eveything when completed.

Ellesthyan,
    The Pope was just the Patriarch of Rome at this time. Rome was ruled by Romano-Byzantine Dukes after Justinian's reconquest, and the Pope didn't actually become the ruler of Rome until around the time Ravenna fell to the Lombards.

Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,09:51)]A_B.

Have you changed the Crusader_build_prod to have the units buildable only in specific provinces?
    Yes i made it so factions could only build in certian provinces. The Romans were limited to Roman territories.

Germans have more flexability on where to build.

Eastern factions can only build in arab contries, etc.

I made a lot of other changes to the unit stats as well.

AB

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Oops, sorry then
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I had agreat battle today. In Bulgaria, Romans vs Byzantines and Khazer alliance. Spread out, in deep formation on a hill, outnumbered two to one. The Khazer made up the right wing and an archery duel commneced between my archers and Khazer light cavalry. Then, the combined Byzantine Cavalry hit my right flank and it buckled and was ready to break. I saw my one chance, the Byzantine general was on foot(the heir royal unit) and i took all remaining cav in a direct attack to hold the center and kill the enemy general, and he was cut down and the entire Byzantine army, who were crying cheers of victory suddenely turned to shouts of panic and they ran like bitches The Khazer force lost the stomach after that as i launched a combined infantry and cavalry attack and swept them from the field

BKB.

Great battle

ALL.

These are the new Farae warbands.. Thanks to Duke John

I am having trouble downloading the mod..

i have searched the downloads area and i have no idea where it is i just see a few screenshots, but thats it.

can someone lend a detailed way to download it?

ChErNoByl.

Try this...

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/MTW/Stats.shtml

ALL.

Oops the Farae shield will be changed, obviously.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Wow this is a great mod I downloaded this late last night and all i can say is this:

Great job everybody working on this. Here's a summery of my experience so far

I decided to start in the Twilight of the Eagles period. (btw very nice faction variety) I chose the Visigoths.

Driven out by the growing power of the Ostrogoths the Visigoths set out on a journey to find a new home. Joined by other Goths and Alans their numbers grew, until they came into contact with the Western Roman Empire. The King of the Visigoths petitioned the Romans for land within the empire. But the Imperator would have none of it, he denied the Visigoths and Alans the right to settle within Roman territory, but he also went one step further by ordering a strike against the barbarians.

Betrayed the Visigoths fought back and defeated the legionary forces sent against them, but the king himself was slain. Even so, his son Ataulf took up the crown, and swore revenge upon Rome. Using his great diplomatic skills he acquired the aid of the Anglo-Saxons, The Franks, and the Germans, welding together what he called The Visigoth Alliance. With this new confederation of Tribes Ataulf declared war on the Western Romans, blazing a trail of death across the empire. Time after time, and battle after battle the legions were decimated, routed and humiliated. King Ataulf marched his people from Thrace to Tuscany, but he spared Rome when the Imperator agreed to his terms. The Visigoths were granted the land of Aquantina (i think thats how it was spelled) After that the Visigoth Alliance was disbanded as the Franks turned to fighting the Germans and the Anglo-saxons Migrated north into Scandinavia.

The Western Roman empire was devastated, and they could feel hate burning in their hearts for the people who defeated them. In the next 10 years Rome would launch three attacks against the Visigoths, and it was three times that the young Ataulf pushed back the onslaught and saved his people. The year is now 400 AD, and the West is in great decline. The Visigoths have proved to the world that Rome is not what it used to be and lands are ripe for the taking, as time goes by one can only wonder how long the city shall remain standing.

This is a great mod maximus, Thank you and all who helped you, i have a feeling i'll be playing this for a long time

I have not tried the mod, but i just wanna ask, that you not are going to expand your mod, so there is a early'er campaign? so i can play old style legions (ca.0AD+) against those germanic tribes
    -Brian Bergh
    Email and MSN: brianbbj@hotmail.com

Monk.

Thanks. The guys who are helping me are A_B, Hross af Guttenburg, SpetzNaz and Sicilian Vespers. Also I've taken some new Duke John unitgraphics.. thanks DJ.

There'll be another version of the mod at least, whit new units, new units graphics, new campaigns maybe a new strategic map and other features.... so stay tuned.

Brianbbj

the earlier campaign now is a 304AD campaign Constantine the Great vs. Maxentius, there will not be campaigns in the 1st and 2nd century AD.

A_B. Sicilian Vespers.

I'm testing the Crusade/Barbarian invasion feature modified with your suggestions.... and it works

Now the game is much more fun

i downloaded it but a few install questions

1.will it change the menu screen
    2.can reqonisa and fall of rome run on the same game i'm dim when it comes to computers

Nothing interesting here, Move along folks

i have VI 2.01 is that ok

is your install guide out of date can you give me a modern one

custom battles?

what's going on i copy then paste it asks to write files to cd and then it can't

for the first 3 files i click copy but how do i get them there pasting dosen't work

I don't understand you much, but it seems that you want to copy files from CD to HDD, but you've swapped sides, so you are trying to copy files from HDD (HardDisk) to CD. But it isn't possible until you have CD-RW (CD burner, it allows you to copy files to certain types of CD) and special program (Nero Burning Rom ....).

thanks but i'll wait for mdm
    i'm sure you don't need that mdm or anyone please help

Hi Max.
    Nice unit, but positions of shiels and swords need to be adjusted. But you certainly know this.

Duke John.
    May I ask you for some favour? I like your units and I want to learn 3D moddeling, could you tell me what tool do you use for it, and send me some sample units to open and test it? I'm totally confused (as everyone who is trying something new) and it could really help. Thank you.

What do you want to help with? I've tried to answer you but when it isn't enough...

well i can't download the free demo sorry if i'm annoying you but i just think that's not right, duke john can you please answer mine and spetznatz quries/problems/questions

Demo of what? Medieval or Fall of Rome? Mod is downloadable here http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt..._of_Rome20.zip but demo of Medieval, I thing http://www.3ddownloads.com/?direct....TW_Demo zou must have all files in single folder, than doubleclick MTW_Demo.zip and if it opens (you must have at least Windows ME) copy files it contains elsewhere.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast