Thread: What a bummer

Burninating the country side.. Member Lacker's Avatar

So I'm playing as the French and in late 1190 I decide to send a crusade towards Constantinople (for no other reason but to reap the benefits of the rich province).

The political map is an interesting one at this time, the Egyptians have decimated the Turks and the People of Novgord and own everything from Tripoli up to Finland (including Constantinople)The Germans have been steadily expanding thanks to a long a fruitful alliance with my country and I own everything from Scotland to Cordoba and inland to Lorraine, With Germany boardering every inland province I have since they defeated the Italians.

My goal in this campaign is NOT world conquest so I have gone to great pains to see to it that my alliance with Germany stays intact. I send My crusade through germany and just to knock the Egyptians down a few pegs I march a force of roughly 3500 knights, feudal sargents, long bows, hobilars, and misc light infantry in from Lithuania (after shipping them across the north)

OK so here's the rub. I'm on a blitz mission, after taking provinces from the Egyptians, I destroy everything in them and move on. I did so in Poland and continued South but the Egyptians AND the germans sent a small force into Poland which I had vacated. The Egyptians left and the end result was that Germany took Poland from me, (since the AI doesn't recognize I didn't want it this is a declaration of war) So now my troops in constantinople are holding off wave after wave of Egyptian counter attack and no reservs can be sent as Germany has hordes of boats in the region. The germans have been sending raids into ALL of my Eastern Provinces and since my forces are off fighting Egypt and in Spain hedging against the remenants of the Almohads I have little to work with so they take my province then I take it back to find the Royal Court destroyed, etc . They really need a way to GIVE provinces to other countries so this doesn't happen.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

Ulysses S. Grant (1822 - 1885)

Ive had that happen alot, really sucks huh.

The secret to successful crusading is absolute control of the seas; quick to the target, easy to reninforce.
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

well, the diplomacy system really blows. you should be able to give provinces in exchange for cash, princesses, non aggression, whatever.

I also hate the AI automatically attacking a weakly held province no matter how long you have been allied.

so the solution is a huge garrison in provinces with borders as short as possible.

This has never happened to me. In fact, where there is a "reappearance" in one of my provinces, I can abandon it and not be at war with the "resurgent" faction. I think I even lost provinces to allies as you describe without breaking my alliance. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

well, it works occasionally and erattically.

I was even able to stay allied with the horde for a long time as the Russians, picking a fight when them when I wanted to for quite a ransom

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Well was it really neccessary to assault the castle destroy everything then leave, if so turn the difficulty down. If they abandoned this province wich is rare against a crusade because the A.I. sees this as a passing by army and will wait it out in the fort until the crusade passes through
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war