Thread: medmod questions...

Red face

So I started 2 medmod early expert campaigns this week. First, started italian and loved it, once I got used to the crazy changes like the king being italian light inf.

Then today I started english...not so good. I was fine until the danes bought the rebels in wales the turn before I was going to invade...This is a viable tactic, that I SOO didnt see coming ,which is actually kinda cool. But then when I invaded a few turns later I experienced some very odd stuff indeed...I had 1200 vs 700, my army was 4 norman knights, 4 Claymores, 2 Fyrdman, 1 spear, and about 4 longbow. I used a tactic I very often used during my turk campaign, attack from all angles with all calvary, and run the inf in ASAP. It almost always worked, though I took heavy casualties. This time though, I found out that vinilla zero valour spearman absolutley RAPE 3 valour Heavy Cavalry, even when I charged from behind. Same with claymores.

What is up with that??? their spearmen schooled everything I through at them from any angle They routed every last soldier time and time again. Even when they were engaged with my fyrdmen (who were losing badly IN FORMATION FIGHTING DOWN HILL) and I charged from behind with the knights, everyone ran away in seconds.

Thankfully I quicksaved before hand, so im going to try the battle again when I dont feel like putting my fist through the monitor...

Is there something im missing?? Is there some new key to beaing spears in medmod?
    To win without risk is to have victory without glory.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

are you sure those are just spears?

they can very well be landsmenn who may be quite tough.

also, if the unit graphics look like spears, they are actually asturian foot which are better units.

still, they should not be able to withstand a frontal assault by fyrdmen while being charged by norman knights and claymores on the flanks and in the rear.

you sure no crazy general commanding or something?

Im sure they were spears, I knew that the graphics are used more than once so I checked. My entire army was 2 valour...Oh, I had my king, 2 sons, and another unit of horses. the unit of 41 was not the general, the king is the 41 right? I just also rememberd that my general was picked off in the first volley (what are the chances??) But that would still only be -2 morale and every troup was 2 valour or more...

When your general got killed, there went the valor and morale bonuses due to his command rating.
    What was the enemy general's command? What was the valor of those spearmen? Could be the unit leader had secret pride (+3V) and maybe had earned some valor thru previous combat.

I once saw a unit of saharan cav eat a frontal and rear charge by my AHCs, wipe the floor with them, then have a nice lunch after losing just a handful of men. It was only then I noticed those saharans were valor 9 - look at all the pretty little valor flags that unit has, too bad i didn't notice until after
    Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
    Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
    Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
    My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore

They were zero valour at the battle planning screen...with the first armour upgrade. Once my army was high tailing it outa there all of the spearmen had at least 53 guys left.

Are the spears a serious threat in medmod? Or was this just a freak occurance...

look, your V2 dudes are probably not really V2 but are V1 or even V0 as the valour is from the general.

once he dies, there is a -8 for the first few seconds and then -2 from then on.

you troops can thus very well all be at morale 0.

this combined with losing and possibly flanks etc. could slam it into routing.

the general induced valour does not boost morale.

how many stars was your general?

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

Yeah, plus you got a morale penalty for getting shot at.

I agree, the Danes are mad annoying when you are playing as the english. Sonner or later they will backstab you and sink your ships...so sink their first

In Med Mod 3.14, the Danes & Swedes are very annoying. I've heard from pretty reliable sources that will be addressed in Version 4.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

well, not if you are playing as them

It's pretty necessary to wipe out the other thought when you are playing as one of them.

I don't see a long term workable alliance between them.

only one power can dominate the north sea and baltic trade

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

AIs can make a workable alliance. Human and AI can't. But then again, that's the same with every faction you play. Kinda annoying, and makes you wish for a better diplo system.

I haven't played an Early Danish campaign but in High the Danes get Bondi who are quite a bit more powerful than vanilla spears. I didn't think the Danes got vanilla spears. And the rest of the Danish troops are nasty except their cav. I am in 1305 in a High Danish game right now and I am loving my Huscarles. They even do pretty well against heavy cav, just put them in the trees and PRESTO many dead horses.

There are actually only the Danes (me) and the Italians and a tiny Aragonese empire left on the map. The battles the Italians and I are going to have are going to be amazing. I was counting last night and I think I can attack 14 provinces at the same time with at least a full stack. I may be forces to autocalc some of those if I ever want to get to sleep that night.

the spear were the hired rebels in wales, I still have yet to try it again btw.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Maybe a replay would tell you more if you saved it. Heres my guess on the most common tactic the A.I uses on the battle field. The A.I. could care less about your army as a whole but instead look for there best point to assault. The A.I.'s main focus is to decimate 1 unit and unit only most of the times forcing it into a route and then concentrating on your next unit getting it to route and quickly tearing apart your army. My guess with you being outnumbered is why the A.I was able to fully exploit your army and what really happened is the A.I. took out 1 unit at a time till your army had enough routing men to force all your men into retreat
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

You guys arent going to beleive this...

So its been like 4 weeks, and I finally load up the saved game and try the battle again. This time I absolutely school em, It has to have been a bug last time...I vividly remember having 2 claymores, a fyrdman, and norman knights surrounding a spearman and the spearman was 'evenly matched'. But not this time. So Im happy, I win the battle and im getting excited to be back in the game...I see the campaign map, gives me some messages about a naval battle and something else...AND THE GAME CRASHES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Bah BAH...BAH This means I have to fight that god forsaken battle again, and probably have it crash again. Maybe this time next year ill be able to go onto the next turn.

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Ragss @ May 21 2004,18:14)]You guys arent going to beleive this...

So its been like 4 weeks, and I finally load up the saved game and try the battle again. This time I absolutely school em, It has to have been a bug last time...I vividly remember having 2 claymores, a fyrdman, and norman knights surrounding a spearman and the spearman was 'evenly matched'. But not this time. So Im happy, I win the battle and im getting excited to be back in the game...I see the campaign map, gives me some messages about a naval battle and something else...AND THE GAME CRASHES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Bah BAH...BAH This means I have to fight that god forsaken battle again, and probably have it crash again. Maybe this time next year ill be able to go onto the next turn.
    Hey,Ragss That's frustrating...

oh damn...tried installing med to new computer after absence, too much scotch i guess, messed it all up, must try try, and again...gah
    pillage, plunder, burn...