Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No good games being released in 2004?

Is it just me, or are there no good games being released in 2004? Other than Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War there are no games in sight that interest me. It seems like everyone is just making the same sort of game, like there aren't any new ideas floating around, and the only fun games I have to play are the ones I bought in 2003 and before that.

What's wrong here? Are there ANY original and fun games being made in 2004 other than Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War? If not, then why?

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

i thought the worst years of gaming were 2003 and 2002,nothing interesting besides Medieval Total War was on the market.

anyways what you mention are mainstream you should check game sites and read up on some other games besides the mainstream ones.2004 has many interesting games,some already came out and some are coming soon,you should checkup on www.gamespot.com or www.gamespy.com ,also try www.gametrailers.com and www.bluesnews.com the former has trailers on some PC and console games while the latter has news exclusively for PC games.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

HL2 will probably come out in 2005 (knowing big games).

The only games I am looking at are RTW and Evil Genius.
    “A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship But it is not this day, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day This day we fight” – Aragorn, King of Gondor

-=Allies & Axis Total War=-

What looks like it could be a very inventive game is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The makers have said that they are working on a completely artificial world for the player to participate in. I think it said in a review that nothing is hardcoded. When playing the beta PC Zone did the same thing three times, the first two times when they attacked a small group of men the men reacted in completely different ways and then the third time the group of men wasn't even there showing the unpredicatability of the game.

It is also meant to be extremely open ended, about 8 possible endings I think. I think this looks set to be a classic game, not sure when it will be out though so I don't know whether it falls into the category of 2004 games or 2005 onwards.

This along with R:TW and HL2 and Doom3 ought to make for a good year.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

If you are a flightsim-head, these are glorious days.

Il2 became IL2-FB, and now the ACE expansion pack has just arrived with Spitfires, P-38s and better naval action. These are the be all - end all of WWII flight sim games. All else is stone knives and bear skins.

In the fall, there will be another IL2 expansion pack or stand alone flight sim that uses an updated but similar engine, Pacific Fighters, with all that scenario entails; B-29s, carriers, a huge Midway map to fly in. After that we expect Battle Of Britain, again using the same, but updated engine and style. This is looking to be the cat's whiskers of the Battle of Britain scenario sims.

There are also two very nice looking WWI flight sims on the horizon. Also, Lock-On and Falcon 4 continue to be updated and may also see expasion packs available.

Not for years now have we had a new and excellent batch of flight sims come out in such numbers. Great time to buy a flightstick for your PC.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Well, there are indeed no games that interest me past Black and White 2 and Rome Total War, but that doesn't bother me. Gaming doesn't hold the charm that it once had, but then again I am growing older.

Maybe there'll be some interesting games on the consoles...

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

I know about all of the games mentioned in here, it's just that none of them appeal to me. I'm looking for the Next Big Thing. 2004 doesn't seem to have any.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Copperhead @ April 24 2004,17:49)]What looks like it could be a very inventive game is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The makers have said that they are working on a completely artificial world for the player to participate in. I think it said in a review that nothing is hardcoded. When playing the beta PC Zone did the same thing three times, the first two times when they attacked a small group of men the men reacted in completely different ways and then the third time the group of men wasn't even there showing the unpredicatability of the game.

It is also meant to be extremely open ended, about 8 possible endings I think. I think this looks set to be a classic game, not sure when it will be out though so I don't know whether it falls into the category of 2004 games or 2005 onwards.

This along with R:TW and HL2 and Doom3 ought to make for a good year.
    I was going to mention Stalker. Just making your own way in a post apocalyptic landscape sounds fantastic.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Look out for a game called Brothers In Arms. To view a screen shot check here
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Holy cannoli That's beautiful

Two words: Roma Victor.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

There are lots of great games coming out this fall, all depends where your interest lies.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Quote[/b] (Sinan @ April 24 2004,21:05)]There are lots of great games coming out this fall, all depends where your interest lies.
    Let's say I like historically based games. I can still play First Person Shooters, but they are becoming more and more boring to me as I delve deeper and deeper into turn based strategy games like Medieval: Total War and Civ III. Actually, scratch that, I hate First Person Shooters. I'm bored with the Rainbow Six style games, the World War II shoot-em-ups, and the Sci-Fi-Deathmatch-Action-Thriller nonsense. I've grown out of it and it's all crap to me now.

I don't play sim games...I might play some RPGs, but I do NOT like Dungeons and Dragons...I'm more of a Fallout-type person.

So are there any non-fantasy rpgs or historically based strategy games (other than R:TW) coming out this year that are any good?

im looking forward to thief 3, despite a disappointment with deus ex 2.
    This is my world
    And I am
    World leader pretend

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Stalker will be awesome, just the setting is enough to cater to my post-apocalyptic needs with fallout 3 cancelled. I *hope* that Thief 3 will be good, even without rope arrows For the consoles, resident evil 4 looks very good, even rivaling pc in the graphic department. I do not know much about killer7, but I will buy it for the style alone. I love cell shaded games, and this looks really 'hardcore'

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Oops, forgot Dungeon Siege II. Man, that game looks cool

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Citaat[/b] (Basileus @ April 25 2004,07:50)]2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games
    Yesterday I bought Farcry and it has a few annoying, better said, frustating bugs (sometimes unable to move to a certain direction untill I let go of a few keys). It does on the other hand have some very good elements in the game.

Anyways, besides RTW the only game I'm really waiting for is Thief III: Deadly Shadows and thinking about possibly buying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The last time I read about it it was supposed to come out somewhere in the last quarter this year.

Quote[/b] (Basileus @ April 25 2004,06:50)]2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games
    STALKER doesn't interest me, and neither does Far Cry. Pirates could be good. I heard the last game in that series was a classic.

I think that Thief III is going to suck because of the disappointment I got from Deus Ex II...I even think I saw a quote where Warren Spector said that all his game plots appeal to teenage power fantasies. Very sad.

Don't care about Dungeon Siege II. Just another hack-n-slash rpg adventure to me.

There seem to be three good games coming out this year, however they are all likely to be released in fall. No good games being released in spring or summer that I know of.

Quote[/b] (Haethurn @ April 25 2004,16:18)]I even think I saw a quote where Warren Spector said that all his game plots appeal to teenage power fantasies.
    Please someone tell me that isn't true

This year, like last year, is the gaming equivolent of boiled rice - nice enough in its own way and it will keep you going, but could benefit from a bit of added ingredients and hard to get excited over. There is quite literally nothing I am counting the days to release day for, nothing I actively go looking for previews of, nothing I will care about if it is delayed. There are interesting games that I will pick up, but nothing that rises above plain boiled rice level.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote[/b] ]Let's say I like historically based games. I can still play First Person Shooters, but they are becoming more and more boring to me as I delve deeper and deeper into turn based strategy games like Medieval: Total War and Civ III. Actually, scratch that, I hate First Person Shooters. I'm bored with the Rainbow Six style games, the World War II shoot-em-ups, and the Sci-Fi-Deathmatch-Action-Thriller nonsense. I've grown out of it and it's all crap to me now.

I don't play sim games...I might play some RPGs, but I do NOT like Dungeons and Dragons...I'm more of a Fallout-type person.

So are there any non-fantasy rpgs or historically based strategy games (other than R:TW) coming out this year that are any good?
    For God's sake man, did you go to my link?? 'Tis the promised land you speak of

*sigh* Nobody ever goes to the link when I link to Roma Victor... And there isn't even a monthly fee

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 25 2004,17:33)]
    That Roma victor thing sounds awesome When's it out?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Supposedly late 2004= just in time for RTW. I'll be walking around in a toga by Christmas-time.

Hi

Here's my two-penneth for what it's worth

The only other game I'm looking forward to this year is Knights of Honor which has it's own web-site at the moment.

Was looking forward to Lords of the Realm 3 and Spartan but both were lacking when it came to the crunch.

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

For TBS or hybrid TBS/RTS and fantasy RPG fans (and in the same time sworn enemies of action/RPG, most but not all pure RTSs, pure action, FPS in particular, sports, racing ans sims - doesn't leave much, does it? what is to expect besides RTW this year?
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Rosacrux @ April 26 2004,07:16)]For TBS or hybrid TBS/RTS and fantasy RPG fans (and in the same time sworn enemies of action/RPG, most but not all pure RTSs, pure action, FPS in particular, sports, racing ans sims - doesn't leave much, does it? what is to expect besides RTW this year?
    Good question, after being spoiled with some great RPGs during the last years I cannot (from the top of my head) come up with a single blockbuster that will be realeased until the end of the year ... which is actually a good thing since I did not even find the time to finish all those gems that came out in recent years

Far Cry.
    Battlefield Vietnam.

Excellent games.
    Also Hl2, Rome TW is that nothing?
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)

obviously, you're not a golfer.

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

Try some of the sims that have been released, Tropico released another expansion, and some of the 'run a company type RR, pizza, etc' have also been released this year.

Well, actually, I am waiting too. Hey how about another warcraft/starcraft?

Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ April 29 2004,09:24)]no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)
    OTOH, you could also say that the industry is becoming more and more narrow in what it produces, and if you happen to like something else than what games geared toward that particular narrow taste have to offer (FPS, Diablo clones, MMORPG, RTS - all of which are more or less action oriented clickfests and/or revolve around MP), your choice is unfortunatelly very limited.

I also don't know what to look forward to in 2004. The only positive thing is that I have still to try many games from years past that I haven't had the chance to pick up earlier (if I manage to find them, that is).
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

last year there was hidden and dangerous 2

this year already there is battlefield vietnam and knights of honor
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast