1 2.63%
  • HRE

4 10.53%
  • Turks

3 7.89%
  • Egyptians

0 0%

Thread: Favorite factions for campaign

Choose your favorite campaign faction, then stae your favorite faction for battles, like mutliplayer

I prefer the byzantines for campaign, good trading position, while i like the english in multiplayer. I usually let the pc handle the camp battles, unless i think they need my cammand. I like the english in battles becuase of their longbows, very nice. hold them back, let the pavs handle things. when they attack, or i do, rush the longbows forward, 2 units of longbows will seriously depress charging units, lol i take out more in the misile bouts than i do in the hand to hand part of the battle
    All those who wander, aren't lost.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I love playing, in this order,

1/ england

2/ Byzantium

3/ turks

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Of those factions i'd say England or Byzantium. recently i used the -ian command at 1231 and played the GH for a campaign, and that turned out to be very fun.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Ohh, this was a tough choice but finally I´ve to go with the English. Mainly because historical feel, the French dilemma, outstanding unique units on high etc.

Hrrm.. I wanted to vote spanish, but apparently the null vote takes away my right to vote.. Blegh..
    I'll try again later...

Anyway, the spanish have jinettes, javelineers and loads of iron upgrades..

Those inquisitors arent half bad either.. ;)

So, alltogether, i guess the spanish are just a lovely comfortable faction to play with for me :)
    Crusades... They should stay medieval.

I like the English - good starting position for the campaign, with the ability to get a good trading network up.
    The French seem to behave as long as you have an alliance, then roll them up at your leisure, after nibbling on the Danes, Germand or Spanish.
    Nicest trick I found was moving south through Denmark, to meet up with your foces moving east from Aquitaine - which gets rolled by the Holy Romans, then letting those dirty French wither on the vine.

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

I like to play on the Eastern part of the campaign map, so my favourites are:
    1/ Byzantium
    2/ Turkish
    In fact, I haven't played any campaign with other nations than these two yet. It is fun to be in the front line when the golden horde appears. Every time I start a new campaign, I'm like: hmm, no byz this time played them already 15 times.... turks? naah... So... Byz then?
    Well, yesterday, I started an Aragon campaign, so that will be the first time I'll play a Catholic faction. I wonder if I'll be able to manage...

Personally, my favourite faction for campaign is the Aragonese, but they're never on any polls.

So in terms of this poll, my preference would be more like this:

1. HRE (whom I voted for)
    2. Spanish
    3. Sicilians

Member Member Sir Zack de Caldicot's Avatar

I Love the Italians, The Danish, And the Irish and scottish (both modded into my Original MTW campaign)

Sir Zack
    I WANT ROME - TOTAL WAR

english get 1 of the best starting positions and if u know how 2 use it well, u would be very powerful..esp with flanders and sweden ripe 4 the takin..thats wat i do...get sweden and send the french into exile then juz build my trading fleet up and fr there take ur pick..
    Keep up the Support CA
    and please don't rush your next installment ;)

Depends on what I feel like really.

Byzantines/turks/egyptions are nice since you can nab byzantium (constantinople) and build up a large enough force of spearman to repel the initial hoard attack instead of having to deal with them later.
    "What the hammer? what the chain?
    In what furnace was thy brain?"

Robbing the rich since 1066 Member Lord Armbandit's Avatar

I've only really played with the english on campaign so far. I generally like to take Scotland and Wales (bribe them for scandalously early longobws) and then pour into France, destroy them before the pope gets shirty, and then have a bit of peace to build up proper defending armies. Then, I crush spain, march all along north africa and crusade the holy land to death

And talking of being in the front line for the GH, I usually am by the time they arrive I remember in my last campaign, I had to defend Georgia three times in a row from the marauding horsemen. Very Very bloody battles, Very Very many casualties, but with the terrain to help me, I emerged victorious all three times. That stopped them

I've also only used the English on multiplayer, and never been beaten yet, though I came very close attacking a turkish army full of Jannissaries. Those guys are tough

The thing with medieval is that because I've only used the english so far, I have another whole bunch of games left over, because I have all the other factions to explore. This has to be the deepest and most satisfying game experience around. I'd still be playing it in five years, but I imagine my head will be turned by RTW before then......
    Voting is an illusion to allow the common man to believe he has some control.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

nice to see you enjoying it armbandit.

as for my choices:

HRE
    turks
    byz
    english
    french
    aragonese

Used to not even have HRE. I just finished a turtling GA game with them and found it great fun.

their GAs are most interesting, along with the French ones.

Turks and Byz both get so many cool unique units.

English starting position is great and no one can resist longbows.

aragonese is a bit more of a challenge than the spanish and lancers just rock

I like playing as the polish is single player, I haven't tried multiplayer yet, for some reason the game won't recognize my cd key....

Member Member Maychargewithoutorders's Avatar

My fav is the danish, prob cos its cool to be able to burn your new province to the ground get instant cash then leave. Use the money to built more troops and it begins again I know u can do it with anyone but it just isnt the same........

Plus a hoarde of screaming vikings pouring out of woodland into an armys flank can be very satisfying and cheap to make

Favorite 3 are probably English, HRE and Aragonese.
    They all have really good campaigns.

Though I've voted for the English as I've been playing them on multiplayer with quite a bit of success recently.
    ''I DON'T. Buy the tomatoes with. The stems. On them. They don't. Degrade. They go. Down the sink. And into the WATER. Then. They get lodged in the throats of little. OTTERS.''
    C Walken.

Shirohida stronghold, Yakamoto mountains, Minbar

Byz are my favorites. Great starting location and opportunity to fight everyone. I like the challenge. Danes are great yes and I like the great early units if you have the V.I. on. Aragonese are more difficult Danes, and that makes them a worthy and hard challenge as well.
    Show me a true warrior, and I will follow him as my lord for all eternity.

1. byz
    2. danes
    3. Spanish

I like the byz in High period, lots of action.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Byzantines have to be my favorite because, well, they are Byzantine
    Orthodox and Roman
    That they start off with so many strengths is a bonus.
    In particular, high Influence, a balanced army and a commanding location in the mediterranean.
    .increase the peace

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I prefer the Italians. When you get trading up and running, the trifecta of Venice, Naples and Sicily just makes them richer than sin. Never worry about money again. Lose a battle? Make a new column in 2 turns Not to mention, they too have a great starting position.... depending on how you play it, you've got the HRE, the French, the Byz, the Hungarians all within striking distance and the Spanish, English and Poles very shortly after that.

I haven't played multi-player yet. I just don't have that much time to throw into the game at one-sitting. I tend to play in 1/2 hour to 1 hour snippets as the wife, the kids and the dogs allow.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

I don't know why people think the Aragonese is so hard.

It's quite easy to nab navarre, Toulouse (autoceasefire), and valencia and from there you can sit back and develop or kill the Spanish for valor bonused Knights Santiago in Leon and you can do a nice North Africa Crusade run.

ver sastisfying to have more than 4 stacks worth of Knights of Santiago and Order Foot.

It's pretty overpowered in early.

besides, the Pope pays you too

The Spanish was the first campaign i played until completion, from start to finish. They were also the first with which i specialized my provinces very narrowly (2 or 3 buildings, besides some support), which increased my joy in the game a lot.

The naval position of the Spanish is nice too, guarding the Strait of Gibraltar and being able to attack anywhere except Poland or deep into Germany. Had some BIG naval battles with the Italians and Byzantines, before invading Venice and Constantinople for the real battles of course. (to knock them out of the glory race, the Byzantines don't even have to try the bastards).

Did anybody ever get points for that Iberian Spanish civilization.. 31 different buildings? With catholics? 28 max? 31 Upgrades? I had 35+ upgrades (if you count a master bowyer as 3 upgrades for example) in each of the four provinces easily, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it...

As for the other glory goals, I'm beginning to understand how all of them REALLY work and that they are NOT bugged. (But that's a different post altogether).

sunsmountain
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

playing the almohads is really fun

my rules are:

1. NOT defeat the spanish

2. attack the papacy (but NOT finishing them off) -> to keep crusaders coming and roast them in the dessert

3. try to become the only muslim faction

you´ll get really tough battles when playing like that. in the beginning i´m usually doing well. but when time goes by and the ai gets more advanced units it´s getting more and more fun

my last game i started in early. at the moment (1210) i´ve got some really fun going in spain, battling the spanish and english and german crusaders.
    in the east i just had killed the egyptians and invaded the turkish empire (stretching from the holy lands to constantinople).
    i just got kicked my ass the turks unlike the catholics really do know about dessert warfare i lost several provinces and i´m hopeing to be able to stop them in tunisia.
    really fun

I usually play as the English or Byz.

SP Campaign Early
    1. Huns
    2. Byz
    3. Danes/Turks (tied)

SP Battles
    1. Egypt/Almo&#39;s in the desert
    2. England
    3. Spain
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

turk all the way.
    To win without risk is to have victory without glory.

I&#39;m yet to find a faction I don&#39;t like. Used to lean towards the Danes, Biz and Spanish. Later the Turks, Germans and Huns. Now I don&#39;t have a favorite. Come to think of it I don&#39;t have to. Own the disk, own the pc and own my free time. I can play whichever faction I want wipeeee

well said, lancer. It&#39;s also too hard for me to come up with a really definite favorite.

I&#39;ve played every faction once and taken them to victory and found each to be a different strategic and tactical position.

BTW, really helps to play all the factions and know the opposition.

Ideal to know starting units where they are how many etc. for purposes of early rushing.