Thread: CAPOS GUIDE TO PEASANT INFANTRY, and Militia

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Welcome to my Guide to Peasant Infantry,
    here I will explain uses for peasants, highland infantrys, woodsmen, and many other units.
    To Start: An intro to Peasants
    Peasant infantry refers to any non professional soldier unit. Most are pathetically weak and deserve death, which is what they usually get. However, they do have there uses, which, some will surprise you.
    A comprehensive list to peasantry:
    Peasants
    Muslim Peasants
    Fanatics
    Kerns
    Woodsmen
    Highland Infantry.
    I think that covers it.
    STATAGIES:
    a- Meatsheild
    The Main use for peasants is to slow down the advance of an enemy army so you can position your better troops, like FMAAs.
    To do this is simple.
    First select all of your peasant units.
    Then order them to move to the Enemies Flank
    then Charge.
    Most of them will die. But they will slow your enemy down, perfect if your waiting for your re-inforcemnts to arrive.
    b- Bridge-sheild
    Here's another stratagy:
    First, position your pissants (peasants) on a bridge, with longbows, or x-bows behind them, followed by your heavey infantry, then Knights or Lancers. Let your enemy charge the bridge. Your Peasants will hold them off for a few minutes so your archers can do some damage,
    once they are dead, charge your knights and move in your infantry,
    fight them untill either your dead (Hopelessly outnumbered or outgunned) or they are dead.
    c- Anti-pike woodsmen and fanatics
    In case you didn't know, woodsmen and fanatics are VERY effective V.S. Pikes. Haveing a few units of Woodsmen in your armies when versing pike heavy armies can save your cavalry a hell of alot of trouble.
    To do this simply wait till you see the pikes and send in your woodsmen.
    I've done some tests.
    The woodsmen will lose 20-75% of their unit.
    The Pikes may lose 100-150 men (depending on the size of the units, I use large)
    This may also apply to spears.
    d- Glory Charge.
    Scenario- Your outnumber your enemy 10 to one, but you have only peasants. Just Charge your enemy (don't retreat the battle, this is more usefull) and kill as many as you can.
    Then, in a turn or two, get your technelogically advanced army to move in and save the provence.
    e- Anti-Archers
    Charge Archers en-masse. Kill archers. Simple enough.

MILITIA
    Militia are home-grown units, basically above Peasants, but below Men-At-Arms.

Urban Militia
    Halberds
    Militia Sergents
    Almo Urban Militia

No advance stratagies here, just that they are good against spears and pikes. Also, they can put a dent in Knights and MAAs.

Hope this helps some people.
    -Capo

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

good stuff.

note: slav warriors should also be included in peasantry and be in a mini class with clansmen and fanatics due to relatively good combat stats for peasantry with a high charge.

these make good flankers.

in addition, kerns should be classed simply as javs, not peasants.

as for militia, they are not really below M@a.

UM stink but high valor MS are really cost effective due to AP ability.

AUM are comparable to FMAA.

Halbs can actually beat FMAA and make a fight with CMAA a very pyrrhic victory not to mention the defense against cav bonus and AP ability which with some morale upgrades, are perhaps your most cost effective approach to counter later era catholic cav.

Member Member Sir Zack de Caldicot's Avatar

Yeah, Halbs are really useful, expescially on a bridge with Albalasters fighting Cav, Like the mongols. Infact that is my whole army when facing them

Sir Zack
    I WANT ROME - TOTAL WAR

Tooled up halberds can *slaughter* knights

yep, they are ideal for plug duty on bridges or defending gates.

morale upgrades are needed though so they don't soil their ample armor.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Billmen should also be considered a Halb Unit... But with better Morale and slightly less armour.

Use them the Same way as Halbs to churn up Cavalry and Knights...
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

In my experience, militia sergeants are life savers for economically challenged factions... A cheap (including one of the cheapest upkeeps in the game: sparing galloweglasses, woodsmen and gallowglasses) and universal defense unit. As germany, I'd just build hordes of these and use them defending wooded approaches to the faterland. When deployed in the dark hides of the black forests, militia sergeants are deadly to any armored braves who wander there on horsebacks... ;)

P.S. I've noticed that the AI does not count militia sergeants for much more than peasants since the armies they send to deal with my 10-12 unit strong militia hordes in the woods are pathetic.

Kristaps aka Kurlander
    A Livonian Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ April 26 2004,07:40)]Billmen should also be considered a Halb Unit... But with better Morale and slightly less armour.

Use them the Same way as Halbs to churn up Cavalry and Knights...
    Aye, yet they're trained as a spear unit.
    BTW, should camel warriors be considered peasant cavalry? since they can be trained right after you build your first fort in Syria, Arabia, Sinai and Egypt.

I have no experience with slav warriors, being I always play as England.
    I only put militia in because I didn't think anyone would read a guide on peasants.
    Thank you, whoever said it was good stuff.
    I actually wrote this because I wanted to share some of my stratagies with people
    Halberds kick ass
    Billmen kick more ass.
    Yes Halberds are good with bridges.
    High Valor, high armor and weapon UM kick ass to a certain degree
    I hate MS, I just use UM
    Never used AUM in my life, I assume they are good
    I was classifying them in terms of Infantry
    Shouldnt Celtic Warriors be up there too?
    -Capo

Why do you hate Freedom?

Quote[/b] (Caporegime1984 @ April 26 2004,16:21)]I hate MS, I just use UM
    Hmm, why do you hate militia sergeants? They have higher armor and higher defense than vanilla militia while they have the same upkeep: 30 pesos (on default unit size) as UM. :)
    Kristaps aka Kurlander
    A Livonian Rebel

Destroyer of Gauls Member bighairyman's Avatar

Quote[/b] ]Meatsheild
    lol , that cracks me up.

But peasants can be good soemthigns against samll armies, your can sent tothem atatck the rear of the enemy, this will give huge moral penatly to the enemy and route even higher class sodleirs if your frontal soldiers are pretty good. remebr some of the peasant class untis are quite good, clansmen and ideal light infantry for fights int eh desert, vikings and carls are also really good.
    No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards dying for their country.

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people.

why would anybody want to touch a girl's butt? Bart Sim

I just find them to be souped up UM. I don't really use Militia, anyway, just Billmen, FMAA, Feudal Knights, Sherwood Forsters (in 60 men units, thank you very much). My armies kick ass under me (i made me into a hero, 4 star traumatized, 9 acumen, 5 peity, 6 dread, and 8 loyalty, i kick ass)
    -capo

Why do you hate Freedom?

lol, you ever tried MS vs. UM, they are quite a bit better.

besides, MS's 3 armor barely qualifies it for desert combat which is useful in being armong the heavier stuff you bring in there.

@lancer, billmen are still halbs. the spear guild req doesn't mean much other than it's good against cav.

it's just like you don't have axesmiths but it goes under swordsmiths.

yes, I would consider bedouins peasants. they dismount into them in sieges anyhow.

however, +2 attk, +4 defesnse vs. cav shouldn't be sneered at, best, most cost effective way to beat on heavy cav in the desert.

Urwendur Ūrībźl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    Peasants do have their use.
    [*] Pin infantry units for javelin/naptha attacks;[*] Garrison provinces until you have spies;[*] Keep castles for long time when you retreat from a province for your Terminatorish return; [*] Assault wooden castles/palisades;[*] Make training toys for your spies/inqs... [/list]

_
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, RIP Hore Tore & Adrian II

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

I like peasents because it can be used to decieve

How? I use the 1337 STRAGETY It si a vary good stragety Did u evar kno that muwahids look exactly like peasents on the battlefield? You pick peasents in custom battle and your opponent will go "OH NOS 1600 MUWAHID FOOT RUNNNNNN" AND VICTARY WILL BE YUORS

me like naptha pinner.

ever tried bridge battles with a unit of peasants blocking the bridge in hold hold?

they can actually last long enough for you to lob a couple of grenades into the now stationary enemy.

it's beautiful when the khan charges across the bridge and gets nailed by 5 units of napthas due to being held up by peasants

don't expect your peasants to last or survive but it's actually quite hilarious

Naptha is the best anti-khan weapon As the Turks the khan was the last man in his unit and it was raining arrows and rocks and he still woudn't go down. Sent down some naptha throwers and boom he goes down in flames

yep, those grenades sure don't care how many lives or hitpoints you have nor armour.

it just makes sure you go out in a blaze of glory. BOOM Poof there goes the khan