Thread: 2 crusades at once?

How is it that the computer can send out multiple crusades at once when I am restricted to one? I heard somewhere that the AI was restricted with the same rules as the player, but clearly this can not be so...

You can have multiple crusades if the pope calls for one against a specific faction. Let's say you launch a regular crusade against the Almos, then a turn later the pope calls for a crusade against the Turks, now you have permission to launch a 2nd crusade. As long as the pope calls for a crusade you're allowed to have more than one, though i'm not sure if you could launch more than two even if the pope called for it.
    Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
    Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
    Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
    My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

I think that the way it is phrased is that the Pope usually only allows a faction one Crusade at a time, but it is not unusual to see the AI-controlled factions with more than one at a time

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

this is the third thread about this that i have replied to, so i'll keep this one short. there are a couple steps involved in getting multi-crusades.
    for crusades against cathos
    a)excommed (at this point you could launch a crusade if you didn't already have any on the go)
    b)an actual request to crusade against a given faction made by the pope (now you can launch as many crusades as you want)

it is essensially the same against different religions, there is just no x-com b4hand.

60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (octavian @ April 25 2004,21:53)]b)an actual request to crusade against a given faction made by the pope (now you can launch as many crusades as you want)
    Yeah, I had two French crusades knocking on my Egyptian doors last night (Constantinople and Algeria) - the Pope has put out a call three times for me. Question: is a faction allowed 1 crusade per call, or just an arbitrary number once the call's been made?

Anyway, you'll be happy to hear they bounced . To (mis)quote Doug-Thompson a while back, I hit 'em with my big bag of florins . Archers, saracens, Armenian heavy cavalry and a bit of out-manouevering of those sluggish Templars... Is it me, or are AHC darn good, kinda like Ghazis on horseback?

Tangentially: I see a lot of threads about how poor vanilla archers are in MTW but I seem to get a lot of value out of them. In that defence of Constantinople I had four units of archers, nicely lined in ranks of two, peppering French Templars who were refusing to charge uphill into my waiting saracens - and the Templars were dropping like flies I was expecting to get a mauling, but a few minutes of that and a final charge from the AHC and they were off. 10-to-1 casualty ratio in my favour against a crusader army, with nothing but archers, AHC and saracens and ghazis who never really got involved, just hung about looking menacing . OK, I'm only playing normal, but even so I was surprised.
    Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding...
    - Jethro Tull, Broadsword

you should be able to launch as many crusades as you like once the pope has asked for a crusade.
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

seems like Muslims are better cuz i often have 10+ Jihads going at the exact same time and i can do that whenever i want to.

well, crusades can be launched offensively at many more provinces. jihads can only be launched at provs you held at some point. But for the muslims jihads are easy to abuse - only cost 500 florin but almost always generate more than that in troops, you can launch a billion of them, and when they succeed each one boosts your ruler's piety and influence.

Urwendur Ūrībźl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    About boosting influence, multiple jihads to a single province don't seem to add more than one influence mark. At least it has worked like that in my recent Egyptian campaign.
    _
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, RIP Hore Tore & Adrian II

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

i loaded an old egyptian campaign, made sure borders were stable, built 3 jihads, then offed the old sultan. new sultan has 6Influence, 3Piety. Launched 2 Jihads at a single territory and +2I, +2P. Reloaded game, launched 3 jihads at a single territory and +3I, +3P. Looks like a clear +1I/+1P per jihad.

-
    Then, there must be a negative effect neutralising my sultan's extra influence points. Do vices have anything on this? My guy is strange. Don't ask me why I let him to the throne.
    _

When i reloaded my old campaign i purposely ran off 4 turns to allow things to settle down (auto-calced a few invasions already in progress) and reinforced my borders to prevent any other +/- province activity. Then offed my old sultan since he had 9I and 7P. Did you lose any other provs? break an alliance? revolts or rebellions? failed jihads? any of those on the same turn you get the successful jihad parchments would modify influence downward.

-
    Let's see:
    [*] Lost province? Nope.[*] Revolt/rebellion? Nope.[*] Broken alliance? Nope.[*] Failed jihad? Nope.[/list]
    We are at a loss as to who ordered the death of your monarch's influence points.

Will need to wait for the next crusade to see what happens.
    _

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

who cares? launch 4+ jihads at a single provinces and have them all succeed in the same year and you shall have max piety regardless of previous piety and +4 influence which most likely maxes it out.

BTW, in a recent Turk game, I used Imams to boost Const. to 100% muslim and 80% zeal. I spam Jihad markers there and each yields at least 5 silver armored futuwwas as well as many turcoman foot, turcoman horse and assorted other troops.

50k jihad soldiers descend upon khazar and the once mighty horde is no more

BTW, my sultan's influence and piety absolutely went off the charts. from like 5, 3 to running off the page