Thread: Tips on how to use javelin units

I was wondering if anybody had tips on how to use javelin units like kerns and almughavars properly and to the best effect...I often have trouble with these units and was wondering how usefull they can be.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I use to think they were a bit crap but i wasn't using them properly. Put them safely behind your infantry and lend them bombard the enemy or pepper the slower units if its a infantry enemy but watch out for cavalry.
    The almughavers can also fight quite well so throw them in the melee after there ammunition is exhausted. Kerns are fast and perfect in chasing routed troops off the field

Check this link out:

javelins

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

also, see the teach me to use HA thread in the main hall.

it quickly turned into teach jav thread.

very effective with cheap fast foot and also HAs.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

The easiest method is to use them as supporting fire.

1. Switch skirmish to hold formation. Switch off fire at will Put them in close formation. I like two ranks deep. Others prefer three.

2. If possible, put a javelin unit behind a front-line infantry unit that's only two ranks deep. Shortens the throw.

Since most spear units fight best in four ranks and pikes at five and should not be reduced to less than that, expect to have less effective javelin fire and more friendly-fire casualties if you put javelins behind a regular spear unit.

One clear exception to the four-rank rule is Muwahid Foot, which fight better in two ranks and set to engage at will, even though they're armed with spears. I'd also make an exception for Slav Infantry and put them in three ranks when they have javelin support instead of archers.

4. When the melee starts, move your javelins right up behind the fighting line as close as humanly possible. Order them to fire only when they are as close as they can get. Note also that the target is being held still in melee.

Javelins are effective against anything, but are very effective against armored units. They'll kill unarmored units, but that's something of a waste. They're extremely effective against knights who are stuck in melee. Knights are armored, a big target with their horses and in relatively small-sized units.

5. When either the enemy unit routs or your unit is out of javelins, switch to engage at will and melee attack the enemy.

All javelin units are fast. Therefore, they make decent router chasers. Some are better than others because of higher melee values, but all will do a decent job at making sure the enemy doesn't rally.

If possible, let the javelin unit take care of the pursuit and use the melee unit to strike some other enemy unit, preferably from behind.

In many cases, it will be quite worthwhile to break off the pursuit if your throwers have some ammo left. Sometimes you halt your javelins, turn them around -- and see the backs of some powerful armored unit that you passed in the chase.

==================

A couple of little points:

Weather doesn't bother javelins, unlike archers. So, if you have a lot of javelins and your enemy has a lot of archers, don't pass up the chance to engage him in foul weather.

Javelins gain from a height advantage even more than archers. A knight unit in melee that's hit by full-strength javelin men from a height is a dead knight unit.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Doug covered most of it, but don't neglect using javs to flank units. Having a spear unit 'hold' an attacking unit, flank around with your javs and open fire. The armour piercing + attack from the rear will make them fall like wheat. You can either continue to fire, or follow up with a charge, usually routing said unit.

Bh

The best place for javelineers, in my opinion, is defending against that pesky golden horde..

It's lovely to see steppe heavy cav fall like flies because they engage in a missile duel with 60 cheap javelineers.. Lovely :)

this is a reason to like these little buggers; when you engage a missile unit with them (any missile unit) that unit will not skirmish away, but simply stand, and eat toothpicks.. Large, pointy, nasty looking toothpicks :)
    Crusades... They should stay medieval.

I use infantry to hold the enemy in position and then bombard them with javelins while they are locked in combat. I have found this to be the most effective way.

yep, bhuric makes a good point in addition to what doug covered.

note: javs are fast, hence flanking enemies and going to the rear doesn't take much time.

the attack from behind would not only have an attack bonus, but also negate the shield.

this is really useful against units with large shields like AUMs.

otherwise, I might not bother.

hmm nvr really used javelins in my combat so far, mayb when my exams r over i give a go as the spanish..
    Keep up the Support CA
    and please don't rush your next installment ;)

Thank you , this was all very helpfull...they are quite usefull on those armourd units aren't they? Ill certainly be using them more often. Again, thanks for the help

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Re: Flanking.

Put your javs into the 2 or 3 rank formation first, then hit wedge. They're much easier to move in a wedge than in a long firing line.

Then, when you get them moved where you want them AND pointed in the right direction (very important), hit the close formation button and they'll unfurl beautifully into their firing line -- provided you put them in a spot where there's enough room.

===============

If your javs are caught in melee with the target unit and you want them out, hit skirmish.

This will cause the javs to break contact, if possible, but stay in useful range of the target, and doesn't require any micro. Just don't forget to switch skirmish off when you're ready to attack again.

"In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

nice tips for breaking contact.

I always find switching between wedge and close to be useful for cav as they can turn on a dime with wedge as well as hit with the force of a wedge adn yet later get wrap around effect of one line charge if you switch at the right time.