Thread: Alliances

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Diplomacy is supposed to be improved in RTW so here's a suggestion.

I frequently marry princesses into a few select kingdoms in order to cement relationships (although I'm not sure if there is a cumulative effect). It would be nice to see info about the strength of alliances and to definitely have an effect of marriage (I've yet to see a king die without heirs and find another king taking over).
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

me too, i agree,, i would also like these 2 options,, when your king dies in campaign mode, that you can still go on in the game like in an idle state kinda watching what the other factions do for a few turns and in like a pre determined amount of turns,, that an heir from your king resufaces and takes back some land,,, or this ( i dont know if it already does this i havent seen it yet in MTW ) that when you have married your princess into another faction you are "supposd" to have a claim to some of thier land when the faction dies out,, at least that what it says in the book it comes with i believe, but i havent seent hat happen i have only seen rebels just take over the land,,,, also with emissaries, i wish that you could make treaties with other factions without having to bribe them, i mean the computer doesnt bribe you whent hey offer alliance or a cease fire, why should you have to bribe the computer?

Formerly Maximus Aurelius

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]when you have married your princess into another faction you are "supposd" to have a claim to some of thier land when the faction dies out,, at least that what it says in the book it comes with i believe, but i havent seent hat happen i have only seen rebels just take over the land,,,, also with emissaries, i wish that you could make treaties with other factions without having to bribe them, i mean the computer doesnt bribe you whent hey offer alliance or a cease fire, why should you have to bribe the computer?
    Beleive it or not it does happen but is very, very rare for it to happen.

I think you have to stay allies with them until their faction demise, and the faction leader (who has to be married with your princess) has to die of natural causes without an heir. I heard it doen't work if he dies from assassination.

With regards to making an alliance in MTW, you have to drop your emissary onto the faction leader, or an emissary belonging to the other faction. (a much better way to do it)

Dropping an emissary onto a general just initiates bribery mode.

Rebels cannot have alliances made with them as they are Peasant scum that deserve death and conquest.

Anyway according to what CA has said of this, diplomacy will be good in RTW. You can make different types of alliances with factions... Trade rights, Military Co-Operation, even the ability to get permission to cross each other's territory, or bully minor factions and demand tribute be paid to you

Should be great
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

yeah i heard about the new diplomacy in RTW , it sounds great,,, thanks for the insight on the briberyt hing and the taking over of land,,,i am sure it is very very rare, b/c i havent seen it yet lol
    Formerly Maximus Aurelius

Ill be happy if in RTW my ally actualy stays my ally and helps me.

IE.

english campaign attacking the french, im allied witht he germans...

i decide to invade a province and the germans send only 20 horses to help.... wtf?

and on several other times my ally declares war with me for no reason.

British Army: be the best

I was just thinking it could bring an added level of complexity (and possibly interest). For now, succession is virtually assured for your 'in country' heir, but if you've married into other royal lines they should also have a claim. Maybe even a stronger claim than a weak heir. Even a cursory glance at european history suggest that these events were extremely common.
    E Tenebris Lux

My king died of old age with 2 heirs 1 and 2 years within coming of age in VI today.

Point being in cases like that, perhaps allowing a younger king with penalties, civil war, regency. So many possibilities.
    HOF Winner 2003 - Sig Maker

Expert Attacker Member oblivious maximus's Avatar

We have heard that the diplomacy has improved from MTW and am most happy about that. Considering how bad the diplomacy is in MTW, im worried a little because it would not take much to improve it.

Destroyer of Gauls Member bighairyman's Avatar

Quote[/b] ]Rebels cannot have alliances made with them as they are Peasant scum that deserve death and conquest.
    Not all rebels are peasants, some rebels have good soldiers, maybe rebels can form semi alliances with other states, like some of nation now that finance terrorist, they don't exactly control them, but give them money and they will help do stuff.

No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards dying for their country.

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people.

why would anybody want to touch a girl's butt? Bart Sim

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Maximus Aurelius @ April 26 2004,15:14)]yeah i heard about the new diplomacy in RTW , it sounds great,,, thanks for the insight on the briberyt hing and the taking over of land,,,i am sure it is very very rare, b/c i havent seen it yet lol
    Trust me I have been playing MTW for ages and I have never had it happen to my faction...

There was this one time when my last Sicillian King who was married to a Hungarian Princess died heirless and the Hungarians claimed all my former provinces.

Never had it work in my favor though.

Quote[/b] ]Not all rebels are peasants, some rebels have good soldiers, maybe rebels can form semi alliances with other states, like some of nation now that finance terrorist, they don't exactly control them, but give them money and they will help do stuff.
    Don't we already have that with Mercs? A bunch of hired swords ready to do stuff for you.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

I seem to remember CA once stating "Imagine Civilization 3 - Thats basically what we're aiming for, except better" (Quote may be a bit off but thats basically it).

Now, Civ 3's AI might have sucked, but its diplomacy wasn't really that bad, although the AI tended only to pay tribute for tech and laugh at you when you demanded money despite having tanks vs his archers. Hopefully that wont make its way into RTW lol.

*watches army of marian legions die against peasants*
    HOF Winner 2003 - Sig Maker

How does a republic do royal marriages?
    .increase the peace

Quote[/b] (meravelha @ April 27 2004,23:52)]How does a republic do royal marriages?
    By definition it cant, but the powerful families still intermarried in order to cement relationships (as with all 'nobility').

In any case, it doesnt change the idea that it would be nice to have a way to influence and measure the state of alliances.
    E Tenebris Lux

I need to change my armor Member Sir Robin's Avatar

That is the biggest thing that strategy games should borrow from Europa Universalis. Having a rating system showing how well you are getting along with your neighbors.

I hope the diplomatic AI can come close to simulating the convoluted relationships from that era.
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Maximus Aurelius @ April 26 2004,15:14)
    yeah i heard about the new diplomacy in RTW , it sounds great,,, thanks for the insight on the briberyt hing and the taking over of land,,,i am sure it is very very rare, b/c i havent seen it yet lol

Trust me I have been playing MTW for ages and I have never had it happen to my faction...

There was this one time when my last Sicillian King who was married to a Hungarian Princess died heirless and the Hungarians claimed all my former provinces.

i have had it work in my favour before, once with the polish king, i had taken most of his provinces and then my princess married their new heirless king.

he went to war and died and i got his one land.
    thanks, dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccol˛ Machiavelli.

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ April 26 2004,09:16)]english campaign attacking the french, im allied witht he germans...

i decide to invade a province and the germans send only 20 horses to help.... wtf?

and on several other times my ally declares war with me for no reason.
    That's because nobody trusts the English...

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ April 27 2004,02:43)]
    Quote[/b] (Maximus Aurelius @ April 26 2004,15:14)]yeah i heard about the new diplomacy in RTW , it sounds great,,, thanks for the insight on the briberyt hing and the taking over of land,,,i am sure it is very very rare, b/c i havent seen it yet lol

It happened to me while playing with the English. In 1201, being allied with Aragon, through Princess marriage (I had been allied with them since 1106), the Aragonese King dies of disease, without heirs. I got 3 provinces for free (Aragon, Navarre and Valencia).

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Ashen @ April 27 2004,21:32)]I seem to remember CA once stating "Imagine Civilization 3 - Thats basically what we're aiming for, except better" (Quote may be a bit off but thats basically it).

Now, Civ 3's AI might have sucked, but its diplomacy wasn't really that bad, although the AI tended only to pay tribute for tech and laugh at you when you demanded money despite having tanks vs his archers. Hopefully that wont make its way into RTW lol.
    That would be sweet. Civ diplo, MTW battles mmmm....

lol, judging from MTW, CA seems to enjoy infusing AI with suicidal tendencies